Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 8 Jul 2018, 16:22 (Ref:3835473)   #51
RoverSport
Rookie

RoverSport should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Exciting race and yes that speed difference between the top teams and the rest is ridiculous.
Thought Kimi's penalty was harsh and inconsistent with recent similar incidents.
Old 8 Jul 2018, 16:46 (Ref:3835474)   #52
Racer65
Racer

Racer65 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by EffectiveSprinkles View Post
Did you even watch the end of the race?
The end of the race was only interesting because of the two safety cars. Up until that point it was a boring drudge and it would have carried on the same way.
Old 8 Jul 2018, 17:00 (Ref:3835475)   #53
EffectiveSprinkles
Veteran

EffectiveSprinkles User had had their licence endorsedEffectiveSprinkles User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer65 View Post
The end of the race was only interesting because of the two safety cars. Up until that point it was a boring drudge and it would have carried on the same way.
Not quite, but I was referring to the DRS comment. Without DRS, we would not have had those fights and overtakes. Even with DRS Vettel had to work for it, as he should.
Old 8 Jul 2018, 17:08 (Ref:3835478)   #54
tux
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
tux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by F1Guy View Post
Looks like the Vettel effect has caught on in F2 as well. Ferrucci deliberately drives into Maini on the slow down lap.

FiA has to take most of the blame here. They set the precedent when they handed Vettel a pathetic penalty (10 seconds) when he deliberately drove into Hamilton in Baku 2017, so now the junior formulas don't fear being handed a hefty penalty for deliberate crashing into other drivers.

Similar incidents in the past resulted in grid drops. Which is what should happen, and should've happened to Vettel for Baku last year. But we now have the drivers in the junior categories thinking it's ok to deliberately run into other drivers?? Well done FiA.

Ferrucci got a two weekend ban, not only for the contact but for not attending the stewards hearing and driving from paddock to pit lane with one hand gloved and the other carrying a phone.
Old 8 Jul 2018, 17:49 (Ref:3835490)   #55
steve nielsen
Veteran

Netherlands
Rotterdam- Holland
steve nielsen should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
someone wasn't happy when first his brake by wire faild and after that the gearbox was stuck in 1st

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2isK...ature=youtu.be
Old 8 Jul 2018, 19:49 (Ref:3835529)   #56
P38 in workshop
Veteran

P38 in workshop has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I was rather moved by Channel 4 using Murray Walker in their pre-race section on the history of Silverstone.I hope he imparted some of his passion for racing to the younger viewers,who might have been unfamiliar with either the history or the stature of the legend within the motorsport community.
Old 9 Jul 2018, 07:16 (Ref:3835618)   #57
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by P38 in workshop View Post
I was rather moved by Channel 4 using Murray Walker in their pre-race section on the history of Silverstone.I hope he imparted some of his passion for racing to the younger viewers,who might have been unfamiliar with either the history or the stature of the legend within the motorsport community.
I'm relieved to see that I wasn't the only one. I can't remember ever feeling so emotional at te start of a Grand Prix. Murray Walkers enthusiasm I'm sure played a great part it getting me interested from a young age, he really was the voice of motorsport when I grew up. Seeing him again at the start of the programme was like seeing a favourite uncle I hadn't seen for years. You could tell that he's not so ,light on his feet anymore, but the passion was obviously still there, plus he was more than happy to 'ham it up' for the cameras.
Old 9 Jul 2018, 07:43 (Ref:3835620)   #58
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Is he the only person left who enjoys motorsport?
Old 9 Jul 2018, 08:36 (Ref:3835627)   #59
TrapezeArtist
Veteran

United Kingdom
England
TrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASCII Man View Post
DRS is a farce at this track, it's so depressing to watch.
Yes, it would be so much more exciting to watch fast cars bottled up behind slow ones for the entire race. Think back to some of the farcical races we had before DRS.
Old 9 Jul 2018, 08:41 (Ref:3835628)   #60
TrapezeArtist
Veteran

United Kingdom
England
TrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GT6 View Post
Enjoyed the race but expected the heat to have more of an effect on the cars, apart from accidents cars were all very reliable
Air temperature similar to many GPs. Track temperature at the high end but not astronomical. For the cars, drivers and teams it was fairly normal weather. For British GP spectators, it wasn't.
Old 9 Jul 2018, 08:44 (Ref:3835629)   #61
steve_r
Veteran

Lord Howe Island
European Capital of Culture 2008
steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoverSport View Post
Thought Kimi's penalty was harsh and inconsistent with recent similar incidents.
Kimi himself disagrees with you:-

“It was my mistake, so that’s fine. I deserved it and took the 10 seconds and kept fighting. That’s how it goes."
Old 9 Jul 2018, 08:54 (Ref:3835630)   #62
Racer65
Racer

Racer65 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapezeArtist View Post
Yes, it would be so much more exciting to watch fast cars bottled up behind slow ones for the entire race. Think back to some of the farcical races we had before DRS.
At least we'd see them making some sort of effort to try and get by rather than just pushing a button and sailing by.

