Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > My Track Designs

Old 26 Jun 2013, 00:03 (Ref:3269783)   #1
SKG
Racer

Wales
Mid-Wales
SKG should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Circuit de la Sam... ?

Hi guys. This circuit is so removed from my usual stuff that I thought it deserved it's own thread.

Inspired by the great Le Mans 24 over the weekend, I went out and created my own endurance racetrack using fictional public highways and permanent sections designed for racing only.

Looking at the track, there are clearly similarities between it and Le Mans, there's no denying: I love that track, and I used it for inspiration to create this circuit.

The full circuit is 11.8km in length. The red sections are permanent race track and only ever used for racing. The orange sections shows where public highways are used to complete the long circuit.

There is also a 4.7km Grand Prix circuit nestled around the paddock. This kind of track would normally be my main focus, but this time it was just a side-project.

Let me know what you think chaps, I can't remember seeing anything like this on here (correct me if I'm wrong). Cheers.

(The darker green areas represent forest)
Attached Thumbnails
23 overview.png   23 full.png   23 gp.png  

Old 26 Jun 2013, 12:43 (Ref:3269995)   #2
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
My only concern is the large section of red -race only that isn't part of the short circuit. It a big stretch of track to be maintained as trac for one or two events a year. I suppose the same argument could be made for the Porsche curves at Le Mans

Last edited by ScotsBrutesFan; 26 Jun 2013 at 13:15.
Old 27 Jun 2013, 09:21 (Ref:3270404)   #3
werner
Veteran

Netherlands
Rotterdam, the Netherlands
werner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridwerner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Your issue could be solved like this. The extra road I used in this example would have been a dead end anyway, so would not cause a lot of extra disruption.
Attached Thumbnails
Sam.jpg  
Old 27 Jun 2013, 12:46 (Ref:3270524)   #4
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I like this shorter section. The triangular-ish section it makes with the existing roads, would be an ideal carpark for when the Short circuit is used.
When the long circuit is used then it becomes an obvious fan zone for merchandising, funfares etc.
Obviously footbridges or tunnels across the still open public roads would be required, but that would be a long term investment.
Old 27 Jun 2013, 15:10 (Ref:3270638)   #5
SKG
Racer

Wales
Mid-Wales
I also like it! Thanks for the suggestions guys, working on an edit now. It makes a lot more sense when you think about it.
Old 27 Jun 2013, 15:55 (Ref:3270655)   #6
Yannick
Veteran

Yannick should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It's a good idea to come up with a long track of this kind at this time of year.

However, shouldn't the kink between the 2nd chicane and the corner to the top right of the design have some runoff?
And how about the kink in the front straight: Doesn't the pitlane exit touch the racing line there?

And why do you bypass one corner from the public roads on the left side of the design, at about where your backstraight begins? The original corner would be the better one.
Old 4 Jul 2013, 18:57 (Ref:3273966)   #7
SKG
Racer

Wales
Mid-Wales
Quote:
Originally Posted by werner View Post
Your issue could be solved like this. The extra road I used in this example would have been a dead end anyway, so would not cause a lot of extra disruption.
Here's the edit. Slightly different to werner's, but with the same intentions. The track now continues along the public road and branches off closer to the roundabouts, past a spectator area (blue), under the public road and rejoins at a similar spot as before. the track length has been shortened slightly from 11.8km to 11.3km.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScotsBrutesFan View Post
I like this shorter section. The triangular-ish section it makes with the existing roads, would be an ideal carpark for when the Short circuit is used.
When the long circuit is used then it becomes an obvious fan zone for merchandising, funfares etc.
There is now a carpark/events area between the roundabouts with easy road access to all the spectator areas (blue). There is also large open spaces for camping in this area.

Thanks for the ideas guys, was a fun little conversion
Attached Thumbnails
63 edit overview.png   63 edit full.png  
Old 7 Jul 2013, 12:02 (Ref:3274836)   #8
LuiggiSpeed
Veteran

United States
LuiggiSpeed should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I like this circuit! My only concern is the pitlane exit seems aimed at the race line on a hi speed sector.
Old 8 Jul 2013, 17:18 (Ref:3275455)   #9
olivk
Rookie

Switzerland
Switzerland
olivk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I absolutely love it But i would remove the 2nd chicane on the long back straight of the 24h version, and let the cars negociate that superfast left curve the best they can It would of course need an adequate runoff area but it would be hot!

Oh and please...... for this one, don't forget the 3rd dimension !!
Old 9 Jul 2013, 01:49 (Ref:3275676)   #10
Beetle
Veteran

United States
Texas
Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by SKGThunder View Post
Here's the edit. Slightly different to werner's, but with the same intentions. The track now continues along the public road and branches off closer to the roundabouts, past a spectator area (blue), under the public road and rejoins at a similar spot as before. the track length has been shortened slightly from 11.8km to 11.3km.

There is now a carpark/events area between the roundabouts with easy road access to all the spectator areas (blue). There is also large open spaces for camping in this area.

Thanks for the ideas guys, was a fun little conversion
I like it running counterclockwise better. But what a cool track! It would be absolutely MEGA to race on!!