Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > National & Club Racing

Old 27 Dec 2012, 20:44 (Ref:3182293)   #1151
R59
Veteran

Heard and McDonald Islands
Bedfordshire
R59 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR59 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSpiderMan View Post
Think I need to leard to drive it on a few test days, then not really sure what I'm doing next season. I still have my little Fiesta XR2 that I raced in the CNC heads series, then I have my 570bhp Sierra Thundersaloon, and also the Calibra. So many choices!!
I guess both the Sierra and the Calibra can do something with CSCC
Learning to drive something like that will be a big wake up call!! If you can wind the boost right down in the Sierra, that would be the car to use to learn. Learn how the car handles - brakes, turns in, exits, etc... and for you to get used to it. Test until it's like knitting one handed, then turn up the boost a bit at a time, get used to it. Then it'll "come naturally".

The Calibra will wake you up!! The torque will be phenomenal compared to the Sierra - you'll have to learn to squeeze the throttle to avoid it breaking traction, handling wise, it should be superior to the Sierra as it's got a much more refined chassis under it. IIRC it runs a locked spool in the back end, so will be understeery unless "driven". And that requires commitment and faith!!

You have some good choices for where to race either car - Classic Thunder, Eurosaloons, NW Sports & Saloons, CSCC Special Saloons/Modsports/Thundersaloons, and maybe a few others.

Fingers crossed, I WILL be out with the Belmont in the CSCC series, and maybe CT if time permits.
Old 30 Dec 2012, 20:00 (Ref:3183052)   #1152
TheSpiderMan
Rookie

England
Stockport
TheSpiderMan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Classic Thunder

Fortunately the Sierra has adjustable boost and can be turned down to 330bhp. I have had it out on a track day at Oulton Park and it is immense, thought the lag is a little un nerving. The car is currently stripped and having a better cage fitted. Once this is done it is having a total rebuild and re preperation to our team standards.

The Calibra will be doing a few test days, and I'm looking forward to a car that needs delicate throttle use. The previous owner is helping me out with the car and some driving tuition...thank goodness! and if it's wet maybe I'll just use the Fiesta!

I'll certainly be out in CNC Heads NW Sports & Saloons next season
Life should not be a journey into the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, oh no.. but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, beer in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming ‘WOO HOO what a ride'
Old 10 Jan 2013, 21:09 (Ref:3187422)   #1153
nsscc35
Rookie

nsscc35 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
ahahah

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy robinson View Post
sounds good to me, the more old school V8's to hold back the jap turbo wizz rice buckets the better
Andy never heard them been called that before..excellent...i might have to race with a different championship next year and was going to ask which you would recomend?

I have a whizz rice bucket...

Cheers Pete
Old 11 Jan 2013, 14:02 (Ref:3187742)   #1154
andy robinson
Racer

United Kingdom
cramlington, northumberland
andy robinson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
for big powerfull stuff, either the classic thunder or the eurosaloons, for the northern boys, the eurosaloons are @ cadwell on sept 21 & the classic thunder is @ croft on ...............oh bugger 21+22 sept, tuff choise, but think ill be @ croft that weekend
Old 11 Jan 2013, 14:17 (Ref:3187750)   #1155
nsscc35
Rookie

nsscc35 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thanks for the reply

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy robinson View Post
for big powerfull stuff, either the classic thunder or the eurosaloons, for the northern boys, the eurosaloons are @ cadwell on sept 21 & the classic thunder is @ croft on ...............oh bugger 21+22 sept, tuff choise, but think ill be @ croft that weekend
I am looking for another series because its looking like my aero on the car is now outlawed for the northern sports championships.....messaged big andy from donni and hes says i can do the thunder classics...but iv also spoken with sara at euros and got a form....whats the deal with a forward facing camera in the car as a reg?

mind you i dont think anyone will beat that skyline...now thats quick

Cheers Pete
Old 24 Jan 2013, 17:08 (Ref:3193759)   #1156
nuffboost22
Rookie

nuffboost22 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi I am new to the forum and stumbled across this thread, my dad Jim Mensley used to own and drive the Honda Legend no 22 before unfortunately losing an eye working on it, I'll fish some photos out if anyone is interested?
Old 24 Jan 2013, 17:37 (Ref:3193767)   #1157
Stacy
Veteran

