Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > North American Racing

Old 8 Oct 2013, 14:14 (Ref:3314614)   #2676
Maelochs
Veteran

Maelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I don't see any team risking relying on a slow, very efficient car at least for the first year because no one knows what the other teams might be able to do.

If Porsche builds an underpowered, very efficient car and hopes to win by making one less stop, and Audi somehow produces a more powerful and almost as efficient car, then that one stop edge might be lost (particularly at Le Mans with its long laps) or the edge of one stop might not be enough.

Those are the kinds of decisions that could be made later in the season when teams see the real-world race performance of their rivals, but at that point the differences gained by turning the power up or down might be minimal because of the maximum fuel consumption rule, 1.e. the motor won't be able to get a lot more powerful.

The only sensible route would be to design a car with all the power it needs and more so the fuel economy can be dialed up as needed. We might see some races like this season's where one car is a little faster and one a little more economical, but I don't see anyone risking building a radically more efficient and markedly slower car.

In fact, I see engine management tech and hybrid tech getting huge boosts, as engineers work to increase both power and efficiency. We probably won't see one car really faster or more efficient than the rest until one factory makes some kind of breakthrough, and even then it would likely only last a season.
Old 8 Oct 2013, 15:45 (Ref:3314663)   #2677
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Webber to get Porsche test in January.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/110453
Old 9 Oct 2013, 04:07 (Ref:3314938)   #2678
deggis
Veteran

Finland
deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!
^
Quote:
Porsche has so far tested its LMP1 at Lausitz, Magny-Cours and Aragon, as well as its own Weissach test facility.

Further tests this year are planned at Monza, Paul Ricard and the Algarve circuit.
Monza means spy videos and pics! (at least when Audi tests there...)
Old 9 Oct 2013, 05:13 (Ref:3314949)   #2679
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by deggis View Post
^

Monza means spy videos and pics! (at least when Audi tests there...)
It should be easier for those curious since the Porsche makes (a little) more noise.
Old 11 Oct 2013, 09:11 (Ref:3316178)   #2680
Victor_RO
Veteran

Romania
Cluj-Napoca, Romania
Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!
Official confirmations of a couple of headlining team personnel, also officially official acknowledgement from Porsche themselves that Lieb and Hartley are being evaluated for the final two full-season seats: http://www.endurance-info.com/versio...cus-21233.html
Old 11 Oct 2013, 17:23 (Ref:3316361)   #2681
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Hartley is understandably a happy man.

Quote:
“It's an unbelievable opportunity," Hartley told RACER on Friday. "I moved into sports car racing last year with the hope of being recognized by a manufacturer. To think 18 months later Porsche has asked me to test and given me an opportunity, I wouldn't have believed it. It's an opportunity of a lifetime. And I feel really ready for it.

"I'm still pretty young, but I feel ready for it. I'm still pinching myself, honestly. Opportunities like this don't come around very often, and right now, I'm not really thinking about Formula 1, career-wise. I'm really happy with the sports car decision I've made, and it's pretty unreal to consider what driving for Porsche would mean for me."
http://www.racer.com/porsche-testing...rticle/315909/

The question is - has he already been offered the seat, or is it dependent on the test pace?
Old 11 Oct 2013, 18:58 (Ref:3316390)   #2682
Victor_RO
Veteran

Romania
Cluj-Napoca, Romania
Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simmi View Post
The question is - has he already been offered the seat, or is it dependent on the test pace?
I'd be inclined to say the former, keeps other drivers calling and gives them a pool of interested people from which to choose the three drivers in the third car for Le Mans. Also, if what I read a couple of days ago is true, Porsche are using a brand-new simulator for testing, and Hartley is probably one of the most experienced sim test drivers around, so his skill and expertise in that area should be a key factor.
Old 11 Oct 2013, 19:06 (Ref:3316393)   #2683
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Victor_RO View Post
I'd be inclined to say the former, keeps other drivers calling and gives them a pool of interested people from which to choose the three drivers in the third car for Le Mans. Also, if what I read a couple of days ago is true, Porsche are using a brand-new simulator for testing, and Hartley is probably one of the most experienced sim test drivers around, so his skill and expertise in that area should be a key factor.
Agree with you Victor in that he already has the deal. No reason to come out and admit to the testing if you are just evaluating a driver.

I see you think they'll have a third car at LM? Hope so but not seen any mention of it...

9 works cars in a battle would make my year but I just can't see it.
Old 12 Oct 2013, 14:07 (Ref:3316687)   #2684
Articus
Veteran

Articus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridArticus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridArticus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
It looks like those headlights are here to stay...
Old 12 Oct 2013, 15:09 (Ref:3316709)   #2685
gert
Veteran

Belgium
Antwerp
gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!
Bernhard-Dumas-Lieb & Webber-Hartley-Jani

3 longtime Porsche runners and 3 new guys.
also 3 ex-RedBull guys and 3 others.

