Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Motorsport History

Old 27 Oct 2018, 08:02 (Ref:3859402)   #1
Jon64
Rookie

Jon64 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Formula Vee Monza, 1969

n the midst of reading Erich Breinsberg's personal account of his days racing for Kurt Bergmann's Kaimann team, "Der Niki, Der Keke Und Das Genie Aus Der Vorstadt" I came across this reference to an FVee race in Monza in September 1969, which was apparently won by Lauda. I didn't know there had been such a race and there's no reference in the usual sources to Lauda ever being there, so I am intrigued. Roughly translated, this is what the Breinsberg book says:

In mid-September, a comparison of the national formulas took place in Monza at the invitation of the Italian Automobile Club. Niki urgently needed to get to know the Formula 1 race track, I had taken off for a weekend. Kurt drove with Niki in the car to Monza. Niki was eager with anticipation, he was proud of a new speed pilot (???), a kind of stop-watch wonder, which could also count. Italy did not have the best reputation. In the hotel he insisted on a room overlooking the parking lot of his car. Before sleeping, the world was fine. Car plus accessories were well. The first glance in the morning things were no longer so good. At least the car was still there. The speed pilot had gone. The race itself was a rather simple exercise for Niki. He won untroubled from the German Christian Dietrich and the Liechtensteiner Manfred Schurti, all driving Kaimanns. This was the first of many great successes for Niki in Monza. Who could have guessed that at the time?

Can anyone cast any light on this meeting, or better still have a copy of the race report?