Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 15 Nov 2018, 00:10 (Ref:3863380)   #226
FormulaFox
Veteran

United States
Ohio
FormulaFox is heading for a stewards' enquiry!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driver TBA View Post
Camaro, GTR, Supra and any other sporty coupe would all suffer the same fate under the current control chassis.

The roadgoing Camaro's dimensions are actually BIGGER than the Supercars specifications. The Camaro would in all likelihood retain it's dimensions very well when scaled down to fit the Supercars chassis. Probably still wouldn't work PERFECTLY, but a lot better than the Mustang.
Old 15 Nov 2018, 03:58 (Ref:3863392)   #227
bludvl_x19
Veteran

Australia
umop apisdn
bludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridbludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridbludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridbludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
That was my first thought. They can the Mustang, yet bang on about how Toyota could be tempted with a very low roofed Supra.

Camaro, GTR, Supra and any other sporty coupe would all suffer the same fate under the current control chassis.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Mustang: (mm)
Length 4784
Width 1916
Height 1394
Wheelbase: ??

Supra (mm, converted from inches)
Length 4378.96
Width 1854.2
Height 1290.32
Wheelbase 2468.88

So the Supra road car is 40mm shorter, 62mm narrower, and not as high by 100mm than the Mustang.

There is potential for a Supracar to look entirely ridiculous in every aspect aside from a render.
Old 15 Nov 2018, 04:38 (Ref:3863393)   #228
V8 Fireworks
Veteran

V8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bludvl_x19 View Post
Mustang: (mm)
Length 4784
Width 1916
Height 1394
Wheelbase: 2720
Ford Falcon FG X
Length 4949
Width 1868
Height 1494
Wheelbase: 2838

So the Mustang has likely been raised by 100mm, squashed in width by 50mm, and stretched in wheelbase by about 100mm potentially (depending on what the wheelbase of a COTF is). No wonder it looks so strange!!

PS. What is the wheelbase of a COTF? I cannot find any mention of the wheelbase in V8 Supercar technical rules https://d3spxwpngnho1k.cloudfront.ne...ved-200218.pdf -> it only refers you to the relevant "VSD" (vehicle specification document?)
Old 15 Nov 2018, 04:59 (Ref:3863395)   #229
Driver TBA
Veteran

Driver TBA should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by FormulaFox View Post
The roadgoing Camaro's dimensions are actually BIGGER than the Supercars specifications. The Camaro would in all likelihood retain it's dimensions very well when scaled down to fit the Supercars chassis. Probably still wouldn't work PERFECTLY, but a lot better than the Mustang.

According to the Google machine a 6th gen Camaro is 1350mm high. 50mm lower than the Mustang. Would that not mean its roofline will suffer the same fate, only 50mm worse?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bludvl_x19 View Post
There is potential for a Supracar to look entirely ridiculous in every aspect aside from a render.
Remember the car Homer designed on the Simpsons?

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Fireworks View Post
What is the wheelbase of a COTF?
Isn't it the same as a BF Falcon? A carryover legacy when the VE was released and had to match the BF's wheelbase under the Blueprint rules. The FG then had to be chopped to match the chopped VE, upon its release.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
Old 15 Nov 2018, 06:03 (Ref:3863397)   #230
FormulaFox
Veteran

United States
Ohio
Quote:
According to the Google machine a 6th gen Camaro is 1350mm high. 50mm lower than the Mustang. Would that not mean its roofline will suffer the same fate, only 50mm worse?
Considering this means that the roofline will be lowered less than the Mustang's, I don't see how that would make things worse or better.

Height
Supercar: 1220
Camaro: 1350
Mustang: 1381

Overall length
Supercar: 4890
Camaro: 4780
Mustang: 4784

Width
Supercar: 1880
Camaro: 1900
Mustang: 1916

Wheelbase
Supercar: 2820
Camaro: 2810
Mustang: 2720

(when recalling this information during my earlier post I got a few numbers reversed in my head; As you can see not ALL of the Camaro's measurements exceed the Supercar)

You'll notice that in most measurements, the Camaro is either larger than the Supercar or much closer than the Mustang was. Relative to the Mustang, the crucial detail is width, where the Camaro is narrower - it would be slimmed down by almost half the amount of the Mustang, which would have a major effect on how tall it looks.

