Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > A1GP

Old 16 Mar 2008, 17:56 (Ref:2153885)   #26
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
The sprint race has just finished, but I won't post the results because here in the UK the race is shown delayed on TV, just before the feature race.

If, like me, you can't wait that long, you should find the results here.

I only caught the last couple of laps, but one thing I did notice, before they started displaying Final Lap, was that about half a dozen teams were under investigation. Oh dear, here we go again...
Old 16 Mar 2008, 18:04 (Ref:2153893)   #27
Last2LiftOff
Veteran

Canada
Six Jolly Fellowship Porters
Last2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Of course you're right about the marshals Strider, no contest. Could've been more fun watching Wickens try to make his way up from the back anyway, and Canada's not even a contender so, they needn't have done us any favours really.

The Sprint race is done but I'm sure the telecast is tape-delayed over there as usual.

Edit: yeah, what he said.
Old 16 Mar 2008, 20:42 (Ref:2154091)   #28
cos
Veteran

England
cos should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Not sure what Zaugg was playing at for that first Sprint race start. Still, it meant everyone else didn't have to suffer the Hammermuller.
Old 16 Mar 2008, 20:52 (Ref:2154101)   #29
NAC
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland, New Zealand
NAC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridNAC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just saw the sprint replay on A1 site, yea we dont get them on TV untill 11.15pm tonight (it's now 10.00am), All I have to say on the Sprint is

Jonny ----------------------you little ripper

Almost as good as Hamilton's performance a couple of hours ago

BTW strider - was not taken personally

Last edited by NAC; 16 Mar 2008 at 20:55.
Old 16 Mar 2008, 21:14 (Ref:2154120)   #30
Hazard
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
Hazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridHazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridHazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Very bad Zaugg in the sprint...he was suitably punished with tyre failure later though.

Feature start has been delayed, so the race distance has been reduced.
Old 16 Mar 2008, 21:23 (Ref:2154126)   #31
NAC
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland, New Zealand
NAC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridNAC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yea I put that sprint start cock up to Zaugg also
Old 16 Mar 2008, 21:34 (Ref:2154138)   #32
cos
Veteran

England
Oh dear, that pit stop sequence really didn't go NZL's way at all... nudging GBR in pit lane, then not sure when to leave the box...
Old 16 Mar 2008, 22:18 (Ref:2154169)   #33
cos
Veteran

England
Ireland have got this in the bag now surely! Early St Patrick's day celebrations for them...!
Old 16 Mar 2008, 22:21 (Ref:2154171)   #34
woodster
Rookie

Ireland
Dublin 24.
woodster should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
come on Ireland, please!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 16 Mar 2008, 22:26 (Ref:2154177)   #35
woodster
Rookie

Ireland
Dublin 24.
woodster should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Whoooo, brilliant and on Paddy's weekend too.

Im going out for Guinness

Come on Ireland
Old 16 Mar 2008, 22:27 (Ref:2154178)   #36
cos
Veteran

England
Fantastic stuff by Ireland, made easier by Jani's drive-through but I reckon he would have held him off to the end regardless. Excellent racing between Jarvis and Summerton right to the end as well.
Old 16 Mar 2008, 22:27 (Ref:2154179)   #37
NAC
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland, New Zealand
Happy St Patricks day (yes it's St Patricks day here in NZ already) Well done Carrol.

NZ's saving grace - Swiss and France no points either
Old 16 Mar 2008, 22:31 (Ref:2154181)   #38
cos
Veteran

England
I'm sure that's not an official A1GP cap Adam's wearing on the podium...
Old 16 Mar 2008, 22:35 (Ref:2154184)   #39
Point-5
Racer

Ireland
Ireland
Point-5 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Good job Sky Sports... no footage from celebrations

Great job by the Ireland team
Old 16 Mar 2008, 22:47 (Ref:2154204)   #40
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
Excuse me for a moment...

I am so pleased for Adam Carroll and Team Ireland. I have been hoping and expecting that this would happen ever since Adam came on board. It's taken a while...

I will even forgive him for denying Olly Jarvis a repeat of his win last year. All the same, it was a great final showing by Olly on his last appearance in A1GP this year I thought his move on Rob Wickens in the feature race was outstanding and I liked the way he and others were able to race hard but sensibly today.