Surely Porsche can come up with better driver pairings than I can, based on driver size or driving styles ...

(Webber 185cm, Hartley 184cm, Lieb 182cm, Bernhard 174cm, Dumas 174cm, Jani 172cm -- no shocking differences there)

Last edited by gert; 12 Oct 2013 at 15:18.
Old 12 Oct 2013, 17:04 (Ref:3316742)   #2686
Hawkwood
Veteran

United Kingdom
Warrington
Hawkwood should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHawkwood should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simmi View Post
Hartley is understandably a happy man.

http://www.racer.com/porsche-testing...rticle/315909/

Well Porsche said Lieb's 2014 seat is pace dependent, but they "declined to comment" on whether Hartley's seat is dependent on the same.
As Victor_RO said, Hartley's deal seems tied to the simulator.
Old 14 Oct 2013, 02:12 (Ref:3317515)   #2687
yamato
Racer

yamato should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
With regard to a possible third car for LM,...

The WEC did state that additional entries at LM could take up scoring spaces,....

A little strange that they can't score points at regular WEC rounds but they can take up points w/o the ability to accrue them at LM????

I'd love to see a 9 car battle,.... I hope that carrot is enough to have each team bring the extra car.
Old 14 Oct 2013, 11:35 (Ref:3317687)   #2688
Gingers4Justice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Highbury, London
Gingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by yamato View Post
With regard to a possible third car for LM,...

The WEC did state that additional entries at LM could take up scoring spaces,....

A little strange that they can't score points at regular WEC rounds but they can take up points w/o the ability to accrue them at LM????

I'd love to see a 9 car battle,.... I hope that carrot is enough to have each team bring the extra car.
My understanding is that the points only go to the two highest-placed cars.
Old 14 Oct 2013, 11:41 (Ref:3317691)   #2689
Mike E
Veteran

Mike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gingers4Justice View Post
Me too. Maybe confusing because the drivers in the third car can score drivers' championship points, even though their car would not score manufacturers' points.
Old 14 Oct 2013, 12:47 (Ref:3317727)   #2690
deggis
Veteran

Finland
deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gingers4Justice View Post
Yes: http://tentenths.com/forum/showpost....postcount=3639
Old 14 Oct 2013, 17:42 (Ref:3317824)   #2691
MyNameIsNigel
Veteran

Switzerland
Lake Geneva Area
MyNameIsNigel has a real shot at the podium!MyNameIsNigel has a real shot at the podium!MyNameIsNigel has a real shot at the podium!MyNameIsNigel has a real shot at the podium!
The Porsche microsite "Mission 2014. Our Return" has apparently been updated with new video footage about the whole LMP1 infrastructure in Weissach (including test track and LMP1 Research & Development Center). There is even a specific video about the new LMP1 engine where we get a chance to see it ... blurred . Can't find the direct link to the relevant video, but I am sure you will find it by browsing through the microsite.

Browse through until you get to "The test stands."

Last edited by MyNameIsNigel; 14 Oct 2013 at 17:47.
Old 14 Oct 2013, 17:55 (Ref:3317828)   #2693
MyNameIsNigel
Veteran

Switzerland
Lake Geneva Area
MyNameIsNigel has a real shot at the podium!MyNameIsNigel has a real shot at the podium!MyNameIsNigel has a real shot at the podium!MyNameIsNigel has a real shot at the podium!
Can anybody tell me what "Porsche TDFI" stands for ???
Old 14 Oct 2013, 18:06 (Ref:3317834)   #2695
Victor_RO
Veteran

Romania
Cluj-Napoca, Romania
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyNameIsNigel View Post
Can anybody tell me what "Porsche TDFI" stands for ???
Turbocharged direct fuel injection?
Old 14 Oct 2013, 18:07 (Ref:3317835)   #2696
deggis
Veteran

Finland
^ Judging from Google results, not very used abbreviation (<2000 results). I assume after 2014, it will be.
Old 14 Oct 2013, 18:23 (Ref:3317840)   #2697
Pontlieue
Racer

Pontlieue should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridPontlieue should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Victor_RO View Post
Turbocharged direct fuel injection?
That would be my guess too.
Old 14 Oct 2013, 18:24 (Ref:3317842)   #2698
MyNameIsNigel
Veteran

Switzerland
Lake Geneva Area
If it turns out to be a "Turbo Diesel something", we are due for a "good" surprise
Old 14 Oct 2013, 18:25 (Ref:3317844)   #2699
Victor_RO
Veteran

Romania
Cluj-Napoca, Romania
Didn't they abbreviate the direct injection system on the RS Spyder in late 2008 as DFI? Then TDFI would be a logical turbocharged variant of that.
Old 14 Oct 2013, 18:28 (Ref:3317846)   #2700
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
CTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
http://www.porsche.com/usa/aboutpors...fuelinjection/
It is Turbo-DFI