Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 17 Oct 2010, 23:47 (Ref:2776363)   #51
rich07
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by I Rosputnik View Post
Ah, but there's different classes to that race. I have no issues with GT3 racing but I would like to see GT1's and GT2's at Spa racing along side the GT3's.
I think many people would share that view.
Old 18 Oct 2010, 03:06 (Ref:2776397)   #52
MJ_N_09
Veteran

United States
MJ_N_09 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So, I guess no GT2 for SRO next year either. It's sad, but at the same time, hilarious. I wonder why.....
Old 18 Oct 2010, 03:27 (Ref:2776409)   #53
cmk
Veteran

Canada
Linköping, Sweden
cmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridcmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridcmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Pity to lose the variety. I like having several ways to skin a cat in a sportscar race, I think it's the real joy of the discipline. The Phoenix Audis being in with a shot at the overall when they were driven their hardest - before they were driven into Porsches - was a high point of the first half of this year's edition.
Old 18 Oct 2010, 03:57 (Ref:2776421)   #54
rich07
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaBUru38 View Post
Form British Formula 3's 2011 calendar, here we have four 2011 SRO GT Endurance Series dates:

April - Monza
July - Spa-Francorchamps
August - Nürburgring
October - Silverstone
Doh! I just realised my mistake...sheesh talking about jumping the gun..

What I really miss? GT1 and GT2 in the same race-Im so used to that and I miss it so.

And now no GT2 at Spa-bravo SRO..
Old 18 Oct 2010, 08:38 (Ref:2776502)   #55
Porsche917K
Racer

United States
Napa, CA
Porsche917K should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I still regularly watch the 2009 spa 24 hours for the fist couple laps when it's Masarati, corvette every other car
Old 18 Oct 2010, 23:27 (Ref:2776898)   #56
dxk1
Veteran

United States
Annapolis
dxk1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the griddxk1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the griddxk1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Porsche917K View Post
I still regularly watch the 2009 spa 24 hours for the fist couple laps when it's Masarati, corvette every other car
Those Spa 24 hour races races with the Masers, Astons and Corvettes up until 2009 were awesome. It just doesn't seem the same does it? I just don't think this was a development for the better.

DK
Old 19 Oct 2010, 07:13 (Ref:2776976)   #57
Deleted
Veteran

Deleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Then again, any event without Corvette doesn't feel the same

Let's imagine if Spa 24h would've stayed on the GT1 calendar. Since all the other rounds are sprint-based (the class isn't even allowed to run elsewhere now) and the rules are just a big mess, how man cars woud've actually survived to finish? Let alone finished ahead of fastest GT2s and GT3s.

However, perhaps a non-championship event could've suited them. But removing GT2 from Spa is madness. No matter how few entries they had this year.

Last edited by Deleted; 19 Oct 2010 at 07:33.
Old 20 Oct 2010, 00:38 (Ref:2777304)   #58
dxk1
Veteran

United States
Annapolis
dxk1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the griddxk1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the griddxk1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiana View Post
Then again, any event without Corvette doesn't feel the same

Let's imagine if Spa 24h would've stayed on the GT1 calendar. Since all the other rounds are sprint-based (the class isn't even allowed to run elsewhere now) and the rules are just a big mess, how man cars woud've actually survived to finish? Let alone finished ahead of fastest GT2s and GT3s.

However, perhaps a non-championship event could've suited them. But removing GT2 from Spa is madness. No matter how few entries they had this year.
I agree. It seems the whole point of GT cars is endurance. While the new GT1 series is interesting, it just misses the point of Grand Touring. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy the races, but I always thought Grand Touring was about cars that look like our favorite sports cars but with the capability to run at high speeds for hours on end. Really miss the GT1s at Spa and will certainly miss the GT2s.

DK
Old 20 Oct 2010, 09:00 (Ref:2777407)   #59
I Rosputnik
Veteran

United Kingdom
Livingston, Scotland
I Rosputnik should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridI Rosputnik should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by dxk1 View Post
I agree. It seems the whole point of GT cars is endurance. While the new GT1 series is interesting, it just misses the point of Grand Touring. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy the races, but I always thought Grand Touring was about cars that look like our favorite sports cars but with the capability to run at high speeds for hours on end. Really miss the GT1s at Spa and will certainly miss the GT2s.

DK
It's not just that, it makes it harder for something like the WTCC to find a purpose. GT1 is basically what the WTCC should be, but with Grand Tourers and Supercars. If the GT1 WC had two 2 hour races or one 3 hour race, then you could say it's the endurance championship for teams and constructors, while the WTCC is the sprint championship.
Old 20 Oct 2010, 12:44 (Ref:2777507)   #60
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
GTs can do sprint races, I don't have a problem with that. The International GT Open and the Superstars GT Sprint work like that. Were it me, the WTCC should do a 15min and a 45min race, and the GT1 a 40min and a 80min race.
Old 21 Oct 2010, 09:06 (Ref:2777823)   #61
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
Well from what I've read, GT1 is looking to make the races a bit longer in the future. So perhaps a shorter qualifying race and a longer championship race. 30 minutes for the previous and 2 hours for the later. I think it'd work fine that way. And last year in the 24Hours at Spa, a GTR ran in 2010 spec and went just fine. And that was one of it's first races.
Old 21 Oct 2010, 10:43 (Ref:2777866)   #62
I Rosputnik
Veteran

United Kingdom
Livingston, Scotland
I Rosputnik should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridI Rosputnik should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by TF110 View Post
Well from what I've read, GT1 is looking to make the races a bit longer in the future. So perhaps a shorter qualifying race and a longer championship race. 30 minutes for the previous and 2 hours for the later. I think it'd work fine that way. And last year in the 24Hours at Spa, a GTR ran in 2010 spec and went just fine. And that was one of it's first races.
Sounds good. 2-3 hour races makes sense as it's long enough for GT racing, while it keeps it attractive for TV companies to show live.
Old 21 Oct 2010, 12:45 (Ref:2777921)   #63
Deleted
Veteran

Deleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Sounds good. 2-3 hour races makes sense as it's long enough for GT racing, while it keeps it attractive for TV companies to show live.
But then again, the one sole reason why they made ther races so freaking short, was the TV. Or so Ratel claims.

