Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Clubmans Rallycross Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Other Motorsports > Rallying & Rallycross

Old 22 Jun 2003, 13:27 (Ref:639135)   #26
fetzo
Rookie

fetzo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
the most beautiful porsche was bernhard carls red 911. 400 hp 2wd. btw. kirchhof is driving in the german championship again with a porsche 911. but its more stock.
Old 14 Apr 2008, 19:08 (Ref:2177450)   #27
rallycross911
Rookie

rallycross911 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Does anyone know anything about the black (was also white earlier)Avon/Duckhams ex Henric Jacobsen 911? It competed in the Internations Cup in 1989 and I think it also has been owned/raced by Arne Jorgensen in Denmark. I bought this car in Januari 2008 and Im looking for any information and pictures!

Rallycross911
Old 14 Apr 2008, 19:44 (Ref:2177486)   #28
rx-guru
Veteran

European Union
Western Lower Rhine area of Germany
rx-guru should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by rallycross911
Does anyone know anything about the black (was also white earlier)Avon/Duckhams ex Henric Jacobsen 911? It competed in the Internations Cup in 1989 and I think it also has been owned/raced by Arne Jorgensen in Denmark. I bought this car in Januari 2008 and Im looking for any information and pictures!

Rallycross911
Check with him: http://tentenths.com/forum/member.php?u=23605
Old 14 Apr 2008, 19:53 (Ref:2177493)   #29
zac510
Veteran

zac510 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What is the history of the blue 911 that ran at the rx meet in the historic class at lydden in 2007?
Old 14 Apr 2008, 21:51 (Ref:2177587)   #30
Barrie
Veteran

England
Colchester Essex
Barrie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by zac510
What is the history of the blue 911 that ran at the rx meet in the historic class at lydden in 2007?
It was the car the took overall victory at the first ever rallycross meeting driven by Vic Elford.

Got a picture of Finn Jesperson here but in the background we got Henrik and his car in shot, just,if you can get hold of the Inter-nations video it does feature on there.

Old 14 Apr 2008, 22:02 (Ref:2177597)   #31
dcdesign
Racer

Belgium
Oostmalle, Antwerp
dcdesign should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Finn Jespersen = Father of Morten Jespersen? (just noticed they also got the same sponsor (Speed Color Design), besides the same family name....
Old 14 Apr 2008, 23:00 (Ref:2177650)   #32
bigted
Veteran

bigted should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
barrie, the car Vic Used is back in its original Red and had alternator issues, so i dont think that was the Porsche at Lydden.

Any more ideas?
Old 14 Apr 2008, 23:27 (Ref:2177656)   #33
Chessmsport
Racer

England
Eastbourne
Chessmsport should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcdesign
Finn Jespersen = Father of Morten Jespersen? (just noticed they also got the same sponsor (Speed Color Design), besides the same family name....
Correct
Old 15 Apr 2008, 15:32 (Ref:2178128)   #34
CS1
Racer

CS1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Where did John Greasleys car end up??
Old 16 Apr 2008, 07:47 (Ref:2178586)   #35
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
The Porsche at Lydden was a Historic rally car - can't remember the drivers name off the top of my head but I can probably dig it out.
Old 16 Apr 2008, 08:09 (Ref:2178602)   #36
rx-guru
Veteran

European Union
AFAIR there was a pic on the original "Quick Vic" Elford RX winning Porsche 911 in either TWs "Rallycross World" or at ERC24, in connection with a show where the first ever Xtrac (ex-Schanche, now owned by Mike Endean) was also presented, prior to the "40 years of RX" event at Lydden. IIRC it was still red and had the original reg no.
Old 16 Apr 2008, 08:41 (Ref:2178628)   #37
KA
Veteran

KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by rx-guru
AFAIR there was a pic on the original "Quick Vic" Elford RX winning Porsche 911 in either TWs "Rallycross World" or at ERC24, in connection with a show where the first ever Xtrac (ex-Schanche, now owned by Mike Endean) was also presented, prior to the "40 years of RX" event at Lydden. IIRC it was still red and had the original reg no.
GVB911D- quite a history, Elford also used it (or at least another car carrying the same reg. no) in the BTCC...

http://www.vicelford.com/gallery/911...20-%202-lg.jpg

http://www.vicelford.com/8large.jpg
Old 16 Apr 2008, 20:22 (Ref:2179254)   #38
Coppertop
Rookie

United Kingdom
Sussex
Coppertop should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
In reference to the Sue Jeffery & Barry Stewart 911, the car was purchased at a very reasonable price minus the twin turbo 600+hp engine and was rebuilt to an exceedingly cheap budget running a standard 3.2litre engine with a 'superchip' producing all of 260hp weighing in at 1230kg!!!!

