Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 8 Feb 2018, 02:15 (Ref:3799430)   #51
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Briscoe keen on 12H drive after Bathurst visit
Old 8 Feb 2018, 02:19 (Ref:3799432)   #52
Go Harder.
Racer

Australia
Somewhere in the sticks...
Go Harder. should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by peckstar View Post
Nothing. either a smaller field or more of the other cars

40 cars does not worry me. smaller fields have tended to mean less safety cars.

Im not sure anyone would be upset with less safety cars
If you're not into multi class racing and grid size doesn't matter, you could just get your Bathurst rush in October no?
Old 8 Feb 2018, 02:25 (Ref:3799434)   #53
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Harder. View Post
If you're not into multi class racing and grid size doesn't matter, you could just get your Bathurst rush in October no?
Let me say the same thing another way

If you're into multi class racing and grid size matters, you could just get your Bathurst rush in April yes?

Sorry, that argument no longer cuts it as there is an alternative. And it has even more classes and bigger grids for those that think that way

Ive never meet a poster who wished there was more safety cars. Almost every poster mentions ways to reduce Safety cars. Well grid size is one
Old 8 Feb 2018, 02:44 (Ref:3799442)   #54
Umai Naa
Veteran

Umai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridUmai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I'm all out of popcorn.
Old 8 Feb 2018, 02:57 (Ref:3799444)   #55
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umai Naa View Post
I'm all out of popcorn.
woe betide someone should have a different opinion to someone in a forum hey

you should just hide them
Old 8 Feb 2018, 02:58 (Ref:3799445)   #56
Axeman444
Veteran

Australia
Calling a spade a spade...
Axeman444 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAxeman444 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
you asked why tickford are not running a GT4, i answered you. To be clear a $300,000 Gt4 mustang is not a good deal in Australia.
GT4 is a beginners level category for gentleman racers. Gt4 is an almost non existent category in Australia so hardly worth spending $300,000 for a one off event when you can spend that money and run in other sereis which are better attended or watched.

The price is similar to a MARC II which is up to 10 seconds a lap quicker as well and promoted the mustang a lot more attractively
No you provided your opinion while ridiculing mine. There's a big difference.

So if $300k is not a good deal, why did Steve Richards and Tony Longhurst both drop their hard earned coin to put one in their stable? In my opinion, Steve Richards probably got a discount to show the car off as the local distributor and potentially drive some car sales. Would that be considered advertising the business? But wait, Tony Longhurst brought one out specifically to advertise his business in his last hurrah: "The first thing is to get through the Bathurst 12 Hour and I want to use it as a promotional tool for The Boat Works". Wow, bold plan there, mustn't be a very astute business person, or just plainly an idiot! However, I wonder who else could do something similar? Maybe Prodrive?

Quote:
woe betide someone should have a different opinion to someone in a forum hey
Ummm...
Old 8 Feb 2018, 03:10 (Ref:3799446)   #57
chavez
Veteran

Australia
The Basin, Victoria
chavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I enjoyed the GT4 category at the 12 hours.

The cars are pleasing to the eye, sound okay and featured some pretty good drivers behind the wheel.

Of course it is quite possible to enjoy the 6 hours, the 12 hours and the 1000. We are all free to select our particular order of preference.

Interestingly my 14 year old son prefers the 12 hour, followed by the 6 hour and then the 1000.

YMMV.
Old 8 Feb 2018, 03:15 (Ref:3799447)   #58
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axeman444 View Post
So if $300k is not a good deal, why did Steve Richards and Tony Longhurst both drop their hard earned coin to put one in their stable? In my opinion, Steve Richards probably got a discount to show the car off as the local distributor and potentially drive some car sales. Would that be considered advertising the business? But wait, Tony Longhurst brought one out specifically to advertise his business in his last hurrah: "The first thing is to get through the Bathurst 12 Hour and I want to use it as a promotional tool for The Boat Works". Wow, bold plan there, mustn't be a very astute business person, or just plainly an idiot! However, I wonder who else could do something similar? Maybe Prodrive?
Are we still ridiculing, thought we stopped.

I guess tickford decided the bathurst 1000 was a better promotional opportunity with a series they already compete in as oppose to an event they would have to spend massive amounts of money tooling up for.

Compared to say SRM who are already competing in that series.
Old 8 Feb 2018, 03:53 (Ref:3799450)   #59
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chavez View Post

The cars are pleasing to the eye, sound okay and featured some pretty good drivers behind the wheel.

Of course it is quite possible to enjoy the 6 hours, the 12 hours and the 1000. We are all free to select our particular order of preference.
Agreed - the GT4 category was very enjoyable trackside at the event. It runs with GT3 all over the world and is seen as a likely replacement for GT3 down the road.

Look forward to GT4 being a part of the 12 Hour for many years to come.
Old 8 Feb 2018, 04:45 (Ref:3799457)   #60
Axeman444
Veteran

Australia
Axeman444 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAxeman444 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Are we still ridiculing, thought we stopped.

