Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 25 Aug 2008, 20:18 (Ref:2275179)   #51
Zola
Racer

United Kingdom
Zola should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Dieter & Jackie Oliver in my bros BMW
Old 25 Aug 2008, 20:22 (Ref:2275184)   #52
Zola
Racer

United Kingdom
Dieter, Jackie & Michael Steele - awesome battle all 3 had to the end..
Old 25 Aug 2008, 20:25 (Ref:2275185)   #53
Zola
Racer

United Kingdom
Mini Mania
Old 25 Aug 2008, 20:29 (Ref:2275188)   #54
Zola
Racer

United Kingdom
Kerb Crawling!!!
Old 26 Aug 2008, 07:37 (Ref:2275382)   #55
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Not the best weekend i have had racing. Worked for Alan Baillee ," he paid for my entry fee for Monday "Sat and Sun changed 4 sets of gears translated to our driver from Japan on what gear he should be at what corner then after some heated discussion with the team owner and the help of Mr Morgan we worked out he had different CWP to what we had been working out gear ratios for.Anyway Mr Baba went a lot quicker in the race and was "velly glatefull" for our help. Well done Marcus p6 and some respectfull times from the Modus in F3 race. Monday was my day in the FF2000 race after one lap my trusty Delta would not pull over 5000rpm so i was P13 on grid. Cleaned out carb fuel pump and set of on a charge in the race only to last 2 laps and i fell off. Had some great races this year so no complaints ,i know we have all been there but sure is a long drive home when you have had a bad day.Mallory tomorrow with the mighty Galaxie and the best breakfast in the UK.
Old 26 Aug 2008, 08:01 (Ref:2275400)   #56
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by terence bower
Hope it goes well Zef,and indeed for all those going,shan't be able to take a drive up as planned though.Sick friend takes precedence.
by my reckoning Zef had a class win - makes the journey worthwhile!
Old 26 Aug 2008, 08:08 (Ref:2275407)   #57
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If thats correct Simon,well done Zef,can we look forward to a repeat at Spa.
Sorry to hear that Iain,hope all goes well tomorrow.

Last edited by terence; 26 Aug 2008 at 08:10.
Old 26 Aug 2008, 08:27 (Ref:2275422)   #58
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
watched U2TC on Sat, great dice both ends of the pack, Madge and the Abarth where nose to tail for most of it, looked like they where having fun. I think I'd have been lost by the leaders and ahead of the tail so possibly a lonely drive if I'd done it, theres little midfield competition in App K at the moment, I find that strange as its the most accessible part of the grid surely?

the HSCC/HRSR tin tops had a varied grid and as I'd hoped I was in the thick of it. I've only been to OP once in 2004, that visit was for a 6th signature more than anything so doesn't have much relevance as far as pace/performance goes.

I think its one of the most challenging circuits I've ever raced on, theres no where you can relax for a second without trying to get the car settled or positioned, mistakes are very easy to make, but get a corner and exit right and its very rewarding, not once did I get a 'perfect' lap in, if such a thing exists for me! the fact I set my fastest lap one from the end of the race is testament to that. a 2:15 in Q and 2:14 in the race I was reasonably pleased with, especially as most of the race I was glued to the back of something rear engined (I'm sure the car ran hotter than normal as well!)

My main target was reigning Champ Simon Benoy in the No1 imp, 1s faster in qualifying ,and the Reads in their anglia, just ahead of Simon. I got away cleanly, passed the imp,and the Anglia, however the Cope BMW and another imp hadn't put their pipes out, let alone their clutches so we all had to weave round them, the other imp went nuts once he got away and spun exiting Cascades onto LAkeside on the first lap, we all saw it and missed him (I think his view of the corner must have been partially blocked by some rouge lake mist or something!) the Cope BMW tore past me down lakeside and we settled down . . . a bit. I got taken by another imp (theres 4 of them)at the start, the nature of the cars means I'm quicker at some parts they vice a versa, I outbraked myself into Brittens so I didn't rear end one, clipped a curb, lost position/traction and got overtaked by Simon, who promptly got past the red imp and was away, I struggled like hell to get past the imps all day, caught up, looked for gaps but couldn't get the last 10 feet here and there, eventually I got one back when we lapped Arthurs Rapier, I took a wide line and batter traction with it, another I got when he out braked and spun into Lodge, I'd outbraked myself at Lodge a few laps earlier trying to get up the inside and ran wide losing the position again, the pressure eventually paid off.

The Cope BMW caught me at the very end, noticably faster on the straights than me, I can only guess why he was behind. Simon was well ahead by now, not sure I'd have stayed with him if I hadn't been behind the other imps, and I hadn't seen the Read ANglia for a while, unfortunately they retired a few laps from the end with Diff problems I think.

