Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Other Motorsports > Bike Racing

Old 5 Aug 2018, 23:53 (Ref:3841749)   #126
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GORDON STREETER View Post
Good to see Dovi have the win in front of Lorenzo, a good race with a fair bit of chopping and changing right to the end. Marquez kept his cool and rode fair.
It's going to be "interesting" to see who will be "top dog" at Honda next season and who will fill Vali's boots ?
Danni's boots?

Great race, enjoyed it thoroughly!
Old 6 Aug 2018, 06:56 (Ref:3841770)   #127
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnut View Post
Danni's boots?

Great race, enjoyed it thoroughly!
I just have a feeling that Rossi might well call it a day at the end of this season !
The Honda camp is going to be "interesting" to watch next year as they are both wanting to be "top dog"
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 7 Aug 2018, 11:02 (Ref:3842048)   #128
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
I just have a feeling that Rossi might well call it a day at the end of this season !
The Honda camp is going to be "interesting" to watch next year as they are both wanting to be "top dog"
You think so Gordon, after he signed a two year extension in March?
https://www.motorsport.com/au/motogp...14776/1396335/

He's had enough?

Marquez is never going to lie down easily, Honda is going to be a rough place next year.
Old 7 Aug 2018, 13:56 (Ref:3842098)   #129
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Quote:
You think so Gordon, after he signed a two year extension in March?

Hadn't seen that, too much Spanish sun and beach bars I hope to see Lorenzo testing at my local track in Spain in the winter,
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 9 Aug 2018, 12:30 (Ref:3842494)   #130
wnut
Veteran

Quote:
Hadn't seen that, too much Spanish sun and beach bars I hope to see Lorenzo testing at my local track in Spain in the winter,
Hell of a life, but somebody has to do it!

You lucky lucky ...

Honda couldn't have got more contrasting styles between their two riders, its going to get interesting.
Old 9 Aug 2018, 12:40 (Ref:3842501)   #131
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Great win by Dovi, holding off multiple world champions in Lorenzo, Rossi and Marquez. May be a bit too late for the title, but shows why he is a top class rider. Also good to see Cal up there fighting too
Old 9 Aug 2018, 19:43 (Ref:3842615)   #132
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Quote:
Hell of a life, but somebody has to do it!

You lucky lucky ...
A lot of people could easily live like it if they really wanted to, we live frugally and never had any offspring to siphon off our hard earnt cash
Old 10 Aug 2018, 11:58 (Ref:3842762)   #133
wnut
Veteran

Quote:
A lot of people could easily live like it if they really wanted to, we live frugally and never had any offspring to siphon off our hard earnt cash
Ah, I see the mistake now!
Seriously though, it sounds like a good life, great part of Spain, and then to have MotoGP testing close by is just the icing on the cake.

Well done on organizing a good life, no judgement from me at all.
Old 10 Aug 2018, 15:55 (Ref:3842812)   #134
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Quote:
Ah, I see the mistake now!
Seriously though, it sounds like a good life, great part of Spain, and then to have MotoGP testing close by is just the icing on the cake.
Mostly I know when the WSB and BSB are testing at my nearest track (Almeria) and it's only about a 40 min drive from our place, however the MotoGP boys normally test at Valencia that takes up to 4 hrs depending on the traffic.
What does happen is that sometimes a MotoGP team will hire Almeria for a couple of days and it's not announced, but as it's close to me I drive up and take a look anyway and take pot luck.
I have seen several top riders there over the years and I even "happened" on BMW testing a MotoGP bike that never came to fruition
Old 12 Aug 2018, 09:16 (Ref:3843124)   #135
wnut
Veteran

So there was truth in the rumour that BMW were thinking of going to MotoGP when they dropped out of WSBK in 2013!
I didn't realize they had actually gone testing.
BMW always strenuously denied they were even thinking about MotoGP, got lucky that day. Did they let you get close or were they in full security mode?
Old 12 Aug 2018, 09:23 (Ref:3843126)   #136
wnut
Veteran

Tonight we have Marquez followed by Dovi, Lorenzo, and Petrucci.
Rossi only 14th behind Vinales in 11th, Zarco 7th, not too good for factory Yamaha.

Good effort from Crutchlow to bag 5th.

