Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Indycar Series

Old 21 Jul 2011, 18:15 (Ref:2929506)   #1
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
$5 Million IndyCar Challenge at Las Vegas

Wasn't sure if there was already a thread on this, but the Indy Star reported this morning that Travis Pastrana and Joey Hand both have submitted applications for consideration to go after the $5 million in the season-ender at Las vegas.

If Kasey Kahne doesn't make the Chase in Sprint Cup, he also is expected to apply.

Thoughts?

One American Open Wheel Series!
Old 21 Jul 2011, 18:20 (Ref:2929509)   #2
Yannick
Veteran

Yannick should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What happened to Scott Speed's bid for the Jackpot? Did it disappear on Pole Day at Indy?
Old 21 Jul 2011, 18:55 (Ref:2929526)   #3
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yannick View Post
What happened to Scott Speed's bid for the Jackpot? Did it disappear on Pole Day at Indy?
Don't know...but the story only confirmed the interest of those three specifically today...

No complete list of who has applied that is public, and I would think IndyCar would wait to see how Kahne fares in the Chase standings before sending out the formal invites.

Personally, anyone who tries a one-off for the $5 million will be a longshot to hit the top 10 with as competitive as the filed has been this year, and Cavin isn't so sure that they may even qualify if the total car count for entries goes beyond the max that the track can handle for racing.

Of these three, I think Hand would have the best chance to have at least some success since he has open wheel experience and is pretty versatile. Kahne and Pastrana could be like a couple of fish out of water in OW

Old 22 Jul 2011, 03:47 (Ref:2929670)   #4
Jonerz
Veteran

United States
Youston
Jonerz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJonerz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Well Kahne was destined for CART until it completely eroded and NASCAR became the place where making a living was easiest. I think he'll fit in fine.

Chris
Old 22 Jul 2011, 07:32 (Ref:2929700)   #5
Mr Pink
Veteran

Sweden
Sweden
Mr Pink should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Pastrana would most probably have a hard time at the same time I think he would draw the most attention to the event out of these three.
Old 22 Jul 2011, 14:25 (Ref:2929805)   #6
PZippy
Rookie

United States
Park Ridge, Illinois
PZippy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I would be very disappointed if there were only 1 or 2 drives for the $5M. It would kind of feel like a bit of bait and switch. I want to see five drivers going for the money!

Love the promotion, but you've got to follow through or you're just going to get a black eye.
Old 22 Jul 2011, 16:23 (Ref:2929835)   #7
Deleted
Veteran

Deleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Personally I don't see what's the point, if you've got five millions to offer why only five cars are allowed to compete for it? And if those drivers end up to be B-class quality a la Scott Speed (that could enter any race they wish) anyway, well well...

Look at V8s at Surfers Paradise. They don't really offer any fancy prizes for guest drivers, but it's attracting some great names in large numbers
Old 23 Jul 2011, 10:15 (Ref:2930053)   #8
nickyf1
Veteran

Scotland
City of Glasgow, Scotland, UK
nickyf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridnickyf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It works really well with the V8's, I look forward to that event every year, and its a great compliment to the awesome Bathurst 1000.

With Indycar.. I'm not so sure they are doing this the right way, I would have an extra off-season event at Indianapolis Raceway Park for guest drivers. I would make use of the current Dallara chassis to keep the cost down and have large prizes for the teams and drivers. Run it in late November/early December so that drivers from all kinds of other series can have a go. They could fill up a field of 20 no bother!
Old 23 Jul 2011, 17:00 (Ref:2930161)   #9
blaffer
Racer

Belgium
Antwerp
blaffer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Which (ex-)F1-drivers are candidate for Las Vegas?
I've heard about Kimi Raikkonen, Scott Speed, Tiago Monteiro, Jacques Villeneuve, Jarno Trulli...
Old 23 Jul 2011, 17:49 (Ref:2930170)   #10
FordCosworthPanoz
Veteran

Bermuda
Flatts Village
FordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by blaffer View Post
Which (ex-)F1-drivers are candidate for Las Vegas?
I've heard about Kimi Raikkonen, Scott Speed, Tiago Monteiro, Jacques Villeneuve, Jarno Trulli...
None of the above... especially Speed, Villeneuve and Truli.

Possible (Have expressed Interest or are rumoured)

Joey Hand, Kyle Busch, Kasey Kahne, Travis Pastrana, Richie Hearn, Airton Dare, Petter Solberg.

Feel free to add to the list.
Old 25 Jul 2011, 09:58 (Ref:2930803)   #11
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
With the Las Vegas street race in 2012, IndyCar will have the product to attract many more drivers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickyf1 View Post
I would have an extra off-season event at Indianapolis Raceway Park for guest drivers. I would make use of the current Dallara chassis to keep the cost down and have large prizes for the teams and drivers. Run it in late November/early December so that drivers from all kinds of other series can have a go. They could fill up a field of 20 no bother!
Yes indeed! But I'd have it in May 2012.
Old 28 Jul 2011, 20:59 (Ref:2932266)   #12
Yannick
Veteran

Yannick should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The big question remains: Which teams are going to run the 5 additional drivers? Panther? D&R? Andretti? Foyt? Who else?

With 3 fulltime Penskes and 4 fulltime Ganassis, the participation of the "red cars" in this scheme is unlikely.
Old 29 Jul 2011, 18:55 (Ref:2932916)   #13
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Two Items:

Tanner Foust is reportedly trying to put together a deal to run at Vegas

Pastrana broke his right foot in an accident and has been withdrawn from any of the NASCAR events he was going to participate in this weekend in Indianapolis.

Will he be healed in time to test before October? No one knows...

