Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > My Track Designs

Old 2 May 2013, 15:06 (Ref:3241780)   #26
Yannick
Veteran

Yannick should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thanks SKG for yet another clockwise entry. Yours is super fast, with the exception of Turn 1. My guess is that NASCAR would love this track just as well as IndyCar.

It's a nice little track you have come up with. Do you also have an idea for an anticlockwise "distorted oval"?
Old 2 May 2013, 21:18 (Ref:3241919)   #27
Mr Pink
Veteran

Sweden
Sweden
Mr Pink should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I haven't done a circuit in a long while but maybe it's time! I have a real weakspot for simple, fast circuits. Has anyone mentiond Enna Pergusa yet? I think it qualifies even with the chicanes.
Old 2 May 2013, 22:39 (Ref:3241948)   #28
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Geez, the last time Enna Pergusa got a mention in My Tracks there was almost open warfare.

But for Yannick even Enna, runs clockwise.
Old 3 May 2013, 08:48 (Ref:3242029)   #29
Yannick
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScotsBrutesFan View Post
Geez, the last time Enna Pergusa got a mention in My Tracks there was almost open warfare.

Well, clockwise tracks are accepted as proper entries due to a decision by committee to allow for clockwise tracks. (IndyCar does such decisions by committee, too, these days so that's legitimate ;-)
I'm just hoping for some more anticlockwise entries by you guys. But for the most part, I'm happy that this thread has "taken off" as much as it did.

And yes, I fully agree, Enna Pergusa totally qualifies as a "distorted oval", even
with the chicanes included. Whether it would be possible to count it towards the "AJ Foyt Trophy" is another question, though. I guess it's not.

Thank you SBF for mentioning this circuit. I guess I don't really know my trackpedia anymore, otherwise I wouldn't have overlooked it earlier in the discussion. Are you thinking of designing a "distorted oval" of your own? If so, I'm looking forward to it (regardless of the racing direction).
Old 3 May 2013, 11:34 (Ref:3242081)   #30
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yannick View Post

Thank you SBF for mentioning this circuit. I guess I don't really know my trackpedia anymore, otherwise I wouldn't have overlooked it earlier in the discussion. Are you thinking of designing a "distorted oval" of your own? If so, I'm looking forward to it (regardless of the racing direction).
It was Mr Pink, that initially mentioned the circuit.

I don't have as much time this month as last, but will try to come up with something
Old 3 May 2013, 12:25 (Ref:3242111)   #31
Mr Pink
Veteran

Sweden
Sweden
Mr Pink should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScotsBrutesFan View Post

Haha I love that track! I mean, there's even rumors of snakes in the gravel traps, what's not to like?!
Old 3 May 2013, 17:13 (Ref:3242236)   #32
SKG
Racer

Wales
Mid-Wales
SKG should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yannick View Post
Do you also have an idea for an anticlockwise "distorted oval"?
I'll have a think
Old 3 May 2013, 18:35 (Ref:3242303)   #33
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
Perimeter roads around airfields have a distorted oval feel to them, although they can be very large.

I've found though, the perimeter track around the 1st World War airfield site at Montrose in Scotland to be just about perfect. It can even be run left handed.

The track as you can see very much still exists, it's 10m wide but is currently littered with speed bumps the height of which put the Alps to shame.
The reason, to stop Boy and girl racers killing themselves around it.
Attached Thumbnails
Montrose 1.jpg  

Last edited by ScotsBrutesFan; 4 May 2013 at 16:29.
Old 3 May 2013, 19:19 (Ref:3242335)   #34
SpeedingTortoise
Racer

Scotland
Glasgow
SpeedingTortoise should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Airfields are perfect for distorted ovals. There are already several real life examples: Silverstone, Thruxton, Snetterton, Goodwood, Castle Combe to name a few. Yours SBF, is a another great example of this. Simple and very fast. There's even room on the infield to make a proper road course, though I doubt the locals would be too happy.

Here's my next attempt located next to the National Museum of Flight, a few miles east of Edinburgh. Can run in either direction. 2.38mi
Attached Thumbnails
NMoF Track.jpg  
Old 3 May 2013, 19:43 (Ref:3242341)   #35
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
Off Topic...

SpeedingTortoise I did a infield circuit version of East Fortune ... on finding it it was more years ago than I realised, and well before Google Earth or Sketchup.
Link

I think if I were to do a full East fortune now though, it would be rather different.

.... Return to Topic

Last edited by ScotsBrutesFan; 3 May 2013 at 21:03.
Old 4 May 2013, 00:08 (Ref:3242428)   #36
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
I hope this fits the definition, I took the "don't over think it" route.

It runs left handed, and I've opted for an Oval style pits, of 2 lanes plus pit box ... the pit box is of course concrete compared to the tarmac (asphalt pitlane and circuit). I've even added a scoring tower on the pit exit as I hadn't added any other type of detail.

The Pit straight is the only actual straight on the circuit. The first image shows radii in metres
Attached Thumbnails
Distorted Oval Dims.jpg   Distorted Oval Top.jpg   Distorted Oval Pit Entry.jpg  

Distorted Oval Pit Exit.jpg  
Old 4 May 2013, 19:41 (Ref:3242848)   #37
Yannick
Veteran

Oh, there are some amazing new entries here. SBF's Montrose is what happens when you scale up the "distorted oval" concept from its non-permanent street circuit origins towards Indianapolis Motor Speedway dimensions. Brilliant, SBF! It's a mixture of Brooklands and Pocono!

SpeedingTortoise's "National Museum Of Flight" perimeter circuit then takes Turn 8 from Istambul Park to new dimensions, even though the perimeter road must have been there long before Bureau Tilke thought of something like it. Your track is a mightily fast road circuit. It stretches the "distorted oval" definition but it still qualifies as one, though it's more a "distorted Nazareth" than a distorted cookie-cutter. I guess IndyCar wouldn't allow this track into the "AJ Foyt Trophy" but I wonder where it would meet the FIA's grading criteria. Where would you put the starting line and the pits?

The 3rd is SBF's take on an "irregular Brooklands". It's nice as a fantasy track but wouldn't you agree that this kind of curved back straight automatically creates "weaving" on every lap and is thus, actually too dangerous to race on?

Thanks for the tracks, guys. Just out of curiosity, I'd like to ask you: What are your current favourites amongst the tracks presented on this thread?
Mine are Montrose and Denver Pepsi Center.
Old 4 May 2013, 20:44 (Ref:3242885)   #38
Quintin03
Veteran

Netherlands
Quintin03 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Meh, I'm not too impressed with Denver, mostly because it's such an easy thing to make. Maybe that's my own bias though.
I think your own entry really takes the concept seriously and it's my certainly my favourite.
Old 7 Jul 2013, 11:06 (Ref:3274819)   #39
Yannick
Veteran

Thank you guys for participating. It's been pretty enjoyable to see this forum discuss the concept of "distorted ovals". Thank you for your contributions.