Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

View Poll Results: Who is your favourite commentator
Mike Raymond 5 21.74%
Darrel Eastlake 1 4.35%
Alan Jones 0 0%
Greg Rust 0 0%
Leigh Diffey 5 21.74%
Craig Denyer 0 0%
Neil Crompton 6 26.09%
Other, please specify 6 26.09%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

Old 19 May 2001, 22:04 (Ref:94344)   #1
DAVID PATERSON
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
DAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Who's your favourite commentator?

Well, I've always wanted to post a poll and after seeing this question posed in another forum with a very British slant, I'd thought I'd put a similar one here and get the opinion of Aussie Touring Car fans?
Old 20 May 2001, 00:28 (Ref:94372)   #2
Troy
Racer

Troy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Back in the days when 7 had the touring cars, I always liked Raymond and Moffat. Now with 10, I reckon Diff was the best anchor commentator the V8s have had. What about Mark Oastler? He's quite informative.
Old 20 May 2001, 01:25 (Ref:94378)   #3
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
I reckon Leigh Diffey was the best ..allthough Crompton is very good i'd rather see him racing ...but they are the best 2 commentators the country has.

I met leigh Diffey a few years ago at our local Autobarn store and he was a very nice bloke to talk to..it was the stores grand opening and he was there as a promotional deal with the local radio station...we chatted for a bit and he gave me a go in the Formula one simulator...was a fun afternoon and leigh is a very nice bloke.

I got sick of mike raymonds commentry but yet is was still very professional in his approach.

but my vote goes to leigh Diffey with Crompton coming in a very close second.
Old 20 May 2001, 02:57 (Ref:94399)   #4
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Crash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCrash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I think the septics have some great commentators, and bugger me, Raymond is the closest thing we have ever had to a yank Oh no, wrong answer, hey Daivd?

I don't think I'll ever forget Raymond's first ever words on his first Bathurst coverage. On the first lap as the cars went over the top of the hill- "Look at the fans, so think in those parts..". I wonder if any of them took offence to that and chased the big fella down after the race
Old 20 May 2001, 05:43 (Ref:94411)   #5
DNQ
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Australia
DNQ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Neil Crompton.

Just one question - David, how come you put Darrel Eastlake in the poll? Seriously he must be the most horrendous commentator ever to walk the earth.
Old 20 May 2001, 07:29 (Ref:94420)   #6
Buckshot
Veteran

Australia
Cambridge Gardens, NSW, Australia
Buckshot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridBuckshot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I absolutely love the team of Ian Luff and Nathan Prendergast that commentate on most of the car racing shown on SBS Speedweek. I really enjoy the way a driver will lose control and Luffy will show a replay and tell you exactly what the guy did wrong…he can really pull an incident to pieces and explain what happened. He also has a wicked sense of humour and often comes out with some great phrases.

The 2 of them really enjoy what they are doing and it shows from the second they turn on the mics.

Last edited by Buckshot; 20 May 2001 at 07:30.
Old 20 May 2001, 08:08 (Ref:94426)   #7
Wrex
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne - Home of the Australian GP
Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!
Where's my mate Barry "consistantly inconsistant" Sheene.

Mike Raymond was a great pro and the legend (not the poster ) Moffat was brilliant also.
Old 20 May 2001, 23:36 (Ref:94650)   #8
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Crash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCrash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Actually there David, you missed yourself- what's the go there??
Old 21 May 2001, 22:39 (Ref:94973)   #9
Ray Bell
Veteran

Ray Bell should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Will Hagon, so much better than most others.

Mike Raymond was purely offensive. His terms have infiltrated out commentators' vocabulary to the extent that they don't know what they are saying...

What, after all, is "The strike"... or is it "stripe"?

Americanising our language for no good reason.

I had a good team going with Russell Mansfield and myself at the Amaroo Club meetings a few years ago, even if I do have to say so myself.

Crompton and Oastler have good input. John Cummins was quite good, and at Warwick Farm the Bruce Redhouse and ??? Regan were excellent as a team. That's where Will Hagon came in.

Max Stahl is also good.

Last edited by Ray Bell; 21 May 2001 at 22:43.
Old 23 May 2001, 12:44 (Ref:95538)   #10
elephino
Veteran

elephino should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridelephino should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Well Phil Branaghan is pretty good too. Not sure I could choose one favourite out of the Australians because my favourite is Murray Walker and James Hunt together.
Old 24 May 2001, 12:19 (Ref:95967)   #11
DAVID PATERSON
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
DAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I didn't realise I had left so many out, i thought i had put them all in there, even the offensive ones, like Eastlake and Raymond. Maybe I should do this again with a longer list.

Phil Branagan and Will Hagon are both quite good, I can't believe i forgot them.

Crash, i'm hardly going to put myself in this list.

I voted for Crompton, he is highly intelliegnt, very articulate and he doesn't shout, scream or oooh and aaah!

I can't believe someone likes the Luffy and Prendy show. Apart from sounding rather gay, they're just so annoying, giving everyone a stupid nickname as they go along.

