Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 4 Aug 2010, 20:07 (Ref:2739526)   #1
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
A bit of Czech Republic motorsport history comes to UK.

Prompted by Delta, some pictures of the car I collected last week. A rather more exciting trip than wanted after being rammed on Autobahn by an errant Merc Sprinter when slowing in traffic. Result is sorry looking trailer and rear end of Vito, but still managed to get there, collect car and return- albeit with no brakes on trailer! (Thank you BJ for making such strong trailers.)

So the answer to 'What is it?'- It is an MTX 201-01 Spider of 1972 vintage. If anyone has heard of MTX it is probably because of their single seaters- they made quite a number for domestic Formula Skoda, Formula Easter and Monoposto cars from 1970 into 1980s. In 1972 they also made two spaceframe 201-01 prototype sports racers for domestic Gp5 series with Fiat 1600TCs and Skoda gearboxes. A third followed in 1973. A few years later my car was changed to BMW M10 power with Hewland box, and radiators were moved to rear of car. It raced succesfully and won Czech championship in 1976 driven by Miran Velkoborski. In 1977 Miran became one of the first (if not the first) Czech citizens to race outside the Republic for many years when he took the car to Germany for selected Interserie races.

MTX then went on to make another sports racer for domestic series with 1300cc power and Skoda gearboxes. One of these again raced in Interserie in 1980 fitted with BDG and Hewland box. A bit too new for our race series, but that car is being rebuilt in Germany at the moment.

In late '90s my car was beautifully rebuilt for competition by Zdenek Vondrak, still with same engine and gearbox, and raced / hillclimbed by one or other of his sons until 2007. They both now compete in F2 March- a 712 and 752 I believe. (One an orange ex Brambilla 'Beta' car.)

Mr Vondrak had the HVIF updated to HTP in 2007, so I have this and comprehensive history, (International participation all confirmed by FIA in Germany!) so hopefully next season it will be out in Masters or HSCC- if they get suggested 2 litre races going- or possibly Orwell SS.

Before then, need to get component crack testing done, and wheels (magnesium) X-rayed. Any suggestions of companies to handle this? Also concerned about fuel tank, which is aluminium affair standing in R/H of spaceframe. What are the rules for firewalls etc in prototyes?

Also am keen to re-do original sponsorship scheme- if Al reads this, is it possible? (I have better pics!)

Car in 1977 (2nd with wing for one Interserie race)-

And in 2005-
Old 5 Aug 2010, 08:27 (Ref:2739700)   #2
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Mike, what a fantastic and unusual acquisition. Brilliant stuff.

I'm sure Al would be able to help with decals.

(As an aside, I've always loathed M-B for calling their light vans 'Sprinters' because it so obviously pandered to the egos of White Van Man; indeed almost any 'Van Man'. They naturally assume that it's a sports car with a van body, and I've had more than a few pass me on the motorway at 90 mph. I've also seen a number of them lying on their sides, on motorways, too. I wonder why that could be!)
Old 14 Aug 2010, 19:23 (Ref:2744599)   #3
p261brm
Veteran

England
Shropshire & Oura
p261brm should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridp261brm should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well done Mike, make a change from those ever persistant hoards of Chevron's.. So Transit's and the like plus their owners/drivers are not amongst JT's 'favorite things'....interesting...mmm....must remember that, when on my way to Rick's at Bourne, in Lincolnshire n' it?
Old 14 Aug 2010, 19:49 (Ref:2744606)   #4
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
And I thought Transit was Ford product, not a Mercedes-Benz! Still if the cap fits!