Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 2 Aug 2018, 15:17 (Ref:3840888)   #376
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post
A link to this would be appreciated.

An explanation of what you are trying to say would be appreciated. Some of it doesn't seem to make sense.

And this article from the BBC throws some light on why the three teams are not happy with the proposals about the changes to the ownership of Force India. It's not just about the money. https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/45026461
Racefans, racer.com, autosport all had references to it in their articles, love this demand I provide you with detailed references and dates on who said what. Multiple sources have all agreed and others have tweeted similar info, it's not my job to keep you up to date because reading multiple sources is hard.

And if you believe any of them are acting for the good of anything beyond their wallet I have some swamp land to sell you. It's purely about the money and the team finished above them, full stop, no other reason and I lose ANY respect for the teams that say otherwise.
Old 2 Aug 2018, 15:21 (Ref:3840890)   #377
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Chilli, I think that the reason that Renault are aligning themselves with McLaren and Williams is that, budget wise, they fall into the same category. Meanwhile, Mercedes and Ferrari are in a different league and, so it seems, are acting together off track to the detriment of all the other teams. And Renault don't want to join their club!

It's not known as the Piranha Club for nothing!
Old 2 Aug 2018, 15:39 (Ref:3840893)   #378
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadrun96 View Post
Racefans, racer.com, autosport all had references to it in their articles, love this demand I provide you with detailed references and dates on who said what. Multiple sources have all agreed and others have tweeted similar info, it's not my job to keep you up to date because reading multiple sources is hard.

You misread what was written.

Stroll Snr had offered a loan to Force India to be secured against 51% of the assets of Force India. However, because of the legal proceedings being taken by the Indian authorities against both Roy and Mallya and their transactions involving Force India, Stroll would not be permitted to take a lien against the assets of Force India. The loan may have been used to pay salaries, but that was not the sole purpose of the loan; it was to keep the team afloat.
Old 2 Aug 2018, 15:57 (Ref:3840896)   #379
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Chilli, I think that the reason that Renault are aligning themselves with McLaren and Williams is that, budget wise, they fall into the same category. Meanwhile, Mercedes and Ferrari are in a different league and, so it seems, are acting together off track to the detriment of all the other teams. And Renault don't want to join their club!

It's not known as the Piranha Club for nothing!
haha true!

agreed in terms of budget Renault, is on a far lower scale than Ferrari and Merc but time will tell if Renault are that much different than Merc or Ferrari in regards to how they view their commercial/supply opportunities in F1.

i believe Renault will have an extra PU supply for next year and i would imagine they want to sell it...we will see who takes it and what other Renault parts and fuel supplies that they take as part of the deal.

i suppose we will be able to judge the sincerity of their stance against satellite teams then.

certainly, imo, i dont think Renault would be taking this stance if Force India had a Renault deal.
Old 2 Aug 2018, 18:19 (Ref:3840918)   #380
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
bit of an unrelated question...

lets say FI winds down/becomes insolvent...then according to the concord agreement the new buyer (if there are new buyers) would not be entitled for payments based on FI's prior finishing record.

to circumvent this issue, Liberty would need unanimous consent from all the other teams to amend this.

this is the normal procedure (i think).

so my question is why Liberty would need this when they can presumably just sign a side deal with the new owners to give them this money before the FOM profits are allocated to the prize fund for future distribution? or perhaps even a signing bonus (in lieu of money they lost out on due to lack of unanimous consent) if the new buyers sign the next concord agreement early.

it seems to me this is what Bernie did and was able to make 'special' payments to any team he wanted to out of the fund.

so i guess my real question is if there any mechanism preventing this?

and if not, then isnt this all a bit of a storm in a teacup? or rather the fault here lies at the feet of Liberty as opposed to Williams, Mclaren, and Renault.

