Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Motorsport History

Old 28 Apr 2004, 09:26 (Ref:954351)   #1
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
A Weekend in 1980

In response to a question concerning the lack of BTCC Capri pictures on the web, I was prompted to look through my archives. Otherwise known as “that bloody box of rubbish in the loft”. So I thought I’d share the weekend of August bank holiday 24/25th 1980. The location, Brands Hatch and the meeting was the Pace Petroleum Trophy Meeting.

The weekend comprised 8 events with practice on the Sunday together with two races for the Formula Fords.

Race 1 was a FF1600 challenge race for those who didn’t qualify in the top half; Neil McGuigan in a Van Deimen RF 80 won it.

Race 2 was more significant (with respect to Mr McGuigan). The entry included a few “names” such As Andrew Gilbert Scot (Takuma Sato’s Manager), Tim Lee Davey (in a Mark Thatcher Racing Tiga FF79 Minister), Dave Coyne, et al. The race result was: - Tim Lee Davey, Dave Coyne, Mark Lippiatt, Kevin Gillen, Kenny Andrews, Andrew Gilbert-Scott, Stuart Ashwell, Robert Synge, Andy Nichols, Robert Meaton.

Event 3 on the Sunday was a “celebrity” race in aid of the Carol Hazell appeal in Sunbeam Ti’s.. The “racing” entry included: Howden Ganley, Mike Smith, John Surtees, Frank Williams, Damon Hill, Peter Gethin, Tim Lee-Davey. Others were Geoff Hurst (footballer), Gareth Hunt (actor), Lady Sarah Aspinall.

The result was, Mike Smith, John Surtees, Peter Gethin.

Event 4 was a bit special. Gerry Marshall, Willie Green, Sid Hoole, Stephen Langton, Stirling Moss, and many others in the Lloyds and Scottish Historic Car Championship. This ran in classes based upon age and type (Sports Car or Single Seater). The overall classification makes interesting reading.

Overall; Gerry Marshall (Lister Jaguar), Bruce Hallford (Lotus 16), David Ham (Lister Jaguar), Simon Phillips (Lotus 16), Michael Bowler (Lister Jaguar), Sid Hoole (Cooper Monaco).

Then came the feature event. This was won by Emillio De Villota in a Williams FW07, second was Kevin Cogan in a Wolf WR4 from Giacomo Agostini in a Williams FW06.

Event 5 the Tricentrol RAC British Saloon Car Championship. Leading the championship on 70 points was Win Percy, second was Alan Curnow and third was Andy Rouse. The championship ran in four classes. Significantly this year had seen the first win for a Rover 3500 in the hands of Geoff Allam at the British GP support race.

The result; Overall and Class A Gordon Spice (Capri), Andy Rouse (Capri), Rad Dougall (Capri), Vince Woodman (Capri), Rex Greenslade (Rover 3500), Holman Blackburn (Capri).

Class B (1601-2300cc) Win Percy (Mazda RX7), John Morrison (Mazda RX7) I failed to record any other finishers in this class.
Class C (1301 – 1600cc) Tony Lanfranchi (Audi 80), Stirling Moss (Audi 80), Richard Lloyd (Audi 80), David Morgan (Mitsubishi Colt Lancer GSR).
Class D (Up to 1300cc) Jon Dooley (Alfa Romeo Alfasud 1.3 Ti), John Mowatt (Mini 1275 GT), Geunda Eadie (Ford Fiesta), John Spiller (Talbot Avenger).

Event 7 was a Sports 2000 race with entries including a certain James Weaver. Also the late Ian Taylor was here with Syd Fox, Richard Eyre, Neil Crang, David Leslie, Jeremy Rossiter, John Sheldon.

The result? Well after the excitement of the Saloons I was obviously fatigued because I only got 1st to 4th and they were; Ian Taylor (Tiga SC80), James Weaver (Tiga SC80), John Sheldon (Tiga SC79), David Leslie (Unnamed car).

Then we got to event 8 a round of the Motorcraft Formula Ford 2000 Championship. Names of note included, Mike Taylor, Martin Brundle, Ian Kahn, Wil Arif and Andy Evans.

