Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Overdrive BTCC Diecast Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > General Forums > Armchair Enthusiast

Old 4 Feb 2005, 18:45 (Ref:1217607)   #1
gert
Veteran

Belgium
Antwerp
gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!
Looking for book: 24 heures du Mans, 1923-1992 by Christian Moity

Hi,

I'm looking for the book "24 heures du Mans, 1923-1992", written by Christian Moity, Jean-Marc Teissedre & Alain Bienvenu.

It was heavily recommended to me either by someone here or another Motorsport-related forum.

Unfortunatly the book is out of print.
I've been searching for it for a long time, without succes, and tried again a few days ago...

It is listed at Palmier (here) as "Disponibilité occasionnelle ... nous consulter", which - as far as i know - means that it is occasionally available, and that you can inquire at the "shop"... I did, but without succes, so far...

I also found it at allmotorbooks.com, which seems to be linked with spe barthelemy, the publicer(?) of the book: when you enter "Moity" in the search function here , you'll find it as 7th and 8th (!) result.
There is a link where you can order the book, and I of course did that, and filled in all my details, including my credit card number.
The day after I received a (short) message from spe barthelemy, saying "Le livre en 2 volumes des 24 Heures du Mans est épuisé depuis déjÃ* longtemps, toutefois si nous devions le rééditer ou le compléter nous vous en informerons. Avec nos remerciements.", which means as much as "The book isn't available since a very long time. Thanks."

Of course, they DID NOT remove the link from their website. It's still there...

There's also a 3rd place where I found it, somewhere in Italy (here)
I sent them a mail, and the book is available, but they sell it for 499,00 Euro.

If you compare with the prices of Palmier (250 Ã* 300 Eu) or Allmotorbooks (213,42 €), that's not really cheap

I've even found it at a 4th place, in Switzerland, but I have no idea what "geb" means (someone suggested second-hand, or the way the book is "manufactured" - i have no idea)
Also 395.- is a lot more than the French prices, and doesn't even include shipping (to Belgium)...

Now, finally, my questions:

1. Does someone know the book? What is a reasonable price for it? I would really like to have it, but 500€ for the Italian guy is a whole lotta money... I can't think of many things that are really worth THAT amount of money...

2. Does anybody know a good book shop that maybe still has the book for a reasonable price?
I've tried google, and all bookshops I know, but I can't know them all - of course...

Thanks,
Gert.

BTW: Sorry for the long post and the rant, but right now, I'm so frustrated...
Old 4 Feb 2005, 20:00 (Ref:1217661)   #2
ensign14
Veteran

British Antarctic Territory
Deception Island
ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!
Try abebooks.com to see what they offer, there must be a domestic equivalent.

500 euros does not seem that bad to me, IIRC it was £215 brand new so you are not paying much of a premium for a limited edition book.

It is well worth getting - pictures of almost every car ever to take part at Le Mans over that period. Very few missing.
Old 4 Feb 2005, 20:57 (Ref:1217733)   #3
Andrew Gunnell
Racer

United Kingdom
stratford-upon-avon
Andrew Gunnell should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Silly question, but have you looked on the ebay or amazon web site?
Old 4 Feb 2005, 22:44 (Ref:1217820)   #4
gert
Veteran

Belgium
Antwerp
gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ensign14
Try abebooks.com to see what they offer, there must be a domestic equivalent.
Thanks for the link to abebooks. I hadn't heard of that before today. The book I'm after is not available, but I've seen a lot of other interesting items

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Gunnell
Silly question, but have you looked on the ebay or amazon web site?
Not a silly question at all...
I'm looking for shops, online auctions etc.

But I had already tried Amazon and ebay.

--

I've checked the link to the Swiss shop again. I think the price is not in Euro but Swiss Franks, which makes it a lot cheaper.

Now if only he has a copy and is willing to send it to Belgium!

Last edited by gert; 4 Feb 2005 at 22:44.
Old 4 Feb 2005, 23:19 (Ref:1217833)   #5
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Good luck, gert.

(When you've read them you can pass them on to me......... )
Old 5 Feb 2005, 12:59 (Ref:1218120)   #6
jna
Racer

jna should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This dealer in the USA (T E Warth) does not have one in stock, but as you will see if you visit the site you can ask them to put your name on the list. They would want US$350

http://www.tewarthautobooks.biz

John
Old 5 Feb 2005, 13:39 (Ref:1218143)   #7
gert
Veteran

Belgium
Antwerp
Thanks for the link, John!
If I haven't got a reply from the Swiss dealer on Monday I'll put my name on the list.