(source for my Supercars measurements: https://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport...5d7-1542260650 It's a weird source, yes, but I cannot find ANYWHERE else that gives the exact dimensions - not even on the Supercars website)

Now, there IS a problem when comparing height here: These sorts of measurements are usually measured from the roof to the GROUND, and a Supercar obviously sits lower than a roadgoing Camaro and Mustang. What we really need is a reliable measurement from the roof to the bottom of the bodywork.
Old 15 Nov 2018, 06:07 (Ref:3863398)   #231
V8 Fireworks
Veteran

V8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
(source for my Supercars measurements: https://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport...5d7-1542260650 It's a weird source, yes, but I cannot find ANYWHERE else that gives the exact dimensions - not even on the Supercars website)
Thank you so much for your research!
Old 15 Nov 2018, 10:38 (Ref:3863448)   #232
Chris - Melb
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
Chris - Melb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridChris - Melb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
......What we really need is a reliable measurement from the roof to the bottom of the bodywork.
By eye the distance from the bottom of the sill panel and the highest part of the roof (in the centre line) is about 1220 at the highest point towards the front screen, 1150 where the back window starts, which is where the main problem in fitting the cage is. The roof curves to the outer edges there a bit too (1100).

Keep in mind that the Supercar is based on the 2018 Mustang, which has a lower nose than the more familiar 2015-2017 model that people may be comparing it to. See here: https://www.carscoops.com/2017/01/20...ng-poll-photo/

Having seen the car at the Phillip Island test (albeit from a distance), I think most will think the car looks better in the flesh and will not notice the differences that much.

The camouflage livery hiding the body lines does not help. I remember the outcry when the first leaked photos of the production 2018 Mustang surfaced. The car looked pretty plain and very ordinary, but it turned out to be just an unfortunate capture from a poor quality video.

I think in a few months time most of this fuss will similarly die down.
Old 15 Nov 2018, 11:06 (Ref:3863449)   #233
FormulaFox
Veteran

United States
Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris - Melb View Post
Having seen the car at the Phillip Island test (albeit from a distance), I think most will think the car looks better in the flesh and will not notice the differences that much.
I have no doubt it will look a lot better once those ungodly huge rear wing endplates are replaced with the proper ones. It's amazing just how much of the look can be influenced by such things - look at a DTM car from the side, then photoshop out the rear wing - The top of the car will suddenly look like it dropped 4-5 inches. That really high wing skews the look at the bodywork lines, and I'm sure that's a big part of what's at work here.
Old 15 Nov 2018, 11:24 (Ref:3863450)   #234
FormulaFox
Veteran

United States
Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Fireworks View Post
Thank you so much for your research!
I wouldn't put blind faith in that source, but until someone can dig up something more trustworthy it's the best we've got.
Old 19 Nov 2018, 04:20 (Ref:3864114)   #235
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Mustang Ergonomics Same As Falcon

Could it be because it is a reskin of an existing Falcon?
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 19 Nov 2018, 04:36 (Ref:3864117)   #236
Armco Bender
Llama Assassin and Sheep Botherer
Veteran

New Zealand
International Sheep Ambassador
Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Mustang my ****,thats just a Falcon with a pony on the grill.
Told you so...
Old 19 Nov 2018, 06:08 (Ref:3864124)   #237
bludvl_x19
Veteran

Australia
umop apisdn
bludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridbludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridbludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridbludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
Mustang Ergonomics Same As Falcon

Could it be because it is a reskin of an existing Falcon?
Quote:
Relative to the body's B-pillar, the standardised driver's seat position is further forward, while the coupe's roof is more rounded front-to-back than any of the existing models.
So.... the seat is in a standard position and the B pillar is further back? Who on earth would have thunk that....
Old 23 Mar 2019, 08:29 (Ref:3892903)   #238
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame

Old 23 Mar 2019, 09:44 (Ref:3892912)   #239
Mixer
Veteran

Mixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
That front end actually looks more like the road car than the Supercar.
Old 23 Mar 2019, 10:49 (Ref:3892921)   #240
Forda
Veteran

Forda should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What does McNamara care - Holden no longer employ him.