Last edited by chillibowl; 2 Aug 2018 at 18:24.
Old 2 Aug 2018, 19:13 (Ref:3840931)   #381
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post
bit of an unrelated question...

lets say FI winds down/becomes insolvent...then according to the concord agreement the new buyer (if there are new buyers) would not be entitled for payments based on FI's prior finishing record.

to circumvent this issue, Liberty would need unanimous consent from all the other teams to amend this.

this is the normal procedure (i think).

so my question is why Liberty would need this when they can presumably just sign a side deal with the new owners to give them this money before the FOM profits are allocated to the prize fund for future distribution? or perhaps even a signing bonus (in lieu of money they lost out on due to lack of unanimous consent) if the new buyers sign the next concord agreement early.

it seems to me this is what Bernie did and was able to make 'special' payments to any team he wanted to out of the fund.

so i guess my real question is if there any mechanism preventing this?

and if not, then isnt this all a bit of a storm in a teacup? or rather the fault here lies at the feet of Liberty as opposed to Williams, Mclaren, and Renault.
I think you would see Liberty either pay or loan the team the exact amount they would have been awarded under the agreement and tell Williams to pound sand about their legacy payment. Williams is looking very short-term and not thinking about their payment future and Bernie isn't in charge any more.
Old 2 Aug 2018, 19:17 (Ref:3840934)   #382
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
Quote:
You misread what was written.

Stroll Snr had offered a loan to Force India to be secured against 51% of the assets of Force India. However, because of the legal proceedings being taken by the Indian authorities against both Roy and Mallya and their transactions involving Force India, Stroll would not be permitted to take a lien against the assets of Force India. The loan may have been used to pay salaries, but that was not the sole purpose of the loan; it was to keep the team afloat.
No, what was tweeted by Chris and others was his action would not have been allowed under Indian law for exactly the reason you state. Somehow because you said it wouldn't be allowed to due not getting the lien, a basic tenant a loan in most cases, it's correct but when I said the SAME THING, I'm wrong?? Wow, do you always speak down to people or jut people online you think know less than you. And someone who asked a friend in international banking about the general idea of what was tweeted and was told the loan would not be approved as collateral requested has a prior lien on it. I actually do my homework and read before I post. Sorry you want it all spoon fed to you.
Old 2 Aug 2018, 19:42 (Ref:3840940)   #383
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Chilli, the answer is that Force India was, and might still be, insolvent. That is why the winding-up petition from the tax authorities (HMRC) was due to be heard in the commercial court. They dodged that bullet by finding enough cash to satisfy HMRC in full or part, but they obviously have a list of creditors waiting for their money.

Perez only stepped into the breach in the court because he hasn't had all his payments from the team for last year. How long was he meant to hold on.

The only payments that FOM made to any teams was the monies due to them. Sometimes, when all the other teams agreed, those payments were made early to a struggling team. But, as far as I am aware, FOM made no other "special" payments.

However, to the great credit of Mr E, he personally provided funds to a number of teams throughout his time at FOM. For example, he paid all, the salaries at Manor for at least one month, although something nagging at the back of my mind thinks that it was at least 3 months.

But those things he did privately and outside the glare of publicity. He was many things, but he cared deeply about trying to keep teams in F1 despite what he may have said in public. And provided that you remained on good terms with him, he could and would be a very good friend to the teams. You didn't have to always agree with him and you could have a reasoned argument with him, but as long as you respected his position in the F1 hierarchy and didn't try to insult him, he would remain a true friend.
Old 2 Aug 2018, 20:00 (Ref:3840948)   #384
justracing
Veteran

United Kingdom
West Sussex
justracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjustracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Surely anyone willing to invest in rebuilding Force India would not regard the loss of payments as a major issue since the team can be bought for something like 20% of its market value. I believe their debts amount to around £43 million and VJ was asking circa £250 million.
Joe Saward hints at this scenario
https://www.motorsportweek.com/joesaward/id/00287
Certainly someone on here has the daggers out for team Willy purely on an interpretation of their own. In my opinion Williams, Mclaren and Renault are perfectly justified in their actions in accordance with the existing concorde agreement. If it were my company under threat I would fight tooth and nail to gain any advantage, as has already been said, it is the piranha club!
Old 2 Aug 2018, 23:46 (Ref:3840978)   #385
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
What would give rise to a valuation of this team at a 250m pound level though?