Should be good.
Old 12 Aug 2018, 12:12 (Ref:3843154)   #137
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Race looks utterly boring at the mo, shame as 2 and 3 were superb. Sadly GP is often the weakest link in the racing
Old 12 Aug 2018, 12:59 (Ref:3843157)   #138
EffectiveSprinkles
Veteran

EffectiveSprinkles User had had their licence endorsedEffectiveSprinkles User had had their licence endorsed
Say what now?
Old 12 Aug 2018, 16:58 (Ref:3843192)   #139
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I went away and came back with 5 laps left, pleasntly surprised. But compared to the other two races. Meh.
Fair play Jorge, out knobbed Marquez who usually does that sort of thing
Old 12 Aug 2018, 22:03 (Ref:3843257)   #140
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Quote:
So there was truth in the rumour that BMW were thinking of going to MotoGP when they dropped out of WSBK in 2013!
I didn't realize they had actually gone testing.
BMW always strenuously denied they were even thinking about MotoGP, got lucky that day. Did they let you get close or were they in full security mode?
This was a fair few years back and there was a BMW truck in the paddock along with BMW personnel/mechanics and also a couple of Ilmor mechanics.
I recognised the rider (Jeremy McWilliams) and had a brief chat but he wouldn't comment on the bike.
It certainly wasn't one of the actual old Ilmor X3 bikes that he rode a few times in Moto GP and I would think that BMW was getting some input from Ilmor at the time or testing a prototype engine that they or Ilmor had built ?
As it happened they were setting the bike up to get some decent times and McWilliams came off and injured himself in the afternoon so it was abandoned.
The strange thing was that the track wasn't locked and there were other bikes testing on the day but not at the same time. Click image for larger version

Name:	IlmorX3-001.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	486.8 KB
ID:	51729 The Ilmor X3

Last edited by GORDON STREETER; 12 Aug 2018 at 22:20.
Old 13 Aug 2018, 06:18 (Ref:3843278)   #141
wnut
Veteran

This one Gordon?

https://www.crash.net/motogp/news/78...jured-at-jerez
Old 13 Aug 2018, 06:21 (Ref:3843279)   #142
wnut
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by chunder View Post
I went away and came back with 5 laps left, pleasntly surprised. But compared to the other two races. Meh.
Fair play Jorge, out knobbed Marquez who usually does that sort of thing
Seriously?

That was a really good race!

If it happened in F1 it would be an all time classic
Old 13 Aug 2018, 07:26 (Ref:3843284)   #143
rich07
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!
Can’t believe Lorenzo made those soft tires last like that. Magic! Great to see him hold off Marquez. Got pretty hairy between those two more then once in the dying stages of the race.

I love MotoGP
Old 13 Aug 2018, 13:40 (Ref:3843379)   #144
EffectiveSprinkles
Veteran

EffectiveSprinkles User had had their licence endorsedEffectiveSprinkles User had had their licence endorsed
I especially liked Lorenzo's defense at turn 2. He knew Marquez would lunge so he gave him the inside, but then just drove much harder off the corner giving Marquez no chance. Excellent racing by both. In F1 you can't make that move because the car on the inside is just allowed to push you off the track at corner exit.
Old 13 Aug 2018, 14:20 (Ref:3843388)   #145
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Quote:
No wrong track and different time, I'm talking about my local track at Almeria
Old 13 Aug 2018, 19:23 (Ref:3843450)   #146
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
As I recall some company called Ural or something were being used by BMW to do some work. The Ilmor thing cam after this in 06.

Ilmor was separate, but perhaps initially was a way into GP by BMW, until they rightly realised that would not sell them bikes, they built a brilliant sports bike that has swept all before it for years and continues to on track and roads.

Not sure if llmor bought the project from BMW or not. But his engine was raced in 800 guise and wasn't that bad, but massively underfunded and not great riders in an elderly McWill and Pitt a unproved really GP rider with experience of the first Kawasaki turd.
Old 13 Aug 2018, 22:24 (Ref:3843489)   #147
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunder View Post
Not sure if llmor bought the project from BMW or not. But his engine was raced in 800 guise and wasn't that bad, but massively underfunded and not great riders in an elderly McWill and Pitt a unproved really GP rider with experience of the first Kawasaki turd.
Yes they were underfunded but McWilliams although 42 at the time was a quick rider, I have seen him at Almeria loads of times testing several makes of bikes over the years and he is still a very quick rider as he knows the circuit well.
Old 14 Aug 2018, 06:23 (Ref:3843521)   #148
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Talking about testing, I wonder why KTM has rent de Puniet for the rest of the season. Are they preparing any secret safety device?
Old 14 Aug 2018, 14:36 (Ref:3843571)   #149
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
Apparently the team McWill was riding for was an engineering firm called Oral (odd name). He was basically testing the BMW built rather than Marelli, Motec electronics package for the road bikes and SBK machine.
Old 15 Aug 2018, 08:19 (Ref:3843730)   #150
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Great battle between Marquez and Lorenzo, just wait till they are on the same bike next season, it's going to be close!