Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Club Level Single Seaters

Old 20 Nov 2007, 13:06 (Ref:2071676)   #1
abrussich
Rookie

United States
Houston, Texas
abrussich should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Titan 4 poprt oil pump connections?

I have a 1.6L FF engine equipped with a Titan 4 port side mount oil pump for a dry sump system.
Does anyone have a connection diagram or description for this type of system?
Only vendor data I have found so far covers Titan 5 port pumps.
Please email me direct if you have any info for this type of system.
Much appreciated.

Al B.
Lotus type 61
Old 20 Nov 2007, 13:39 (Ref:2071706)   #2
Alan Raine
Veteran

England
Hale, Cheshire
Alan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by abrussich
I have a 1.6L FF engine equipped with a Titan 4 port side mount oil pump for a dry sump system.
Does anyone have a connection diagram or description for this type of system?
Only vendor data I have found so far covers Titan 5 port pumps.
Please email me direct if you have any info for this type of system.
Much appreciated.

Al B.
Lotus type 61
Is it one with a built in Filter?
Old 20 Nov 2007, 20:49 (Ref:2071985)   #3
abrussich
Rookie

United States
Houston, Texas
No sir. Filter is remote mounted. The pump is side mounted on a FF 1.6L block. One port is i.d'd as "in", another "out". I know the purpose of the lower port, just not clear on the upper one.

Thank you for your reply.

Al B.
Old 20 Nov 2007, 21:26 (Ref:2072005)   #4
Alan Raine
Veteran

England
Hale, Cheshire
Alan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Interesting. I've only seen a 4 port pump, about 30 odd years ago, on a Royale RP16, but it had a filter attached.

The 5th port on a 5 port pump basically takes the oil through the filter before it goes to the engine.

Is it not worth just buying a 5 port pump. They aren't that expensive and possibly more efficient.
Old 21 Nov 2007, 18:10 (Ref:2072666)   #5
kartingdad
Veteran

kartingdad has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Why not googlr for Titan and ask them. are you sure there are ot 5 outlets, one of them being a scavenge from the sump?
Old 23 Nov 2007, 16:16 (Ref:2074264)   #6
ffracer
Rookie

ffracer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
On the 4 port pumps I have seen the two unions closest to the block are the pressure side. The upper one takes oil feed from the tank, the lower one pumps oil under pressure to the block via the filter. The outboard unions are the scavenge side. The lower one takes oil from the sump pan and the upper one returns it to the tank via the oil cooler. It's possible your pump is different though.

The tricky bit is feeding the oil into the block. One way of achieving this is by machining the end of the main oil gallery at the front face of the block to take a pipe union. You have to be careful because there isn't much meat on the block there and it can result in the gallery wall failing with disastrous results. Happened to me once at Lydden...

Talking to Titan sounds like a good idea...
Old 23 Nov 2007, 18:09 (Ref:2074315)   #7
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
I have only used 4 port pumps for years for all my engines. Tapping the front of the gallery on the left hand side for the inlet via the filter (as most are) .
Easy to tell the scavenge from the pressure as the former is bigger.
Always run the oil cooler on the tank return not on the pressure side.
I've got two or three 5 porters laying about and could use them by just blanking off the inlet to the block.
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 23 Nov 2007, 19:37 (Ref:2074361)   #8
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Just to clear up any reason why I choose to run the oil into the opposite gallery, its because I use thick cylinder liners and you normally cut into the centre oil gallery when boring to fit them. Of course most of you old FF boys would know that !
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 26 Nov 2007, 21:23 (Ref:2076043)   #9
abrussich
Rookie

United States
Houston, Texas
Thank you to all who responded. Looks like the 4 port is going to be replaced with a 5. If the engine builder would have caught it during the rebuild he would have enlarged the 1/4" right side gallery to a 3/8" to allow for greater capacity oil flow. The connection point on the left gallery side is just to difficult to reach from the filter.
Live and learn.
Old 27 Nov 2007, 17:05 (Ref:2076639)   #10
dave lowe
Rookie

dave lowe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
61 oil pump

Shame you are using side mounted pump anyway as the 61 had front one as part of timing cover and I have the original lotus handbook that shows oil pump diagram .lowtis 61
Old 17 Mar 2008, 13:45 (Ref:2154678)   #11
Gungebucket
Rookie

United Kingdom
Cornwall, UK
Gungebucket should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It's all quite a long time ago now but ...... the only difference between a 4 port and a 5 port pump is that the 5 port has an additional port (the one at the top) that connects with the main oil gallery in the same way that the original car pump/filter assembly did. With a 4 port pump you have to find another route to feed the main oil gallery. There were also front-mounted pumps built into the front cover and driven off the front of the cam sprocket. One of the problems with the side-mounted pump was that it was driven off the camshaft by a skew gear. This tended to flex the camshaft and interfere with valve actuation. I don't know how much of the "old FF1600" knowledge remains but lots of it is coming back to me as I type. Set the oil pressure at 35 psi max at high revs. There may be only a few pounds at idle.... but that does not matter. As long as there is a maintained oil film there all is OK, the main job of the oil is to cool, and oil flow is more important than oil pressure per se. Also used to hide a restrictor in a rocker post to restrict oil flow to the rocker assembly... avoids too much oil fighting its way down past the crank/rod area. Anyone want a classic FF1600 engine built? Still got a few bits and, hey, my engines used to win!!