Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Road Car Forums > Road Car Forum

Old 5 Jul 2004, 23:47 (Ref:1027488)   #1
mjolnir
Racer

Australia
Sydney
mjolnir should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
tyre pressure

been looking round the net for reccommended tyre pressure for my renault clio 1.2 (2000) and have come up a few answers - a front/rear ratio of 34/30 psi, an even 30/30, the standard 28/26, and also 1 that recommends as close to the max psi stated on the tyre itself. now i normally travel on motorways at round 120kph so i assume i should be using the "speed" option. is there ne1 that can clarify what my tyre pressures should be?
Old 6 Jul 2004, 01:04 (Ref:1027512)   #2
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
your instruction book should say, so should a label on the drivers door frame?

better to use a higher pressure than a lower one.
Old 6 Jul 2004, 07:06 (Ref:1027660)   #3
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Hadfield, Derbyshire (UK)
Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!
Re: tyre pressure

Quote:
Originally posted by mjolnir
been looking round the net for reccommended tyre pressure for my renault clio 1.2
Forget the net, read the owner's manual! The internet is a triumph of information over knowledge.....

Quote:
and also 1 that recommends as close to the max psi stated on the tyre itself.
That is bad advice. The maximum pressure stated on the tyre is usually well above the pressure needed for any normal application.

Quote:
ne1
??????????????
Old 6 Jul 2004, 07:28 (Ref:1027673)   #4
BlueBlood
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland NZ
BlueBlood should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
ne1 = anyone, say it out loud Dave
Old 6 Jul 2004, 08:21 (Ref:1027736)   #5
DAVID PATERSON
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
DAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
As said above, don't check the internet, check the owner's manual, failing that, ring the dealer, then add 4 psi.
Old 6 Jul 2004, 09:22 (Ref:1027787)   #6
275 GTB-4
Veteran

Australia
South of Sydney NSW, Australie
275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What Dve said !!!

Quote:
Originally posted by DAVID PATERSON
As said above, don't check the internet, check the owner's manual, failing that, ring the dealer, then add 4 psi.
The owners manual USUALLY recommends the pressures that give the best "ride". You want to find the pressure that gives you the best handling and ride for the way you drive. I can bet that if you follow the manufacturers recommendations you will get tyre squeal at some point in the proceedings. So add some pounds and watch your tyre wear especially on the fronts (rotate fronts to rear as required) ENJOY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 6 Jul 2004, 17:03 (Ref:1028255)   #7
HiRich
Racer

HiRich should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I disagree with you there, GTB (to a degree).

A tyre design has an optimum window of use, based on the load it is carrying. The design team will select the preferred tyre, normally from the range of a contracted OEM supplier.
The development team have to define 'manual' pressures, based on a series of subjective and objective tests for handling, ride and wear. The tests will cover a wide range of conditions:
- Vehicle load (laden & unladen)
- Understeer, oversteer and predictibility at different speeds, lift-off/panic braking, etc.
Of course, what parameters are used depends on the vehicle type and likely user - predictable oversteer is fine (necessary) in a Se7en, but verboten on mum's Renault Scenic. Since these tests form part of the car's product liability evidence, obviously they will defer to safety over almost everything else.
Also, of course, how well the tyre performs depends as well on the vehicle dynamics (suspension movement, springs & dampers, body stiffness, weight, CoG & weight distribution.
Then, a different tyre might have a slightly different optimum pressure (though it will be broadly similar). You can see that life's complicated, and there will always be a compromise.

So, it's not just ride, but the manufacturers have tried to cover a much wider scope of use, and perhaps taken a more safety concious option, than you might feel is appropriate.
Unfortunately though, the core information that we might want, that would allow us to tune the pressures to better suit our abilities and usage,isn't pretty much impossible to find (and it could be argued that most of us do not have the equipment or skill to make those choices).
So all you really have is the manual - if you want to play from there, you're on your own.
Old 9 Jul 2004, 20:17 (Ref:1031679)   #8
mjolnir
Racer

Australia
Sydney
ok, this may sound weird, but the car is... 4th hand, so the manual is no-where... and there doesnt seem to be a sticker of ne sort on the doors... ne ideas?
Old 9 Jul 2004, 23:26 (Ref:1031806)   #9
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
if i remember tomorrow i'll see if my user manual has the tyres pressures in it. mine's a 2001 model.
Old 10 Jul 2004, 10:26 (Ref:1032093)   #10
touringcarnut
Veteran

India
Hyderabad, India
touringcarnut should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Its best to just have a bit more than what they recommend, but ensure that the pressures are lower (wjhat is recomended) during the winter months when its a bit sliperly on the roads.