It costs money to participate, so buying the team will never supply a financial return at this level, regardless of any external monies brought onboard (not that there seems to be too much spare real estate to plonk on new stickers)
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 3 Aug 2018, 09:05 (Ref:3841034)   #386
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post
it might be a moot point that Williams and Mclaren are making (this ship for satellite teams has already sailed) but nevertheless, i find myself agreeing with their sentiment.

along with Red Bull, these are the only teams with the clout to stand up to the manus and personally i think they deserve more support from the fans in this....surely most of us agree that the manus hold too much control as it is.

the one thing i really dont understand is why Renault is taking issue with this.

surely as a manufacturer they are looking to lock up suppliers for themselves and the more parts they can sell and thus defer the costs of their own works program the better.

if they feel strongly about this then they should advocate for a lower engine cost formula. rather they could work towards eliminating the conditions (high costs) that make running a satellite team a viable option.

but they are not going to do that. selling engines and parts is far too profitable.
Exactly and just look who Force India's biggest creditor is, Mercedes, the engine manufacturer.
Old 3 Aug 2018, 10:16 (Ref:3841047)   #387
Moneyseeker
Veteran

Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadrun96 View Post
I think you would see Liberty either pay or loan the team the exact amount they would have been awarded under the agreement and tell Williams to pound sand about their legacy payment. Williams is looking very short-term and not thinking about their payment future and Bernie isn't in charge any more.

Under carefull what you wish for regarding Williams position, IF the grid fell to 18 cars and with no prospect of a new team or manufacturers on the horizon, Liberty could revisit one of BE's proposals which was the 'works' teams of Renault, Mercedes and Ferrari - run a 3rd car each, that would really give Williams and McLaren something to think about....

a) Because they would be another 3 cars further down the grid
b) The works team would ask for more FOM cash to run a 3rd car each, thereby leaving less for the rest of the teams
Old 3 Aug 2018, 10:43 (Ref:3841057)   #388
justracing
Veteran

United Kingdom
West Sussex
justracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjustracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Chilli, the answer is that Force India was, and might still be, insolvent. That is why the winding-up petition from the tax authorities (HMRC) was due to be heard in the commercial court. They dodged that bullet by finding enough cash to satisfy HMRC in full or part, but they obviously have a list of creditors waiting for their money.
If I read the situation correctly Force India are not insolvent they are in administration.

From Joe Saward's blog:
"The first thing is to decide whether or not Force India has ever been insolvent, under the law. This is defined by the Insolvency Act of 1986, in which Article 123 covers the definition of insolvency and the process that exists to get there. In order to file a winding-up petition, a creditor must have evidence of what is called a Statutory Demand for money. The company has 21 days to pay. If this is not done, then the company is deemed to be insolvent and the creditor can then apply for a winding-up petition to get the money by the sale of assets after the company is closed down. Thus a winding-up petition is a pretty good indication that a company is (or was) insolvent, during the 21 days given to pay a Statutory Demand. However a winding-up petition is not valid unless it has been advertised in a publication called the London Gazette. If the winding up petition has not been advertised in the London Gazette then the court will not make the necessary winding up order. The winding-up petition may be advertised in court listings but this is not legally the same as it being in the London Gazette. And if an administration petition arrives instead, it can trump the winding-up petition. Thus was the company legally insolvent, or not?"

Under the terms of administration the team can be rescued by someone with deep pockets and would be eligible for all the FOM performance payments.

