Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Club Level Single Seaters

Old 29 Mar 2010, 05:27 (Ref:2662380)   #1
milesinfront
Rookie

Australia
Brisbane, Australia
milesinfront should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Painting/Coating of Wishbones?

So I'm doing a rebuild of my Formula Ford and am looking for opinions of what to do with my wishbones and push rods. They are currently coated with a thin layer of paint and rust... Powder coating is one solution, but I have been advised that may hide any cracks if they appear. I was thinking of a nice bright silver ceramic coating, but they want around $100 per bone...

Any other suggestions?

This is a one-off car, first raced in '91. It will never be a competitive car, so this is just a hobby/cosmetic thing... I want it to look nice and last a good while!
Old 29 Mar 2010, 05:40 (Ref:2662385)   #2
brown dog
Racer

brown dog should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbrown dog should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have just rebuilt an F5000. I had the wishbones electroless nickel plated. The important part is that whoever does them, must de-embrittle them immediately after the plating process. It is "baked" in an oven at around 60 degrees celsius from memory, for about 2 hours. You can also do it in your home oven, if they will fit!
Old 29 Mar 2010, 06:14 (Ref:2662395)   #3
milesinfront
Rookie

Australia
Brisbane, Australia
Never heard of EN plating before... Just did some research and it sounds like a possible candidate! Hopefully it will be more affordable than ceramic coating...
Old 29 Mar 2010, 09:41 (Ref:2662519)   #4
brown dog
Racer

brown dog should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbrown dog should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by milesinfront View Post
Never heard of EN plating before... Just did some research and it sounds like a possible candidate! Hopefully it will be more affordable than ceramic coating...
yes much cheaper than ceramic coating, it is an electroplating process. looks a lot like bright nickel or chrome, but much more corrosion resistant, and not thick like chrome. You need to polish the parts BEFORE AND AFTER plating if you want a shiny finish though, as it is very thin and will show any imperfections in the part.
Old 29 Mar 2010, 18:10 (Ref:2662924)   #5
GlenF
Racer

United Kingdom
GlenF should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What about "blackened" similar to the new Van diemens (Not sure how its done though)
Old 29 Mar 2010, 19:27 (Ref:2662964)   #6
milesinfront
Rookie

Australia
Brisbane, Australia
Black would be the most logical choice, but I want to be 'out there' with this car. It's not just another 'Van Diemen' or 'Swift', it's an orphan! I can't beat everyone, but I want to make a BIG impression on those that I do...
Old 30 Mar 2010, 08:36 (Ref:2663286)   #7
tristancliffe
Veteran

United Kingdom
Norwich, UK
tristancliffe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridtristancliffe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think KeyPhos (a phosphor coating) is the black stuff. Don't get them powder coated (although many people do, and have never had problems) as you can't see what's going on underneath...
Old 30 Mar 2010, 21:39 (Ref:2663836)   #8
milesinfront
Rookie

Australia
Brisbane, Australia
Found this:-
Quote:
Kephos is a black, solvent-based coating made from a blend of resins, pigment and a phosphating base material.

Kephos is sprayed on and when stoved it offers an attractive low gloss finish with good corrosion resistance. Kephos also offers a high level of resistance to solvent, oils and lubricants, while allowing for crack testing of the component without disturbing the coating. These properties make Kephos an ideal coating for the motor sport industry.
Old 31 Mar 2010, 08:46 (Ref:2664026)   #9
tristancliffe
Veteran

United Kingdom
Norwich, UK
tristancliffe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridtristancliffe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That's the one! I think you can even get it in aerosol form that doesn't need baking. Only a fool would powdercoat wishbones after discovering Kephos.
Old 31 Mar 2010, 12:47 (Ref:2664146)   #10
Triple J Motorsport
Veteran

England
Burgess Hill W Sussex
Triple J Motorsport should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by tristancliffe View Post
That's the one! I think you can even get it in aerosol form that doesn't need baking. Only a fool would powdercoat wishbones after discovering Kephos.
Where can we purchase this Tristan?

