Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > North American Racing

Old 15 Mar 2024, 14:02 (Ref:4201327)   #501
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
John Doohan will do a big announcement right now.

I would guess it's Ford-Ganassi in GTP, but you never know.
Old 15 Mar 2024, 14:43 (Ref:4201333)   #502
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Or he’s just started the successor to this thread
Old 15 Mar 2024, 15:37 (Ref:4201347)   #503
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
Oh wow. I can't imagine people waking up for that.
Old 19 Mar 2024, 20:21 (Ref:4201914)   #504
Geer van der Helm
Rookie

Geer van der Helm should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So, howbdo you folks rate my son Tijmen van der Helm in GTP? I know most were critical, because him being a pay driver.
Old 20 Mar 2024, 10:21 (Ref:4201959)   #505
veeten
Veteran

United States
Temple Hills, Md.
veeten should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridveeten should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Hey, well he did pretty good. Very solid driving.
Old 20 Mar 2024, 12:42 (Ref:4201978)   #506
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geer van der Helm View Post
So, howbdo you folks rate my son Tijmen van der Helm in GTP? I know most were critical, because him being a pay driver.
Anyone critical of a driver purely on the fact they're a pay driver does not understand motorsport - especially endurance racing. Pay drivers are essential to the sport.
Old 20 Mar 2024, 13:26 (Ref:4201980)   #507
Coach Ep
Veteran

Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!
He's kinda under the radar, don't you think? It's hard to tell from the outside who's in the car when it flashes by so have to look at data (lap/stint times per driver) to make a more accurate assessment.
Old 20 Mar 2024, 20:53 (Ref:4202054)   #508
Geer van der Helm
Rookie

Please do. Outpacing his teammates in the last 3 seasons. Porsche now assisting in making mileage in GT3 too.
Old 21 Mar 2024, 01:36 (Ref:4202071)   #509
Coach Ep
Veteran

Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!
Didn't you race yourself at one point, BRL series comes to mind (or was it Supercar Challenge)?
Old 21 Mar 2024, 10:58 (Ref:4202091)   #510
Geer van der Helm
Rookie

? my passion was with karting, but raced in DNRT, WEK and Westfield cup.
Old 21 Mar 2024, 16:56 (Ref:4202141)   #511
GT3_Fan
Racer

GT3_Fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGT3_Fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
https://www.imsa.com/news/2024/03/19...et-separately/

Interesting article about GTD Pro and GTD Am dynamic. Seems to be less of an issue with more "pro" cars now. But I guess when a safety car comes out and the GTP leader is between the two "class" leaders. The leaders in each group end up a lap apart and the one area they don't do wave arounds is here. So I guess that is how the GTD Pro (and overall GT) winner ended up 2 laps ahead of the GTD Am winner at Sebring? It was not because of pace?
Old 21 Mar 2024, 17:22 (Ref:4202144)   #512
tomcug
Veteran

tomcug should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Above all it was an unfortunate end to the race for JDC's Porsche due to mechanical issue or whatever happened there. Looking at what Proton's Porsche was doing, they most likely could have challenged for TOP5 positions. But still let's take a look at laptimes (yellows, in-/outlaps and damage to the car in Hour 1 were excluded):

DriverNo lapsFastestAverage allTop 20 averageTop 40 average
P. Hanson641:51.0951:52.6921:51.6321:52.068
T. van der Helm521:50.6721:52.5531:51.4891:52.411
R. Westbrook621:50.7301:52.8231:51.4981:52:447

Looking at data available, your son did well in that race Top 40 is a bit flawed due to premature end to the race for the 85 car... Better luck next races to them.
Old 25 Mar 2024, 17:11 (Ref:4202741)   #513
SidewaysSyd
Rookie