Perhaps the best practice would be to simply try out a different range and see which suits you the best.
Old 13 Jul 2004, 10:28 (Ref:1035133)   #11
mjolnir
Racer

Australia
Sydney
speaking of tyres, need reccomendations for good places to buy... need 2 tyres for the front... i'm assuming they should be the same make? does buying the tyre include having them transferring the rims or r they separately priced?
Old 13 Jul 2004, 12:58 (Ref:1035308)   #12
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Hadfield, Derbyshire (UK)
Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally posted by mjolnir
speaking of tyres, need reccomendations for good places to buy...
I find that I get better prices & service by avoiding the big names; find a small local dealer.

Quote:
need 2 tyres for the front... i'm assuming they should be the same make?
They should be identical, & preferably similar to the existing tyres on the rear.

Quote:
does buying the tyre include having them transferring the rims or r they separately priced?
The price quoted will normally include fitting, new valve, balancing & VAT; check to make sure before accepting a price.
Old 13 Jul 2004, 19:47 (Ref:1035758)   #13
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
found it

on a 1.2 clio, the manual advises that the tyre pressure should be 2 bar both front and rear.
Old 13 Jul 2004, 20:42 (Ref:1035814)   #14
mjolnir
Racer

Australia
Sydney
cheers for the advice!!
Old 14 Jul 2004, 16:29 (Ref:1036525)   #15
Phoenix1
Veteran

Phoenix1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have a 1.2 ltr W reg Clio (so Clio 2 style) and I know what the book says as well but I run mine at 2.1 front and 2.0 rear and it seems to be alot happier and the back end just comes round nicely. I am not so sure with the newer shaped clio (Clio 3) as I was using one while mine was being repaired (passing driver though it should be a compact while it was parked!) and I drove my usual route and the back out went out and slide in a not so nice way and I even checked the tyres when i stopped - all 2.0. Well anyway

I recommend Michelins - I can get you the model number I have on mine if you desire - as I have found them perfect in every weather, even when it snowed over winter I was cruising up hills while other cars where going no where. When you got 4 people in the car and/or extra weight such as holiday luggage put all four up to 2.2.

Last edited by Phoenix1; 14 Jul 2004 at 16:30.
Old 14 Jul 2004, 20:30 (Ref:1036713)   #16
mjolnir
Racer

Australia
Sydney
i have Michelins Radial XSE 165/70 R13 79T-XT1. that wot u have?

Quote:
Originally posted by Phoenix1
as I have found them perfect in every weather, even when it snowed over winter I was cruising up hills while other cars where going no where.
yes, generally Michelins are faster after a nice cool and slow warm-up lap compared to the Bridgestones
Old 14 Jul 2004, 21:33 (Ref:1036777)   #17
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
goodyears - don't touch with a ten foot baregepole. TERRIBLE in the wet...
Old 14 Jul 2004, 22:51 (Ref:1036848)   #18
Mackmot
Veteran

United Kingdom
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Mackmot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Stunners, quality italian tyres, if you pump them up to 60lbs they work great on a disastra
Old 23 Jul 2004, 10:55 (Ref:1044428)   #19
Phoenix1
Veteran

The tyre I use on my Clio (sorry for the delay!) is exactly... MICHELIN TYM165/65R14 79T A N/STK. Not sure about cost as I got them cost price but have a look around and do check with your main dealer as quickfit are not always cheapest.

One other thing if you have a flat tyre then the RAC will repair it (depending on your cover). I'm not saying you should 'make' a flat only last time out I had a flat so popped to work to buy a tyre and called the RAC to put it on as car was sat on drive! Hope that helps.
Old 23 Jul 2004, 20:27 (Ref:1045018)   #20
mjolnir
Racer

Australia
Sydney
received a reply from Event Mobile Tyres (ones that come around to ur home/office)

inclusive of Tyre(s), Valve(s), Computerised Wheel Balancing, Fitting and VAT @ 17.5%:
£49 each for Michelin 165/70t13 fitted

that sound bout right?
Old 23 Jul 2004, 22:01 (Ref:1045108)   #21
Phoenix1
Veteran

Yeah that's good :-) I'd go for that.
Old 24 Jul 2004, 12:37 (Ref:1045674)   #22
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Must be fun to drive with a 70 series profile... I thought they went out with solid tyres?

I can see now why you want to put LOTS of pressure in them, to reduce the instance of sidewall flop....
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 24 Jul 2004, 17:16 (Ref:1045834)   #23
Phoenix1
Veteran

What you got then GTRMagic?