Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > 24 Heures du Mans

View Poll Results: Do you agree with the current noise rule ?
Yes, I agree. 19 54.29%
No, I do not agree. 16 45.71%
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Old 17 Nov 2008, 16:56 (Ref:2336463)   #1
the menace
Rookie

England
Ardingly West Sussex
the menace should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Noise reduction at Le Mans 24 hour

After reading the new rules published by the ACO, I was shocked to see that the noise levels are to be reduced. The maximum level will be reduced from 113 dB to 110 dB. This concerns me very much as the level and diversity of the sounds of the race engines are a huge part of the magic of Lemans. Obviously the cars must be quick but if they are all as quiet as the current crop of Diesel racers the Lemans experience will be dulled to the point that it could turn people away from the gates. I don't see the relevance of noise reduction in motor sport. I'd like to hear your views
Old 17 Nov 2008, 17:19 (Ref:2336475)   #2
johntt
Veteran

England
England
johntt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by the menace
After reading the new rules published by the ACO, I was shocked to see that the noise levels are to be reduced.

The maximum level will be reduced from 113 dB to 110 dB. This concerns me very much as the level and diversity of the sounds of the race engines are a huge part of the magic of Lemans.

Obviously the cars must be quick but if they are all as quiet as the current crop of Diesel racers the Lemans experience will be dulled to the point that it could turn people away from the gates.

I don't see the relevance of noise reduction in motor sport. I'd like to hear your views
Its only 3db, the change in noise level will be imperceptible. Its true that if all the cars were silent then people would turn away, and the ACO will be well aware of this. A V8 will sound like a V8 and a V10 will sound like a V10 whatever the Db within reason.

As has been pointed out by others, the IMSA GTP cars had a much lower noise limit than we have now, and even then they struggled to reach the limit (I have heard a funny anecdote of James Weaver driving over the noise detector to get a high reading), and yet people look back on the IMSA GTP days with very fond memories.

Noise reduction has some relevence, the way i see it, it needs to be about quality of noise rather than quantity.

For example, the Cosworth turbos used in CART/Champ Car sounded brilliant but weren't overly loud, meanwhile the IRL Honda engine sounds awful and is incredibly loud.

For Le Mans the cars could run quite loudly but these cars have to run at other places as well. Cranking the cars up for Le Mans would come across as a bit disrepectful and arrogant and cause complaints from the locals, and we all know the power of stupid people/NIMBYs in large groups.
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit.' And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." -Ayrton Senna
Old 17 Nov 2008, 18:37 (Ref:2336516)   #3
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
After reading the new rules published by the ACO, I was shocked to see that the noise levels are to be reduced. The maximum level will be reduced from 113 dB to 110 dB. This concerns me very much as the level and diversity of the sounds of the race engines are a huge part of the magic of Lemans. Obviously the cars must be quick but if they are all as quiet as the current crop of Diesel racers the Lemans experience will be dulled to the point that it could turn people away from the gates. I don't see the relevance of noise reduction in motor sport. I'd like to hear your views
That is exactly my view menace ..... what a thread to open up your first post .

I think its a bloody shame , the noise is part of the whole act .

Bring it on I say !!!
Old 17 Nov 2008, 18:42 (Ref:2336518)   #4
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by johntt
Its only 3db
Only 3 db ..... this year !!! ..... whats the plan for the future ?

You can only take so much away before it begins to loose its charm ..... and it is , slowly , and obviously Im not the only one who thinks so .

It would be interesting to add a pole to this thread .

No quad rotor , no more wild screaming Judd GV4 or a Ferrari 333SP V12 .

Is that REALLY ok with you ?
Old 17 Nov 2008, 18:53 (Ref:2336527)   #5
AU N EGL
Veteran

United States
Raleigh, North Carolina
AU N EGL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAU N EGL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It should be a minimum of 100 dbs too. Get some NOISE into those diesels
Old 17 Nov 2008, 19:25 (Ref:2336552)   #6
johntt
Veteran

England
England

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Badger

You can only take so much away before it begins to loose its charm ..... and it is , slowly , and obviously Im not the only one who thinks so .