SidewaysSyd should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi again..Syd here from the UK. About time I posted my thoughts on the Sebring 12 Hours, or rather on the spectator experience, because I really didn't know much about the race as it happened. I did go for the $75 inside parking in the end and I'm glad I did. I parked up opposite the grandstands and had only 5 minutes to wait for the pitwalk so it was great to see all the cars lined up..my first time to see these awesome new hypercars. I headed to turn 7 for the start and that was where my problems began. It would be good if some signposts were put up pointing to where the turns are..it's difficult to find your way round when every square foot of infield space is taken up with camping and motorhomes. At turn 7 there was a good view of the jumbo screen, but there was no commentary. In fact, I was incredulous that the very first commentary I heard was at turn 5 (I think) at 6.30pm! I knew there was no wi-fi at the circuit (read that on the website) but it said there was a good cellphone signal so I reckoned I could follow the race that way but for my iPhone (using roaming on my UK SIM card) the signal was poor and I could never find a strong enough signal to get to any website...though I saw plenty of people successfully online so maybe it was my roaming service. Next, I tried with my camera zooming onto the jumbo screen to view positions, but the resolution wasn't sufficient. At the first safety car period, I set off walking round (I ended up with 25000 steps by the end of day) and there were definitely some good positions for photos..at the end I was very happy with the results. The heat was a bit of an ordeal..90F or so all day. I didn't bring any water with me as I didn't want to carry the weight of water around all day and while drinks onsite would be more expensive, I'd take the hit for the convenience of buying drinks around the circuit all day. No chance! The first drinks I found were at 2pm near turn 5! (I didn't hear any commentary then but the way..but it was there when I went back later for another drink at 6.30). I asked the the woman serving if she knew of more drinks around the circuit but she said she thought they were the only one. Before that, I'd lost the will to live by about midday and went back to the car and cooled down with the aircon for 20 minutes and listened to the commentary on the radio. The second time I went back to the car, about 4pm, I drove off to get near to some other corners but without signs it was tricky - I'd head off in the right direction but then making turns to try and find a space left me with no idea where I was. Next, so much trackside is blocked off by motorhomes. I went to turn one to get the sunset shot, but the only place to get the cars with sun directly behind them was taken up by 2 massive campers. Earlier on, I'd gone up to the fence in other places by walking between motorhomes and got some dirty looks from people as if they "owned' the space..I was made to feel unwelcome. Thankfully the guys with these two motorhomes were fine and one couple invited me onto their balcony which was perfect. After these shots, the last thing I did was to head to turn 10 to get the red-hot brake discs shot - success. Now the sun had gone, it was dark, and I'd reached the end of my patience -10 hours into the race and apart from 40 minutes in my car and half an hour with commentary by turn 5, I had no idea how the race was progressing so I didn't think there was any point in staying any longer. It was a bit of an unsatisfactory day all round. Great to see a big field of fantastic prototypes and GTs, but even for a life long race fan, just watching cars go round with no idea of positions couldn't sustain me for long. Sorry guys. P.S. I hate Silverstone (a black hole of atmosphere - you certainly can't say that about Sebring) but they do a better job of the spectator experience
Old 25 Mar 2024, 18:10 (Ref:4202751)   #514
JT240Z
Racer

United States
Geogria
JT240Z should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJT240Z should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Sorry to hear that you didn't have a good experience. Too bad you couldn't have hooked up with some more seasoned Sebring enthusiasts. They could have helped you negotiate some of the obstacles you encountered. Seabring is a great place to share with friends. Lots of atmosphere, parties and a race as well.
Old 25 Mar 2024, 18:36 (Ref:4202756)   #515
SidewaysSyd
Rookie

SidewaysSyd should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JT240Z View Post
Sorry to hear that you didn't have a good experience. Too bad you couldn't have hooked up with some more seasoned Sebring enthusiasts. They could have helped you negotiate some of the obstacles you encountered. Seabring is a great place to share with friends. Lots of atmosphere, parties and a race as well.
Agreed JT - I meant to put that in my diatribe...that it would have been much better with friends who knew their way around or if I'd been there on Friday to get accustomed. Going as a complete novice to a massive event with a huge crowd for just the main day wasn't the best way to do it, but it was my only option
Old 25 Mar 2024, 21:15 (Ref:4202770)   #516
fergus_r
Veteran

United Kingdom
fergus_r should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfergus_r should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfergus_r should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Thanks for your detailed report Syd.

