Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 3 Apr 2002, 11:00 (Ref:250770)   #1
Aussie 1
Rookie

Aussie 1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Aussie V8 Supercars

I really Love the BTCC and DTM.Unfortunately we dont get alot of it here in Australia,but when it comes to Engine Sound, nothing beats our Thunder from Downunder. Yes the Aussie V8 Supercar Series, ( our local Racing Touring Cars )are the best in the world.The sheer ground shaking noise of these cars is Amazing.They are also regarded as the fastest Tin Tops In the world.A German Friend of mine was simply blown away when I took him to a race.
Old 3 Apr 2002, 13:26 (Ref:250896)   #2
StuiE
Veteran

StuiE should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
*cough* b**ls**t *cough*

"I think we broke something.......Traction" -Carl Edwards 19/8/06 MIS

05 - Peter Brock
Old 3 Apr 2002, 14:50 (Ref:250944)   #3
OVERSTEER
Veteran

England
Sheffield, England
OVERSTEER should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I love the BTCC, The DTM and now the Aussie V8 supercars (since I can watch them now) and the only thing I have to say is about this stupid rule about "kerb hopping" that I heard about the Clipsal 500 in Adelaide.
Old 3 Apr 2002, 17:40 (Ref:251019)   #4
kristof14
Veteran

kristof14 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i watched that race on motors tv today, i understand that the kerb hopping was for adelaide only as there was a much faster line if you cut straight across kerbs of the chicane i.e off the actual track. they enforced this rule to stop drivers who could easily take the proper line from cutting the corner! the aussie V8's are fantastic but i bet the DTM will have something to say about them being the fastest touring cars in the world!
Old 3 Apr 2002, 18:12 (Ref:251069)   #5
Speedworx
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northamptonshire
Speedworx should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The Australian V8 series is great.

I rate it better than the BTCC, not not as good as the DTM (yet)
Old 3 Apr 2002, 19:42 (Ref:251170)   #6
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Variety is the key in my opinion

-Aussie V8's - VERY large grids but two makes of car participate

-DTM - grids are very good but we have(at least last year we did) one domianting make, with only another works and an indie team with backdoor help from Audi

-BTCC - 4 works teams with a total of 5 different makes in the Touring Class. That's what matters to be honest !
Old 3 Apr 2002, 20:03 (Ref:251192)   #7
Speedworx
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northamptonshire
Speedworx should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
BTCC is rebuilding after a bad spell, but for me it doesn't have any familiar names.

The DTM has Jean Alesi, Karl Wendlinger and Bernd Schneider.

The Aus V8 has Wayne Gardner (well he was in Adelaide)
Old 3 Apr 2002, 22:54 (Ref:251399)   #8
kristof14
Veteran

kristof14 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
aussies also have paul radisich, but your right the BTCC does need to start attracting the big names again. however this will be difficult as few teams can afford the wages of these big stars and the whole point of the new rules was to reduce costs.

oh and this years DTM looks like its going to be much closer Opel managed to sort themselves out afterthe dog they built last year!
Old 3 Apr 2002, 23:00 (Ref:251405)   #9
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Thing is that as the crowds increase at BTCC meetings, manufacturers will have reason to throw more money at it, and if they can't do anything to the cars they may as well splash out on drivers.

I know the reasoning behind the new BTCC rules was to reduce costs, but I can think a repeat of the what happened to Super Touring is inevitable.

And it may only take one or two "big name" drivers to return to maybe persuade others to follow suit.
Old 3 Apr 2002, 23:47 (Ref:251425)   #10
O'Schumacher
Racer

United Kingdom
Bedfordshire, England
O'Schumacher should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I've just seen the 2 races on the (unfortunatley shorter) Adelaide track on Motors TV.

WOWEEEEE! What a pair of races. Close racing, panel bashing, wheel grinding, paint stripping, mirror banging action all the way. Milse better than the BTCC.

As for the DTM cars which always look like they're on rails, this was powersliding all over the place (especially with JAson Bright).
Old 4 Apr 2002, 02:47 (Ref:251465)   #11
mac
Veteran

mac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by kristof14
aussies also have paul radisich
Not to mention:
- Larry Perkins (former f1 driver)
- Max Wilson (former CART, f1 test and f3000 driver)
- Craig Lowndes (one of the top touring car drivers in the world and a former international f3000 driver).
- Marcos Ambrose (European FFord Champion. Has outpaced Button and Raikkonen in junior formulae. Ran out of money).
- Mark Skaife (widely recognised as one of the best touring car drivers in the world).
- Jason Bright (former IndyLights driver with one CART race under his belt. Also ran out of money).
- David Besnard (former Jr European Karting Champ & US FF2000 Champ).
- Neil Crompton (former American Touring Car Champion. Has tested Champ Car for Tasman).
- Russell Ingall (former Brit FFord Champ, FFord Festival winner and Marlboro Masters winner).

Not to mention a few other drivers that have competed in international series.

There is certainly nothing wrong with the field of drivers in V8s. There are some very taleted guys in there.
Old 4 Apr 2002, 05:41 (Ref:251528)   #12
Michael H
Racer

Michael H should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I feel sorry for you o/s people if you think the Adelaide race was good. It was very boring.
Watch the V8s at Bathurst and Phillip Island - they are at they're best at those tracks.
Old 4 Apr 2002, 07:45 (Ref:251575)   #13
StuiE
Veteran

StuiE should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
exactly right Mike H

"I think we broke something.......Traction" -Carl Edwards 19/8/06 MIS

05 - Peter Brock
Old 4 Apr 2002, 09:45 (Ref:251659)   #14
Aussie 1
Rookie

Yes, The DTM cars are awesome. Especially around corners, and braking.But I did read somewhere that the V8s definitely have the stick in a straight line..I Love them all anyway..The fans are the winners I think.
Old 4 Apr 2002, 09:55 (Ref:251665)   #15
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
only because they are 5 litres compared to DTM's 4 litres.

