Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 15 Mar 2022, 11:57 (Ref:4102568)   #5726
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post
Great piccies, Chris. And that Zeta has a lot of Anglia features to it.
Blinking, typical, EB sticks up a few half way decent pictures and in flows the praise, while ........
Old 15 Mar 2022, 11:57 (Ref:4102569)   #5727
bauble
Veteran

England
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
If that was a caption competition, I would say that it would be:

"Well, young man, what have you got to say for yourself?"
I guess you take first prize then Mike.
Old 15 Mar 2022, 12:00 (Ref:4102571)   #5728
bauble
Veteran

England
You lot don't deserve these;
Attached Thumbnails
1 F3 (1).JPG   1 F3 (2).JPG   1 F3 (3).JPG  

1 F3 (4).JPG   1 F3 (5).JPG   1 F3 (6).JPG  

Old 15 Mar 2022, 12:02 (Ref:4102572)   #5729
bauble
Veteran

England
Just shows what a nice bloke I am;
Attached Thumbnails
1SM (1).JPG   1SM (2).JPG   1SM (3).JPG  

1SM (4).JPG   1SM (5).JPG   1SM (6).JPG  

Old 15 Mar 2022, 12:03 (Ref:4102573)   #5730
bauble
Veteran

England
And a few scraps;
Attached Thumbnails
1 BGT (6).JPG   1 BGT (8).JPG   1 ODDS (1).JPG  

1 ODDS (2).JPG   1 ODDS (3).JPG   1 ODDS (6).JPG  

Old 15 Mar 2022, 15:02 (Ref:4102612)   #5731
morninggents
Veteran

England
Up north, near York.
morninggents should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
If that was a caption competition, I would say that it would be:

"Well, young man, what have you got to say for yourself?"

.....and he said " I don't normally suffer from that. It's usually pointed up not down".
Old 15 Mar 2022, 16:13 (Ref:4102621)   #5732
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by E.B View Post
A few more.....

Pic #4 we have another Elfin. The second car obviously a Lola Mk1 and followed by the MG Regah Special. The #24 is a Mac Healey.

My bad.... a case of brainfade..... The #17 is not "another Elfin" but a Lotus 11. In my defence Elfin made a Lotus 11 'copy' (called the Streamliner) and I thought it was one of them.
Old 15 Mar 2022, 16:24 (Ref:4102625)   #5733
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Always love a good Lotus, and that early one certainly has it's place in history
Old 15 Mar 2022, 19:20 (Ref:4102664)   #5734
rbs
Veteran

England
northampton
rbs should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrbs should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Re post 5720 from EB, we have this Nota racing up here.Click image for larger version

Name:	Nota FJ  Mark Haynes  .JPG
Views:	2
Size:	2.14 MB
ID:	74018
Old 15 Mar 2022, 23:49 (Ref:4102685)   #5735
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
@Lancsbreaker.... Richard, have sent you an email with a load of info re your questions on the Giocattola. Feel free to use the photos.
Cheers, Chris
Old 15 Mar 2022, 23:56 (Ref:4102686)   #5736
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Chris, what's the story with the Citroen "Maigret" mobile ? never seen one racing. However I suppose anything is possible seeing that the crazy Dutch race those elastic band Daf's in reverse
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 16 Mar 2022, 03:46 (Ref:4102705)   #5737
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by GORDON STREETER View Post
Chris, what's the story with the Citroen "Maigret" mobile ? never seen one racing. However I suppose anything is possible seeing that the crazy Dutch race those elastic band Daf's in reverse
I must admit it is the only "Traction Avant" (this one is an 11D) Citroen I have ever seen racing. The story behind the car is that it is a 1954 car, converted / modified for racing in 1960 and raced for 20 odd years before being stored for 30 years. Mick Stupka, current owner, had been nagging the previous owner for years to sell it and bought it probably 10+ years ago and restored it, and updated it mechanically. Its a 2litre 4 cylinder as was, but runs twin side-draughts, extractors, modded head, cam etc but bits are hard to come by and everything has to be build from scratch. Oh and it has the Citroen umbrella type gearshift out of the dash.