The result was Tim Davies (Royale RP27), Mike Taylor (Royale RP27), Martin Brundle (Reynard SF80), Wil Arif (Delta T80), Rob Cooper (Lola T280) and Julian Morley (Royale RP27).

After that we all went away quite happy. Makes you wonder why we don’t get meetings like that now.
Old 28 Apr 2004, 09:39 (Ref:954365)   #2
PaulSands
Veteran

England
Grantham
PaulSands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPaulSands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
No Frank Sytner in the Sports 2000???
Old 28 Apr 2004, 09:50 (Ref:954374)   #3
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Nope.

Don't think I mentioned John Brindley though.
Old 28 Apr 2004, 12:32 (Ref:954571)   #4
Dan Rear
Veteran

Dan Rear should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Peter, very interesting, I recall most of the names/cars well. The Leslie S2000 was I think a very rare Crossle, 42S I think. In the FF2000s, I wonder where Richard Trott was, he dominated that category all year, and has recently re-started in Historic FF I see. Pretty quick driver he was, didn't work out for him in F3 though.

In the 'celebs' race I wonder how on earth Mike Smith beat Surtees and Gethin ?
I notice the smallest of your summaries is the Aurora, in theory the highlight of the meet, but by then on its last legs.
Old 28 Apr 2004, 14:03 (Ref:954697)   #5
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Dan,

The Aurora was fun but I think it suffered at this meeting for a number of reasons. Firstly there was an official FOCA test of two one-hour sessions. The current cars outshone the Aurora cars. Secondly whilst Guy Edwards and Jim Crawford were favourites of mine at the time, Emillio and Giacomo weren't. Both excellent drivers and of course Agostini was terrific on two wheels.

Mike Smith was quite handy in his time. The story about him switching tyres on Frank Sytner brings that home. Frank would never let him have decent tyres and so he had them switched at one race. Frank duly ran in behind his team mate.

Interestingly John Morrison posts on this forum so he might oblige with a behind the scenes comment or two.

Another name from the Saloon Cars entry is James Burrows. I know him as Jim Burrows and he races a Mini Cooper S in the CTCRC Post Historic Championship.
Old 28 Apr 2004, 14:23 (Ref:954715)   #6
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
it seems incredible to think of damon Hill as being a celeb in 1980, I must be older than I realized! I understand that the Lloyds and Scottish Historic Campionship (basically the BRDC Historic) used to get starting money .... times have changed!
I sadly never saw Ian Taylor race but I have been told on many occassions he was a great driver
Old 28 Apr 2004, 14:26 (Ref:954719)   #7
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Damon raced under the banner of "The Dog House Owner's Club" and he was well known at Brands Hatch.

The really interesting thing about the Lloyds Scottish Championship was the diverseity of the entries. In that particular race There were ERA's, Talbot Lago's, A Connaught, a Lola Mk2, and more.
Old 28 Apr 2004, 14:49 (Ref:954738)   #8
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
many say that was THE historic championship and that it has been a slippery slope since! Personally I cant comment as it was before my time ubt when I look at the race entries I agree with you it was a great Formula Libre type field
Old 28 Apr 2004, 15:40 (Ref:954784)   #9
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Absolutely. I doubt if it couuld be recreated simply because the performance of the cars has improved so much. The mix of open and closed wheel would be scary these days.
Old 28 Apr 2004, 16:20 (Ref:954808)   #10
Andrew Kitson
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
5 minutes from Snetterton
Andrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Thanks Peter.
Those (and the decade before) really were the days.
Great value for money as a spectator and very few races stopped by 'reds'!
The Lloyds and Scottish was such a great Championship with the single seaters and sportscars mixed.
Personally I reckon it really is a sad state of affairs when the BTCC is supposedly the premier race series in the country now, this was nearly always a support race back then. If the cars were to DTM regs - maybe, but bring back the big single seaters!
Old 29 Apr 2004, 07:21 (Ref:955400)   #11
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Well even then there was a lot of support for the touring cars. Mainly due to the diversity of entries. But the point is well made. Without a big single seater class there is nowhere to go but BTCC. Even the GTs don't stir the blood as they should.

People look at Euroboss but with entries of up to an astounding 7 or 8 that doesn't do anything for me. It leaves us looking at TGP and FORCE.

That then naturally leads to an "Historic" rather than contemporary meeting.