Turboing wasn't feasible due to engine capacity weight limits at the time which meant the car would have to carry the equivilent of 10 bags of cement amounting to 250kg!

It is hard to compete with cars with exceedingly large budgets & bhp's - as the budget for the Porsche that year was less than some Supercars spent in a meeting! When sharing a garage with another Supercar on a very wet Croft meeting - they were playing with 3 laptops on their car - we were discussing tyre pressures as that was our only means of change!

The car went down to 2wd adding throttle bodies and fast road cams as these were donated to the team - this produced an engine of 300bhp still weighing 1230kg - wow and increase of 40bhp!!!!!!

As for Corsa's and Nova's - with engines costing in excess of £10k producing 280bhp and weighing approx 600kg - puts the Porsche at a disadvantage before the start.

The transmission in it's Supercar format had a standard ration 4 speed 930 gearbox with a standard H pattern, a one way agricultural drive coupling and a Volvo front diff into Saab uprights - but this lead the way for the other 4x4 Porsche that followed as it was the first one! It was competing against full WRC spec 6speed sequential with active diff's.

Surprising enough budget wouldn't allow change, even when it went to 2wd format, which yet again was up against sequential gearboxes and lighter cars - oh and still larger budget that the Porsche team.

Even with all the above problems, in its first year in the Supercars - it came 3rd in the championship and in 2wd had a class win at Lydden.

It is not the best car to Rallycross - anyone who has ever driven one will tell you that - ask Dermot Carnegie! - but it was a talking point and good fun to drive.

It will return at some point when budget and time allow, hopefully a little slimmer (it will be put on a diet along with the driver!) and it will still be as much fun - for a little money!
Old 27 Apr 2008, 11:42 (Ref:2188022)   #39
rallycross911
Rookie

Henrik Jacobsen 911

Thanks for the picture of Henriks black 911. Any more pics of this car out there? Henrik bought this car from Arne Jorgensen who also campained this car, I dont know which colour it had then as I have found no pics yet. When I bought the car it was black as when Henrik owned it, but traces of red, yellow and green has been found and it appears as if the factory colour was light blue. Where can I buy the 1989 Internations Cup video?
Old 27 Apr 2008, 21:25 (Ref:2188614)   #40
Barrie
Veteran

England
Colchester Essex
I ve got some old video footage of the 1987 Inter nations with the Danish team led by Arne Jorgensen in your car, red and white sponsored by slick 50. Theres not a huge amount of footage as hes competing against the Group B cars, but the odd clip here and there, have to PM me your address. Any plans to get the car back on the track, open championship has a good revivals class?
Old 28 Apr 2008, 19:55 (Ref:2189533)   #41
rallycross911
Rookie

911 ex Henrik Jacobsen/Arne Jorgensen

The car will be restored, but I do not know to which spec yet. Any information and pics welcome to: btw@tele2.se
Old 1 May 2008, 21:09 (Ref:2192153)   #42
minieddie88
Rookie

England
Braintree, Essex
minieddie88 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Looking through some pictures tonight came across this one taken @ Pembrey in 2000 (hope is attached!!)
Attached Thumbnails
MVC-055S.JPG  
Old 1 May 2008, 21:36 (Ref:2192164)   #43
Barrie
Veteran

England
Colchester Essex

Anyone no what happened to Michael Bourner, always expected him to return at some point?
Old 1 May 2008, 21:37 (Ref:2192166)   #44
bucko
Racer

United Kingdom
Bucks
bucko should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
nice pic mini !!
Old 2 May 2008, 07:33 (Ref:2192339)   #45
minieddie88
Rookie

England
Braintree, Essex
minieddie88 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thank you Bucko, but Barrie seems to have captured it much better, seems like the bin is more dominant in my picture !!
Old 24 Jul 2008, 14:14 (Ref:2257209)   #46
gbot72
Rookie

United Kingdom
Ashford Kent
gbot72 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Can anyone help with any history of the Porsche in this photo? John Smith used it very briefly in the mid 80's. He bought it from someone in Holland or Belgium which was when this picture was taken.

