Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 15 Dec 2009, 00:53 (Ref:2599822)   #1
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
2010 TOURING CAR MASTERS

Article Here

2010 TOURING CAR MASTERS CALENDAR

11-14 March Clipsal 500, SA
14-16 May Winton, VIC
18-20 June Darwin, NT
7-10 October Bathurst, NSW
5-7 November Symmons Plains, TAS
19-21 November Sandown, VIC
3-5 December Homebush, NSW
*Note: date and venue of remaining round TBA

There seems no mention of the title sponsor...
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 15 Dec 2009, 01:06 (Ref:2599829)   #2
Alan52
Veteran

Australia
Glenmore Park
Alan52 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAlan52 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Two interesting points1 Homebush round replaces GT Championship on that program. 2No round listed for Muscle Car Masters.Although there is a TBA event could it be that series administrators are after "financial consideration" from the ARDC.In my opinion the Muscle Car Masters would be a much poorer event without the Touring Car Masters class.Also mentioned in the press release was there will be 6 half hour TV shows from 6 of the V8 rounds in line with the sort of coverage the Mini Challenge has had this year.Biante announced a few weeks ago they weren't continuing naming rights sponsorship in 2010.

Last edited by Alan52; 15 Dec 2009 at 01:17.
Old 15 Dec 2009, 01:21 (Ref:2599840)   #3
johnh875
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
johnh875 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Regarding car/driver movements, John Bowe has bought Drew Marget's Mustang, as Marget is retiring. The Camaro Bowe raced has been sold, not sure who to though.

Anybody know the current status of Jim Richards' AMC Javelin? I heard something that indicated it was intended to use a Dodge V8 (Nascar based) - why would this be accepted? After all, Chrysler didn't take over AMC until 1987. Why wouldn't they be running an AMC V8, whether 304ci or 340/390/401.
Old 15 Dec 2009, 01:46 (Ref:2599848)   #4
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnh875 View Post
Anybody know the current status of Jim Richards' AMC Javelin? I heard something that indicated it was intended to use a Dodge V8 (Nascar based) - why would this be accepted? After all, Chrysler didn't take over AMC until 1987. Why wouldn't they be running an AMC V8, whether 304ci or 340/390/401.
Mr Skaife has to drive something doesnt he?
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 15 Dec 2009, 01:51 (Ref:2599850)   #5
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Crash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCrash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
From what I can gather, the largely QLD based Trans Am Championship will be racing at the Muscle Car Masters next year. A worthy replacement if the TCMs don't front
Old 15 Dec 2009, 02:11 (Ref:2599854)   #6
Alan52
Veteran

Australia
Glenmore Park
Alan52 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAlan52 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crash Test View Post
From what I can gather, the largely QLD based Trans Am Championship will be racing at the Muscle Car Masters next year. A worthy replacement if the TCMs don't front
I thought the Trans Am cars were the 2010 replacement for the New Zealand Central Muscle Cars.I really think that the Masters meeting needs the "star quality" that only the Touring Car Masters series can provide.I hope the ARDC is not going to go down the path of diminishing what has been a great event.
Old 15 Dec 2009, 03:40 (Ref:2599891)   #7
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Its not solely an ARDC event, Chevron Publishing Group & the ARDC have an equal stake in the event.
Old 15 Dec 2009, 03:44 (Ref:2599893)   #8
mildura1963
Racer

Australia
Ex Mildura now in Hamilton NZ
mildura1963 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Is there much difference between the Trans-Am cars & the TCM cars other than the age of the cars?
Old 15 Dec 2009, 03:59 (Ref:2599904)   #9
Prancing Wombat
Rookie

Prancing Wombat should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Regarding car/driver movements, John Bowe has bought Drew Marget's Mustang, as Marget is retiring. The Camaro Bowe raced has been sold, not sure who to though.
Bowe Camaro is now owned by Bill Pye, Porsche racer.
Old 15 Dec 2009, 04:18 (Ref:2599910)   #10
Green Hornet
Racer