It would be interesting to add a pole to this thread .

No quad rotor , no more wild screaming Judd GV4 or a Ferrari 333SP V12 .

Is that REALLY ok with you ?
Would you like to try reading the rest of my post?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Au N EGL
Agree with a minimum noise for petrol engines, but for diesels it would conflict with what Audi and Pug are trying to do in terms of marketing their diesel road cars. On balance its better that the diesels are quiet as diesel engines don't sound all that appealing at full chat.

Last edited by johntt; 17 Nov 2008 at 19:28.
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit.' And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." -Ayrton Senna
Old 17 Nov 2008, 19:34 (Ref:2336557)   #7
GT2-R
Racer

GT2-R should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Its only 3db.
The dB is a logarithmic scale . In fact -3dB = 1000 times less intensity of the noise. The difference between 60 and 63 dB f.e. is negligible for human beings but the difference between 110 and 113 dB really matters. 110 dB is still a lot of noise for most people who aren't familiar with racing but I hope the limit will stay at 113 dB!
Old 17 Nov 2008, 19:56 (Ref:2336567)   #8
Cuttlefish
Racer

United States
Seattle, WA
Cuttlefish should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GT2-R
The dB is a logarithmic scale . In fact -3dB = 1000 times less intensity of the noise. The difference between 60 and 63 dB f.e. is negligible for human beings but the difference between 110 and 113 dB really matters. 110 dB is still a lot of noise for most people who aren't familiar with racing but I hope the limit will stay at 113 dB!
The idea here is right, but the math isn't quite right.

-3 dB is half the intensity. It doesn't matter whether you start at 113 or 63, it's half the intensity no matter where on the scale.
Old 17 Nov 2008, 20:12 (Ref:2336573)   #9
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
HORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Here is a comparative chart for those of us who are laymen. Noise

L.P.
Old 18 Nov 2008, 07:58 (Ref:2336803)   #10
Justin Moran
Veteran

UK-ROI
St Helens
Justin Moran should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJustin Moran should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by HORNDAWG
Here is a comparative chart for those of us who are laymen. Noise

L.P.
So using the link as a guide, LeMans cars are still 13x louder than normal cars!
Old 18 Nov 2008, 08:31 (Ref:2336821)   #11
Justin Moran
Veteran

UK-ROI
St Helens
Justin Moran should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJustin Moran should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
That should read 8x not 13 (Doh! )
Old 18 Nov 2008, 09:42 (Ref:2336860)   #12
the menace
Rookie

England
Ardingly West Sussex
Noise reduction at Lemans

Thanks for the replies. I'm pleased that this subject has drawn some interest as i feel that the sound of a racing engine is almost as important as the speed of the car. Personally I feel that if you erode away either the speed or the noise, you will surely damage motor sport.
In the years immediately after the demise of Group C in the early 90's, and the beautifully intoxicating sounds of the Jaguar's, Mazda's, the BRM to mention just a few and right at the end the screaming Peugeot 905's. I thought that something was missing. Yes lemans was still great but the adrenaline rush was not quite there. It didn't quite hit the spot if you get what i mean. Over the years there have been other fantastic sounding cars for instance the Ferrari 333sp, Mclaren F1, Mercedes, Corvette and of cause the iconic Panoz GT1. These cars have all helped to perpetuate the greatness of the race and make it "worthwhile".
I was standing at the entrance to Indianapolis corner when Panoz made it's debut at lemans. To hear it howling towards me and thundering through the trees was simply awe inspiring. This sort of spine chilling motor sport spectacle will be a thing of the past if noise levels are reduced.
Incidentally 3db will half the volume.
Old 18 Nov 2008, 11:24 (Ref:2336909)   #13
MulsanneMike
Veteran

United States
MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!
Well historically, sportscars have been mandated to 108 db. This was the db limit during the IMSA GTP (and I'm pretty sure Group C days as well) and IMSA WSC days. Frankly I couldnt' see any difference in the noise level between a Intrepid GTP, Ferrari 333SP, or a Lola-Judd. They were all plenty loud. To bemoan the 3 db noise cut comes off as a little disingenuous. There seems to be the perception that the cars will now be quiet...they will not be.
Old 18 Nov 2008, 12:33 (Ref:2336942)   #14
the menace
Rookie