I got lapped by the leaders on the last lap, Dan Cox had a great drive to win from 10th on the grid after sheared crown wheel bolts curtailed his qualifying.

We have some work to do now before Spa as a clonk from the transmission mid race didn't sound great and a banshee like wail from the rear end post race didn't sound too pleasant either!

only real gripe was no mains hook ups in the Paddock, not that we could get in it, and for some stupid reason we grabbed some food from the cafe, woeful crap and hideously priced, the Waitrose organic fillet steak I cooked on Sunday night was cheaper than a roadkill burger on Mondays menu!

Last edited by zefarelly; 26 Aug 2008 at 08:37.
Old 26 Aug 2008, 08:33 (Ref:2275430)   #59
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by simon drabble
by my reckoning Zef had a class win - makes the journey worthwhile!
1: you've got to be in it to win it

2: to finish first first you have to finish (and start for that matter)

Last edited by zefarelly; 26 Aug 2008 at 09:27.
Old 26 Aug 2008, 09:23 (Ref:2275458)   #60
Zola
Racer

United Kingdom
This was my first time at Oulton and have to say what a fantastic circuit - loved it. We did a 2.09 but a spin at Druids did some damage to flywheel 'i think' and had to retire 40 mins in.... doh.....
Old 26 Aug 2008, 10:06 (Ref:2275477)   #61
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
I'll also add that theres still no recognition of App K within the HSCC/HRSR tin tops, and even the programm doesn't expplain the difference in lamens terms, ie GP2/GP5

I know a few of the competitors can't see/won't acknowledge the difference but I thought there was going to be an App K podium, or acknowledement ? didn't Roger moot the idea last year ? IF the HRSR/HSCC are serious about getting more App K cars out then they need to offer them some incentive, the cars are clearly not competitive with HRSR spec cars although can race happily/cleanly/safely together.

We can't all afford £2k Euro jaunts every other weekend. or more to the point we want to race with a good UK club. There where more App K saloons there this weekend than HRSR spec so we know the cars are out there.
Old 26 Aug 2008, 10:22 (Ref:2275485)   #62
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by zefarelly
I'll also add that theres still no recognition of App K within the HSCC/HRSR tin tops, and even the programm doesn't expplain the difference in lamens terms, ie GP2/GP5

.................................................................................................... ........................

We can't all afford £2k Euro jaunts every other weekend. or more to the point we want to race with a good UK club. There where more App K saloons there this weekend than HRSR spec so we know the cars are out there.
And yet this was exactly what the CTCRC (CSCC as was) offered but everyone left them. Go figure as they say.
Old 26 Aug 2008, 10:59 (Ref:2275496)   #63
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!
Who was thae driver Pairing?
Old 26 Aug 2008, 11:34 (Ref:2275521)   #64
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Peter the problem is that HRSR race with HSCC who always have good meetings and in some owners cases other cars running. If given the choice woudl you prefer to be part of an HSCC meeting like Gold Cup or CTCRC meeting? And that is not meant to be rubbishing CTCRC merely pointing out how good HSCC are...
Old 26 Aug 2008, 11:42 (Ref:2275529)   #65
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
with all due respect to the CTCRC, FiA is an invitation class and we don't all want to race on Stowe circuit or Lydenn for ten minutes.

The HSCC/HRSR have this year got a good mix of long races, shorter races and double headers. I discussed with Morning Gents yesterday the possibility of getting a longer race or a double header at Cadwell next season to entice more saloons out, its in the middle of bloody nowhere and needs more support, to get it it needs to offer a worthwhile reason to go, a longer race doesn't necessarily appeal to all the HRSR cars, so if that doesn't materialise a double header should, an hours track time over the weekend makes it worth serious consideration even if you live in the tropical south!

This year has been their best for sometime and I'm feeling inclined to do what I can to see it continue to do so for those of us with App K cars, many are still staying at home (the HRSR boys are quite capable of lookingafter themselves!)
Old 26 Aug 2008, 12:01 (Ref:2275543)   #66
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Off topic comment alert
I have to type this or my brain will explode!

I wasn't referring to now.

Back in the 90's there was a good championship, they made sure the App K classes were catered for in the hope that it would expand, but for the reasons you state (a misplaced perception) they lost entries. That was about the time that they imposed L or M section tyres too. However it appears that what you are really saying is that you'll race but only if the club gets big events?

CTCRC has been to Oulton, Brands, Snet, Combe as well as Lydden etc. As someone said "you have to be in it to win it". Likewise if no one enters there's no club to race with.