Not the quickest car by a long way but Mick always says the racing part of the weekend is a distraction from the fun and camaraderie of talking S#*T with the rest of the paddock. He says the car is a different car every lap as things heat up, brakes fade etc

He is a bit of an eccentric and has raced Imps, also has a Volvo Amazon and a Cortina he also races. Loves a beer and the social side of racing. Always happy to help. One of the nice guys.

Bit of Traction Avant trivia for you..... Being a South North set up with the engine behind the aluminium transaxle gearbox the actual TA transaxle case has a race heritage / connotations.

When John Cooper was first putting F1 engines behind the driver he used the alloy transaxle case from a Traction Avant in the Cooper T43.... light, and being a 4 speed box it was big enough to accommodate chunky F1 type gears and internals. And with a TA transaxle case the Cooper T43 was the first rear engined Championship GP winner. (Argentina 1958)
Old 16 Mar 2022, 04:01 (Ref:4102706)   #5738
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
Best I post some pictures before I get accused of turning the photo thread into a discussion thread....
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_4178 (2).JPG   IMG_4180 (2).JPG   IMG_4190 (2).JPG  

IMG_4191 (2).JPG   IMG_4187 (3).JPG   IMG_4179 (2).JPG  

Old 16 Mar 2022, 04:20 (Ref:4102707)   #5739
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
Re my post confusing the Lotus 11 with the Elfin Streamliner..... this first pic is the Elfin!

Even popped a Vauxhall in for Bob! (This is the car that won the 1960 Armstrong 500 miles.... the precursor to todays Bathurst 1000. Just to confuse you it was run at Phillip Island that year )

Yes that is an XJ13 in the mix. I remember seeing the original doing demo laps at the British GP in the early to mid 70's.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_4217 (2).JPG   IMG_4218 (2).JPG   IMG_4224 (2).JPG  

IMG_4229 (2).JPG   IMG_4230 (2).JPG   IMG_4233 (2).JPG  

Old 16 Mar 2022, 04:48 (Ref:4102710)   #5740
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
Last lot for today....

A Humpy Holden to start with. A Holden FJ to give it its proper name.

A Corvette and an Alpine for GerryMo who has a soft spot for both.

The last pic is the MacHealey.... an interesting history.

The MacHealey started life as a road going sports car, as one of an initial trio of new 1954 Austin-Healeys bound South Australia.... it caught fire enroute from Melbourne to Adelaide.

The remains were bought by South Australian Peter De Mac who stripped it with the intention of constructing a Jaguar powered sports car. That never happened and it raced with standard mechanicals albeit with the engine moved back a foot and clothed in the blue body made from aluminium and fibreglass. The MacHealey was born.

The car disappeared for 15 years then reappeared in Sydney with a Holden engine and Austin Gypsy gearbox...

Now it has gone full circle and back to Healey mechanicals... from a 100S
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_3934 (2).JPG   IMG_3938 (4).JPG   IMG_3947 (2).JPG  

IMG_3954 (2).JPG   IMG_3968 (2).JPG   IMG_3986 (2).JPG  

Old 16 Mar 2022, 08:08 (Ref:4102718)   #5741
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by E.B View Post
Re my post confusing the Lotus 11 with the Elfin Streamliner..... this first pic is the Elfin!

Even popped a Vauxhall in for Bob! (This is the car that won the 1960 Armstrong 500 miles.... the precursor to todays Bathurst 1000. Just to confuse you it was run at Phillip Island that year )

Yes that is an XJ13 in the mix. I remember seeing the original doing demo laps at the British GP in the early to mid 70's.
Nice pics there E.B, thanks.
(Oh, and Bob's not the only Vauxhall admirer, they do appeal to some of us younger members too!)
Old 16 Mar 2022, 09:57 (Ref:4102738)   #5742
bauble
Veteran

England
EB, very nice pictures, (I hope I don't sound patronising) your recent images are top notch, and you put me to shame (you bas...) not just great pictures but chapter and verse on the cars, as well. I stick up a load of snaps and half the time could not even tell you the make let alone model or even category.