Australia
Stacy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridStacy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sorry to hear that - what on earth happened?
Old 24 Jan 2013, 18:12 (Ref:3193785)   #1158
nuffboost22
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stacy View Post
Sorry to hear that - what on earth happened?
Cutting sheet metal, it coiled under tension and poked him in the eye, a good lesson for wearing glasses.
Old 24 Jan 2013, 21:10 (Ref:3193867)   #1159
Stacy
Veteran

Australia
Stacy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridStacy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ouch. We've all done that at some point. There but for the grace of God and St Cutting Disc go we..

Definitely post the photos (of the car I mean).

S.
Old 24 Jan 2013, 21:22 (Ref:3193872)   #1160
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuffboost22 View Post
Hi I am new to the forum and stumbled across this thread, my dad Jim Mensley used to own and drive the Honda Legend no 22 before unfortunately losing an eye working on it, I'll fish some photos out if anyone is interested?
Wow! I remember Jim, we were doing TS at the same time. Well, pottering around at the back anyway! So yes I remember him, the Legend very well. Happy days, we had a really good time with the TS guys. So sorry to hear about the injury, life can be so terrible at times.

Please post some photos so we can wallow in nostalgia!
Old 26 Jan 2013, 14:01 (Ref:3194482)   #1161
andy robinson
Racer

United Kingdom
cramlington, northumberland
andy robinson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by nsscc35 View Post
I am looking for another series because its looking like my aero on the car is now outlawed for the northern sports championships.....messaged big andy from donni and hes says i can do the thunder classics...but iv also spoken with sara at euros and got a form....whats the deal with a forward facing camera in the car as a reg?

mind you i dont think anyone will beat that skyline...now thats quick

Cheers Pete
just forward facing camera, nowt fancy just so they can see what happened if need be

Ill be doing the rounds that siut me from both championships, but not as many as id like to
cheers andy
Old 26 Jan 2013, 21:22 (Ref:3194602)   #1162
MiniMadness
Veteran

Canada
Glen Allen VA/Kent UK
MiniMadness should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Is this the same Jim Mensley who had a Rover V8 Thundersaloon ?
Old 27 Jan 2013, 13:54 (Ref:3194876)   #1163
saaben
Rookie

saaben should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
thunder saloons

Is it also the same Jim Mensley that drove a Toyota hot rod on the short ovals? Early eighties I think.
Old 27 Jan 2013, 20:14 (Ref:3194978)   #1164
KA
Veteran

KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiniMadness View Post
Is this the same Jim Mensley who had a Rover V8 Thundersaloon ?
That's the one-
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y11...6071987011.jpg
Old 28 Jan 2013, 09:09 (Ref:3195204)   #1165
nuffboost22
Rookie

jim mensley

Hi,
Yes its the same chap with the Toyota and the Rover, he's now helping me and my brother run a BTCC focus in the tin tops. I'll sort those photos out this week.
Old 2 Apr 2013, 17:04 (Ref:3228102)   #1166
Evesblaah
Rookie

Evesblaah should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCS View Post
I think the top one might be the ex Julian Swayland carbuilt by Milton motors , Robert Bridger had this after him and then it went to John Muir at MV turbos in Scotland .I bought this car five years ago with a jag axle and a blown YB turbo in it and sold the shell to Lennie coad in Maidstone ,hes fitted a monster YB and a Sequential gearbox to it although ive not seen it race .

Im Julian Swaylands daughter
Old 4 Apr 2013, 07:09 (Ref:3228929)   #1167
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
I remember when Jim had his accident as he was friends with the guy I set up modprods with at the time, I also raced him once at Bolton stadium ask him if he remembers getting beaten by a rookie in a Mini that was me although I wasnt a rookie but a red top and stepped in when the rookie bottled it he got all the glory though as the comics reported his name not mine lol! I have the clipping here somewhere.