3rd 2009 & 2012 FFZetec festival final
Old 31 Mar 2010, 16:34 (Ref:2664266)   #11
tristancliffe
Veteran

United Kingdom
Norwich, UK
Good question. Not sure exactly about the aerosol type - I think it was URS (Ken or Simon, or forget which) that mentioned the aerosol.

I've never bought any myself, but I think you could get some here http://www.sandwell-uk.com/kephos.html
Old 5 Oct 2010, 22:13 (Ref:2770011)   #12
Chris Wilson
Racer

United Kingdom
Shropshire
Chris Wilson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Good question. Not sure exactly about the aerosol type - I think it was URS (Ken or Simon, or forget which) that mentioned the aerosol.

I've never bought any myself, but I think you could get some here http://www.sandwell-uk.com/kephos.html
For the record I have just bought some Kephos 1090 from there. It is a minimum 18Kgs drum and in round figures, with carriage, it was £280. I tried dipping a wishbone but un-thinned it's very viscous and I got runs. No worries, I think, leave it for a few days until I am more in the mood and bead blast it again and have another go. Jeez, is this stuff tough! Took far more effort to remove the paint than the original Parkerising. I then thinned it about 50 / 50 with their special thinners and sprayed it. A good result, a thin even coating, good obliteration and a really durable finish. I am restoring a Lola F3000, plus my Zeus Sports Prototype. However, I now have enough of this stuff to restore several grid fulls of cars. New usages have become apparent though I think it would be superb on some outside antique type light fittings that have started to peel. I will also use it on the subframes of a Skyline I am doing for someone, and the suspension parts if they are happy with a black finish. I am sure I'll get through it in time, or it will go off....

Good stuff though, and as I was quoted £35 per wishbone sized item, to bead blast and paint, by a firm that does a lot of historic restoration work, and I have a bead blaster anyway, it's not that bad a price.
Old 10 Oct 2010, 13:25 (Ref:2772596)   #13
littleblackflash
Rookie

United Kingdom
Goodwood, West Sussex
littleblackflash should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I need to recoat my RF95 wishbones, which type of Kephos do I need? 1090 or 253

or do you want to sell some of your large pot Chris?
Old 11 Oct 2010, 02:39 (Ref:2772881)   #14
milesinfront
Rookie

Australia
Brisbane, Australia
Quote:
As I have discovered Kephos, but can't obtain it in Australia, I have had to 'foolishly' powdercoat my bits...

On the up-side, they look GREAT!
Old 11 Oct 2010, 09:26 (Ref:2772996)   #15
Chris Wilson
Racer

United Kingdom
Shropshire
Chris Wilson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by littleblackflash View Post
I need to recoat my RF95 wishbones, which type of Kephos do I need? 1090 or 253

or do you want to sell some of your large pot Chris?

1090 is the stuff you need. I wouldn't want to get involved in posting some, but if you happen to be local to north Shropshire (I am 25 miles south of Oulton Park off the A49 near Whitchurch), I am sure something could be arranged if you collect
Old 11 Oct 2010, 22:00 (Ref:2773429)   #16
littleblackflash
Rookie

United Kingdom
Goodwood, West Sussex
littleblackflash should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Wilson View Post
1090 is the stuff you need. I wouldn't want to get involved in posting some, but if you happen to be local to north Shropshire (I am 25 miles south of Oulton Park off the A49 near Whitchurch), I am sure something could be arranged if you collect
Thanks, I live and work at Goodwood so I'm unlikely to pop past. I'll just order some. Thanks for info,
Old 12 Oct 2010, 07:03 (Ref:2773619)   #17
SAMD
Veteran

SAMD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSAMD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by littleblackflash View Post
Thanks, I live and work at Goodwood so I'm unlikely to pop past. I'll just order some. Thanks for info,
Whitchurch - Goodwood, agh thats only about 6inches on my map.