England
Ardingly West Sussex
a little disingenuous

Hmmmmmmm Mulsannemike

A little disingenuous. I'm not sure if i agree with that. But i've taken your comments on board and hope you're right never the less.
Old 18 Nov 2008, 13:27 (Ref:2336969)   #15
The Badger
Veteran

Im sick of all this green crap . Yaknow , its all well and easy to tell people what they should do , but governments are still responsible for dumping crap into the sea .

Its nice for Mr.Minister to sit in his 5 star restaurant eating his cavier and truffles , when the sea is 400 miles away and he doesnt have to think about it .

I know its the future of the world had probably has to be in the long run , but Im still sick to death of hearing about how motorsport in so damaging to our future . If people are so worried , let them cancel their anual holiday to the canaries or swim there !!! Can you see folk canceling their flight cuz of air polution ? ..... Pffff !!!

I say bring back big loud engines with absolutly no silencing , and go over the white lines if it works for you .
Old 18 Nov 2008, 15:50 (Ref:2337028)   #16
deggis
Veteran

Finland
deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!
the menace, you might be interested:

http://tentenths.com/forum/showthread.php?t=109726

Old 18 Nov 2008, 15:52 (Ref:2337031)   #17
deggis
Veteran

Finland
deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AU N EGL
ACO guy Plassart said "Yes, a minimum and maximum is needed" but doesn't look like this idea has been transformed into the regulations...

Quote:
I think it was gradual change to 110 db by 2011.

Quote:
For Le Mans the cars could run quite loudly but these cars have to run at other places as well. Cranking the cars up for Le Mans would come across as a bit disrepectful and arrogant and cause complaints from the locals, and we all know the power of stupid people/NIMBYs in large groups.
Awesome way to thank the event that has brought as much as money to the city during last 30 years than olympics would have brought.

Last edited by deggis; 18 Nov 2008 at 15:56.
Old 18 Nov 2008, 16:16 (Ref:2337043)   #18
johntt
Veteran

England
England
Quote:
Originally Posted by deggis
Awesome way to thank the event that has brought as much as money to the city during last 30 years than olympics would have brought.
I'm aware of that, in fact 2/3 of the regional product comes from the race.

However NIMBYs are incredibily stupid, short-sighted people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MulsanneMike
Well historically, sportscars have been mandated to 108 db. This was the db limit during the IMSA GTP (and I'm pretty sure Group C days as well) and IMSA WSC days. Frankly I couldnt' see any difference in the noise level between a Intrepid GTP, Ferrari 333SP, or a Lola-Judd. They were all plenty loud. To bemoan the 3 db noise cut comes off as a little disingenuous. There seems to be the perception that the cars will now be quiet...they will not be.
Good to hear the opinion of someone technically minded on the subject.

Quote:
I'm sick of all this green crap . Yaknow , its all well and easy to tell people what they should do , but governments are still responsible for dumping crap into the sea .

Its nice for Mr.Minister to sit in his 5 star restaurant eating his cavier and truffles, when the sea is 400 miles away and he doesnt have to think about it .

I know its the future of the world had probably has to be in the long run , but Im still sick to death of hearing about how motorsport in so damaging to our future . If people are so worried, let them cancel their anual holiday to the canaries or swim there !!! Can you see folk canceling their flight cuz of air polution ? ..... Pffff !!!

I say bring back big loud engines with absolutly no silencing, and go over the white lines if it works for you.
I agree with what you are saying and engines without silencing would be amazing, but we can't just put our hands over our ears and sing "la la la not my problem" as regards the green issue because the global political elite doesn't see it that way.

20 years ago in the UK you would never have thought that smoking would be banned in public places, yet last July it was. Recently fox hunting got banned even though it only done by a tiny percentage of the population (a minority sport, like racing).