Check out the DTM vs Oz V8s thread.
Old 4 Apr 2002, 10:22 (Ref:251681)   #16
DNQ
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Australia
DNQ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well, from my point of view, here in oz, 20,000km away from you poms, I want to say that the V8's are in MY opinion not all they're cracked up to be.

They are big. And loud. And move around a lot. But...

- HRT wins EVERYTHING. They were a sec a lap faster than EVERYONE else at Adelaide....

- Overtaking? What's that. It doesn't happen that much now.

- The sport has drained other categories in the nation from securing sponsorship money. For companies, it's V8's of nothing.

- No variety. Two varieties...Ford or Holden. Same tyres...

But yes, the V8's are good now, but I am concerned that they are starting to slip...1996-1999, that was the really good times - I am just not happy with it really.

Of course, I am not glorifying DTM and BTCC - they are great too - but I tell you, the V8's are the BEST category in the world like they are made out to be.
Old 4 Apr 2002, 12:22 (Ref:251733)   #17
Michael H
Racer

Aussie 1 - the fans are the winners? OK, they are if they live in Europe, but as you know we can't watch the DTM on Australian TV. It is disgraceful. How do you get to see the DTM? The only coverage I've seen is on the DW-TV news on SBS the monday morning after the DTM rounds - 10 second reports in all.

Channel 10 should show the DTM, BTCC, and ETCC in a weekly 30 minute show, with one series of races per show.

Aussie 1 - does your German friend know if a tape of the DTM has been produced?
Old 5 Apr 2002, 01:42 (Ref:252339)   #18
cmotorsport
Rookie

cmotorsport should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
v8 supercars

i agree with you that our v8's are one of the most exciting catergorys in the world. lets not forget the Super Tourers especially the BTCC....
Old 5 Apr 2002, 04:47 (Ref:252424)   #19
Aussie 1
Rookie

Good point DNQ.But can I say that the V8s have never been better from a crowd perspective,and Tv coverage.Bigger crowds, more venues,more cars, this year, and more sponsorship, mean more money.The TV coverage is also going around the world, and the feedback particulaly from the States and New Zealand, as well as a growing following in Europe is very positive. Yes there are only 2 Manufactures, I wish there were more too. But Holden are reaping the rewards in the sales market, as Ford have done in the past.Please dont sell it short mate.Look, any car that can beat a Superbike,or a 500 cc around Philip Island, (Check Philip Island Track Records)has got something to say, in a BIG way..(Michael H) I cant find anything anywhere on Video on the DTM mate, Sorry..Cheers..
Old 5 Apr 2002, 04:58 (Ref:252428)   #20
mac
Veteran

mac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I agree with Aussie. While the V8s may have some limitations, I believe they are a fantastic category that give the fans good action. If the fans weren't happy, they wouldn't turn up - and they have certainly been turning up recently.

If you blokes weren't happy with the weekend's racing (particularly the last half of race 2), you are very hard to please. I think some of you have made up your mind, before the race actually takes place.

It is undoubtedly one of the premier touring car series in the world.
Old 5 Apr 2002, 05:19 (Ref:252436)   #21
Aussie 1
Rookie

Couldn't have said it better myself (mac).Cheers Mate...
Old 5 Apr 2002, 11:51 (Ref:252617)   #22
Michael H
Racer

I seriously beleive that people attend V8Supercar meetings purely for the noise of the cars - let's face it, there is no overtaking, and HRT dominates. How long can this last?

O'Schumacher - you say DTM cars look like they're on rails - I don't. I saw the battle between Alzen and Abt(or Aiello) last year on TV, and Alzen had his big black Merc powersliding out of slow corners, through chicanes. It was spectacular stuff. The car snapped its tail like a rattle snake.
Old 5 Apr 2002, 12:07 (Ref:252638)   #23
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The Adelaide races were boring, although the last half of race 2 wasn't too bad, although if Bright hadn't started off the back.............

As for record crowds at the moment, keep dreaming, if you believe what AVESCO says you'll believe anything.

Michael H - Totally agree
Old 6 Apr 2002, 06:30 (Ref:253196)   #24
Aussie 1
Rookie

(racer69) Why are you even on this Forum, when you have absolutely NO IDEA what the Hell you are talking about.It's quite clear that you dont like V8s.Fine. But listen Mate! There was 170,000 people in Adelaide. What gives. Are you Dumb! I have been going to the V8s for the last 20 years, and I go to every event, except Perth. And I can personally tell you RIGHT NOW, that the crowds have never been BIGGER. It is obvious that you dont attend, or you would know what you are talking about. But you dont.Take it from experience Mate, get your facts right before you write your ****, cause you just come off looking like a ******
Old 6 Apr 2002, 06:42 (Ref:253198)   #25
Aussie 1
Rookie

Aussie 1 has spoken.When the aussie gets on your back, there is No Way Out. I speak from experience as I have mates in the Game. That is why I go to all the Events....GAME OVER...