Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > North American Racing

Old 29 Jan 2019, 14:59 (Ref:3880434)   #1326
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaskedRacer View Post
I agree it should be moved up by a week to be closer with NASCAR speedweeks. Doubt any of us cares much about american football. I don't see the conflict myself. Having it a week later gives us a few more minutes of daylight racing too.
It's not the matter of fans not caring, although I'd posit many of the at the track fans would not be there Super Bowl weekend, it's the upper management guys with the big fat checks won't be there. If you think anyone from GM would be at the Rolex over the Super Bowl you're crazy. They spend a decent amount racing, they spend a TON more getting their cars in the NFL ads, last estimate was 5 million for a 30 second ad so I'm guessing more spent just next Sunday than the entire GM racing program. The Super Bowl week has hundreds of business meetings and mini conferences all week and is a time to wine and dine business contacts.

Plus, watch NBCSN's schedule this week and weekend. They aren't showing the game but I'll bet most of the days are football preview and talk related. The years they get the actual game? Sorry, the Rolex24 is NOT getting on TV that Sunday at all
Old 29 Jan 2019, 15:47 (Ref:3880447)   #1327
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
I agree it should be moved up by a week to be closer with NASCAR speedweeks. Doubt any of us cares much about american football. I don't see the conflict myself. Having it a week later gives us a few more minutes of daylight racing too.
Well, you're wrong.

And a grand total of 7 more minutes of daylight makes that big of a difference? Nah.

What's likely more debatable is the turnaround time to NASCAR speedweeks. They open for camping 11 days after the finish of the 24 (this year on Feb 7). I'm sure the employees at the world center of speed appreciate not having a mere 3 day to turnaround between the events. I don't know much about the prep work though.

And I still don't understand WTF big deal of week to another. More eyes are on the sport with Fernando and NOT big up against Super Bowl weekend. These are helpful facts that we should all be okay with.
Old 29 Jan 2019, 16:51 (Ref:3880460)   #1328
jimclark
Veteran

United States
Champion Porsche/Audi territory
jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!
'Don't wanna sound like I "know more than anyone" and 'not "living in the past", just some info, but the 24 was always the opening race (major, not inclusive of practice and undercard races Thurs. and Fri.) that started Speedweeks (2 of 'em...weeks that is...) from '75 when I started attending 'til mid-2000s when they changed it to 3 weekends before the 500. Because of Superbowl?....'have no clue.

(edit: oh goodness me. I am fallible.........my own curiosity got me fact checking and I see that sometimes it's two and four weekends ahead of the 500 now also.)

Last edited by jimclark; 29 Jan 2019 at 17:09.

jimclark
Old 29 Jan 2019, 19:54 (Ref:3880503)   #1329
gsmith2424
Veteran

United States
Maiden, North Carolina
gsmith2424 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeb View Post
DSC has an article about how IMSA made the decision to end the race early.

http://www.dailysportscar.com/2019/0...eavy-rain.html

The last bit I found interesting:

Was Raffauf saying that the Michelins caused more spray than the Conti's? I find it hard to believe the brand of tire made that much difference. There is spray because there is water, or am i missing something?
I think the point he was trying to make is that they were pushing more water which leads to more spray and lower visibility.
Old 29 Jan 2019, 20:35 (Ref:3880509)   #1330
MaskedRacer
Veteran

MaskedRacer User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Grasser, Land, and WRT all took the full time IMSA GTD teams to school on how to run GT3 endurance races. I don't think BoP was the best for the Lamborghini and Audi too.
Old 29 Jan 2019, 22:15 (Ref:3880519)   #1331
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Grasser, Land, and WRT all took the full time IMSA GTD teams to school on how to run GT3 endurance races. I don't think BoP was the best for the Lamborghini and Audi too.
How exactly was that? Other than the wave arounds that let Grasser make up 2 penalties? Not exactly GT3 endurance rules for the other series if I recall
Old 29 Jan 2019, 22:46 (Ref:3880524)   #1332
carbsmith
Veteran

carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadrun96 View Post
There are multiple studies to show nothing gets done after about 3 on "Super Sunday."
Luckily the race ends at 2:30

Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldodreams79 View Post
I despise the current nascar product as much as the next, but statements like this don't really boost any arguements for or against drainage improvement or make you seem classier because you hate nascar.
I think you're seeing what you want to on this one. Would you prefer the example of Texas Motor Speedway renovating the entire track after they had to postpone an IndyCar race months because it took literal days for the track to completely dry? I can't think of a situation where oval racing and road racing would have contradictory desires on this. Homestead does flood terribly too though.

You just have to think there's some sort of option besides a 24h race with what seems like about a 50/50 chance of 6 hours of red flag every year, but I guess if it isn't affecting the gate it doesn't matter.
Old 29 Jan 2019, 23:38 (Ref:3880532)   #1333
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by carbsmith View Post

This matters not and some will never understand, which I totally respect. Seriously.