Unless they pay him for posting on social media, or provide him with a loan car or something?
Old 23 Mar 2019, 11:37 (Ref:3892931)   #241
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forda View Post

Unless they pay him for posting on social media, or provide him with a loan car or something?
Simply a fan. With an almost irreplaceable inside knowledge of the machinations of the sport. And still simply a fan.
Old 24 Mar 2019, 13:03 (Ref:3893054)   #242
Sandgroper
Veteran

Australia
Perth WA (south of the river)
Sandgroper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Simply a fan. With an almost irreplaceable inside knowledge of the machinations of the sport. And still simply a fan.
EXACTLY. Would love a night out at the dinner table with him.

Oh the stories
Old 24 Mar 2019, 21:30 (Ref:3893115)   #243
Forda
Veteran

Forda should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Seems a little short-sighted for him to not keep his options open; should he wish to rejoin the sport, and put that irreplaceable inside knowledge back into productive use.
Old 24 Mar 2019, 23:52 (Ref:3893129)   #244
bluesport
Veteran

Australia
bluesport User had had their licence endorsedbluesport User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forda View Post

Once a whinger, always a whinger.
Old 23 Apr 2019, 05:22 (Ref:3899096)   #245
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Mustang Wings Clipped
Old 23 Apr 2019, 05:29 (Ref:3899097)   #246
Mixer
Veteran

Mixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Did hear discussion from someone in the know of those end plates functioning like rudders an providing stability in corners, all of which escapes the aero homologation.

Kinda interested to understand the methodology in this and what changes ensure future homologation is solid.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk
Old 23 Apr 2019, 06:01 (Ref:3899099)   #247
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
Well I guess that isn't a surprise given all the chat about this within the sport.

I reckon that it's probably about 15 years since such a parity change to aero has been made during the season (that was a reduction in the commodore front undertray).

Prior to COTF, there was a process within the supercar rules / vehicle recognition process to assess parity across the two makes racing at the time - it used data from the timing system across all races and going deep into the field (not just the front runners).

When COTF came in, that process was dumped in the belief that the new regulations would provide technical parity without the need for adjustments outside of the testing / approval process.

From the sound of this statement, it seems that supercars has gone back to a process similar to that pre-COTF arrangement. Not surprised, to me it seemed foolhardy to go away from the process in the first place as it provides an effective "safety net".

Whilst not perfect (nothing is) the category has always been a technical parity based competition and having some kind of ongoing data to assess so that tech parity can be monitored as best as possible makes sense - what doesn't make sense was to go away from such measurement but good to see that something similar seems to be underway again.
Old 23 Apr 2019, 06:09 (Ref:3899100)   #248
Mixer
Veteran

A thousand comments on the Facebook post already, and none of them good...
Old 23 Apr 2019, 06:27 (Ref:3899101)   #249
kittle
Veteran

kittle should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ford designed the Mustang within the rules. Now they have to pay again to have the changed.

Why should they have to pay to redo it when they did it perfectly the first time?

Shouldn’t Holden and Nissan have to submit new aero changes?
Old 23 Apr 2019, 06:57 (Ref:3899103)   #250
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by kittle View Post
Ford designed the Mustang within the rules. Now they have to pay again to have the changed.

Why should they have to pay to redo it when they did it perfectly the first time?

Shouldn’t Holden and Nissan have to submit new aero changes?
Well I guess if the data that has been examined shows an imbalance for one of the three manufacturers then it makes sense to adjust the one car that is deemed to be different or have an advantage, particularly when that adjustment requires reduction in the size of aero components.

For example, when holden had the front under tray trimmed back in the day, it was done that way as there simply wasn't space under the front of the ford of the time to increase the size of the ford's undertray. For all we know, could be something similar at play in this case too.