Any of the previous history before John owned it would be appreciated and if it ever appeared in Rallycross after it was dumped in favour of the Xtrac.
Old 24 Jul 2008, 15:53 (Ref:2257253)   #47
rx-guru
Veteran

European Union
I am 99.9% certain that this is a 911 that was owned by Dutchman Fred Kalkhuis. In my 1983 RX calendar it is on the February page, with the flat nose but without the rear spoiler. The blue and white design is nearly the same as on your pic and the sticker on the front bumper reads 'BIJL radiateuren haarlem'. The main sponsors of Fred were BIJL, Calor Haarlem and Paul Stokman Trucks Haarlem. As there is a windscreen sticker on my pic that reads ALPO Porsche (ALPO = Albers Porsche) I guess it was previously owned by André Albers, the daddy of former Formula One pilot and current DTM returnee Christijan Albers. I know that fat and flamboyant André had two 911s for RX, one was driven in the 1980 Danish ERC round by Albers himself and the other one by Danish racing legend Aage Matthiassen (sponsored by DANTAX by then), as I, myself mediated the deal with the two. AFAIR one of André’s two Porsches was also driven for a while by Dutchman Paul Fauchey, the manager who, many years later, helped Christijan Albers into the Mercedes DTM factory team.

BTW, are you in contact with my ol’ friends John and Jeeta Smith? After living in Folkestone (Kent) they used to live in Kissimmee (Florida), very close to Disney World, when I last heard from them.

PS: I have the feeling that the pic was taken at the Glossocircuit paddock (rather a meadow) at Arendonk in Belgium.

Last edited by rx-guru; 24 Jul 2008 at 16:02.
Old 24 Jul 2008, 19:39 (Ref:2257347)   #48
gbot72
Rookie

United Kingdom
Ashford Kent
gbot72 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thanks rx-guru, I had a feeling you would know.

Lost contact with the Smiths in the late 80's. My Father was a good friend during the 70's and became Johns mechanic in the 80's.

I have many fond memories of weekends at Rallycross meetings but only now really appreciate quite what we were involved in.

I'm just piecing together some of the mysteries surrounding John and his racing exploits, and this Porsche didn't really get much use as the Xtrac appeared on the scene quite soon after. I was just interested in the Porsches history.

I do have some nice pictures and funny stories of those days but not quite sure where to post them, or even sure if anyone is interested!!

P.S The Porsche was collected from Arendonk, all the stickers removed and John raced it at that meeting before bringing it back to England under the cover of Morris Marina registration documentation!!
Old 24 Jul 2008, 21:09 (Ref:2257397)   #49
rx-guru
Veteran

European Union
Just wonder now if Smithy had possibly two Porsche 911s after another. In 1983 Fred Kalkhuis finished 14th overall with a Porsche 911 in the Dutch RX championship while John Smith finished 16th overall with a Porsche 911 in the British RX championship of the same year… And could it be that one Porsche 911 went from John Smith to the late Ron Douglas and then from Ronny to Rob Gibson? Somewhere in the very back of my brain I seem to remember that Rob (or was it Shirley Gibson?) phoned one day to get Ron’s phone number from me to call him about the history of a Porsche, when Ron was living and running a small hotel business for quite some time already at Perranporth in Cornwall (where he died in 1988).

BTW, I am quite certain that Kevin Twomey from Ireland is still in contact with John, Jeeta and "Bean" in Florida.

Last edited by rx-guru; 24 Jul 2008 at 21:13.
Old 24 Jul 2008, 21:48 (Ref:2257422)   #50
Barrie
Veteran

England
Colchester Essex
Welcome gbot72, be great to here some stories from my favourite rallycross era, I was envolved with my uncles rallycross team back then, the paddocks were fool of characters. My favourite John Smith memory was I think the 1986 GP where he outpaced all the Group B cars to set quickest time in the first heats, outstanding performance.