Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: trackrooms.co.uk Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Trackside

Old 15 Sep 2010, 07:58 (Ref:2759610)   #1
JimW
Veteran

United Kingdom
Worcestershire, UK
JimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The New Donington - and Developments

Now that Donington Park is up and running again; this might be a good place to collect views on the place and to keep up to date with developments and good rumours!

Regards

Jim
Old 15 Sep 2010, 11:26 (Ref:2759723)   #2
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Spectating as of Sept 2010:

You can get from Redgate round to McLeans (a substantial area of the outfield). The view from the hill under Starkey's Bar is great, practically half the track in one sweep of the head.

McLeans to Coppice is closed off.

The infield is completely out of bounds. The slope overlooking the Old Hairpin (as mentioned in the other thread) is no longer there, having in large part been cut away for the planned infield loop. The ground is in an unfinished state, with some fairly dangerous fall risks in parts, and a couple of large pools of water. Even getting to most of the infield marshal posts has to be done from the track (or by crossing it).

The track as of Sept 2010:

The parts of the track that were dug up have been re-laid. Drivers at the Masters Series event were quite vocal about how well it had been repaired.
The big change is that the right-left Esses preceding the start-finish straight have been moved back about 75 yards or so and have a much quicker profile than they had, so once the first lap is over cars are getting significantly higher speeds down the pit straight and are entering Redgate much more quickly. This seems to have made Redgate and Hollywood even more of an overtaking point than they already were... it remains to be seen how busy the marshals are going to be on posts 2 thru 6 this coming weekend!

I'm really looking forward to it
Old 15 Sep 2010, 12:01 (Ref:2759748)   #3
JimW
Veteran

United Kingdom
Worcestershire, UK
JimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid

One unfortunate development is that there is a patch of gravel just behind the curb on the driver's left part of the new Goddards. Result is that gravel is always and every race spread on the track.

Even if we can't put a concrete barrier there, we need the gravel removed. It has no safety feature and does not act as a deterrent to corner cutting.

Tyre Bale?

Regards

Jim
Old 15 Sep 2010, 12:27 (Ref:2759757)   #4
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greem View Post
The view from the hill under Starkey's Bar is great, practically half the track in one sweep of the head.
Like this

The section of the infield at Redgate looks to be untouched, however allowing access to that section only would mean fencing off the rest of the infield first so don't think that's very likely.

The bulk of the infield is going to need some serious earthmoving, probably bringing back much of the earth removed over the last year. Realistically I don't see the infield being re-open before 2012.

Autosport mentioned a few weeks back about work being done to Redgate run-off and spectator backing over the winter - moving Goddards has meant the entry speed to Redgate has increased. Can't remember where I saw it but seem to recall reading somewhere that there were plans to build an off-road stage on the site of the proposed new pits.
Old 16 Sep 2010, 07:18 (Ref:2760195)   #5
JimW
Veteran

United Kingdom
Worcestershire, UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by redshoes View Post
. . .
Can't remember where I saw it but seem to recall reading somewhere that there were plans to build an off-road stage on the site of the proposed new pits.
I thought I had read "a kart circuit" but perhaps they are off-road karts.

Jim
Old 16 Sep 2010, 08:19 (Ref:2760214)   #6
RCMADD
Racer

England
derby
RCMADD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimW View Post
I thought I had read "a kart circuit" but perhaps they are off-road karts. Jim
good idea that..these are popping up all over the place.
Old 21 Sep 2010, 10:18 (Ref:2762392)   #7
Tim the Grey
Veteran

Wales
Across the M40 from Gaydon...
Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!
I'd like to see that 'infield loop' finished and tarmaced(sp)? It looks fabulous from the Old Hairpin, and in the scheme of things, shouldn't cost that much to do? If the earthworks were stabilised, and made safe, it should ADD to the viewing potential too.

I cannot see why there shouldn't be a tarred and dirt kart facility. Loads of room as said up at Coppice inside. With some care, it may even be possible to double up the use, by making this area something for the Super Motard boys? Maybe even add a couple of short loops to make it suit MotoX types? If possible, try and get 2 events running at the same time, as Silverstone manage with Stowe circuit.
Old 21 Sep 2010, 11:01 (Ref:2762415)   #8
JimW
Veteran

United Kingdom
Worcestershire, UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim the Grey View Post
I'd like to see that 'infield loop' finished and tarmaced(sp)? It looks fabulous from the Old Hairpin, and in the scheme of things, shouldn't cost that much to do? If the earthworks were stabilised, and made safe, it should ADD to the viewing potential too.
I agree with you about the infield loop. I think it would make a much better club circuit. I do see some difficulties in that it has/would take away a lot of spectator standing area and getting many people close enough to see could be a challenge.

But more importantly; lets have Donington give some attention to getting what is there into good shape. The work done by Adroit has made the track better than ever in that the Goddards re-work is so much better than before. Some issues with the gravel trap failing to penalise those who short cut it.