It was my fourth Sebring (also from the UK) and I very much felt the same as I did on my last trip back in 2019 - it's a great event, but once or twice is enough.

You mentioned the main issue, which is the RV/motorhome takeover - of course, this is par for the course at American motorsport events, but it's a particular pain at Sebring, with where they're allowed to park right up to the fence. This is nowhere near as big a problem at somewhere like Daytona, or Road Atlanta for Petit Le Mans, but those events are much newer.

Sebring has been known, for all its 72 12 Hours', as the place to party, so I completely understand why they still allow the RVs/motorhomes/campers to have a monopoly on the place. So I'm not saying Sebring should change, but it's fair to put it down as a negative, especially for a first-timer trying to watch the racing - and it's why I probably won't go back.

As it happens I was in Florida anyway, and went along for just the Wednesday and Thursday of the event this year. That was more than enough for me. I was happy with the support lineup this year - losing WEC was replaced by MX5s and Lamborghinis so the program was still pretty packed, and after a few years away it was great to be back in a much larger IMSA paddock, see the Hypercars for the first time, etc.

Wednesday is actually my favorite day because of the lack of RVs - far more of the track is accessible, which in turn makes it easier to actually see where to go next! As Syd points out, it's frustrating to get lost in the maze and quite often I've ended up having to venture through people's 'private' areas and have also received the aforementioned 'dirty' looks! It definitely doubles your step count without actually getting you any closer to the next corner...!
Old 25 Mar 2024, 21:43 (Ref:4202773)   #517
flatlandsman
Racer

Ireland
Daventry
flatlandsman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Much the same as I found Le Mans the time I went, (I will never go back)

Local organisers utterly unhelpful most info I got was from obviously fellow Brits.

I know it is a foreign place and I was not very good at French, but the only helpful people were the local traders and people who wanted our custom who in the villages I went to were lovely, helpful and friendly. I found it rather a dull and uninspiring place, only really coming alive at night.

I think with these trips you are better initially going on an organised tour, as a novice they are often so bad you feel like never going back and let's be fair you pay through the nose for tours.
Old 26 Mar 2024, 12:06 (Ref:4202851)   #518
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Wow, just a lot of why weren't they here for MY needs going on, but ok, great fewer people in the way then so that's a plus. But something I have literally heard from no one ever about going to sportscar race.

Looks like we're gonna be down one AWA Vette. Some reporting he's taken his car and going home and some there's issues with the car but the 17 AWA (teal and red one) and Mantella have left the team. It retired early in both Daytona and Sebring.

https://sportscar365.com/imsa/iwsc/m...ways-with-awa/

It appears they are actually done and single car for 24, car is up for sale now according to DSC

https://www.dailysportscar.com/2024/...t-of-2024.html
Old 26 Mar 2024, 23:10 (Ref:4202931)   #519
Enduranceracer
Rookie