In fact, it may be personal bias, but I thought it was one of the best A1GP races I have seen. Apart from the new 'improvements', Mexico is a great classic circuit and that leads to proper racing.
Old 16 Mar 2008, 22:56 (Ref:2154210)   #41
Charlies
Racer

United Kingdom
Nottingham
Charlies should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'll second that Strider. Finally Carroll gets the success he deserves. He's been there or thereabouts all weekend; let's hope it continues in China and at Brands Hatch.

Both races were quite good after they got going. I have to agree with Jarvis that Zaugg should have been penalised for the sprint race start. The move Jarvis made on Wickens was unquestionably the best of either race.

The only negative part was Sky ending the programme without showing the podium celebration or interviews that, for once, I really wanted to see.

Last edited by Charlies; 16 Mar 2008 at 22:59.
Old 17 Mar 2008, 01:11 (Ref:2154282)   #42
jackschmidt
Racer

jackschmidt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have a few thoughts about the feature race.

1. I'm fine Neel got penalized for the pitlane antics, but I felt it should have come a lot earlier. Neel's post-race outbursts I think are a bit out of line because I really did think he was very close to the work area of the pits in general, and he might seriously injure somebody trying to go parallel with Adam.
2. Wicken's pole time should have been disallowed, I think.
3. I had high hopes for Canada because Wickens seems to be a genuinely quick driver. That didn't happen here.
4. I think it's about time A1GP and the commentary box took the time and start educating fans, and viewers on rules and regulations. I'm fine that some penalties were harsher than they were in the previous races, but I think it's about time we get things clear on what's not allowed and what is, so we don't get confused.
Old 17 Mar 2008, 11:49 (Ref:2154590)   #43
Last2LiftOff
Veteran

Canada
Six Jolly Fellowship Porters
Last2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
A solid drive there from Adam Carroll, congratulations Ireland. I thought Jonathan Summerton was impressive, again, this weekend as was Jarvis (doesn't he ever put a wheel wrong?) and Jonny Reid, even though it didn't end well for NZ. Not sure how the championship finishes-up after all that, but status quo until the next round it sounds like.

As if the Irish needed another excuse today. Well done.
Old 18 Mar 2008, 02:39 (Ref:2155287)   #44
Kiwi3
Veteran

New Zealand
Beijing
Kiwi3 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridKiwi3 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think SUI are now 15 points ahead of NZL with FRA another five points back.

I am not sure about the Sprint race start incident. It is up to the pole sitter to set the pace, and Zaugg swears he didn't brake. Surely the stewards would have access to the telemetry data on that and they didn't penalise him. A1GP stewards decisions do not always make sense however, such as allowing Canada's pole to stand.

I did agree with the SUI penalty, he drove very close to another pit crew who were changing tires, if one of the mechanics had stepped backwards while Jani was approaching he would have been toast.

Surprised to see Ammermuller involved in an incident with Canda. I guess that must have been Wickens' fault. I hope Weber keeps Ammermuller in the car as he seems a very sporting bloke and has just had a lot of bad luck with other drivers reversing into him, such as at Sepang and Durban .

Great job by Team Ireland, after their horror season last year and a disappointing one so far this year it is terrific to see one of the most enthusiastic teams in the pit lane finally get a win.
Old 19 Mar 2008, 00:36 (Ref:2156105)   #45
jackschmidt
Racer

jackschmidt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwi3
Surprised to see Ammermuller involved in an incident with Canda. I guess that must have been Wickens' fault. I hope Weber keeps Ammermuller in the car as he seems a very sporting bloke and has just had a lot of bad luck with other drivers reversing into him, such as at Sepang and Durban .
As far as I can tell, he started it first. And he wears glasses, sooo...
Old 19 Mar 2008, 01:10 (Ref:2156126)   #46
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwi3:
I am not sure about the Sprint race start incident. It is up to the pole sitter to set the pace, and Zaugg swears he didn't brake. Surely the stewards would have access to the telemetry data on that and they didn't penalise him. A1GP stewards decisions do not always make sense however, such as allowing Canada's pole to stand.
He wouldn't necessarily have to brake. Just getting on and off the throttle would do it. So Zaugg may have been telling the truth, but not the whole truth. I'm in no doubt that he was the guilty party.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwi3:
I did agree with the SUI penalty, he drove very close to another pit crew who were changing tires, if one of the mechanics had stepped backwards while Jani was approaching he would have been toast.
Absolutely. As far as I know the way it works is that the outside lane is regarded as part of the race track, so that's where you go when you've finished your pitstop. The inside lane is where the work is done and the middle lane is kind of a buffer for exactly that, safety reasons.