Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Motorsport History

Old 28 Nov 2003, 15:05 (Ref:797176)   #1
Dan Rear
Veteran

Dan Rear should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Maurers in ZA

Re the above, and specifically for Ian, what was the reason for Maurers going to ZA. Was there a local connexion, perhaps Tony Martin and Paul Owens? How many went there, and were they all ex-F2 cars, or any brand new ones.

From memory they were lovely cars, and I believe very well built. Should have achieved more in F2 in Europe I thought, perhaps Willi M's team wasn't as well organised as it could have been...
Old 28 Nov 2003, 15:38 (Ref:797198)   #2
IANHEB
Racer

IANHEB should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Dan,
Yes,the link was Tony and Paul from the numerous Chevron's that Tony had.They certainly are tasty cars.The exact number that came here is a bit tricky to tie down due to incorrect programme entries and fading memories,but either 5 or 6.
The first two to arrive were for the '81 season,one for Tony Martin and one for Vern Bricknell,with Mazda rotary engines fitted locally.They both appear to have been MM80 's,so possibly used in Europe the year before with BMW power.The Bricknell car is recorded as MM80-002,but have not seen the plate yet.
Will try and find out more about the others,but i think only the MM83 for DAW Racing(in 1983) was a new car.
Ian
Old 1 Dec 2003, 15:31 (Ref:800418)   #3
IANHEB
Racer

Dan,
Tony Martin's MM80 for the 1981 SA Championship is recorded as ex Beppe Gabianni,which does not mean much to me i am afraid to say!.
Ian
Old 2 Dec 2003, 13:45 (Ref:801488)   #4
Dan Rear
Veteran

Dan Rear should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ian

Beppe had a MM80 in Euro F2 in 1980, went pretty well as I recall. In fact that year generally the Maurers were fairly good, I think Gaillard also went well in one, Elgh aswell on occasion, not sure on that with hindsight. Anyway after their laughable efforts in 1979, with wierd device, they came on much stronger in 80, as I guess Owens got to grips with the cars/team. It was still a big shock to me though when Elgh and Guerrero won easily at Thruxton in early 81.
Old 3 Dec 2003, 14:54 (Ref:802680)   #5
Jeremy Jackson
Veteran

Jeremy Jackson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Advert in this month's Motor Sport for MM80-004, by Brian Tyler in SA, who also has the 2 B29s mentioned elsewhere. Says "Originally built for South African championships driven by Tony Martin & vernon Bricknell"

I thought 004 was raced by the works in 1980, but...
Old 4 Dec 2003, 11:05 (Ref:803573)   #6
Bryan Miller
Veteran

Bryan Miller should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ian.
Are many of the Maurer's still around.??
About 7/8 years ago ex Rhodesian Ivan Glasby , who has lived over here for a long while was trying to interest me in buying one that he had his hands on , or could get his hands on.
Ivan still seems to have a lot of contacts over there.

Bryan.
Old 5 Dec 2003, 12:41 (Ref:804680)   #7
IANHEB
Racer

Dan/Jeremy/Brian,
The dealer selling these cars sometimes gets a bit confused.The car for sale is the ex Bricknell MM80,i will try and verify the chassis number over the weekend.It is entered in programmes as 002,but a previous owner,who apparantly has the plate, says 004.
Tony Martin had a different MM80,but both cars only arrived here minus engines in early 1981.
The only other Maurer still here,as of current research,is an MM82.This was Tony Martins car for the 1983 season.
I think the car Ivan bought/sold on was the ex D.A.W.(Tilanus) MM81 which arrived here June 1982.The last SA owner of this car sold two March tubs to Ivan,so the MM81 could well have gone that way as well.
Cheers for now
Ian (back in Sheffield over Xmas)
Old 5 Dec 2003, 13:00 (Ref:804706)   #8
Jeremy Jackson
Veteran

Jeremy Jackson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ian,

Tyanks for clearing that up. Don't suppose the confusion surprises me.

Small world (I should be back home in Doncaster for a bit over Christmas!)