Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 8 Apr 2005, 15:28 (Ref:1273397)   #76
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsg

Bahrain was never a podium opportunity because the Williams were too slow, mainly because of the heat.

Ok, Bahrain was hotter than Sepang, but Sepang was mighty hot also. Surely Williams had as much chance of a podium at Bahrain as they did in Sepang?

Mark going off the circuit also reduces the possibility of a podium too.
Old 8 Apr 2005, 15:57 (Ref:1273424)   #77
mixxer
Veteran

Australia
Somewhere over the rainbow
mixxer has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
We still going on about the sepang incident ?
Somebody plllllleeeeeaaaaaasssssseeee remind me just who it was that the stewards reprimanded after the Sepang incident, Webber or Fisi ?

That will refresh my memory of who was actually at fault rather than relying on who the TV commonpotato felt was at fault
Old 8 Apr 2005, 16:07 (Ref:1273436)   #78
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
All stewards decisions are up for questioning on 10 Tenths. That incident was very interesting racing wise, but you are right discussion is spolit by those who can't see past who was involved in it.
Old 8 Apr 2005, 17:10 (Ref:1273479)   #79
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Clearly a time to apply Wrex's test:

Would opinions on this incident have been different if Webber had been the one on the inside and slid into Fisichella?
Old 8 Apr 2005, 17:30 (Ref:1273494)   #80
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I think Mark lost positions due to the off at Bahrain, although the car didn't seem fast enough for 3rd on the day, McLaren certainly had a better raceday car underneath them, perhaps backing up KB's theory that they're not hard enough on the tyres.

Just to reiterate - Mark is too good a driver to never reach the podium, and the package he was this season should be good enough. Whatever the circusmtances, he's got within touching distance 3 times in 3 - eventually one of those races falls the rght way for you,a dn so often teh floodgates open.
Old 8 Apr 2005, 17:32 (Ref:1273497)   #81
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by BootsOntheSide
, McLaren certainly had a better raceday car underneath them, perhaps backing up KB's theory that they're not hard enough on the tyres.

It's Ron Dennis, Adrian Newey, Matin Whitmarsh, Kimi Raikkonen and Pedro de la Rosa's theory, rather than mine.
Old 8 Apr 2005, 18:26 (Ref:1273539)   #82
mixxer
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
Would opinions on this incident have been different if Webber had been the one on the inside and slid into Fisichella?
IMO honestly no, I would have defended Fisi if Webber dive bombed him.
Old 8 Apr 2005, 18:45 (Ref:1273556)   #83
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kicking-back

Not from here.
Old 8 Apr 2005, 18:56 (Ref:1273572)   #84
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Not from here either.....both were guilty of major misjudgement.
Old 8 Apr 2005, 18:59 (Ref:1273574)   #85
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Its a no brainer. Winning a Stewards enquiry or getting your first podium.

Easy really.
Old 8 Apr 2005, 19:01 (Ref:1273579)   #86
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Or is it.....
Old 9 Apr 2005, 07:43 (Ref:1273819)   #87
dsg
Veteran

Thailand
Chonburi
dsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:

No, because a driver who loses control of his car whilst attempting a pass is the one at fault.
Old 9 Apr 2005, 07:55 (Ref:1273823)   #88
dsg
Veteran

Thailand
Chonburi
dsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett
Its a no brainer. Winning a Stewards enquiry or getting your first podium.

Easy really.
You can't say that because if Mark had of allowed Fisi to slide by on that corner, Fisi wouldn't have driven into him on the next corner or the one after that or in two laps time etc.

Hindsight is one thing but gazing into the crystal ball for answers is something entirely different.
Old 9 Apr 2005, 08:04 (Ref:1273828)   #89
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsg
You can't say that because if Mark had of allowed Fisi to slide by on that corner, Fisi wouldn't have driven into him on the next corner or the one after that or in two laps time etc.

Hindsight is one thing but gazing into the crystal ball for answers is something entirely different.
I already have said it.

And if he'd overtaken on the inside at another corner he wouldn't have been in a postion to get hit as he had done when Ralf tried to take him at exactly the same corner. That isn't hindsight its common sense.

However I'm not saying Mark isn't capable I just think he's put himself under a bit of pressure so please don't be defensive.
Old 9 Apr 2005, 08:30 (Ref:1273831)   #90
alfasud
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland, New Zealand
alfasud should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think that some people have lost sight of the topic.... which is about Webber getting a podium, not a rehash of the who was right and who was wrong at Sepang thread.

Quote:
I suspect that I would be likely to say that neither driver followed the best strategy for getting a podium.