I guess tickford decided the bathurst 1000 was a better promotional opportunity with a series they already compete in as oppose to an event they would have to spend massive amounts of money tooling up for.

Compared to say SRM who are already competing in that series.
I'm presenting facts, which support my opinion.

So why in your opinion did Tony Longhurst bring a car out, which by all reports was only for the 12hr, if it such a silly idea? And what tooling would Tickford require to spend massive amounts of money on, for an off the shelf car?
Old 8 Feb 2018, 04:58 (Ref:3799461)   #61
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Quote:
Originally Posted by chavez View Post

Interestingly my 14 year old son prefers the 12 hour, followed by the 6 hour and then the 1000.

YMMV.
so did I, No one is suggesting it wasnt enjoyable.

But what would happen if it wasnt there. Would it change anything. would people stop going, would people enjoy the race less, or would we enjoy the race more because a smaller field has been shown to reduce Safety cars and thus we get more racing.
Old 8 Feb 2018, 05:02 (Ref:3799463)   #62
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Quote:
I'm presenting facts, which support my opinion.

So why in your opinion did Tony Longhurst bring a car out, which by all reports was only for the 12hr, if it such a silly idea? And what tooling would Tickford require to spend massive amounts of money on, for an off the shelf car?
No idea why tony longhurst did it. he wanted to i guess. Really its unimportant

However the discussion was regarding tickford running one to show of their road going package

Tickford would need a $300,000 motor car, they would need spare parts, they would need a budget to run the car at Bathurst, they would need drivers and a pit crew. All up they could be talking $500,000 to show off their mustang road car to a small audience many of who are not going to buy a mustang. MARC obtained the same benefit for Tickford at no cost to Tickford.
Old 8 Feb 2018, 05:32 (Ref:3799467)   #63
Axeman444
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
No idea why tony longhurst did it. he wanted to i guess. Really its unimportant

However the discussion was regarding tickford running one to show of their road going package

Tickford would need a $300,000 motor car, they would need spare parts, they would need a budget to run the car at Bathurst, they would need drivers and a pit crew. All up they could be talking $500,000 to show off their mustang road car to a small audience many of who are not going to buy a mustang. MARC obtained the same benefit for Tickford at no cost to Tickford.
I've already told you why Tony Longhurst did it, for advertising his company. He saw value in it, and was quoted as doing so. In your theory he spent $500k to show of a boat yard, totally unrelated to BMW's. Surely therefore there would be even better synergy with Tickford doing some advertising of their own, and run a few young blokes to develop them at the same time, in my opinion.

The casual race watchers on Sunday would obviously not understand what is underneath the skin of a MARC II, but most race fans would, so not sure how that would relate to selling Mustang tuning kits or bolt ons.

But hey, Tickford aren't running a Mustang, which is why I commented, because you know, opinions, before being ridiculed.
Old 8 Feb 2018, 05:43 (Ref:3799469)   #64
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Quote:
I've already told you why Tony Longhurst did it, for advertising his company. He saw value in it, and was quoted as doing so. In your theory he spent $500k to show of a boat yard, totally unrelated to BMW's. Surely therefore there would be even better synergy with Tickford doing some advertising of their own, and run a few young blokes to develop them at the same time, in my opinion.

The casual race watchers on Sunday would obviously not understand what is underneath the skin of a MARC II, but most race fans would, so not sure how that would relate to selling Mustang tuning kits or bolt ons.

But hey, Tickford aren't running a Mustang, which is why I commented, because you know, opinions, before being ridiculed.
no one ridiculed your opinions, they just disagreed with reasons. Please don't be precious

however people who want to buy porsche and bentleys can afford to buy really expensive boats and dock at expensive marinas, good synergy for Tony Longhurst.

Where as Tickford have anotehr outlet taht is more popular, without having to shell out $500,000 to run around at the back of the field
Old 8 Feb 2018, 07:50 (Ref:3799478)   #65
bludvl_x19
Veteran

Australia
umop apisdn
bludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridbludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridbludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridbludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umai Naa View Post
I'm all out of popcorn.
I've got some to spare.
Old 8 Feb 2018, 08:23 (Ref:3799479)   #66
Umai Naa
Veteran

Umai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridUmai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bludvl_x19 View Post
I've got some to spare.
Old 8 Feb 2018, 09:03 (Ref:3799484)   #67
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Quote:
Originally Posted by D.R.T. View Post
Agreed - the GT4 category was very enjoyable trackside at the event. It runs with GT3 all over the world and is seen as a likely replacement for GT3 down the road.

Look forward to GT4 being a part of the 12 Hour for many years to come.
I thought i would test this.

Gt4 only runs in the 2 of the 4 intercontinental championship races. The other 1 being Mazda 8 hour which is new and only had 20 or so entrants last year

It does not run in the Blancpain endurance or sprint series, instead it is on the card with them as support race.

However thanks, i was thinking the same as you, but obviously no more.

another reason to cut it from the 12 hour
Old 8 Feb 2018, 10:58 (Ref:3799506)   #68
one five five
Veteran

one five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridone five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Because its a beginner level Gt series. full of beginners who can get there bathurst rush at the 6 hour
A lot of the competitors in GT4 cars were more experienced than plenty of drivers in GT3 cars.