Green Hornet should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There will be a mega amount of Group N cars at the Muscle Car Masters and at least they are not like hot rods in TCM.
Old 15 Dec 2009, 05:17 (Ref:2599922)   #11
Rob Bailey
Veteran

Rob Bailey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRob Bailey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prancing Wombat View Post
Bowe Camaro is now owned by Bill Pye, Porsche racer.
Great news,with Bill driving it will remain a front running car.
Old 15 Dec 2009, 07:21 (Ref:2599952)   #12
nafe!
Racer

nafe! should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Hornet View Post
There will be a mega amount of Group N cars at the Muscle Car Masters and at least they are not like hot rods in TCM.

Bob Janes Camaro and the like could be called hot rods by normal historic standards. Yes they have a few freedoms which they didnt in the past but its very similar to the Australian touring car championship (not production car championship) of old.

The fans love them, they attract pro drivers and make for stunning racing.

As much as i enjoy historics, most of the drivers are amatuers or just to afraid to damage their machines.

TCM is the best of both worlds, old cars with pro drivers.
Old 15 Dec 2009, 10:37 (Ref:2600049)   #13
TOOTHFAIRY
Rookie

TOOTHFAIRY should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
2010 TOURING CAR MASTERS

What a great year 2010 will be for the TCM Boys, good coverage on TV, some new cars being built, some new and old faces, coming on board, the managment team more committed than ever, all makes for very entertaining racing, and a higher profile for this style of racing. Remember this catagory is 2nd most popular with the V8SC spectators, so bring on the racing guys.
Old 16 Dec 2009, 06:49 (Ref:2600557)   #14
xrystl
Racer

Pitcairn Islands
gold coast
xrystl should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

May find that the old AMC engines no longer exist as it's just too long ago since they were made and they were far and few between even in the States , had a mate who restored a Rambler Classic back in the eighties and he couldn't get engine bits for it from anywhere (no internet in those days) so ended up replacing the engine with a Falcon six .
Old 16 Dec 2009, 19:59 (Ref:2600939)   #15
TOOTHFAIRY
Rookie

TOOTHFAIRY should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
JIMS AMC

It is allowed to use a 360 V8, with alloy heads, of which a submission re the heads is being considered by the board as we speak, these heads will also be allowed on the V8 Chargers., although they have to run a 340 V8,in the Charger. The Javelin is completed, body wise and is in the paint shop, being finished off. So its well down the track.
Old 16 Dec 2009, 20:55 (Ref:2600967)   #16
mildura1963
Racer

Australia
Ex Mildura now in Hamilton NZ
mildura1963 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Nice to see the amount of variety in the TCM.
Old 16 Dec 2009, 21:35 (Ref:2600979)   #17
Juarez Jed
Veteran

Juarez Jed should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJuarez Jed should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by xrystl View Post
May find that the old AMC engines no longer exist as it's just too long ago since they were made and they were far and few between even in the States , had a mate who restored a Rambler Classic back in the eighties and he couldn't get engine bits for it from anywhere (no internet in those days) so ended up replacing the engine with a Falcon six .

There was a place in Mascot in Sydney (Mascot Motors) that sold new Matadors and even the big NASCAR style Matador X right up until the late seventies. He then sold used Ramblers and Jeeps from the same location well into the eighties.
In the nineties he moved down to Taren Point. I think he's gone from there now, but he's still on the net. He had a lot of old AMC stock though.
The Matador X was a car and a half, it made the Javelin look like a shopping cart !
Old 16 Dec 2009, 21:45 (Ref:2600985)   #18
Juarez Jed
Veteran

Juarez Jed should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJuarez Jed should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
mascot motors

Just looked him up........he's in Nowra now (NSW South Coast). He mainly dismantles Jeeps but has tons of Rambler parts.
Old 17 Dec 2009, 03:17 (Ref:2601112)   #19
Rob Bailey
Veteran