I'm utterly shocked to see that people liked Mike Raymond. I thought he was a boring buffoon who didn't know **** from clay and surely the last thing we need is more Americanisation of this country. We're losing our identity as it is. Ok, i'll take off the red wig now, before this topic is banished to the gravel trap.
Old 24 May 2001, 12:23 (Ref:95969)   #12
elephino
Veteran

elephino should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridelephino should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Has anyone mentioned Craig Lowndes yet? He did a very good job on all those trackside categories.
Old 24 May 2001, 12:35 (Ref:95979)   #13
Ray Bell
Veteran

Ray Bell should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by DAVID PATERSON
I voted for Crompton, he is highly intelliegnt, very articulate and he doesn't shout, scream or oooh and aaah!

I can't believe someone likes the Luffy and Prendy show. Apart from sounding rather gay, they're just so annoying, giving everyone a stupid nickname as they go along.

I'm utterly shocked to see that people liked Mike Raymond. I thought he was a boring buffoon who didn't know **** from clay and surely the last thing we need is more Americanisation of this country. We're losing our identity as it is. Ok, i'll take off the red wig now, before this topic is banished to the gravel trap.
David, you have encapsulated the whole deal here. Crompton does it like Hagon and some others, no shouting, no fuss, just tells you what's going on and gets a bit excited if necessary.

The others, yes, absolutely. Luff seems to have carved a niche for himself 'without adequate warrant,' as John N Darby put it, while Raymond belongs to the dirt circles and should never have been allowed to leave there. Best thing Eastlake ever did was hand the mike to Jonesy...
Old 24 May 2001, 12:56 (Ref:95992)   #14
nz_tourer
Rookie

nz_tourer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I havent heard much of those guys, but I really enjoyed the combo of Leigh Diffey, Oastler and Bazz. Reallu enjoyable to listen to. Baz is class, you either like or dislike him i suppose. It is good at the moment now with Cromley, but I am not looking foward to Rusty taking the helme when Neil is driving again, he is a excellent pit reporter though.
Old 25 May 2001, 09:58 (Ref:96416)   #15
Airhead
Veteran

Airhead should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAirhead should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I liked Moffat because he is Moffat I guess. Plus good comments on lines through corners and tactics etc throughout the race.

I also liked Hagon, because he is a bike rider (a BM twin man at that)and he did a great job on the GP's in the Gardner era before Sheene and Eastlake riuned it with constant name dropping and BS. They are still whoeful.

I don't believe people voted for Diffey, he is no fool but talks like one. But my all time favs - Julian and Keith who used to do the Superbikes. Loved the information and the humour.
Old 25 May 2001, 10:48 (Ref:96426)   #16
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Moff- Get yourself some Foxtel, Keif is back! But sadly he isn't with Jules....some other over excitable Pom....oh well.
Old 25 May 2001, 12:04 (Ref:96460)   #17
Airhead
Veteran

Airhead should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAirhead should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Crash,

Broadcasting what??

They have Diffey and someoneelse doing the supers.
They should have Magee, not because he is the best commentator but because he is/was my favourite all-time bike rider next to Mike (the bike) Dowson.
Old 25 May 2001, 12:07 (Ref:96463)   #18
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
They have Keif and this other bloke commentating the Moto GPs, with Magoo and another Aussie blaoke back in the studio. Then they have Diffey commentating the WSBs.
Old 25 May 2001, 12:22 (Ref:96470)   #19
Airhead
Veteran

Yes,

due to family hogging the TV I don't usually watch the GP broadcast on Fox.

Do manage the Supers though.
Old 25 May 2001, 17:32 (Ref:96542)   #20
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!
Having never really had the opportunity to listen to these guys, i'll have to vote for Alan Hyde
Old 27 May 2001, 11:19 (Ref:97186)   #21
DAVID PATERSON
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
Arse!
Old 28 May 2001, 21:28 (Ref:98032)   #22
Alan Jones
Veteran

Alan Jones should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm voting for Cromley on the cars and Barry with the bikes. Will Hagon is also topclass and I enjoy his comments on 2BL with Tony Delroy late at night. Also, Beattie I feel does a good job on the 250's and 125's. As for Julian and co.. Moff, I always enjoyed their calls but you often felt like the only guy out there was Foggy in their eyes.
Old 29 May 2001, 00:33 (Ref:98103)   #23
Jason Whittaker
Rookie

Jason Whittaker should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hello Ten-Tenths folk,

I've been meaning to visit this forum for a while. Plenty of knowledgable, experienced racing folk in here, by the looks. A class above those conrod.com.au forums - though the site itself is an outstanding piece of work. :-)

On the topic...

I don't want to offend a certain forum contributor, but I'm not a big fan of your work, Mr Jones. Far too dry for my liking. :-)

I'm in agreement that Crompton really is peerless in this country when it comes to knowledge and the rare ability to communicate it effectively.

However, a colour commentator he is not - a role channel ten seem to think he can do. He can't. They really need a Murray Walker-like to liven things up a little.

Barry is just a goose, and my personal campaign to rid him from television alltogether will continue. :-)

Jason Whittaker
jasonwhitt@one.net.au
Old 29 May 2001, 01:37 (Ref:98129)   #24
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Blimey Jason, welcome aboard! Fancy seeing you in the boards today!

By the way, my name is Mr Walker, and you have never heard me commentate
Old 29 May 2001, 06:38 (Ref:98182)   #25
Alan Jones
Veteran

Alan Jones should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
No offence taken Jason, though why you would bother to comment amazes me.Welcome to 10/tenths.