Until they take away the reliance on wing based aero F1 will never be that interesting to watch compared to many other series.
Old 9 Jul 2018, 11:11 (Ref:3835644)   #63
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapezeArtist View Post
Air temperature similar to many GPs. Track temperature at the high end but not astronomical. For the cars, drivers and teams it was fairly normal weather. For British GP spectators, it wasn't.
Nor for us orange lot, zipped up in fire retardant overalls. We were all given a lovely high quality baseball cap at sign on, but... it was black. I (and others) really struggled in the heat on Friday despite taking a hundred million gallons of water on board every few minutes.

Other than managing the heat, I really enjoyed it. I even got to exercise my yellow flag button finger on my light panel when Max spun at Vale, so the Finger of Power continues on to next year!
Old 9 Jul 2018, 11:58 (Ref:3835648)   #64
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greem View Post
Other than managing the heat, I really enjoyed it. I even got to exercise my yellow flag button finger on my light panel when Max spun at Vale, so the Finger of Power continues on to next year!
It think Finger Boy would agree with you.

Old 9 Jul 2018, 17:50 (Ref:3835714)   #65
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Some good racing, with or without DRS.

Kimi really made a mistake on that first lap. Was he more aggressive with Hamilton than he would have been with another driver? You never can tell. I did think the ten seconds was harsh, considering others have only had 5

The race was interesting, then the last few laps were something else. Four cars together for the lead, shame Valterri couldn’t hold on, Vettel though, what a move. Big leap the top three teams have made over the rest

Shame for Leclerc, drove so well, then hit that problem

The Sainz/Grosjean to me, racing incident. Grosjean lost it, but the move wasn’t without risk for Sainz. Just read today Gasly lost his final point for his incident with Checo, which I found harsh. Seems to be too much stewards involvement these days

The DRS through turn one added a bit of unnecessary danger for me, with two big offs over the weekend. And when will the FIA realise this free pass rule only keeps the SC out longer than it should?
Old 9 Jul 2018, 18:37 (Ref:3835729)   #66
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve_r View Post
Kimi himself disagrees with you:-

“It was my mistake, so that’s fine. I deserved it and took the 10 seconds and kept fighting. That’s how it goes."
Thoroughly refreshing as well as making much of the debate over it completely otiose.
Old 10 Jul 2018, 12:09 (Ref:3835874)   #67
F1Guy
Veteran

Antarctica
Driving dangerously
F1Guy User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Well said Martin Brundle. Well said.

http://www.skysports.com/f1/news/124...le-british-gp?

Old 10 Jul 2018, 16:48 (Ref:3835922)   #68
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Well said Martin Brundle. Well said.

http://www.skysports.com/f1/news/124...le-british-gp?
Very much agree.
Old 10 Jul 2018, 22:20 (Ref:3835978)   #69
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
How much longer is Grosjean going to get in F1?

Even Steiner said he can't keep on crashing amd losing the team points.

I've never doubted his pace and because of that he deserved his chance.

But how many points would that car have gained if someone as quick AND composed was at the wheel?
Old 10 Jul 2018, 22:41 (Ref:3835979)   #70
TrapezeArtist
Veteran

United Kingdom
England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greem View Post
Nor for us orange lot, zipped up in fire retardant overalls. We were all given a lovely high quality baseball cap at sign on, but... it was black. I (and others) really struggled in the heat on Friday despite taking a hundred million gallons of water on board every few minutes.

Fair point. I'll revise my comment: "For the British GP spectators and marshals, it wasn't."
Old 10 Jul 2018, 22:44 (Ref:3835982)   #71
TrapezeArtist
Veteran

United Kingdom
England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer65 View Post
At least we'd see them making some sort of effort to try and get by rather than just pushing a button and sailing by.

Until they take away the reliance on wing based aero F1 will never be that interesting to watch compared to many other series.
On the second point, I heartily agree with you. Wings are for aeroplanes, not cars. Unfortunately I can't see it ever happening: to ban wings in F1 you'd also have to ban them in every other form of FIA motorsport. And still you'd be stuck with the likes of Indycar who would start crowing about being faster (lap times) than F1.
Old 11 Jul 2018, 08:47 (Ref:3836017)   #72
F1Guy
Veteran

Antarctica
Driving dangerously
F1Guy User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoverSport View Post
Well.. Kimi isn't in the championship fight, so even though I do agree with the inconsistency from the stewards, it's acceptable that Kimi receives a harsher penalty than Vettel.

Old 11 Jul 2018, 10:56 (Ref:3836035)   #73
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Well.. Kimi isn't in the championship fight, so even though I do agree with the inconsistency from the stewards, it's acceptable that Kimi receives a harsher penalty than Vettel.

It should make no difference whether Kimi is in the championship fight or not, there needs be consistency, so why is it acceptable that Kimi receives a harsher penalty than Vettel?
Old 11 Jul 2018, 11:02 (Ref:3836036)   #74
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:

It should make no difference whether Kimi is in the championship fight or not, there needs be consistency, so why is it acceptable that Kimi receives a harsher penalty than Vettel? You saying that it is acceptable, suggests you don't agree with consistency.
Old 11 Jul 2018, 11:58 (Ref:3836050)   #75
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
You can't just make allowances for the title, every driver is equal, unless they have had previous.

Anyway, speaking of penalties, both Sainz and Grosjean said there's was a racing incident, which meant the stewards saw fit to leave it at that, whereas Checo forced the issue on the stewards, which is why Gasly got punished