Tanner Foust would be an interesting pick, because of the audience he draws for America's version of Top Gear...He also frove the truck that made the IZOD jump at the Indiy 500 this year.

FYI for all of you...

Old 29 Jul 2011, 19:43 (Ref:2932953)   #14
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
duke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridduke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The problem with running that event at IRP is the oval would lead to a demolition derby with inexperienced drivers, it's two thirds of a mile long.
Old 30 Jul 2011, 04:32 (Ref:2933148)   #15
mandretti39
Veteran

Lithuania
Clay, NY USA
mandretti39 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmandretti39 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickyf1 View Post
It works really well with the V8's, I look forward to that event every year, and its a great compliment to the awesome Bathurst 1000.

With Indycar.. I'm not so sure they are doing this the right way, I would have an extra off-season event at Indianapolis Raceway Park for guest drivers. I would make use of the current Dallara chassis to keep the cost down and have large prizes for the teams and drivers. Run it in late November/early December so that drivers from all kinds of other series can have a go. They could fill up a field of 20 no bother!
Is it possible to equip the Dallara's with snow tires? I'm pretty sure that by late November/early December, there's snow on the ground in Indianapolis.
Old 30 Jul 2011, 22:41 (Ref:2933630)   #16
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by duke_toaster View Post
The problem with running that event at IRP is the oval would lead to a demolition derby with inexperienced drivers, it's two thirds of a mile long.
That's the point, innit?
Old 1 Aug 2011, 23:24 (Ref:2934771)   #17
nickyf1
Veteran

Scotland
City of Glasgow, Scotland, UK
nickyf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridnickyf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by mandretti39 View Post
Is it possible to equip the Dallara's with snow tires? I'm pretty sure that by late November/early December, there's snow on the ground in Indianapolis.
That did cross my mind..

Hey, put 'em on snow tires!
Old 28 Aug 2011, 15:34 (Ref:2947248)   #18
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
Now we have a proper shortlist!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Bernard
We've had over two dozen drivers inquire [...] Out of those two dozen, all of them were great drivers. Don't forget, the most important thing we said, it has to move the needle.

Out of those there were three names that came up that we felt we really wanted. Those are Travis Pastrana [...] The second one was Alex Zanardi [...] Then the third one was Kasey Kahne [...] Those three are the only ones we're interested in.

All I can say is I can lead a horse to water, but I can't make him drink. I've done everything I can. I promised the drivers we won't make this a circus.

We have a couple other ideas. We're not giving up. By next week, we will have a press conference and finalize everything because we need 45 days to make sure whatever our plan going forward is, we have a very articulate plan.
The probles is teams. They all want to run with top teams. But Penske and Ganassi are focused on winning each other. I believe that Andretti and Panther should do it.
Old 28 Aug 2011, 23:48 (Ref:2947397)   #19
Jacques Rabbit
Veteran

Slovakia
Jacques Rabbit should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJacques Rabbit should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJacques Rabbit should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I wouldn't regard this as very positive. No one is signed up and Bernard admitted himself he may scrap the entire thing since it's not likely any of the three will actually do it. And there were supposed to be five...and there were supposed to be like 27 or 28 guys who wanted to do it.

So embarrassing for him, I think. As if a gimmick like this wasn't embarrassing enough to begin with.
Old 29 Aug 2011, 00:04 (Ref:2947399)   #20
FordCosworthPanoz
Veteran

Bermuda
Flatts Village
FordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Ideal list at this time

Dr Jack Miller
Fabrizio del Monte
Joel Camathias
Milka Duno
Shigeaki Hattori

I miss these guys (and girls), and since it appears F1, NASCAR, and Sports Car and professional drivers in general aren't that interested, enter this group and the driver that finishes the most laps down wins 5 Million.
Old 29 Aug 2011, 04:29 (Ref:2947437)   #21
PZippy
Rookie

United States
Park Ridge, Illinois
PZippy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I still think we'll see Wheldon running in Vegas with Herta, to take a shot at the $5M.
Old 29 Aug 2011, 05:44 (Ref:2947454)   #22
Carsandmotorracing
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland NZ
Carsandmotorracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There are so many Kiwi drivers that could do this, to bad none of them probably won't
Old 6 Sep 2011, 02:31 (Ref:2951483)   #23
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Looks like the press release pipe dream of a big grand finale in Vegas, ended up in the paper shredder.

http://www.racer.com/report-no-drive...MC-RACER_DAILY

The irl failed to secure the prize money insurance by the deadline, so it isn't happening.
Old 6 Sep 2011, 04:22 (Ref:2951496)   #24
Carsandmotorracing
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland NZ
Carsandmotorracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Gread job Randy, could ya please leave as CEO while your at it?
Old 6 Sep 2011, 10:00 (Ref:2951579)   #25
jondownunder
Veteran

United Kingdom
England
jondownunder should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjondownunder should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Yeah, I'm afraid all my initial enthusiasm for Randy has gone. This idea was always stupid, even if Ganassi or Penske were to run an IndyCar rookie, the chances of them winning were so remote that there was no real excitement in this "challenge".

Plus you don't go around putting people with no open wheel experience straight out on an oval, with presumably minimal testing beforehand. It's plain dangerous and reminiscent of the old IRL. That kind of gimmick should be reserved for safe tin-tops like the Toyota guest race at Long Beach.

Plus Randy's vocal support for Brian Barnhart, and the fact that hideous new car was created under his stewardship. He openly admits he came into this not knowing a thing about the sport, but where he failed was listening to the same old IRL people rather than those who truly understand what made AOWR great in the fading past.

Bernard, Barnhart and Cotman, they should all take a running jump.