Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 4 Apr 2001, 23:59 (Ref:77518)   #1
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Crash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCrash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
What do you guys think of the situation in the Konica sereis with 7 out of the top 10 guys not having a major sponosor?? I guess it is a sign that sponosors aren't going to settle for anything less than the Shell Series, with the massive crowds at te tracks. Saying that only 3-4000 people turn up to see the cars race in the flesh obviously isn't a very good sales point...

What do you guys think? Will it improve in time?

Last edited by Crash Test; 4 Apr 2001 at 23:59.
Old 5 Apr 2001, 02:21 (Ref:77577)   #2
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
I certainly hope so..its not a great spectacle watching all these plain whit commodores racing around..it gets a tad confusing at times.

I dont know if it will improve but i hope it does because these guys deserve a chance to show what they can do.

anyway if the likes of Fred Gibson and Craig lowndes cant get sponsorship what hope has a guy who no one knows in the Konica series.

P.S why doesnt Truckie parsons sponsor himself with his trucking company ??

I hope things improve for Winton as I am planning on going and I will not accept an undesized field !!!!!
Old 5 Apr 2001, 07:03 (Ref:77622)   #3
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Crash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCrash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Perhaps Trucky has too many $$$$$$ and can't be bothered buying stickers? Besides...he is only going in it to get a start at Bathurst.

There are more cars floating around at there that will make entrances...I think WW might make a one off appearance some time, and a few other guys might be starters...we hope.
Old 5 Apr 2001, 07:15 (Ref:77624)   #4
Ray Bell
Veteran

Ray Bell should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
No money for Gibson and Lowndes is no indicator for the Lites.

They would be after bulk dollars, while the lites runners would only be asking for smaller amounts and be prepared to compromise.

They do have television, don't forget, and the TV rarely shows how few are in the stands. But the television exposure is what they want, so the crowd size is irrelevant, unless the sponsors want to take people to the meeting to impress them as part of the deal.

As for 'Truckie' Parsons sponsoring himself: He's doing that, paying his own bills, but if he puts signs on the car he might lose a potential sponsor who might think he's happy to keep on that way...

Last edited by Ray Bell; 5 Apr 2001 at 07:18.
Old 5 Apr 2001, 07:27 (Ref:77628)   #5
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Actually Ray, the lack of crowd number have lost the Konica series a few competitors, and I'm just speaking of a few National Sports Sedans competitiors who considered jumping ship. These are self funding guys, who love to race in front of big crowds (this was last year- and even then the Truck meetings had much bigger crowds than the Lites). Their reasoning of "why would we race in V8s if we were only to be racing in front of 4000, when we get x thousand to the Sports Sedans" is fair enough for them...plus i'd hate to think of what the Avesco fees for competitors are...

But now that the Sports Sedans are on the SCS package- everything will be rosey there
Old 5 Apr 2001, 12:07 (Ref:77696)   #6
elephino
Veteran

elephino should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridelephino should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Sports Sedans with SCS rosey? Hmm...no TV at all, not exactly large grids...and racing at odd hours of the day too. Not a lot of practice (though more than FHolden).