Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 9 Jul 2000, 15:51 (Ref:22281)   #1
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
After russell's little indiscretion at ipswitch last weekend and his $10,000 fine I was amazed to hear his comments during the week about the other drivered in the crash Mike Imrie..firstly russell blamed the CAMS lisense system and that Imrie should not be on the track because he is too inexperienced..well ****** to that Ingall..what a load of rubbish ..Imrie has been racing for over 20 years and has a sports sedan title under his belt..geez I remember him racing a Saab at winton back in 91 and hes been in a V8 supercar for the last 3 years...thats how I felt during the week after hearing these comments by Russell but today after watching the V8 superstars show i have sort of changed my opinion ..firstly russell regrets what happened (allthough there was no apology) and then he said the first inteligent thing I have ever heard him say..he claims that the level 1 teams should be helping the privateers and it is up to the senior drivers of the class to chat to these guys and let them know how V8 supercar works and what is expected of them..which i believe is an excellent idea..have some respect for the privateers and they will have some for you on the track otherwise more accidents like this are going to happen because why should they move over for him when all he does is slag him off in public ..therefore the backmarker will think.."well if i hold him up for 3 corners thats gotta **** him off"

also the lisense system..im not sure exactly what they were talking about but from what i could gather they want to stop the average bloke who has a few years racin under there belts from driving in V8 supercar..i find this wrong as it is eliminating alot of competitors who want to get in and have a go..but at the same time I understand that the series is professional and all cars need to be close to the same pace..but not everyone can afford $3 million a year to run one of these cars and have to settle for a budget of $50 grand or less and they do a great job with the limited resources they have got..i guess the future of the sport is there and we have to wait and see.

any thoughts on any of this ???
Old 10 Jul 2000, 05:36 (Ref:22358)   #2
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Crash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCrash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Yes there should be an overhaul of the system...they should have rubbed Ingall out for a very long time...What a dick head, you dont go punting people off, especially after the finish, especially in a straight line, especially at that speed...

Imrie is far from the worst driver out there...but the licensing system does suck. There is onw driver i know, who to get his license to go V8 racing, did the last 3 signitures on his license driving a HQ holden around the (last 3) back of the pack. How could he possibly be qualified?? (ok, he was a lot quicker and skilled than that...but still). I could go out there and do 5 race meetings in the slowest Datsun 180B in the world, spend 8 hours flag marshaling, then go and race a V8...thats where there is a problem...
Old 10 Jul 2000, 12:39 (Ref:22389)   #3
elephino
Veteran

elephino should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridelephino should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
There is a system? You drive for some races a year and you've just about qualified.

Imrie knew what he was doing. He was doing his best to keep out the way. He knows to let the quicker cars through, he was trying to find the most appropriate time. It is still up to the car behind to get around, even if lapping.
Old 12 Jul 2000, 19:03 (Ref:22817)   #4
Danielsun
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
Danielsun should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Is Russell Rusty?

Quote:
Originally posted by elephino
Imrie knew what he was doing. He was doing his best to keep out the way. He knows to let the quicker cars through, he was trying to find the most appropriate time. It is still up to the car behind to get around, even if lapping.
And that, my friends, just about sums it all up. Although of course I haven't seen any footage of the incident or the moments leading up to it, but from what I gather, Ingall caught Imrie at Turn Four. At QR, Turn 4 is a rather tight little number that leads straight into 5, the whole of which there is one line and one line only through (in the V8s - we're not talking club racing here!!).

For Russell to have expected Imrie to move over there is absolutely bloody ridiculous, I'm afraid. Unless you expect the driver being overtaken to move off the track totally, there is no way to pass there. We've all seen what can happen there: witness Mike Downard in the Super Tourers last season. Not the place to pass anybody, let alone cleanly lap them.

Oh, punting someone off after the finish ain't a good thing either...