Racing needs to adapt in order to survive without losing what draws people to the sport, namely the speed and the sound.
Old 18 Nov 2008, 17:07 (Ref:2337079)   #19
the menace
Rookie

England
Ardingly West Sussex
the menace, you might be interested:

Thanks DEGGIS i did find it interesting. It seems that i have reheated an older story. However, It's still a hot topic.
Old 18 Nov 2008, 17:32 (Ref:2337087)   #20
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
HORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Thanks DEGGIS i did find it interesting. It seems that i have reheated an older story. However, It's still a hot topic.
Hmm, maybe luke warm!

L.P.
Old 18 Nov 2008, 20:41 (Ref:2337187)   #21
dj choc ice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Liverpool
dj choc ice should be qualifying in the top 10 on the griddj choc ice should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
most people know my views on noise, im of a similar opinion to badger and im very cynical of the new noise regs and, in particular the new LMP EVO rules which come across as being incredibly uninspiring and dull.

i say, run the cars unsilenced, people will complain wether the cars are silenced or not so lets do whats best for us race fans. take for example the zytek 07S2, silenced this is a great sounding car and it is pretty loud, but at petit lemans in 2007 this car ran with silencers, it was noticeably louder and it had a much more fruity exhaust note as well.

the joy of sportscar racing is the wall of sound of 50 unsilenced sportscars blasting past, you can feel the noise in your chest and quite frankly its a ****ing awesome feeling, it is truly inspiring to get to witness a judd GV4 engined LMP scream past, or a unsilenced 996 GT3 RSR, woooft now that was an amazing sound.

compared to the more seasoned posters on here who have witnessed the gloden era of sports car racing in the group C and 3.5 litre era, i cant say much but what i will say is this, i am NOT inspired by whispering silenced race cars, i am inspired by ear shredding, flame spitting screaming monsters, dome S101 judd GV4 V10, Pescarolo C60 hybrid with the old 5.0 V10, Zytek 04S, Panoz GTR1, lamborghini murcielago RGT, porsche 996 GT3 RSR, mazda 787B, ferrari 333SP, mercedes CLR, Jaguar XJR14 and Spyker C8 Targa GT.

to me those cars are the be all and end all, these are stunning race cars, they look fabulous, they make your jaw drop in awe, they put a big huge grin your face when they blast past, and do you know what? this is what race cars should be, they should make people go "****ing hell!!!" or "WOOOOAAAAHHHH!!!!", cars like above have character, they have soul and by being loud and barmy these cars have fans and followers now.

Motorsport is the most spectacular and fabulous show on earth, and sportscar racing imo is at the top, now Mr.Poissenot, plassart etc and the ACO, lets keep it that way, stuff hybrids, lets have some big and small screaming, thundering unsilenced petrol race engines please
Old 18 Nov 2008, 21:15 (Ref:2337217)   #22
AU N EGL
Veteran

United States
Raleigh, North Carolina
AU N EGL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAU N EGL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
New rules say max of 112 dbs
Old 19 Nov 2008, 08:49 (Ref:2337452)   #23
the menace
Rookie

England
Ardingly West Sussex
The opinion seems to be split between those that feel very passionate about the intoxicating sound of race engines, as i most certainly am, and those that are not. I'm not saying that one is "into" motor sport more than the other as we all have different personalities and therefore different ways of taking enjoyment from the sport. However, from the last two replies I get the impression that one has been to Lemans and one hasn't.
DJ CHOC ICE - I 100% agree with your views except maybe, regrettably, some sort of compromise with inevitably have to be struck in the future.
Old 19 Nov 2008, 09:08 (Ref:2337468)   #24
Satorian
Veteran

European Union
Satorian has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I like the sound, but I don't like the volume. 112db is still plenty loud for me.
Old 19 Nov 2008, 10:56 (Ref:2337527)   #25
The Badger
Veteran

When I got interested in sporstcars , they were loud and proud . Now they are but a shadow of what could be .

We will never hear a screaming 4L V10 again , or a quad rotor . Is that right ?

That is my complaint , and a valid one at that , or not ?