Perhaps most worryingly is the continuing state of the toilets which still vary from non-existent through poor to appalling. We need to attract spectators and families, not repel them.

Regards

Jim
Old 24 Sep 2010, 13:15 (Ref:2763998)   #9
Tim the Grey
Veteran

Wales
Across the M40 from Gaydon...
Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!
The simple answer to Goddards could be a 'slot in' barrier to FORCE cars onto the grey bit, or up the escape road. Could even have, a la Nurburgring, a 'bypass' for the chicane, but with tye barrier weaving required, if you overshoot? Seeing as the Old Goddards is still there?

Failing that, draconian penalties for gravel scattering, without sufficient provocation?
Old 28 Sep 2010, 15:44 (Ref:2766121)   #10
medius
Veteran

England
Media Office hiding from the rain
medius should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmedius should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
There was a small issue at BTCC the other weekend, the exit kerb at the Old Hairpin was getting a lot of use and a pothole appeared at the end of the kerb. A JCB with a small bucket of dirt was brought in after the second Porsche race and was checked after every subsequent race.

Heres my pic:

Old 28 Sep 2010, 16:22 (Ref:2766153)   #11
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Surely that sort of wear and tear is perfectly acceptable - after all, the tyres are supposed to be on the black bit after all!
Old 29 Sep 2010, 21:51 (Ref:2766884)   #12
danny87
Rookie

danny87 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Does anyone know why most of the track was closed off to spectators at the recent truck racing, was it due to safety reasons? I was so looking forward to watching them going into the old hairpin.
Old 29 Sep 2010, 22:16 (Ref:2766898)   #13
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
certainly historically most of the outside of the circuit has been closed to spectators during the trucks for exactly the reason you mention - safety. i'm not sure but didn't they only open the inside of the circuit for trucks sometimes?
Old 30 Sep 2010, 16:54 (Ref:2767283)   #14
marshal_man
Racer

United Kingdom
Taunton, Somerset
marshal_man should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Its so good to see Donington back up and running once again.
Its not brilliant and alot from a marshals and speccys point a view can still be improved by i guess and hope that comes with time.
Just a slight bit of polish work.
Old 15 Dec 2010, 20:54 (Ref:2804912)   #15
I Rosputnik
Veteran

United Kingdom
Livingston, Scotland
I Rosputnik should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridI Rosputnik should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Any idea if Donington will get it's pride and joy back, the Dunlop bridge?

If they can't get it back up, then I would have no issues with someone designing and building a sucuessor to it.

It's great to see Donington Park back up and running. Sure they didn't get F1, but at least they're getting two world championships and a few international events for next year. After the fiasco, I think it's now safe to let Silverstone bear the burden of F1, while Donington, Brands and Snetterton can manage other important series. (I wish I could add Knockhill to that list, simply because I live about an hour away from it.)
Old 16 Dec 2010, 09:36 (Ref:2805057)   #16
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by I Rosputnik View Post
Any idea if Donington will get it's pride and joy back, the Dunlop bridge?
It's "in storage" somewhere within the grounds of the Park. As far as I can recall it cannot be reinstated where it was because the MSA (or the FIA) won't sanction it.

There was talk a while ago, though, of having it introduced as a "feature" on another part of the site... perhaps as an entrance, or a gateway to something.
Old 16 Dec 2010, 12:12 (Ref:2805106)   #17
Delenn
Rookie

England
Delenn should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
It's "in storage" somewhere within the grounds of the Park. As far as I can recall it cannot be reinstated where it was because the MSA (or the FIA) won't sanction it.

There was talk a while ago, though, of having it introduced as a "feature" on another part of the site... perhaps as an entrance, or a gateway to something.
The Dunlop bridge is safe in storage. I read it has been checked and it is all there.
Apparently, the MSA has been concerned for some time about the narrowness of the track at the Dunlop bridge, together with the chicane just before the start-finish line.
In "new Donington", the chicane issue has been resolved, and the MSA would prefer the Dunlop bridge not to return to its previous location.
I, together with a good number of others, have made a donation towards rebuilding the Dunlop bridge somewhere else on-site, and I believe Kevin has confirmed that is that plan. Also in the plan is to bring back the Spitfire (now it has been repaired), as well as preserve the plug, Bluebird, the famous clocks and Redgate Lodge. Any of these items (including Redgate Lodge) may be moved elsewhere on site, but as I heard last a few months ago, Kevin and the Donington management were concentrating on building the on-track action for 2011, rather than repairing/remodelling the infield, rebuilding the bridge or anything else.
This info is mostly from stuff online, so if anyone has more recent info, then listen to them.
Old 16 Dec 2010, 12:21 (Ref:2805108)   #18
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:

As I heard it (and I think maybe mentioned on here previously) because the circuit licence had lapsed the new licence application meant that some thing had to chenge - hence the new chicane arrangement - and one of those was that the entire section of track where the bridge was had to have a wider run-off area on the inside. So the armco and fencing has been moved back and therefore the bridge as it existed would not be wide enough no matter if there are any other objections to the concept or not.