Mark has been somewhat unlucky in some respects.... with hindsight maybe not agressive enough at Melbourne... although as already pointed out, he was breifly ahead of DC at one point, possible too eager at Sepang and it doesn't help if you go off the road at Bahrain although the car wasn't quite on the pace either.

Given that I don't see evidence for Mark being a worse driver than Heidfeld he should get there. The problem for Mark could be that the first three races might have been his best chance.... the Toyota is getting better, McLaren are starting to get it right and we've seen speed from the F2005. Imagine if Ferrari can get the reliabiliy and Bridgestone can provide a competitive tyre... back to regular Ferrari 1-2 finishes maybe?

On the other hand, Williams could make major advances and we might see a string of Webber and Heidfeld podiums and wins.

My guess.... he has about a 50:50 chance of a podium by the end of the year... I won't be shocked either way.

Last edited by alfasud; 9 Apr 2005 at 08:32.
Old 9 Apr 2005, 08:35 (Ref:1273832)   #91
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Quote:
Originally Posted by alfasud
I think that some people have lost sight of the topic.... which is about Webber getting a podium, not a rehash of the who was right and who was wrong at Sepang thread.
Misinterpretation there. Incidents like that are pertinent to whether we think he'll be successful. OTOH some suggest the he's just unlucky not to have finished on the podium already.
Old 9 Apr 2005, 08:57 (Ref:1273841)   #92
alfasud
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland, New Zealand
alfasud should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett
Misinterpretation there. Incidents like that are pertinent to whether we think he'll be successful. OTOH some suggest the he's just unlucky not to have finished on the podium already.
I think we are actually in agreement Peter.... some people in this thread were looking at the Sepang incident in terms of who was "right" or "wrong", with only one possible answer.

While I was suggesting that according to the tread topic, that regardless of who we think might have been in the wrong, we should be judging it on the basis of whether it demonstrated the correct approach for someone who is chasing a podium. In some respects he's unlucky.... but over the course of a season you tend make your own luck (within the limits of the car at least).

Last edited by alfasud; 9 Apr 2005 at 08:59. Reason: usual typos!
Old 9 Apr 2005, 09:02 (Ref:1273846)   #93
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Ah, apologies. Yes agree with you entirely.
Old 9 Apr 2005, 13:17 (Ref:1273976)   #94
Glen
Veteran

Glen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by alfasud
My guess.... he has about a 50:50 chance of a podium by the end of the year... I won't be shocked either way.
Eh? 50:50 by the end of the year? The odds on a Webber podium are nearly that EACH RACE. There are sixteen races to go! I'd say that even-money for a Webber WIN this season is not very good odds - for a podium it is lunacy. There is categorically NO WAY that Webber will fail to score a podium this year. Believe me. Or not, if you prefer to take the crazy role.
Old 10 Apr 2005, 03:10 (Ref:1274372)   #95
Airhead
Veteran

Airhead should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAirhead should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Yes he is sure to get a podium - and depending on circumstances may get a win in a race where there is high attrition.
Old 10 Apr 2005, 04:09 (Ref:1274386)   #96
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMoffat
Yes he is sure to get a podium - and depending on circumstances may get a win in a race where there is high attrition.
Only in the first cycle of a BMW engine I would suggest....
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 10 Apr 2005, 06:30 (Ref:1274415)   #97
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Moff! Welcome back.

Its interesting to me that there is almost the same amount of disappointment in this thread (from supporters and let's say interested observers) as there was with the lack of wins for JPM when he first arrived.

The thing with Mark is that he's been around for a while and there has been a tendency to use the "he can make a dog go better than anyone else" argument. Of course to date this season has demonstrated the opposite. He's been pretty well evenly matched by Nick over a race weekend.

And before we get into the "he was ahead before the off" arguments we must remember the old saw. To finish first first you have to finish.
Old 10 Apr 2005, 06:35 (Ref:1274418)   #98
mixxer
Veteran

Australia
On our local motorsport show they said Mark was disappointed with himself for going off at Bahrain, so the Bahrain incident was purely down to driver error.

Last edited by mixxer; 10 Apr 2005 at 06:36.
Old 10 Apr 2005, 14:01 (Ref:1274722)   #99
Wrex
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne - Home of the Australian GP
Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!
Good point Peter, so there will be no BS and excuses from you when Mark has the most points at seasons end then will there?
Old 10 Apr 2005, 15:14 (Ref:1274743)   #100
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
None at all. Which is why I said (and you conveniently avoided) "to date this season".