There's no obligation to buy the book even if they find one, so I don't think I have anything to lose...
Old 8 Feb 2005, 07:31 (Ref:1220071)   #8
enduro81
Rookie

enduro81 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
LM Book

Hi, according to their webside Grand Prix Models still have a copy of the book, along with some others in the series which they acquired from a collection a few weeks ago. The price is 115 uk pounds plus post. I can recommend them fully as I got the '91 annual from the collection.
Hope this helps

Geoff
Old 8 Feb 2005, 09:18 (Ref:1220149)   #9
iucrmh
Racer

iucrmh should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by enduro81
Hi, according to their webside Grand Prix Models still have a copy of the book, along with some others in the series which they acquired from a collection a few weeks ago. The price is 115 uk pounds plus post. I can recommend them fully as I got the '91 annual from the collection.
Hope this helps

Geoff
Geoff, that is a different book. Slightly confusingly, there is a book called "Le Mans 1923-1982" which is also worth buying by the way, which is a history of Le Mans produced by the ACO, with all the results and lots of pictures, etc. The two volume "Le Mans 24 hours 1923-1992" is a book that contains pictures of all but a few cars that have competed at Le Mans up to 1992.

Originally this two volume set was £190 in the UK and was available until fairly recently (i.e. I've seen it in the last couple of years). The 1923-1982 history book was still being sold new by the ACO at Le Mans last year, for about £30 or so. There is a great listing of Le Mans books, etc at,

http://perso.wanadoo.fr/clopernico/
Old 26 Feb 2005, 21:33 (Ref:1236842)   #10
d-b
Racer

United Kingdom
at home
d-b should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
hi there

i have the book but i'm afraid i won't sell it

it cost me £190 to buy new and is in two parts with an english translation (book is in French)

its generally a book of photographs of every car that raced at LeMans 1923-1992 & what happened to them

i think it was a limited edition which would be why you can't find one (but there's got to be another one somewhere)

d-b
Old 26 Feb 2005, 21:57 (Ref:1236855)   #11
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!
There is a set available here - is that you who is the highest bidder, Gert? Good luck if it is!
Old 26 Feb 2005, 22:02 (Ref:1236860)   #12
d-b
Racer

United Kingdom
at home
hi there

that is the right one
hope you get it as it's very good

d-b
Old 8 Mar 2005, 20:04 (Ref:1247063)   #13
bernard b
Veteran

European Union
France
bernard b has a real shot at the championship!bernard b has a real shot at the championship!bernard b has a real shot at the championship!bernard b has a real shot at the championship!bernard b has a real shot at the championship!bernard b has a real shot at the championship!
I bought it when it was published and, IIRC, it was something like 400 euros for new ...
the Italian guy is not that far, if it's new ...

there were 2 editions of these books : in the second one, they changed few pictures
I have the 1st edition, and before you ask, I don't want to sell it

of course it's a lot of money, but it's really worth it
Old 12 Mar 2005, 15:18 (Ref:1250311)   #14
d-b
Racer

United Kingdom
at home
agreed

d-b
Old 16 Mar 2005, 19:30 (Ref:1253660)   #15
gert
Veteran

Belgium
Antwerp
It took a while, but I finally have the book
Got the one mentioned above from ebay, although it had to be relisted before I could finally claim it

Thanks all for your help!

Last edited by gert; 16 Mar 2005 at 19:30.
Old 16 Mar 2005, 20:59 (Ref:1253732)   #16
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Well done that man!
Old 17 Mar 2005, 00:19 (Ref:1253870)   #17
d-b
Racer

United Kingdom
at home

enjoy
Old 15 Aug 2006, 12:38 (Ref:1683172)   #18
SnifferUK
Rookie

SnifferUK should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thought I'd resurrect this thread as I'm also looking for '24 Heures du Mans 1923-1992''

I've looked in the usual places but so far to no avail.....

I've put my name down on the TE Warth search thing but I'm not holding out much hope....

Anyone got any suggestions or better still a copy for sale ?
Old 23 Aug 2006, 08:07 (Ref:1689356)   #19
Tomcatt
Rookie

Tomcatt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hello !

Yes i have a copy for sale.
I bought it 1993 and its one time read since that.Then it is in the cabinet.
It is definatley like new. If you are interrested send me a mail.
Old 24 Aug 2006, 18:38 (Ref:1690917)   #20
carrera
Veteran

England
Gatwick
carrera should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I believe Chaters in London have a copy.
Old 18 Oct 2006, 16:30 (Ref:1741363)   #21
SnifferUK
Rookie

SnifferUK should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I've tried them (a little belatedly) but it's out of stock....

Tomcatt, I've PM'd you if you still have it for sale ?
Sorry about the lack of response....

CCB had it on their website today but it was a mistake as they'd got it in for someone else
Old 24 May 2008, 17:01 (Ref:2210617)   #22
hadlou
Rookie

France
Paris
hadlou should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I've seen this book in a library, I can borrow it and scan somes pages...