Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > A1GP

Old 15 Apr 2008, 14:40 (Ref:2178093)   #1
Kiwi3
Veteran

New Zealand
Beijing
Kiwi3 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridKiwi3 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Future venues

This doesn't really belong in the season 4 thread, not sure if I should call it season 5!

I was told in Shanghai that part of the plans of the new Korean franchise is to build a circuit in Korea to host a round of the series. Now idea when that would be, who knows maybe even season 6 or whatever. The Ferrari deal is until 2014 so there is plenty of room for long term planning.

Narain Karthikeyan has said in an interview that the plan is for an India race in 2009-2010. Not enough time for the coming season then but 2009-2010 would mean A1GP beating F1 to India by a few months. I wonder if that might strike political issues though considering that Vijay Mallya is a member of Indian parliament!
Old 15 Apr 2008, 15:24 (Ref:2178122)   #2
Ryan
Rookie

United States
Wisconsin
Ryan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What ever happened to the track in Ansan where Champ Car was supposed to be racing at? I remember seeing pictures of it. It was almost completed. Couldn't A1GP race there instead of building a new track?
Old 17 Apr 2008, 01:51 (Ref:2179417)   #3
jackschmidt
Racer

jackschmidt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I hope to have a German round in the future that runs around the full configuration of the Nordschleife (Nuerburgring). 9 minute lap times, woohoo!

In a moment of seriousness, I think we should be expecting something like Dubai or Bahrain very soon. Well, at least I hope.
Old 17 Apr 2008, 07:47 (Ref:2179540)   #4
johntt
Veteran

England
England
johntt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I reckon that they'll race at the F1 tracks being built in Korea and India. For a middle eastern round what about the track at Abu Dhabi? Looks a lot more interesting than Bahrain.
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit.' And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." -Ayrton Senna
Old 17 Apr 2008, 11:06 (Ref:2179708)   #5
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by johntt
I reckon that they'll race at the F1 tracks being built in Korea and India. For a middle eastern round what about the track at Abu Dhabi? Looks a lot more interesting than Bahrain.
Given Ferrari's new influence on A1GP and the fact that the Adu Dhabi circuit is being built as part of/close too a Ferrari World complex. I think that could be a very good shout.
Old 17 Apr 2008, 11:44 (Ref:2179733)   #6
Kiwi3
Veteran

New Zealand
Beijing
Kiwi3 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridKiwi3 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
At the recent motorsport business forum in Bahrain Tony Teixeira stated that they want to be back in the middle east within the next three years. Sounds like a sensible time frame to me.

There is also a growing awareness that being in the same cities as F1 is not the best idea (the Shanghai round is suffering from being in F1's shadow). I therefore suspect that India and Korean rounds will be at different venues to F1.
Old 17 Apr 2008, 11:51 (Ref:2179745)   #7
Last2LiftOff
Veteran

Canada
Six Jolly Fellowship Porters
Last2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackschmidt
In a moment of seriousness, I think we should be expecting something like Dubai or Bahrain very soon. Well, at least I hope.
Bahrain Jack? Now there's something you don't hear every day.
Old 17 Apr 2008, 12:31 (Ref:2179776)   #8
N.A-D.R
Veteran

Australia
Australia
N.A-D.R should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Alan Jones is very keen on moving the Eastern Creek race and bringing in the Surfers Paradise Track.
Old 18 Apr 2008, 02:07 (Ref:2180303)   #9
jackschmidt
Racer

jackschmidt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Last2LiftOff
Bahrain Jack? Now there's something you don't hear every day.
Oh it's just stuff that you hear in the ether. Rumours with no actual substantial evidence... only stuff extrapolated from Toni's words.
Old 18 Apr 2008, 02:43 (Ref:2180310)   #10
cptkablamo
Veteran

Australia
cptkablamo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcptkablamo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I doubt Australia will keep their round, in any case unless that $430 (?) million goes ahead, A1 won't be at Surfers...But I do think they should take it to WA. Afterall they get little motorracing over there...Oz's spot might be a good spot for Korea though...
Old 18 Apr 2008, 03:35 (Ref:2180323)   #11
Kiwi3
Veteran

New Zealand
Beijing
Australia is a toughie. I get the impression that not many people there are watching it, and it does not seem to have achieved anywhere near the profile it has in NZ. A1GP will need to consider whether the Australian market is important or not.

If it is, there don't seem to be any easy options. Eastern Creek only seems to be a moderate success. The IRL seemed to move very quickly to protect Surfers (wisely). There is Adelaide but that would mean second billing to the taxis, which is unacceptable. It would therefore need a new event in a market currently not served with any high profile motorsport events like Perth, or for something major to happen like the NSW govt. putting up a large wedge for a street circuit around Homebush or something.

One thing is clear is that A1GP has more interested parties than calender slots so the pressure is going to come on.