United States
Florida
Enduranceracer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sorry to hear you had a bad experience.. This was my 47th 12 Hour and we welcome anyone to visit our 3 spots on exit of Turn 1. We had many ask to walk up and take pictures and no one was turned down along with always offering water and beers. Most at Sebring are more than willing to allow you to come in...It's all about the Sebring experience and again sorry that you did not have an awesome time.
Old 26 Mar 2024, 23:50 (Ref:4202936)   #520
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enduranceracer View Post
Sorry to hear you had a bad experience.. This was my 47th 12 Hour and we welcome anyone to visit our 3 spots on exit of Turn 1. We had many ask to walk up and take pictures and no one was turned down along with always offering water and beers. Most at Sebring are more than willing to allow you to come in...It's all about the Sebring experience and again sorry that you did not have an awesome time.
That sounds more like it, shade, rain protection and beverages often offered to all who aren't already proving they're gonna be a handful
Old 28 Mar 2024, 00:12 (Ref:4203070)   #521
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
? my passion was with karting, but raced in DNRT, WEK and Westfield cup.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomcug View Post
Above all it was an unfortunate end to the race for JDC's Porsche due to mechanical issue or whatever happened there. Looking at what Proton's Porsche was doing, they most likely could have challenged for TOP5 positions. But still let's take a look at laptimes (yellows, in-/outlaps and damage to the car in Hour 1 were excluded):

DriverNo lapsFastestAverage allTop 20 averageTop 40 average
P. Hanson641:51.0951:52.6921:51.6321:52.068
T. van der Helm521:50.6721:52.5531:51.4891:52.411
R. Westbrook621:50.7301:52.8231:51.4981:52:447

Looking at data available, your son did well in that race Top 40 is a bit flawed due to premature end to the race for the 85 car... Better luck next races to them.
Picking up on this. I looked at Daytona too.

Average Lap time (ranked by Top 100 laps).
RankCarFastestTop 50Top 100Top 150LapsGF
1Richard Westbrook (Porsche 85)1:36.6661:37.3501:37.6281:37.894270252
2Tijmen van der Helm (Porsche 85)1:36.1051:37.3401:37.7461:38.093232216
3Phil Hanson (Porsche 85)1:36.5861:37.5081:37.8431:38.176216179
4Ben Keating (Porsche 85)1:38.2881:39.672NANA7138
*GF are how many laps they crossed the line with a Green Flag.

Tijmen van der Helm had the fast lap. Westbrook was (slightly) the more consistent driver over more laps.
Attached Thumbnails
Porsche 85 drivers.png  

Last edited by Adam43; 28 Mar 2024 at 00:30.
Old 28 Mar 2024, 00:26 (Ref:4203071)   #522
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
I produced the chart for Sebring too. tomcug - recreating what you did

Average Lap time
RankCarFastestTop 10Top 20Top 40LapsGF
1Richard Westbrook (Porsche 85)1:50.7301:51.1721:51.4981:52.4476248
2Tijmen van der Helm (Porsche 85)1:50.6721:51.1031:51.5011:52.4965246
3Phil Hanson (Porsche 85)1:51.0951:51.4021:51.6321:52.0686456

I got slightly different averages for Top 20 and Top 40 for Tijmen van der Helm. Not sure why - I'll check my code later.

Anyway, looking at the two races the three main drivers are pretty evenly matched.

Conclusion Tijmen van der Helm is driving very well
Attached Thumbnails
Drivers 85.png  

Last edited by Adam43; 28 Mar 2024 at 00:33.
Old 9 Apr 2024, 14:17 (Ref:4204354)   #523
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
Interesting grid for Long Beach in GTD

Lexus bringing both cars, driver lineup tweak since GTD Pro ain't making the trip
https://racer.com/2024/04/08/vasser-...to-long-beach/

Flying Lizard coming over to IMSA with an Aston
https://sportscar365.com/imsa/iwsc/f...with-sabo-lee/
Old 10 Apr 2024, 05:07 (Ref:4204422)   #524
Geer van der Helm
Rookie

Thanks!
Old 10 Apr 2024, 17:20 (Ref:4204503)   #525
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadrun96 View Post
Interesting grid for Long Beach in GTD

Lexus bringing both cars, driver lineup tweak since GTD Pro ain't making the trip
https://racer.com/2024/04/08/vasser-...to-long-beach/

Flying Lizard coming over to IMSA with an Aston
https://sportscar365.com/imsa/iwsc/f...with-sabo-lee/
27 entries in total:

https://sportscar365.com/imsa/iwsc/2...or-long-beach/