Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > 24 Heures du Mans

Old 21 Nov 2019, 15:49 (Ref:3941948)   #1
deggis
Veteran

Finland
deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!
Animated short film about Le Mans 1955

Nice style and good attention to detail.
Old 21 Nov 2019, 17:53 (Ref:3941972)   #2
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
It’s weird, me and my friend were talking about this race today for some reason.

That cartoon really, more than anything else, captured the emotional impact of all involved
Old 21 Nov 2019, 20:26 (Ref:3942002)   #3
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
Strange
Old 21 Nov 2019, 20:30 (Ref:3942003)   #4
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I found it rather strange too. Is the dialogue fictional or did the makers have a source for it?
Old 21 Nov 2019, 21:21 (Ref:3942014)   #5
deggis
Veteran

Finland
deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
I found it rather strange too. Is the dialogue fictional or did the makers have a source for it?
I would assume it is fictional.
Old 22 Nov 2019, 01:29 (Ref:3942057)   #6
Nick Woodbury
Veteran

United States
New England
Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!
That was quite the moving bit, very powerful and well animated. I loved the design style color palate chosen by the creator(s).

Interesting though, why did they choose to have the accident occur at dusk/night? Sure, the original film of the actual accident is grainy and poorly processed, but it is quite obvious that the accident happened well before dusk. Creator's liberties?

Last edited by Nick Woodbury; 22 Nov 2019 at 01:37.
Old 22 Nov 2019, 08:49 (Ref:3942098)   #7
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
I think the accident happened around 6:00?
Old 22 Nov 2019, 12:26 (Ref:3942125)   #8
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Very well done, and agree about the attention to detail.

But why?
Old 22 Nov 2019, 14:41 (Ref:3942156)   #9
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
I think the accident happened around 6:00?
Yes, two hours in as I recall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
Very well done, and agree about the attention to detail.

But why?
Good question.....
Old 22 Nov 2019, 16:50 (Ref:3942191)   #10
Nick Woodbury
Veteran

United States
New England
Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Yes, two hours in as I recall.

Good question.....
I'm confused by yours and others skepticism about this. Do you feel this film is not warranted purely because of the severity of the disaster and the lives lost? If anything, this story is far more compelling and worthy of a hollywood adaptation than Ford vs. Ferrari, I know....hot take.

Last edited by Nick Woodbury; 22 Nov 2019 at 17:03.
Old 22 Nov 2019, 18:25 (Ref:3942207)   #11
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Woodbury View Post
I'm confused by yours and others skepticism about this. Do you feel this film is not warranted purely because of the severity of the disaster and the lives lost?
No, I’m curious, not skeptical. Just seems a strange subject to make an
animated film about......
Old 22 Nov 2019, 19:53 (Ref:3942217)   #12
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!
If the film is done as a form of documentary, I can maybe understand it's purpose from an educational perspective. That said, there's a few actual documentaries about LM '55.
Old 22 Nov 2019, 20:18 (Ref:3942218)   #13
Nick Woodbury
Veteran

United States
New England
Quote:
Aye got'cha.

I don't mean to speak for the French members on this forum or the French racing fans in general, but the '55 Disaster no doubt still resonates with some people to this very day including the creator, much in the same way Senna's death resonated with fans in Brazil and Dale Earnhardt with nascar fans. You look at those events and plenty of documentaries, specials and movies have been made regarding them. Having said that, I am not at all surprised the creator went ahead with something like this.

As for the design choices, by choosing to tell the story using animation, as opposed to live action, it really opens up a lot more possibilities to add gravitas and mood to this story which deserves to be told given its obvious significance. Plus, it undoubtedly a lot more cheaper to animate it rather than source a huge budget for a live action piece by having to build a section of the 1955 pit straight and fill in the rest of it with CG, extras, cars etc.
Old 22 Nov 2019, 22:00 (Ref:3942226)   #14
J Jay
Veteran

United Kingdom
Manchester
J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chernaudi View Post
That said, there's a few actual documentaries about LM '55.
That was likely part of the motivation to eschew/alter some of the details. For instance, dramatic effect is likely the best explanation for the disagreement between Fitch & Neubauer; as far as I know, they agreed on withdrawing, but Neubauer had to wait for approval from the Mercedes board before doing so.

The only choice that I wasn't fond of was the sticks that represented bones, despite knowing what they were, it took a couple of seconds for it to register. Apart from that, the film did a great job at capturing the immediate aftermath of the accident.