The argument from Williams, McLaren and Renault is more a dispute about a front runner(Mercedes/Ferrari) picking them up cheap and running it as 'B' team. Toto Wolff has already stated that they have no intention of doing this although by all accounts they are Force India's biggest creditor. Were this to happen it would effectively push team Willy and co further down the grid in terms of the performance gains to the factory supported team. As to the ridiculous assertion that Williams are objecting purely to achieve a financial gain, I think is way off the mark.
Old 3 Aug 2018, 10:58 (Ref:3841064)   #389
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by justracing View Post
If I read the situation correctly Force India are not insolvent they are in administration.

A company is insolvent when it is unable to pay it's bills and/or once it's liabilities exceed it's assets. And the company's accountant, whether internal or external, should advise the directors that they are or will be trading whilst insolvent, which is an unlawful act.

What Saward is highlighting is the technical route for declaring a company to be insolvent.

The two are not exactly the same.
Old 3 Aug 2018, 11:17 (Ref:3841072)   #390
greentrumpet
Racer

greentrumpet should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgreentrumpet should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Gotta feel sorry for Williams, possibly losing their best source of funds and their top driver in one hit.
Old 3 Aug 2018, 11:28 (Ref:3841078)   #391
justracing
Veteran

United Kingdom
West Sussex
Quote:
A company is insolvent when it is unable to pay it's bills and/or once it's liabilities exceed it's assets. And the company's accountant, whether internal or external, should advise the directors that they are or will be trading whilst insolvent, which is an unlawful act.

What Saward is highlighting is the technical route for declaring a company to be insolvent.

The two are not exactly the same.
Absolutely agree but here we are considering the exact letter of the law and technically at present they are not insolvent. I realise it's a bit of a mute point but under the terms of the concorde agreement it can have quite a lot of financial ramifications.
Old 3 Aug 2018, 11:31 (Ref:3841080)   #392
steve_r
Veteran

Lord Howe Island
European Capital of Culture 2008
steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by greentrumpet View Post
Gotta feel sorry for Williams, possibly losing their best source of funds and their top driver in one hit.
For all the good the money it is doing them... They were pushing Mercedes in Austria for the win a couple of years ago, and now with the benefit of the Stroll money, they are on the back row of the grid.
Old 3 Aug 2018, 11:35 (Ref:3841082)   #393
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I just checked. This saga has been going on since March 2016.
Old 4 Aug 2018, 13:05 (Ref:3841392)   #394
Dixon9
Rookie

Dixon9 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridDixon9 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
F1 would be more interesting if Ferrari, Mercedes and Renault were suppliers only and not factory entrants.

I've never been a fan of only 4 seats being able to challenge for titles, and realistically 2 because of orders.

Long live the colourful midfield.
Old 5 Aug 2018, 06:19 (Ref:3841530)   #395
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dixon9 View Post
F1 would be more interesting if Ferrari, Mercedes and Renault were suppliers only and not factory entrants.

I've never been a fan of only 4 seats being able to challenge for titles, and realistically 2 because of orders.

Long live the colourful midfield.

And even more realistically one contender because of complete technical superiority!
Old 5 Aug 2018, 21:20 (Ref:3841722)   #396
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
A Player For Force India?
Old 6 Aug 2018, 06:05 (Ref:3841766)   #397
dsg
Veteran

Thailand
Chonburi
dsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
Is there anything to suggest he's interested in financing a Formula One team?

If we're doing this for every Indian billionaire it could take a while.
Old 6 Aug 2018, 11:25 (Ref:3841820)   #398
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsg View Post
Is there anything to suggest he's interested in financing a Formula One team?

If we're doing this for every Indian billionaire it could take a while.
There is a sporting interest there... it’s the closest thus far..
Old 6 Aug 2018, 13:30 (Ref:3841844)   #399
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
Is there any reason to think Force India will be bought by an Indian concern? No-one has been among the rumoured buyers. Myself, I’m rather hoping for Michael Andretti.
Old 6 Aug 2018, 14:34 (Ref:3841851)   #400
Formulahistory
Veteran

Formulahistory should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I also hope for Andretti – that would be awesome!

Tags
diageo, force india, formula 1