To make a wider span for a new bridge would require something rather substantial and I would imagine that anything that attempted to emulate half a tyre would need far more height than would be pracical even if there were no airport height constraints for structures at the circuit.

In a worst case scenario I suppose it might be reinstated somewhere that results in views across the circuit being blocked. Once the in field is fucntional again (I hope that should not be 'If.... ' ) there would be a strong case for some sort of access (tunnel?) from the north side of the circuit but is may be more appropriate to re-use the Dunlop bridge, if viable, as decoration outside the circuit area. Its original use as a pedestrian access facility can be fulfilled by the old Coppice tunnel (greater capacity) so long as the new tunnel is finished and brought into use.

Or so I would imagine. But then, what do I know?
Old 16 Dec 2010, 12:26 (Ref:2805111)   #19
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by grantp View Post
As I heard it (and I think maybe mentioned on here previously) because the circuit licence had lapsed the new licence application meant that some thing had to chenge - hence the new chicane arrangement - and one of those was that the entire section of track where the bridge was had to have a wider run-off area on the inside. So the armco and fencing has been moved back and therefore the bridge as it existed would not be wide enough no matter if there are any other objections to the concept or not.

To make a wider span for a new bridge would require something rather substantial and I would imagine that anything that attempted to emulate half a tyre would need far more height than would be pracical even if there were no airport height constraints for structures at the circuit.

In a worst case scenario I suppose it might be reinstated somewhere that results in views across the circuit being blocked. Once the in field is fucntional again (I hope that should not be 'If.... ' ) there would be a strong case for some sort of access (tunnel?) from the north side of the circuit but is may be more appropriate to re-use the Dunlop bridge, if viable, as decoration outside the circuit area. Its original use as a pedestrian access facility can be fulfilled by the old Coppice tunnel (greater capacity) so long as the new tunnel is finished and brought into use.

Or so I would imagine. But then, what do I know?
But was it actually a footbridge or just an ornament? Although I have vague memories of walking over it years ago, I seem to remember looking at it more recently and not seeing any walkway at all...
Old 16 Dec 2010, 12:30 (Ref:2805113)   #20
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIVA GT View Post
But was it actually a footbridge or just an ornament? Although I have vague memories of walking over it years ago, I seem to remember looking at it more recently and not seeing any walkway at all...
I don't think it had been used for some time but it was originally a footbridge iirc mostly used for only the biggest meetings and there is a gate in the perimeter wall related to where it was.
Old 16 Dec 2010, 12:47 (Ref:2805123)   #21
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by grantp View Post
I don't think it had been used for some time but it was originally a footbridge iirc mostly used for only the biggest meetings and there is a gate in the perimeter wall related to where it was.
OK Grant, thanks. As I said, although I had a vague memory of walking over it many years ago, the last time I looked it just looked like a framework with no room for a walkway. (I just assumed my memories of Le Mans & Donington had somehow become mixed up!)

Last edited by VIVA GT; 16 Dec 2010 at 12:48. Reason: spelllling!
Old 16 Dec 2010, 12:58 (Ref:2805127)   #22
The Fat Clerk
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Bishopscourt
The Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridThe Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Tell you what, I reckon it's a much nicer circuit to drive on without the Dunlop Bridge, you get more sense of space.
Old 16 Dec 2010, 13:06 (Ref:2805132)   #23
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delenn View Post
I, together with a good number of others, have made a donation towards rebuilding the Dunlop bridge somewhere else on-site, and I believe Kevin has confirmed that is that plan.
So did I. I would suspect a good number of Tenthers did too!

Now, all I'm waiting for is my trackday invitation...
Old 16 Dec 2010, 13:07 (Ref:2805135)   #24
JimW
Veteran

United Kingdom
Worcestershire, UK
The cladding still exists but will not go back across the new, wider wall-to-wall Dunlop straight.

The steelwork was sold as scrap in the dying days of the last leaseholders.

So even erecting the cladding as a ceremonial gateway somewhere would be fairly expensive.

Frankly there are lots and lots (and lots and lots . . . ) of other work needed on which money would be better spent at the moment.

Regards

Jim
Old 16 Dec 2010, 13:25 (Ref:2805144)   #25
GrahamH
Rookie

England
Bedfordshire
GrahamH should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I drove the re-opened circuit at the CSCC meeting in October.

The new track surface is excellent, maybe better than the old surface, which can only be a good thing.

As for the chicane, I thought that the opening it up a bit has made it an improvement on the previous version. It seems to be more of a challenge by being that bit quicker: It's certainly more fun.

As for any extra investment, rather than spend money on creating extra sections of circuit "infield", my preference would be for an upgrade to the paddock facilities, and to generally clean the place up. It could just do with feeling more modern and cared for. A good model for this would be the kind of work MSV did after taking over Snetterton, Cadwell and Oulton Park.

Overall, it's great to have Donington back, and the people involved have done a really good job considering the recent difficulties.