Rob Bailey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRob Bailey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by TOOTHFAIRY View Post
It is allowed to use a 360 V8, with alloy heads, of which a submission re the heads is being considered by the board as we speak, these heads will also be allowed on the V8 Chargers., although they have to run a 340 V8,in the Charger. The Javelin is completed, body wise and is in the paint shop, being finished off. So its well down the track.
whats happening with the future of the Falcon Sprint?
Old 17 Dec 2009, 06:56 (Ref:2601162)   #20
johnh875
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
Quote:
Originally Posted by xrystl View Post
The AMC 360 V8 was used right up to the end of production of the Jeep Wagoneer/Cherokee, in 1991. Yes harder & more costly to find good bits and expertise for, but that is what happens when you own an unusual model. I bet the Javelins running in the historic TransAm series still run AMC motors, and locally Ray Sprague has his AMX running in hillclimbs with what seems to be a lot of grunt. I find the approach disappointing, but that is just my opinion of course. If wanting to run a Dodge engine, why not run a Dodge body as well? A Challenger would add just as much to the series.

Last edited by johnh875; 17 Dec 2009 at 07:02.
Old 18 Dec 2009, 07:58 (Ref:2601760)   #21
Camaroz
Veteran

Camaroz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
The AMC 360 V8 was used right up to the end of production of the Jeep Wagoneer/Cherokee, in 1991. Yes harder & more costly to find good bits and expertise for, but that is what happens when you own an unusual model. I bet the Javelins running in the historic TransAm series still run AMC motors, and locally Ray Sprague has his AMX running in hillclimbs with what seems to be a lot of grunt. I find the approach disappointing, but that is just my opinion of course. If wanting to run a Dodge engine, why not run a Dodge body as well? A Challenger would add just as much to the series.

The TCM is about making the cars both affordable and reliable.

For the die-hards, Historics are the go.

For everything else, TCM.
Old 18 Dec 2009, 12:32 (Ref:2601861)   #22
Scott75
Veteran

Scott75 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just so you know guys, JB's Mustang will will have the new livery completed in early to mid January... I will upload my official illustration and pics of the real car once its completed...

Stay tuned...
Old 21 Dec 2009, 06:24 (Ref:2603065)   #23
johnh875
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
Camaroz, I know where you are coming from & just putting in my 2c on a discussion forum. Even though I disagree with that aspect, I welcome the variety for the series.

Of course the Javelin would not be eligible for Grp N historics because they weren't raced here (that I am aware of), nor were Challengers for that matter. I wonder if there were any eligible cars that we don't see in the Nc category - mind you that is another topic.
Old 21 Dec 2009, 06:46 (Ref:2603068)   #24
Rob Bailey
Veteran

Quote:
Camaroz, I know where you are coming from & just putting in my 2c on a discussion forum. Even though I disagree with that aspect, I welcome the variety for the series.

Of course the Javelin would not be eligible for Grp N historics because they weren't raced here (that I am aware of), nor were Challengers for that matter. I wonder if there were any eligible cars that we don't see in the Nc category - mind you that is another topic.
GTA Alfa's and 67/8 390 ci Mustang I think BJ's pre Trans/Am ran one once or twice.
Old 21 Dec 2009, 07:24 (Ref:2603072)   #25
Juarez Jed
Veteran

[QUOTE=johnh875;2603065]Camaroz, I know where you are coming from & just putting in my 2c on a discussion forum. Even though I disagree with that aspect, I welcome the variety for the series.

I'm with you john875.
If you can't source an AMC engine that is affordable and reliable then maybe you shouldn't run a Javelin ? I know the Masters are more flexible than Nc but I didn't realise it was like sports sedans and you can run other manufacturers motors. I agree with you that if you want to run a Mopar then you should run a Dodge, Chrysler or Plymouth.