Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Other Motorsports > Bike Racing

Old 30 Oct 2005, 14:19 (Ref:1447546)   #1
pink69
Veteran

United Kingdom
Lincolnshire / Nottingham
pink69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Over achievers / Under achievers

Neil Hodgson - Over Achiever. Harsh maybe, but in 99 / 2000 whenever it was he battled walker for the BSB title, Walker had him beat and he only won it because Walkers bike went bang. Had it not have happened I can't of seen Hodgson getting the Works Ducati ride in 2003. I also think his 2003 title was a bit of a walk over. Ruben Xuas was the only real threat to him but he was inconsistant for too much of the year. Had the 4 cylinder 1000's been around in 2003, I don't think he'd have run away with it as much as he did or if he had a more consistant team mate either. houldn't have gone to Motogp as he's spent his whole career on superbikes and showed his style suited it more as he was shown up by Xuas on more than one occassion as he's had less time on Superbikes. Wasn't much of a threat in his early days in WSBK on Ducati and works Kawasaki either.

Ruben Xuas - Under achiever. Works Ducati rider, should really have been more of a title threat. First win at Oschersleben showed how good he is on his day but that day didn't come round often enough. Showed he can adapt quickly to new bikes by showing Hodgson up in Motogp but I think going to Motogp was a bad move for him. This year his been off the pace and outclassed by most.

Chris Walker - Under achiever. I dont think this is all Chris' fault tho. Should have won BSB title but for bike blowing up. Had he won the title I think he'd have a works Superbike ride now. Injuries have blighted his career too. Move to 500cc championship was bad idea. Showed he was not suited to style of 2 stroke bikes by falling off so much plus not really on the pace on lack lusture bike. Has made too many wrong career choices in my opinion or would have been a world superbike champion or top3 rider by now.

Gary McCoy - Over hyped rather than over achiever. So he won a few races, so what? Where was he all those other races in 500gps??? Mid pack at best. On his day could beat anyone, but like Xuas, doesn't have enough of those days.

Anthony Gobert - Under achiever. So much potential but llike Walker, never on the right bike....or for long enough. Had he got a decent, long term deal somewhere I feel he coud have been a serious WSBK player at some point.

Opinions? Or would anyone like to add anyone to this list....
Old 31 Oct 2005, 00:54 (Ref:1448001)   #2
asha
Veteran

asha should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
McCoy's career was highlighted by many injurys. Shame really.

Makes you realise how lucky rossi has been injury wise. If he can "park it" (the way that Mick was unable too) at the end of next year he will be an exceptional rider in more then one way.
Old 31 Oct 2005, 01:14 (Ref:1448006)   #3
Es Nes
Veteran

Es Nes should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
haga? nicky hayden?
Old 31 Oct 2005, 04:24 (Ref:1448046)   #4
pink69
Veteran

United Kingdom
Lincolnshire / Nottingham
pink69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Nicky Hayden won the AMA Superbike series before moving to Motogp. He's been improving every year since he's been in the series but everyone is being made to look a little shabby by Rossi. But compare him to riders who have had more experience on the MotoGP bikes, Biaggi, Barros, Caparossi and he's been out performing them most of this year.

I don't reckon Haga has under achieved, just not quite filled his potential yet. Runner up in 2000 to Edwards and title contender in 2004 shows how good he is. Didn't have the best time of it in GP's but not many superbike defecters have done.
Old 31 Oct 2005, 11:09 (Ref:1448250)   #5
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
haga big under achiever allthough the last half of this year he showed some metal and that next year he should be great.

the worlds biggest under achiever SETE GIBERNAU , Nuff said really.

Max Biaggi , Under achiever , I really hoped he would do better in the top class.

Carlos Checa should that guy even be on a bike ?

im not sure on over achievers as how can one over achieve ???

Rossi perhaps has been an over achiver , Ok valentino we know you are the best now get another 2 wheels and prove you are the greatest that has ever lived
Old 31 Oct 2005, 13:28 (Ref:1448365)   #6
Hazza
Subscriber
Veteran

Australia
Behind You.
Hazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Biggest over-achiver?

