Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Trackside

Old 15 Jan 2011, 18:22 (Ref:2816126)   #1
neilmurg
Rookie

United Kingdom
Esher, Surrey
neilmurg should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Spa advice please, race novice

I'm going to Spa this year for my first F1 experience, I'm taking my 18yo son.
The initial plan is to get maybe grandstand 4 for the weekend and camp out at the circuit for convenience and atmosphere.
Questions:
Any advice / handy hints?
Should I grandstand for Sunday and try out general areas the rest of the time?
Can we get in the pit lane any time (for less than a new mortgage)?
Pitch a tent / sleep in the car / get a hotel?
Will I need my own cooking kit?

any feedback appreciated
Old 15 Jan 2011, 22:49 (Ref:2816219)   #2
andrewc
Veteran

andrewc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I've only been to Spa once but we went for the whole weekend, and was cheaper than going to Silverstone for race day.

Race day you had little choice but to bag your place fairly early and stay there. However for the rest of the time we moved around.

We camped in a motorhome so fairly civilised (for camping anyway!)
Old 15 Jan 2011, 22:52 (Ref:2816221)   #3
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Hi welcome to the forum.
There has been threads like this before, like this http://tentenths.com/forum/showthrea...light=trip+spa
Obviously some people like different things, but the whole weekend is well worth going to as the track is in a pretty part of the country.
No doubt others will come in on this and the only advice I can give is get booked in early whatever you decide to do.
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 16 Jan 2011, 00:20 (Ref:2816247)   #4
neilmurg
Rookie

United Kingdom
Esher, Surrey
neilmurg should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

thanks, all good stuff. I checked out the other threads.

Plans adjusted, money saved, tickets bought. I will try out those good spots, and keep an eye out for any more posts.

All I need now is an smily twiddling it's thumbs waiting for FP1...
Old 21 Jan 2011, 13:35 (Ref:2818807)   #5
Tim the Grey
Veteran

Wales
Across the M40 from Gaydon...
Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!
Top tip? Le Mans Series are there early in May. It's pretty cheap to attend, and gives you a 'feel' for times to get there, and distances when you are there.

Also, you get a comparison between top line sportscar racing, and F1. Something always worth checking out.

Oh, and just stand opposite the pit exit, and goggle at Eau Rouge... It's very different 'in the flesh'.
Old 21 Jan 2011, 14:27 (Ref:2818828)   #6
RF_Racer
Veteran

RF_Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
We went there back in 2007, the facilities were worse than Silverstone and I think I payed £140 for a weekend ticket. We stayed near by in Stavalot. Not been since, it may have improved, but views are certainly stunning and well worth the trip even if its expensive.
Old 27 Feb 2011, 07:58 (Ref:2837390)   #7
TheSpiderMan
Rookie

England
Stockport
TheSpiderMan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
AWESOME Track

I've been a few times to Spa helping to manage a car in the Dutch Supercar Challenge. The countryside round the circuit is stunning. The track is much more hilly than the pictures ever show on TV. I'd recommend having a good walk round the circuit so you see it from different places, but you won't be able to do that on Grand Prix day. On the day itself take your fold up chair to your spot (unless you're paying for a stand ticket), get your place VERY early, wrap a blanket over yourself and finish the nights sleep where you sit.
It has to be the best value for money F1 event to go to. Eau Rouge is just amazing when you see it for real.
Have a great time.
Life should not be a journey into the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, oh no.. but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, beer in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming ‘WOO HOO what a ride'
Old 28 Feb 2011, 06:51 (Ref:2837801)   #8
Tall Chris
Racer

England
Headcorn
Tall Chris should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sorry, a couple of questions, any answers gratefully recieved;
Anyone that has camped there - can I chuck up an 8 man tent on the 'pitch' is it big enough?
Does camping include parking?
Are all of the grandstands open on the Friday?
Is the entry to Les Combes one of the best vantage points from general admission?
Whilst I realise that I could find out much of this from various site there is nothing like the voices of experience.

(Please someone say that it's rubbish and I shoulodn't go 'cos then I can help AMOC sort out their differences at Brands )
Old 28 Feb 2011, 14:10 (Ref:2837963)   #9
Tim the Grey
Veteran

Wales
Across the M40 from Gaydon...
Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!
Les Combes wouldn't be my first choice for viewing, though I have a particular fork, in a particular tree, booked for LMS! It's the only spot clear of the fence, for a decent head on shot into the braking area, spectator side.
There are loads of GREAT places round Spa, I like the Blanchimont area to take photos through the trees, Bus Stop, Grandstand just down from La Source, the cafe behind the covered grandstand there, anywhere either side of Eau Rouge/Raidillon, and inside of the downhill hairpin coming out of Les Combes...
There are LOTS of 'windows' cut in the fence, for amateur/punter side photographers. Sometimes, they beat being media side!
But this is all from FIAGT and LMS experience, when there's more room, and time, to move around. I suspect the GP will be more frenetic!

I'd see what camping is being offered, as I have stayed in the woods above the old startline, before, and that can get 'interesting'!
Old 28 Feb 2011, 21:24 (Ref:2838154)   #10
Eddy V
Veteran

Belgium
Belgium & UK
Eddy V should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridEddy V should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
"It IS rubbish and you shouldn't go 'cos then you can help AMOC sort out their differences at Brands."

Depending on when you go: F1 camping will be difficult. I've never been there (can't stand F1), but from what I've heard it's first come and take as much as you can.
Best place to enter is Les Combes, as it is easy to go to a lot of different vantage points. But it will be a nightmare to get out of there, due to traffic, on the Sunday. Stavelot corner is easier to get away from after the event, via the other motorway near Aywaille.

But if you're smart do as I: do Amoc at Brands.

Tags
spa francorchamps