Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 6 Nov 2003, 04:50 (Ref:774435)   #1
DAVID PATERSON
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
DAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Post race scrutineering

It has been suggested to me by a colleague that after Adelaide, Sandown and Bathurst the engines of the top 10 finishers are compulsorily pulled down for inspection/measurement. He went on to say that this does not happen at other rounds and the teams know this in advance.

Can one of our insiders please confirm or deny this?
Old 6 Nov 2003, 05:13 (Ref:774442)   #2
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Confirm that it happened, or that it does not usually happen?

I understand there is nothing in the TEGA technical reports to support this... although TEGA does seal engines and pulls them down at their and the teams' convenience
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 6 Nov 2003, 05:27 (Ref:774447)   #3
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Interestingly, I understand that in a multiple car team, one car can be selected by the team as being the one where the seals are fitted. So #2 has had a few shots at having the engine sealed, while #1 does not appear to have had the same fate befall it.

Also, at Bathurst, the TEGA techies sealed 40 engines belonging to 20 cars.... for checking at a later date...
Old 6 Nov 2003, 05:36 (Ref:774450)   #4
Mark Webber
Veteran

Australia
Australia
Mark Webber has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally posted by GTRMagic
Interestingly, I understand that in a multiple car team, one car can be selected by the team as being the one where the seals are fitted. So #2 has had a few shots at having the engine sealed, while #1 does not appear to have had the same fate befall it.

Geezzzzzz!! That's a good rule isn't:confused: :confused:
Old 6 Nov 2003, 05:43 (Ref:774451)   #5
TSR
Veteran

Australia
Sutherland Shire
TSR has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I wonder which KRT car had the seal on it 15/51 my money is on car15 of CMcL, AP.
2015 V8Supercar Champion #5 PDA Mark Frosty Winterbottom
To Finish First, First you must Finish
Old 6 Nov 2003, 05:58 (Ref:774454)   #6
Onlooker
Veteran

Onlooker should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Or prior to the event you are aware that say 4th place will be having the fuel cell checked,3rd the rear end ratio,2nd the gearbox ratio's and the heads will be coming of 1st place and a select few will have say the rear end weight checked.f course anyone that is suspected of a breach will also be checked but hey imagine if you were leading the event had had heaps of grunt all day and then retired in the closing stages for some unforseen problem,you get nothing.
It is all purelly acedemic anyway as to my knowledge no one has ever been caught and penalised for cheating since the series began,so we must be the most law abiding citizens on the globe

"Montoya made some last minute changes to his suspension but it seemed to effect it's handling"-Classic
Old 6 Nov 2003, 06:09 (Ref:774458)   #7
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
I would have thought there would be some issues of interpretation for discussion, unless that particular process joins some others in the series in not being totally transparent.

The teams seem to have to have all of their control ECU's checked at most meetings, front and rear tracks, front axle weights, spoiler heights, correctness of gearing etc etc and you would imagine that given some of the parts arent bespoke, and are made inhouse, that there might be measurement differences...
Old 6 Nov 2003, 06:38 (Ref:774476)   #8
Wizzby
Veteran

Australia
Perth WA
Wizzby should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Can other teams also request another team's engine be looked at though if they feel a tech rule has been breached?
Old 6 Nov 2003, 06:46 (Ref:774482)   #9
TSR
Veteran

Australia
Sutherland Shire
In the form of motorsport that I particpate in the top 3 placegetters have the heads checked and everyone has the fuel,weight & ECU boxs checked. But then again it is Aussie Bernie TC v8supertaxi rules.
Old 6 Nov 2003, 06:53 (Ref:774486)   #10
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
One team has been using an aggressive engine management system technique for many years, that overfuels the engine to the extent that it splurts fire.... its not technically illegal but can produce more horsepower if the right configuration of components are melded together.