I think it is a big improvement to the thread when pictures stimulate discussion, and bring out the history of the cars and drivers. I will have to pull my socks up!

Now we have to work on improving VivaGT's contributions, both photographic, and conversation, wise.
Old 16 Mar 2022, 10:49 (Ref:4102745)   #5743
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by bauble View Post
EB, very nice pictures, (I hope I don't sound patronising) your recent images are top notch, and you put me to shame (you bas...) not just great pictures but chapter and verse on the cars, as well. I stick up a load of snaps and half the time could not even tell you the make let alone model or even category.

I think it is a big improvement to the thread when pictures stimulate discussion, and bring out the history of the cars and drivers.
Thanks Bob (and Viv and others) for the comments. If my pics have improved I think it might be due to the tips you (Bob) gave me a few months ago!

As for giving a bit of history I only do that with some of the more specific Aussie type cars, cars which you Northerners would not have known much about unless they have appeared in Europe.

Its only fair I do that.... after all my knowledge has been increased thanks to others here telling me when I ask what cars are that you have photographed and posted. Roundabouts and swings.

Plus its easier when its only a couple of days after taking the pics and I have the entry list on my desk in front of me.
Old 16 Mar 2022, 11:17 (Ref:4102748)   #5744
Tim Barry
Racer

United Kingdom
Rainham, Kent, UK
Tim Barry should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GORDON STREETER View Post
Antonia Loysen used to race one in the UK.
Old 16 Mar 2022, 17:35 (Ref:4102806)   #5745
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Soft spot for the Fairlady too. What a well inspired car it is under its two liter form.
Old 16 Mar 2022, 18:29 (Ref:4102811)   #5746
GCCheddaris
Veteran

England
Weymouth
GCCheddaris should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Barry View Post
Antonia Loysen used to race one in the UK.
Antonia has raced an incredibly diverse mixture of racing cars. As well as Formula Ford 1600 and 2000 cars she has raced a Formula Atlantic Chevron and shared a 1932 Citroen C4 Roadster with Celia Stevens in the 2010 Le Mans Classic.
Old 16 Mar 2022, 23:14 (Ref:4102836)   #5747
bauble
Veteran

England
Can't let EB steal the limelight;
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_5001.JPG   IMG_5007.JPG   IMG_5009.JPG  

IMG_5014.JPG   IMG_5015.JPG   IMG_5018.JPG  

Old 16 Mar 2022, 23:17 (Ref:4102837)   #5748
bauble
Veteran

England
Damn upstarts;
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_5029.JPG   IMG_5030.JPG   IMG_5035.JPG  

IMG_5060.JPG   IMG_5071.JPG   IMG_5065.JPG  

Old 16 Mar 2022, 23:21 (Ref:4102838)   #5749
bauble
Veteran

England
Nice bloke though;
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_5162.JPG   IMG_5163.JPG   IMG_5170.JPG  

IMG_5171.JPG   IMG_5175.JPG   IMG_5196.JPG  

Old 17 Mar 2022, 00:07 (Ref:4102842)   #5750
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
I cant get even close to the variety and quality of cars you have though Bob. Dont see things like Napier Railtons, Eccles Rapiers, Kurtis Kraft etc down our way so you are quite safe. Mention words like Connaught here and most people think you are talking about a Hotel, and a Birdcage is somewhere to keep a Cockatoo (or more)! Mention Cooper and someone will say my Grandad was a Cooper!

We do have a few "Bitza Specials" though.

Last edited by E.B; 17 Mar 2022 at 00:37. Reason: Spellink.