Being pragmatic, if the HSCC/HRSR is where people want to race because it gets the big events, they'll have to put up with the two classes of car and as such the App Ks will generally always be slower. I understand there was a good entry of App K cars for the last event but will that be the same at the next lower key event?

If you really want to make a championship for App K cars then you might approach the CTCRC and get them on board. I know they'd be delighted to resurrect their championship.

I should point out that currently I have nothing to do with the CTCRC, not even a member, but I do think you've given the wrong impression there.

Thanks for reading, you've been a wonderful audience. Don't forget to try the veal and tip your waitress. We now return you to the topic
Old 26 Aug 2008, 12:03 (Ref:2275548)   #67
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
I think it might be one of the rent a ride BMW's
Old 26 Aug 2008, 13:43 (Ref:2275608)   #68
SZRacer
Racer

England
North Cotswolds
SZRacer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSZRacer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Far be it for me to comment, and I'm certainly not in any way a moderator (I'm not worthy!), but isn't this getting a little bit off-topic for the Gold Cup.

Mr. Moderator, would this be better being split off into a 'App K Saloons vs. Not' thread?

James
Old 26 Aug 2008, 13:49 (Ref:2275611)   #69
DanWray
Rookie

England
DanWray should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett
Being pragmatic, if the HSCC/HRSR is where people want to race because it gets the big events, they'll have to put up with the two classes of car and as such the App Ks will generally always be slower.

The HRSR cars should potentially be quicker than the App K cars. But looking at the times from this past weekends races at Oulton, presuming both the U2TC and HRSR races were held in similar weather conditions, the U2TC cars were more than a match!
Old 26 Aug 2008, 13:53 (Ref:2275617)   #70
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!
Reason for asking.A mate called today who was driving one of those at Oulton and told me the meeting was low on entries and people.Didn't tell me anything about an incident!Just checking
Old 26 Aug 2008, 14:08 (Ref:2275621)   #71
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
they should be shouldn't they Dan, I think conditions where similar, a bit oily on Sunday I thought.

the top3 U2TC drivers are pros and several seconds quicker than the rest, take them out and HRSR class C is quicker.

the spread of times is the same accross the field however. and thats a combination of prep levels/standards, driver ability and car type. most of the slower cars where older, smaller and or relatively standard.
Old 26 Aug 2008, 14:10 (Ref:2275622)   #72
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Hadfield, Derbyshire (UK)
Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by john ruston
meeting was low on entries and people.
Low on entries? If you mean specifically U2TC, 27 cars (programme figure) is a pretty healthy entry list in my book. If you mean the meeting in general, the lowest was Historic Formula 2, with 17 cars - not a full grid, but more than enough to ensure a good race. I don't think a 16-race programme with reserves listed for five of the races can really be classified as 'low on entries'...
Old 26 Aug 2008, 14:12 (Ref:2275624)   #73
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
it may be possibly slightly off topic, but its not often we get direct comparissons and it is valid conversation about 2 specific OPGC races.

Since no one else has anything to say, constructive or otherwise, on the whole weekend I'm more than happy for it to continue.

oh, I thought the Guards split was a goiod idea, all the HSCC need to do now is Offer a pre66 App K enduro or 3 to the mix instead of offering their spare track time out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SZRacer
Far be it for me to comment, and I'm certainly not in any way a moderator (I'm not worthy!), but isn't this getting a little bit off-topic for the Gold Cup.

Mr. Moderator, would this be better being split off into a 'App K Saloons vs. Not' thread?

James
Old 26 Aug 2008, 14:20 (Ref:2275628)   #74
Mark Griffiths
Racer

United Kingdom
Cheshire, U.K.
Mark Griffiths should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Only 19 showed up for U2TC, but there were some full grids. However, it did feel a bit flat compared to, say, the "Chevron" meeting a couple of years ago. It's becoming just another HSCC event. It needs something to perk it up a bit- a few years back you could see the likes of Moss, Salvadori, Stewart, Brabham, Redman etc. There didn't seem to be any kind of focal point- certainly not the Lola display. The weather didn't help matters much. The crowd was probably a little bit down on the last couple of years.
Old 26 Aug 2008, 14:24 (Ref:2275633)   #75
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Hadfield, Derbyshire (UK)
Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by zefarelly
I think conditions where similar, a bit oily on Sunday I thought.
If I remember correctly, about five minutes into your race one of the Lotus Cortinas dropped oil from Bailey Bridge (oops, Warwick Bridge!) all the way round Lodge, probably further, when his engine blew pretty spectacularly.

The track will always be oily on the third day of a meeting (particularly historics ), especially with no overnight rain (as far as I know) on Sunday to wash it off.