Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 4 Aug 2010, 13:24 (Ref:2739380)   #1
Robert_R
Rookie

Robert_R should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Rounded race numbers font (typeface)?

Dear all,

can somebody help me identifying the name of the font typeface used for the race numbers on the attached picture?

I know this is not a typography forum, and I am also aware that these numbers are available as ready-cut decals, e.g. at raceparts.co.uk. They call them 'rounded' style. But the ones they offer are a bit too large for the white circles on my rather small car, so I'd prefer to have them made by a local decal shop in a smaller size.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Regards, Robert
Attached Thumbnails
racenumbers.jpg  
Old 4 Aug 2010, 13:36 (Ref:2739384)   #2
Belmondo
Racer

Belmondo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Trade Gothic Bold No.2 is a common font quite similar to these... but it has serifs on the '1'.
Old 4 Aug 2010, 13:48 (Ref:2739386)   #3
JimW
Veteran

United Kingdom
Worcestershire, UK
JimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Nearly Consolas bold.

Or Ebrima

All subject, of course, to the BB requirements:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Book 2010(Part of)
4.1. Numbers must be displayed in a durable manner and be black, of a minimum size of 23cm high with stroke width of a minimum of 3.8cm on a white oblong background measuring not less than 48cm x 33cm which must extend at least 5cm beyond the outline of the numbers.
4.1.1. If on a white vehicle the background must be delineated at 48cm x 33cm by a continuous black line, except for cars of period A to E.
4.1.2. Numbers must be displayed on each side of the vehicle (front doors, alongside the cockpit or on rear wing end plates) and on the foremost part of the nose.
4.1.3. Certain types of competition have special requirements which will appear in SRs (Subject to approval by the MSA) (see U.17.25 to 17.28 for Kart Numbers).
4.1.4. Note. Consideration should be given at all times to the positive identification of vehicles by the competition organisers, whose decisions will be final.
4.1.5. The numbers must be of the ‘Classic’ type as shown below:
1–2–3–4–5–6–7–8–9–0. 4.1.6. In International events on both front wings an
illustration of the national flag(s) of the driver(s) as well as the name(s) of the latter shall be displayed. Minimum height of both flag(s) and name(s) shall be 4cm.
4.1.7. Any means of identifying individual cars during a competition MUST be removed at the finish of the event.
4.1.8. With the exception of events restricted to cars of periods A to F (see The Terminology) race organisers must not use three figured numbers unless previously agreed in writing by the MSA.
Regards

Jim
Old 4 Aug 2010, 13:55 (Ref:2739388)   #4
JimW
Veteran

United Kingdom
Worcestershire, UK
JimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Samples:

I'm sure Al Weyman will have the complete answer - it's in his line of business.

Regards

Jim
Attached Thumbnails
Numbers.jpg  
Old 4 Aug 2010, 15:25 (Ref:2739413)   #5
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert_R View Post
Dear all,

can somebody help me identifying the name of the font typeface used for the race numbers on the attached picture?

I know this is not a typography forum, and I am also aware that these numbers are available as ready-cut decals, e.g. at raceparts.co.uk. They call them 'rounded' style. But the ones they offer are a bit too large for the white circles on my rather small car, so I'd prefer to have them made by a local decal shop in a smaller size.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Regards, Robert
Totally off-topic but the 'three' in both examples certainly looks like a cut-down 'eight'. Obviously this is also part of the type-face style...
Old 4 Aug 2010, 15:31 (Ref:2739415)   #6
Robert_R
Rookie

Robert_R should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Jim and Belmondo,

thanks a lot for the quick replies. These fonts are indeed similar, but not exactly what I am looking for. Being a grafic designer myself, I have already searched my own font database, as well as the common suppliers.

Apart from the slightly 'strange' look of some of the characters, a special feature of this font is the rounded edges. This can be found for example also on fonts like Calibri Bold or Officina Sans Bold, which are shown in the attached picture. But of course the shape of the characters is quite different.

I will send a PM to Al, maybe he can help.

Robert
Attached Thumbnails
samples.jpg  
Old 4 Aug 2010, 16:39 (Ref:2739438)   #7
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!
veering off topic tangentially..

4.1. Numbers must be displayed in a durable manner and be black, of a minimum size of 23cm high with stroke width of a minimum of 3.8cm on a white oblong background measuring not less than 48cm x 33cm which must extend at least 5cm beyond the outline of the numbers.

So roundels are not allowed then

another rule that nobody takes any notice of
daft innit
Old 5 Aug 2010, 08:17 (Ref:2739696)   #8
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Roundels look a whole lot better, and are very suitable for historic racing, I think. I'm sure that when I started watching motor racing in the 60's, roundels were the norm!
Old 5 Aug 2010, 08:27 (Ref:2739701)   #9
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Roundels work as long as the squared dimensions fit inside the radius.

Of course if one builds a white car the problem goes away.
Old 15 Aug 2010, 11:31 (Ref:2744756)   #10
p261brm
Veteran

England
Shropshire & Oura
p261brm should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridp261brm should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
For 'Historic Racing' to be correct 'in period' perhaps the sign writers should be re-employed
Old 15 Aug 2010, 15:54 (Ref:2744806)   #11
SAMD
Veteran

SAMD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSAMD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Unfortunately most of them are dead. Although you may be able to re-employ different ones
Old 16 Aug 2010, 20:20 (Ref:2745443)   #12
p261brm
Veteran

England
Shropshire & Oura
p261brm should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridp261brm should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAMD View Post
Unfortunately most of them are dead. Although you may be able to re-employ different ones
Kin good job there's yan o' two of us left that can remember 'when'..