I believe it has been shortlisted for the Best Animated Short Film Oscar by way of winning a prize on the film circuit. I doubt it will win, but I wish for the best.
Old 23 Nov 2019, 00:49 (Ref:3942246)   #15
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by J Jay View Post
That was likely part of the motivation to eschew/alter some of the details. For instance, dramatic effect is likely the best explanation for the disagreement between Fitch & Neubauer; as far as I know, they agreed on withdrawing, but Neubauer had to wait for approval from the Mercedes board before doing so.

The only choice that I wasn't fond of was the sticks that represented bones, despite knowing what they were, it took a couple of seconds for it to register. Apart from that, the film did a great job at capturing the immediate aftermath of the accident.

I believe it has been shortlisted for the Best Animated Short Film Oscar by way of winning a prize on the film circuit. I doubt it will win, but I wish for the best.

As I mentioned, if it brings awareness to history and such, I'm all for it. But there's already some straight up documentaries out there. This can maybe be compared to Ford vs Ferrari compared to an actual documentary about LM '66.
Old 23 Nov 2019, 09:10 (Ref:3942283)   #16
J Jay
Veteran

United Kingdom
Manchester
J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chernaudi View Post
As I mentioned, if it brings awareness to history and such, I'm all for it. But there's already some straight up documentaries out there. This can maybe be compared to Ford vs Ferrari compared to an actual documentary about LM '66.
I would agree with this. I think Rush would also be a good comparison (I've yet to see LM '66) for the creative liberties taken in the name of hemming to the atmosphere the director is aiming for.

"Based on true events" is probably the most correct way to label the manner the film treats its source material.
Old 23 Nov 2019, 09:30 (Ref:3942288)   #17
S griffin
Veteran

You're always going to get a bit of truth bending in these things, but it's nice that there are enough people to care about showing motorsport to a mass audience
Old 23 Nov 2019, 11:25 (Ref:3942314)   #18
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
You're always going to get a bit of truth bending in these things, but it's nice that there are enough people to care about showing motorsport to a mass audience
Not sure that animation will be playing to a mass audience, but yes.

Being of an ‘enquiring mind’, I’m interested to know if the maker(s) of the animation are motorsport enthusiasts, or learned about the 1955 race from previously made documentaries.....
Old 23 Nov 2019, 13:20 (Ref:3942329)   #19
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Quote:
Exactly the same for me. Plus I wonder about the dialogue, how fictional is it?
Old 23 Nov 2019, 13:37 (Ref:3942334)   #20
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
CTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Exactly the same for me. Plus I wonder about the dialogue, how fictional is it?
Could be based on biographies from key people?
Like:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Speed-was-l.../dp/B0000CKKIE
However creative freedoms must have been taken.
Old 23 Nov 2019, 18:52 (Ref:3942396)   #21
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
possibly Mathias and yes, I think assumptions were made so that the film had the meaning intended. Again, I'm not criticising, but I still find myself asking why.....
Old 24 Nov 2019, 11:50 (Ref:3942533)   #22
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
CTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
possibly Mathias and yes, I think assumptions were made so that the film had the meaning intended. Again, I'm not criticising, but I still find myself asking why.....
I agree to your questioning, as specific wording in conversations can have a massive effect on how you perceive people. (Fitch "vs." Neubauer, also the portrait of Leo Beebe in Le Mans '66)
Old 26 Nov 2019, 16:57 (Ref:3942991)   #23
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
For sure. In 'LM66' Beebe comes across as the kind of guy you wouldn't want to extinguish with your bodily fluids if he was on fire however the truth of course is rather different.....
Old 26 Nov 2019, 17:41 (Ref:3943009)   #24
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
For sure. In 'LM66' Beebe comes across as the kind of guy you wouldn't want to extinguish with your bodily fluids if he was on fire however the truth of course is rather different.....
Polite way of saying things Andrew, but as you said the film has to a little generous with the truth in order to make the public as well as the racing fans enjoy the film, but from what i hear from others i was not the only one to enjoy it.
Old 5 Dec 2019, 13:23 (Ref:3944960)   #25
MaskedRacer
Veteran

MaskedRacer User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
I don't think its very accurate.

1. Crash happened at 6 pm, animated film made it seem like it was at night
2. Did the Mercedes director really want to keep racing?
3. Film made it seem like he made this decision and change of mind to stop racing. I think it was the Mercedes corporate board that made the call in a impromptu meeting they had after the crash.