Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > North American Racing

Old 3 Oct 2013, 07:44 (Ref:3312147)   #2651
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
Sounds more like a guesstimate than an actual figure.
Old 3 Oct 2013, 08:31 (Ref:3312172)   #2652
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
CTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Has we ever know the true BHP, for an upcoming or currently racing Manufacture Prototype?
Old 3 Oct 2013, 08:42 (Ref:3312177)   #2653
Victor_RO
Veteran

Romania
Cluj-Napoca, Romania
Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTD View Post
Has we ever know the true BHP, for an upcoming or currently racing Manufacture Prototype?
Probably only guesstimates from MulsanneMike based on top speed traps and calculated/assumed drag and downforce figures from the little data that is publicly available (and photos).
Old 3 Oct 2013, 20:58 (Ref:3312530)   #2654
Speed-King
Veteran

Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!
There's a Porsche 936 in the new Vodafone commercial. Just sayin'.
Old 3 Oct 2013, 21:36 (Ref:3312535)   #2655
deggis
Veteran

Finland
deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!
TV ad? In what kind of context?
Old 3 Oct 2013, 21:39 (Ref:3312536)   #2656
Speed-King
Veteran

Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by deggis View Post
Tv ad?
Saw it in cinema, but I also found it on the web:

http://www.bild.de/video/clip/vodafo...9242.bild.html

Porsche appears at 0:45 minutes. Note that all the sponsor names on the Porsche have been replaced with fantasy ones, though.
Old 3 Oct 2013, 21:47 (Ref:3312537)   #2657
deggis
Veteran

Finland
deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!
It kind of is the Martini livery - just trademark cleaned, in an ad that consist of so much CGI...

...but maybe the CGI animator is just a fan, I guess it fits the shark > car transformation too and I think it is possible to do this without having anything to do with Porsche. E.g. many video games 100% look-a-like cars with fictional names.

Last edited by deggis; 3 Oct 2013 at 21:57.
Old 3 Oct 2013, 22:24 (Ref:3312546)   #2658
isynge
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!
Quote:
It kind of is the Martini livery - just trademark cleaned, in an ad that consist of so much CGI...

...but maybe the CGI animator is just a fan, I guess it fits the shark > car transformation too and I think it is possible to do this without having anything to do with Porsche. E.g. many video games 100% look-a-like cars with fictional names.

Undeniably a 936 and, as Deggis says, a classic case of a whitewashed bit of CGI. I'm sure Porsche could have a go regarding intellectual property violation, and might get somewhere, but might not, given that they didn't kick up a fuss about Joest's 908/80 - so the precedent might not be on their side.

If it wasn't Vodafone I'd say it was certainly a reflection of the animator's preference, or accident in them looking for "race car" in a model library and finding a 936, but in this case I imagine there's more a case of both parties seeing some latent worth in using what's subliminally suggested.

More than that (cue Button appearing in a Porsche LMP1 with Vodafone sponsorship rumours) I'll doubt, but doesn't stop me relishing a nicely put together bit of video that uses a great car.
Old 4 Oct 2013, 14:43 (Ref:3312770)   #2659
Dario911
Veteran

Italy
Somewhere in the world...
Dario911 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Following the last news, Porsche will be fitted with a 4-boxer 2.0 turbocharged engine. It sounds good... more than the rumored 4-L one.
Le Mans, 23/06/2013, 15:00, Allan we miss you!
Porsche 1°-2° in GTE-Pro class with 991 GT3 RSR
Porsche 1st. place in GTE-Am class with 997 GT3 RSR
Old 5 Oct 2013, 00:15 (Ref:3312980)   #2660
deggis
Veteran

Finland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dario911 View Post
Following the last news, Porsche will be fitted with a 4-boxer 2.0 turbocharged engine.
News? Where?

Quote:
It sounds good... more than the rumored 4-L one.
L for litre? Since when that was in the rumors?
Old 5 Oct 2013, 00:40 (Ref:3312991)   #2661
cmk
Veteran

Canada
Linköping, Sweden
cmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridcmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridcmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I'm pretty sure he means inline-4, given what was previously rumoured.

Maybe L derives from 'linea' in Italian.
Old 7 Oct 2013, 07:55 (Ref:3313987)   #2662
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
John Dagys tweeting rumors Porsche may test their lmp1 @sebring in December
Old 7 Oct 2013, 11:44 (Ref:3314062)   #2663
Spyderman
Veteran

Mozambique
Mozambique
Spyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Fritz Enzinger is talking to the media today at the Heroes of Le Mans event at the Hockenheim ring. Perhaps we will get some nuggets of information in the next couple of days.
Old 7 Oct 2013, 13:14 (Ref:3314102)   #2664
Hawkwood
Veteran

United Kingdom
Warrington
Hawkwood should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHawkwood should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Along with Brendon Hartley, Marc Lieb will get a couple of tests to see if he can do the business in an LMP1.
If he can, he'll be confirmed for Porsche's return next year

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/110427
Old 7 Oct 2013, 13:43 (Ref:3314110)   #2665
Victor_RO
Veteran

Romania
Cluj-Napoca, Romania
Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkwood View Post
Along with Brendon Hartley, Marc Lieb will get a couple of tests to see if he can do the business in an LMP1.
If he can, he'll be confirmed for Porsche's return next year