Kenny Roberts Jr.

He got given an oppertunity and siezed it with both hands firmly. Yes he might have been lucky with the rain in 2000 blah blah blah, but gosh diddly-arn-it over the course of the season he scored more points than anyone else.
Old 31 Oct 2005, 18:20 (Ref:1448596)   #7
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
haha, hazz, you are gonna get some serious replies to that one, most people on here are always slagging J8unior off! I agree with you though to be honest, he was superb the year before aswell, and I for one have never understood why the guy didnt move to anotehr team after the 4 stroke Susi proved to be a dud! He was quicker than Sete most of time on the same bike! Must be money or contarct stuff maybe!
As for Hodge underachieveing, well actually no! Who wouldnt jump at the chance to do GP on a semi factory bike, as Chris did a few years before that. Trouble is the teams dont want Brits so they always get the bum seats rather than the good ones!
Mladin, Bayliss in WSB, Reynolds in BSB, Lavilla this year in BSB, all have done more than I thught they would.
under achievers are most Japanese riders who give up as soon as they get a good ride. Look at any of them, Harada, Okada, Tamada, Ukawa, Itoh. They get a ride on the basis of a few one offs, and once ensconced in a team they prove dismally average!
Biggest ones of the lot though are Biaggi this year, both Xerox Duke riders, Ben and Eric Bostrom, Virgin Yamaha, Hector Barbera and Pablo Nieto! There you go!
Old 31 Oct 2005, 22:41 (Ref:1448877)   #8
asha
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazza
Biggest over-achiver?

Kenny Roberts Jr.

He got given an oppertunity and siezed it with both hands firmly. Yes he might have been lucky with the rain in 2000 blah blah blah, but gosh diddly-arn-it over the course of the season he scored more points than anyone else.
KRJR was amazing in 2000, on a seriously under-competitive machine!! Just look at how badly he got mugged at the end of the year (and the next year). And remember how he was leading the Assen GP his engine seized!! SERIOUSLY! When was the last time someone's engine actually sezied!! horrible crash too.

edit: Woahh their partner, Dorna don't like it, and fully do not accept linking to their media.
If that's the Kenny Roberts 2000 video you can find that in the media section of MotoGP.com iirc

If Corser can still ride and win championships, Kenny can too!

Last edited by Hazza; 1 Nov 2005 at 11:29.
Old 1 Nov 2005, 07:16 (Ref:1449072)   #9
Dani Filth
Race Official
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest
Dani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
maybe he can . but not in MotoGP ..
in 2000 the factory honda bike were worse than the West bikes .. Rossit cam in, Criville was having helth problems ..
he did ride well .. but other factors also contributed .

Ciao Marco
Old 1 Nov 2005, 07:32 (Ref:1449082)   #10
asha
Veteran

I guess the Corser reference in unfair, but it will be sad indeed if Kenny never again gets to ride a bike capible of winning a motogp race.
Old 1 Nov 2005, 09:12 (Ref:1449142)   #11
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Of the current crop, the biggest under-achiever is Max Biaggi. He was outstanding in 250s, and has the pick of whatever bike he wanted in the top class, but has consistently failed to deliver the goods. He wins a race or two in most seasons but never seriously challenges for a title.
Old 1 Nov 2005, 10:46 (Ref:1449251)   #12
Dani Filth
Race Official
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest
Dani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
his best season was probably his first one . wasn't the best Honda outthere and was against Mick .. after that he just faded .. and Valentino slightly accelerated that ..
but he still is a good rider ..

Ciao Marco
Old 1 Nov 2005, 13:14 (Ref:1449367)   #13
asha
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by asha

edit: Woahh their partner, Dorna don't like it, and fully do not accept linking to their media.
If that's the Kenny Roberts 2000 video you can find that in the media section of MotoGP.com iirc

yikes, sorry bout that... you get a slap on the wrist?