GT4 is not a beginner level GT series, it is just another GT series that caters to different types of cars. It would be like saying the 0-1600cc class of Group A was a beginners class, which it obviously wasn't.

Quote:
If you're into multi class racing and grid size matters, you could just get your Bathurst rush in April yes?

Sorry, that argument no longer cuts it as there is an alternative. And it has even more classes and bigger grids for those that think that way
Supercars themselves even stated last year the 12hr is a multi-class race. The fans have spoken many times saying they want it to remain a multi-class race. As mentioned you can get your small grid single class fix in October.

Most of the safety cars were caused by GT3 cars anyway, it wouldn't cut down the safety cars by very much.

Quote:
Gt4 only runs in the 2 of the 4 intercontinental championship races. The other 1 being Mazda 8 hour which is new and only had 20 or so entrants last year

It does not run in the Blancpain endurance or sprint series, instead it is on the card with them as support race.
The Intercontinental GT Challenge is not a Championship. It is an award that is attached to already established events to link a bit of extra interest to the GT3 part of the race.

The organisers of the title have never, publically at least, called for any of the IGTC races to be GT3 only. Spa is only GT3-only because it's a round of the GT3-only Blancpain Endurance Series.
Old 8 Feb 2018, 14:28 (Ref:3799572)   #69
JorritVD
Veteran

Netherlands
Netherlands
JorritVD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The IGTC is more than an award imo. They also call out Manufacturer and Driver champions. It almost could be a World Championship with these amount of brands end visits to different continents.
Old 8 Feb 2018, 19:07 (Ref:3799658)   #70
rich07
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JorritVD View Post
The IGTC is more than an award imo. They also call out Manufacturer and Driver champions. It almost could be a World Championship with these amount of brands end visits to different continents.

I gotta agree on this point. It’s Ratels way of having a ‘World Championship’ again without the expense of having the same team do every (or most) event although I don’t think Bentley got the memo on that haha. The IGTC appears to be aimed more at the manufacturers rather then individual team glory though.
Old 8 Feb 2018, 20:44 (Ref:3799688)   #71
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Quote:
Originally Posted by one five five View Post
A lot of the competitors in GT4 cars were more experienced than plenty of drivers in GT3 cars.

GT4 is not a beginner level GT series, it is just another GT series that caters to different types of cars. It would be like saying the 0-1600cc class of Group A was a beginners class, which it obviously wasn't.

Supercars themselves even stated last year the 12hr is a multi-class race. The fans have spoken many times saying they want it to remain a multi-class race. As mentioned you can get your small grid single class fix in October.

Most of the safety cars were caused by GT3 cars anyway, it wouldn't cut down the safety cars by very much.

The Intercontinental GT Challenge is not a Championship. It is an award that is attached to already established events to link a bit of extra interest to the GT3 part of the race.

The organisers of the title have never, publically at least, called for any of the IGTC races to be GT3 only. Spa is only GT3-only because it's a round of the GT3-only Blancpain Endurance Series.
They are lovely words. But all those lovely words provide no support for keeping Gt4.
Old 8 Feb 2018, 21:50 (Ref:3799702)   #72
Axeman444
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
however people who want to buy porsche and bentleys can afford to buy really expensive boats and dock at expensive marinas, good synergy for Tony Longhurst.
But I thought you said no one watched GT4?
Old 8 Feb 2018, 22:01 (Ref:3799703)   #73
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Quote:
But I thought you said no one watched GT4?
Seriously? Petty little snipes of a conversation.

you have your answer, nothing has changed. There is no debate. Tickford dont run a mustang gt4.
Old 8 Feb 2018, 23:04 (Ref:3799719)   #74
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
I thought i would test this.

However thanks, i was thinking the same as you, but obviously no more.

another reason to cut it from the 12 hour
So 50% of the Intercontinental Championship races. GT4 also run in British GT, Nurburgring 24, Dubai 24 Hour, COTA 24 HR, Portimao 24 Hr, Barcelona 24Hr, SPA 12 Hour, Imola 12 Hour etc.

GT4 is relevant and vital for the future of the Bathurst 12 Hour.
Old 8 Feb 2018, 23:14 (Ref:3799722)   #75
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Quote:
Originally Posted by D.R.T. View Post
So 50% of the Intercontinental Championship races. GT4 also run in British GT, Nurburgring 24, Dubai 24 Hour, COTA 24 HR, Portimao 24 Hr, Barcelona 24Hr, SPA 12 Hour, Imola 12 Hour etc.

GT4 is relevant and vital for the future of the Bathurst 12 Hour.
so we both have events where it runs and it doesnt. thus its is not compulsory

Can you explain why it is vital to future of the 12 hour? you didnt give any real reasoning.

It ceratinaly has no history of being vital to the 12 hour. Just 2 years ago (2016 race) there was no Gt4 Class running