Remember, originally FIA GT started off with 3-4 hour format, then moved to 2h races (Eurosport had already dropped them) and finally to one hour sprints. Hopefully the endurance side returns, so we can start to take that championship seriously again...
Old 21 Oct 2010, 12:55 (Ref:2777925)   #64
Speed-King
Veteran

Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiana View Post
Hopefully the endurance side returns
Here's what Hans Reiter has to say about the sprint race format:

Quote:
„Das Budget, das du pro Auto brauchst, hat sich im Prinzip halbiert. Wenn du ganz knapp kalkulierst, dann könntest du mit einer Mini-Crew von vier Mann ein Auto einsetzen. Reparieren während der Rennen wie bei den Langstreckenrennen brauchst du nämlich nicht mehr. Ist ein Auto beschädigt, dann kannst du es stehen lassen, weil du eh nicht mehr in die Punkte kommst. Zudem ist die Vermarktung und das TV-Paket um Längen besser wie bei der Le Mans Serie. Ich denke das der ACO da im kommenden Jahr ein viel grösseres Problem bekommt, was die zahlenden Kundenpiloten angeht. Für die Privatiers könnte die FIA-GT1 Weltmeisterschaft sich da wirklich zur Alternative entwickeln.
Translation:

Quote:
The Budget you need to run a car has basically been cut by 50%. If you really want to run here on the cheap, you could run a car with a crew of just four men. Repairs during the course - like you have them in endurance events - don't happen anymore. If a car is damaged, you park it, because you won't make it into the points anyway. Furthermore, the promotion and the TV-package are much better than in the Le Mans Series. I reckon, that the ACO will be facing bigger problems in attracting paying customer drivers next year. The FIA GT1 World Championship could become a real alternative for privateers.
(from gt-eins.de )
Old 21 Oct 2010, 13:07 (Ref:2777933)   #65
I Rosputnik
Veteran

United Kingdom
Livingston, Scotland
It makes sense, I wish the SRO would stop focusing on being the "brands" championship, when there are no manufactuer entries allowed and focus more on privateers, indepentant constructors and teamwork. The LMIC is the perfect playground for manufactuers and teams that are ready for the challenges, while GT1 could work for those not interested in the Le Mans series and running on a budget.

I think conversion kits are the way forward for GT racing.
Old 21 Oct 2010, 13:41 (Ref:2777946)   #66
ubrben
Veteran

United Kingdom
Birmingham
ubrben has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed-King View Post
Here's what Hans Reiter has to say about the sprint race format:

Translation:

(from gt-eins.de )
If you like sprint racing you should do it, and if you like endurance racing you should do that.

I totally agree on the LMS TV package though - it's appalling. The only thing I think Ratel's done well this year is the Bloomberg TV package for FIA GT - LMS should hang their heads in shame.

Ben
Old 22 Oct 2010, 23:50 (Ref:2778591)   #67
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
That's the only thing? Really? I think more so along the lines that not only can you watch it on Bloomberg, but also FOR FREE online at their website. And it's not just live streaming, you can go back and watch every race of the season! When LMS can do that, that'll be great. ALMS doesn't even do this. I donno of any series that has done this actually.
Old 24 Oct 2010, 07:48 (Ref:2779343)   #68
dj4monie
Veteran

United States
Reseda, California
dj4monie is heading for a stewards' enquiry!
Quote:
It makes sense, I wish the SRO would stop focusing on being the "brands" championship, when there are no manufactuer entries allowed and focus more on privateers, indepentant constructors and teamwork. The LMIC is the perfect playground for manufactuers and teams that are ready for the challenges, while GT1 could work for those not interested in the Le Mans series and running on a budget.

I think conversion kits are the way forward for GT racing.
I find the blatant branding a ridiculous as well, this is a team sport. They should be naming the team at all times. They generally do, but they often fall into a that car vs this car.

Especially since SPONSORS PAY THE BILLS!

Last edited by dj4monie; 24 Oct 2010 at 07:56.
Old 24 Oct 2010, 07:53 (Ref:2779356)   #69
dj4monie
Veteran

United States
Reseda, California
dj4monie is heading for a stewards' enquiry!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TF110 View Post
That's the only thing? Really? I think more so along the lines that not only can you watch it on Bloomberg, but also FOR FREE online at their website. And it's not just live streaming, you can go back and watch every race of the season! When LMS can do that, that'll be great. ALMS doesn't even do this. I donno of any series that has done this actually.
SRO are on the cutting edge of media coverage. They just lack radio, but who needs radio when you have TV pictures (online and over the air/cable).

I think SRO needs to sign a permanent broadcast crew. We love Hindy because he's good, but because he's apart of the series and its growth.

Crottie and Herbert would be fine actually. Unless they can get Ben Edwards full time between his duties in BTCC.

I agree the Championship Race should be longer since its worth more points.

I don't think shortening the Qualifying race is the answer, leave it at one hour.

Make the Championship Race longer 90 min to 2 hours would be plenty long enough and still TV friendly.
Old 24 Oct 2010, 13:20 (Ref:2779602)   #70
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
Let's move the discussion on GT1 race lengths to here, ok?