Thats not strictly speaking a breach of a tech rule, although with the fire and smoke that used to come out of the exhausts, questions were often asked but never raised with any official-type...
Old 6 Nov 2003, 07:06 (Ref:774495)   #11
Wizzby
Veteran

Australia
Perth WA
But they could raise a protest if they wished?
Old 6 Nov 2003, 07:25 (Ref:774506)   #12
TSR
Veteran

Australia
Sutherland Shire
MMMMM would not be a ***&***** coloured car would it.
Old 7 Nov 2003, 03:16 (Ref:775453)   #13
DAVID PATERSON
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
DAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Whizzby, if any competitor feels that another car is illegal they can fill out the form, pay the fee and lodge an official protest. The stated parts are then removed/disassembled/measured and if all is well the protestor loses his fee and must pay for any repair/rebuild necessitated by the inspection. If however, the protest is upheld, the protestor gets his money back and the protestee finds himself in hot water.
Old 7 Nov 2003, 03:25 (Ref:775456)   #14
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
It was a Ford actually....
Old 7 Nov 2003, 03:32 (Ref:775460)   #15
Wizzby
Veteran

Australia
Perth WA
I thought so, I guess it's really up to the other teams to keep on their toes....

Like having too many players on the footy field, it's up to the other team to protest it
Old 7 Nov 2003, 03:33 (Ref:775461)   #16
Onlooker
Veteran

Onlooker should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Fortunatly for us nobody cheats so therefore this has never occured in V8's ,what a lucky bunch we are to have such honest teams

"Montoya made some last minute changes to his suspension but it seemed to effect it's handling"-Classic
Old 7 Nov 2003, 03:51 (Ref:775470)   #17
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Sometimes teams get pinged though, Bargs and Larko had problems with the control ECU at one of the rounds, and got fined for the privilege....
Old 7 Nov 2003, 03:55 (Ref:775477)   #18
Mark Webber
Veteran

Australia
Australia
Quote:
Originally posted by DAVID PATERSON
Whizzby, if any competitor feels that another car is illegal they can fill out the form, pay the fee and lodge an official protest. The stated parts are then removed/disassembled/measured and if all is well the protestor loses his fee and must pay for any repair/rebuild necessitated by the inspection. If however, the protest is upheld, the protestor gets his money back and the protestee finds himself in hot water.
Thats fine but if somefor say pays and accuse's HRT of cheating then by the rules Mark's car can stay safe and untouched and the No2 car which maybe legal will be pulled down (by those rules)
Old 7 Nov 2003, 04:00 (Ref:775484)   #19
Wizzby
Veteran

Australia
Perth WA
I'm not sure on that one, I think the teams could specify which car to protest on..
Old 7 Nov 2003, 04:15 (Ref:775495)   #20
DAVID PATERSON
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
Of course they can. You must stipulate which car you are protesting on the protest form.
Old 7 Nov 2003, 04:25 (Ref:775502)   #21
tiko
Racer

tiko should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I can remember a few years ago at bathurst they pick 4 or 5 cars out of the top 10 for "random" engine measuring. i think 1st, 4th, 7th, 9th were all picked?!
Old 7 Nov 2003, 05:09 (Ref:775551)   #22
Mark Webber
Veteran

Australia
Australia
refer GTR's post above for multi car teams
Old 7 Nov 2003, 07:54 (Ref:775673)   #23
DAVID PATERSON
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
GTR, was referring to sealing, not inspections or protests.
Old 7 Nov 2003, 08:11 (Ref:775695)   #24
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
If we cast out minds back to 1988 at Bathurst, when TWR protested every Ford Sierra in the field (except info source Mr R.Eggenberger ), the teams even then managed to convince the technical gumbies that the multiple cars in the fleet were the same... so in the DJR camp, the FIA people molested the #18 car, while #17 and #28 remained untouched....

Except that at that stage, not all cars from the same fleet were the same.. as in this case.
Old 14 Nov 2003, 05:36 (Ref:782833)   #25
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Imagine I am a bit dense for a minute (hardly a stretch I know) but I have a hypothetical.

Imagine for a minute that a TEGA scrutineer put a seal on a Supercar engine. This seal cannot be broken unless in the presence of a TEGA technical delegate, or with permission from the category technical manager. So if a team does work on their engine that impacts on the sanctity of the seal, they require permission to do so.

So imagine if a team who has an engine sealed by a scrutineer, is seen removing conrods and pistons from the said engines, having taken the sump off the engine, and taken the crankshaft out to allow this to occur.

I wonder what the penalty would be for such a thing, if a TEGA technical person were to walk past a team doing this and have a mild heart failure at the thought and view of this happening.

Nothing untoward is suggested to be going on in the engine department, more that a seal wasnt broken, but voided by a different method of access to key engine components