Quote:

I think you're seeing what you want to on this one. Would you prefer the example of Texas Motor Speedway renovating the entire track after they had to postpone an IndyCar race months because it took literal days for the track to completely dry? I can't think of a situation where oval racing and road racing would have contradictory desires on this. Homestead does flood terribly too though.
Are you telling me french drains, the likes of which were installed at Texas might work? Maybe so. Those drains have to drain somehere which is the bigger issue.

And I never mentioned a distinction between speedway series and road racing series. Track drainage is track drainage so I pointed out there's no need to disparage another user of a facility to make some other point.

Quote:
You just have to think there's some sort of option besides a 24h race with what seems like about a 50/50 chance of 6 hours of red flag every year, but I guess if it isn't affecting the gate it doesn't matter.
50/50? When was the last red flag? 2004? Hardly 50/50 chance but it is Florida. I don't think you're escaping weather threats not matter what week you choose.
Old 29 Jan 2019, 23:43 (Ref:3880533)   #1334
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
Quote:
I'd challenge you to come here and find anything functioning as usual on Super Bowl Sunday. Hell they don't want us working for the city Thursday or Friday even, it is that big a deal and yes, the overlap is MUCH larger than you want to admit. Most years they exclude the NFL games from the ratings for TV, otherwise the top 50 plus events are NFL games and no one looks good. You can debate all you'd like it's not an event, but sorry it is and the facts show you're either delusional, argumentative or just flat obnoxious but either way you'd find the egg coating your face.
Old 30 Jan 2019, 00:02 (Ref:3880535)   #1335
carbsmith
Veteran

carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldodreams79 View Post
When was the last red flag? 2004?
2014 for the Gidley crash, last weather stoppage was 2007. My brain doesn't really differentiate actual red flags from 3 hour safety car periods though. '11 and '13 had massively long fog FCYs and '16 had tons for rain, at least, so that's at least 4 years with large weather interruptions in the last 9.

Quote:
I'd challenge you to come here and find anything functioning as usual on Super Bowl Sunday. Hell they don't want us working for the city Thursday or Friday even, it is that big a deal and yes, the overlap is MUCH larger than you want to admit. Most years they exclude the NFL games from the ratings for TV, otherwise the top 50 plus events are NFL games and no one looks good. You can debate all you'd like it's not an event, but sorry it is and the facts show you're either delusional, argumentative or just flat obnoxious but either way you'd find the egg coating your face.
Sorry do you need me to find a better smiley for you to not take that so seriously? I hadn't realized the date moved when the Super Bowl did, although I think it's worth considering whether they should have moved it a week later instead. Yeah yeah that ostensibly means delaying the start of the NASCAR season but they have awful early season weather with their current schedule anyways.
Old 30 Jan 2019, 00:42 (Ref:3880538)   #1336
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
Quote:
2014 for the Gidley crash, last weather stoppage was 2007. My brain doesn't really differentiate actual red flags from 3 hour safety car periods though. '11 and '13 had massively long fog FCYs and '16 had tons for rain, at least, so that's at least 4 years with large weather interruptions in the last 9.
Fair enough on "weather interuptions". Again, its Florida. Name a week when there's no possibility of a hurricane or some massive fire or torrential rains or 90 million degrees and 1000% humidity and I'll tell you you're in San Diego. Bill France should have built it out there!

Quote:
Sorry do you need me to find a better smiley for you to not take that so seriously?

Quote:
I hadn't realized the date moved when the Super Bowl did, although I think it's worth considering whether they should have moved it a week later instead. Yeah yeah that ostensibly means delaying the start of the NASCAR season but they have awful early season weather with their current schedule anyways.
Yeah, it's not moving unless they find a completely different time of year so it's not moving
Old 30 Jan 2019, 14:43 (Ref:3880680)   #1337
MaskedRacer
Veteran

MaskedRacer User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
I was surprised at the number of safety car periods in this race with just 47 cars. Even before the big storm by 5:00 am there were 11 of them.
Old 31 Jan 2019, 15:45 (Ref:3880921)   #1338
Deleted
Veteran

Deleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
I was surprised at the number of safety car periods in this race with just 47 cars. Even before the big storm by 5:00 am there were 11 of them.
Wasn't LMPC supposed to be the sole reason for caution occurence and reason why people preferred low sub-50 fields over near 70 or something

Someone even said LMP2's the new LMPC when one of the Orecas touched the grass and near wall in the wet, even though it was no different to what was happening elsewhere
Old 31 Jan 2019, 19:04 (Ref:3880962)   #1339
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Youve got to be kidding me, Land penalized post race and loses second place:

https://racer.com/2019/01/31/rolex-2...gtd-penalized/

They can't seem to run within the rules of IMSA
Old 31 Jan 2019, 20:09 (Ref:3880976)   #1340
Maelochs
Veteran

Maelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:

Wonder why they keep trying ... one of the best teams with the most good finishes and one of the worst records.