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/110427
And it's nice to actually hear some of this straight from the horse's mouth, as it were.
Old 8 Oct 2013, 06:56 (Ref:3314431)   #2666
gwyllion
Veteran

Belgium
gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TF110 View Post
Not sure if new, but it seems the consensus is they're running a twin turbo ~2 liter flat-4 engine http://letertrerouge.blogspot.fr/201...stics.html?m=1
http://www.mulsannescorner.com/newssept13.html argues why flat-4 does not make sense for the Porsche LMP1 (packaging of exhaust and intake routing).
Old 8 Oct 2013, 07:53 (Ref:3314450)   #2667
TF110
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwyllion View Post
http://www.mulsannescorner.com/newssept13.html argues why flat-4 does not make sense for the Porsche LMP1 (packaging of exhaust and intake routing).
Ive seen stranger things.
Old 8 Oct 2013, 08:13 (Ref:3314456)   #2668
Spyderman
Veteran

Mozambique
Mozambique
Spyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Porsche seem to be the only ones going down the small turbo engine route. I sincerely hope that I don't have to sit through a display of the tortoise and the hare strategy (which in today's age almost inevitably has the victory handed to the hare).
Old 8 Oct 2013, 08:19 (Ref:3314461)   #2669
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
CTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyderman View Post
Porsche seem to be the only ones going down the small turbo engine route. I sincerely hope that I don't have to sit through a display of the tortoise and the hare strategy (which in today's age almost inevitably has the victory handed to the hare).
I disagree!
In the Peugeot vs. Audi days it was often Audi who were the Tortoise, with Peugeot as the Hare.
The close finishes, we have had a couple of in the last 5 years, shows me that the Tortoise vs. Hare battle can be quite interesting - especially for an Endurance fan!
Old 8 Oct 2013, 08:46 (Ref:3314475)   #2670
Spyderman
Veteran

Mozambique
Mozambique
Well, as long as the "Porsche tortoise" is as fast as the "Audi tortoise", I'll be happy.
Old 8 Oct 2013, 08:51 (Ref:3314477)   #2671
gwyllion
Veteran

Belgium
gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Porsche seem to be the only ones going down the small turbo engine route.
So is HPD Yes, the Porsche 1.6-2.0 liter 4 cilinder is a bit smaller than the HPD 2.2 V6, but not that much.
Old 8 Oct 2013, 09:26 (Ref:3314484)   #2672
MyNameIsNigel
Veteran

Switzerland
Lake Geneva Area
MyNameIsNigel has a real shot at the podium!MyNameIsNigel has a real shot at the podium!MyNameIsNigel has a real shot at the podium!MyNameIsNigel has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwyllion View Post
Mike states the following at the end of his article:
Quote:
And cylinder count? Sources indicate that given the small capacity the issue becomes capacity vs. cylinder count vs. friction, and that a small 4-cylinder is right on the edge. So will the Porsche have 4 cylinders? For now I can't say without more information regarding the actual engine capacity, etc.
Could that mean more than four cylinders, e.g. V6 ?
Old 8 Oct 2013, 09:27 (Ref:3314486)   #2673
deggis
Veteran

Finland
Quote:
What the turbo decision alone has to do with tortoise strategy?

In the Audi vs. Pug years when Audi was definitely a tortoise, they were always struggling with a much slower car, but I don't think the car was made slow on purpose... I don't think there has been a real tortoise vs. hare since the start of 2011.

Also I'm still doubtful whether Toyota's decision to go with V8 is purely based on performance reasons or if they're simply forced to go that way because of budget reasons.
Old 8 Oct 2013, 09:43 (Ref:3314497)   #2674
Spyderman
Veteran

Mozambique
Mozambique
Quote:
What the turbo decision alone has to do with tortoise strategy? .
I think you misunderstand what I was trying to get at. It's not the turbo in itself that is directly related to the tortoise strategy, but rather a "small Turbo engine". What I don't what to see is the Porsche being outgunned by its larger engine rivals and having to rely on just fuel saving strategy to be competitive at the end of the race. I want to see a competitive car throughout the race...on every lap. Hopefully that is not too much to ask.

Quote:
In the Audi vs. Pug years when Audi was definitely a tortoise, they were always struggling with a much slower car, but I don't think the car was made slow on purpose... I don't think there has been a real tortoise vs. hare since the start of 2011..
Exactly the point I was trying to make.

Quote:
Also I'm still doubtful whether Toyota's decision to go with V8 is purely based on performance reasons or if they're simply forced to go that way because of budget reasons.
As a Porsche fan, I hope that it's the latter.
Old 8 Oct 2013, 12:47 (Ref:3314587)   #2675
Tim the Grey
Veteran

Wales
Across the M40 from Gaydon...
Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!
Reading Mike's Musings on the Porsche layout, the thought comes to mind that you want the weight LOW down, minimising aero and CofG penalties, yes?
Then I mull back to a 1.5 litre straight 4 that could put out 1500BHP at it's peak.
Remember the Laydown BMW built to fit in an ultra low Brabham? BT55 just lacked, as Gordon Murray will tell you, TIME...