Also ... demoting the #63. Like watching the car ball itself up didn't hurt the team enough ....
Old 31 Jan 2019, 20:36 (Ref:3880980)   #1341
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
I'm thinking there won't be much more running from Land in IMSA after the last 2 24 Hours. It seems not to be their race, but they run well at the other events so who knows.
Old 1 Feb 2019, 01:36 (Ref:3881021)   #1342
Dyson Mazda
Veteran

United States
Charlotte, NC
Dyson Mazda should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDyson Mazda should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:

How did the 99 not get penalized for not meeting min drive times? They only ran 47 laps.
Old 1 Feb 2019, 01:42 (Ref:3881022)   #1343
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
I love reading the Racer comments especially after you get to recognizing posters. It's the worst kind of anger at the rules until it catches your guy then the rule makes are out to get <insert favorite driver here>.

Honestly I would have assumed any car not determined to be running, or had been withdrawn at the time they called the race would be excluded from the time penalty as they weren't running. But then the rule book isn't that short and there's probably a rule for every thing they could think of, and they likely missed things that actually happen
Old 1 Feb 2019, 13:37 (Ref:3881124)   #1344
skycafe
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Water on three sides
skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
I Honestly I would have assumed any car not determined to be running, or had been withdrawn at the time they called the race would be excluded from the time penalty as they weren't running. But then the rule book isn't that short and there's probably a rule for every thing they could think of, and they likely missed things that actually happen
I hope there will be some clarification of that. Could it be to ensure the drivers are rotated thru the car in the first and last half of the race (or some other percentage).
Old 3 Feb 2019, 12:29 (Ref:3881651)   #1345
Anyopenroad
Veteran

England
London
Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!
Two big albums of my wet and wonderful trip to Daytona.

Start to dusk: https://bit.ly/2UBHJtK
Night to finish: https://bit.ly/2Smv1Bn

Some caveats:

- I'm a fan with a camera, not an expert photographer
- I take a lot of photos, these are big albums!
- All pics are cropped and resized but otherwise unedited

The first album is a full 'circuit' of the spectator areas: pre-race and start from in the huge stand and then a walk around the infield, between 2pm and dusk at 6pm (plus some pics of the heritage laps earlier in the day).

The second album is that same 'circuit' after dark, to about 10pm, then from 5am until I bailed out, soaked to the skin, at about 11am.

In the very early hours between 5am and the first red flag just before dawn I was able to watch from a sheltered spot at the back of the lower tier of the stand just above turn one, watching car after car pirouette off.

When racing resumed I braved the infield, but it was very hard to take pictures. I was woefully under-dressed and had my camera wrapped in a towel borrowed from my hotel! The rain was driving right into the lens. But you will certainly get an accurate impression of the truly miserable conditions - the pictures taken at 10am are gloomy and dark, visibility was awful and there was a lot of water on the track. Oddly enough I have a lot more sympathy for the drivers having gone through these photos than I did at the time!

Next up, my first trip to Sebring :-)
Old 3 Feb 2019, 15:01 (Ref:3881662)   #1346
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anyopenroad View Post

Some caveats:

The first album is a full 'circuit' of the spectator areas: pre-race and start from in the huge stand and then a walk around the infield, between 2pm and dusk at 6pm (plus some pics of the heritage laps earlier in the day).

The second album is that same 'circuit' after dark, to about 10pm, then from 5am until I bailed out, soaked to the skin, at about 11am.

In the very early hours between 5am and the first red flag just before dawn I was able to watch from a sheltered spot at the back of the lower tier of the stand just above turn one, watching car after car pirouette off.

When racing resumed I braved the infield, but it was very hard to take pictures. I was woefully under-dressed and had my camera wrapped in a towel borrowed from my hotel! The rain was driving right into the lens. But you will certainly get an accurate impression of the truly miserable conditions - the pictures taken at 10am are gloomy and dark, visibility was awful and there was a lot of water on the track. Oddly enough I have a lot more sympathy for the drivers having gone through these photos than I did at the time!

I just thumbed through. Nicely done! Thx for sharing!
Old 3 Feb 2019, 15:17 (Ref:3881666)   #1347
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anyopenroad View Post

Some caveats:

Amazing photos.

Old 3 Feb 2019, 22:11 (Ref:3881750)   #1348
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Those cars look so good at night and in the wet. Thanks for sharing.
Old 3 Feb 2019, 22:26 (Ref:3881756)   #1349
Anyopenroad
Veteran

England
London
Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Those cars look so good at night and in the wet. Thanks for sharing.
My pleasure! Thanks all for the nice comments. These are now my two most viewed albums ever!

I don't mind a bit of rain - as well as mixing up the racing it makes for great photos, especially at night.

Last edited by Anyopenroad; 3 Feb 2019 at 22:45.
Old 4 Feb 2019, 12:26 (Ref:3881857)   #1350
Maelochs
Veteran

Maelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I haven't looked at all of them, but I agree with the rest. These are good photos and I have been enjoying looking through them.