Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 29 Sep 2002, 20:56 (Ref:391456)   #1
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
oh and one other thing

TGP reversed on the grid and didn't get a pentley...........
Old 29 Sep 2002, 20:57 (Ref:391461)   #2
Inigo Montoya
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!
Not illegal. only illegal in pit lane.
Old 29 Sep 2002, 21:01 (Ref:391463)   #3
Sato san
Veteran

United Kingdom
Sato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i noticed that......i didnt think that was allowed either .
Old 29 Sep 2002, 21:04 (Ref:391470)   #4
Inigo Montoya
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!
Well, according to Martin Brundle you're not allowed to do it in the pit entrance/exit, but its fine to do it on the grid, as long as you are stationary when the lights go out. But I haven't read the rule myself, so correct me if I'm wrong...
Old 29 Sep 2002, 21:05 (Ref:391474)   #5
Speed
Veteran

Panama
Panama, Rep. of Panama
Speed should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Who´s TGP ?

TGF ?
Old 29 Sep 2002, 21:11 (Ref:391490)   #6
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I bet if it was anyone else but TGF then they would have got into trouble.............
Old 29 Sep 2002, 21:12 (Ref:391492)   #7
Inigo Montoya
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Quote:
Originally posted by rdjones
I bet if it was anyone else but TGF then they would have got into trouble.............
Old 29 Sep 2002, 21:23 (Ref:391510)   #8
Nicholas
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nicholas should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The German Pentachampion
Classic Eddie Irvine moments, #1
Interviewer: "Why has Schumacher got an odd shaped helmet?" Eddie: "Because he's German, he's got an odd shaped head"
Old 30 Sep 2002, 08:13 (Ref:391906)   #9
mac
Veteran

mac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
That German Paranoia-inducer.
Old 30 Sep 2002, 10:55 (Ref:392041)   #10
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The German
Old 30 Sep 2002, 11:10 (Ref:392051)   #11
Kex
Veteran

England
The Palace of Dreams
Kex should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think he also made a mess of lining up on the grid at Austria '98 (possibly).
Old 30 Sep 2002, 11:56 (Ref:392094)   #12
Spudgun
Race Official
Veteran

England
Reading, UK
Spudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I'm not a Schumacher fan in the slightest, but I think it would have been a bit harsh to penalise him for it. He gained no advantage and it was way before the back of the grid had lined up so it wasn't dangerous.

Had he left it a bit later there might have been question marks from a safety point of view, but he didn't.
Old 30 Sep 2002, 12:21 (Ref:392115)   #13
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I have just seen the start from on board Michael. He reversed about 4 feet. Then moveed forward about 1 foot. Not really an issue, but you couldn't really do that if you were lining up further down the field.
Old 30 Sep 2002, 13:17 (Ref:392166)   #14
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
He should have been penalised.

Remember Sepang 2001. Giancarlo Fisichella overshot his grid position at the end of the warmup lap and the start was aborted because he wasn't allowed to reverse back to his grid position. Unless the rules have changed since?
Old 30 Sep 2002, 13:38 (Ref:392195)   #15
Raven
Veteran

England
Raven should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I was just about to mention that racer69... GF could've easily reversed back to his grid-slot, but a big issue was made of it at the time that you're not allowed to reverse on the grid?
Old 30 Sep 2002, 14:13 (Ref:392222)   #16
Saltire
Rookie

Saltire should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The only rule that anyone can seem to find which may apply to this is Rule 90, General Safety in the FIA Rules, and states:
"Drivers are strictly forbidden to drive their car in the opposite direction to the race unless this is absolutely necessary in order to move the car from a dangerous position."
Now even the wording of this is rather ambiguous. Anyone have any thoughts?
Old 30 Sep 2002, 14:33 (Ref:392233)   #17
steve_r
Veteran

Lord Howe Island
European Capital of Culture 2008
steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!
TGF is my least favouite drivers, but if he had got a penalty for reversing a few inches on the grid, it would have seen stoopid.
Old 30 Sep 2002, 15:36 (Ref:392275)   #18
Sato san
Veteran

United Kingdom
Sato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I dont think he deserved a penalty for it at all...there was no harm done .

But i have to say , if it had been a car other than a Ferrari , im sure more questions would have been asked .
Old 30 Sep 2002, 18:37 (Ref:392456)   #19
Total-F1
Veteran

Total-F1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
"Drivers are strictly forbidden to drive their car in the opposite direction to the race unless this is absolutely necessary in order to move the car from a dangerous position."

To the race? Well if the race hasn't started yet, then it's quite impossible.

Schumacher didn't gain anything by reversing and he didn't hold up proceedings in any way other than to give people something to talk about...
Old 1 Oct 2002, 07:52 (Ref:392802)   #20
Saltire
Rookie

Doesn't the formation lap count as part of the race?
Old 1 Oct 2002, 08:00 (Ref:392804)   #21
Red
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest, Romania
Red should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
D'uh comeon guys get real. The formation lap DOES count as part of the race. It is also not allowed to drive in other dirrection that race. However other stranger things do happen. A driver spins, doesn't stall and then he tries to rejoin. Certainly doesnt drive in the correct dirrection for a couple of feets. Ban him. Certainly at start we are able to see a car that accidentally slips a couple of inches then brings the car to stand still before the light goes off. THAT is highly illegal, but no penalties are given. Even though for example that driver puts his car in stand still but AHEAD of his starting box.
Old 1 Oct 2002, 08:43 (Ref:392829)   #22
Saltire
Rookie

Red, I completely agree with you. And herein lies the problem. There far too many anomolies when it comes to the rules and those who break them. The prime example is the pit exit white line - some circuits enforce the crossing of it rigidly and others do not. The rules are laid out in black and white, but to us, it appears that sometimes penalties are handed out and other times they are not.
If the stewards had a lax attitude all the time, or a rigid attitude all the time, we, the fans would know where we stood. But, this is not the case and so we end up discussing and arguing about what is right and what is wrong.
Old 1 Oct 2002, 10:00 (Ref:392890)   #23
Kex
Veteran

England
The Palace of Dreams
Kex should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
and so we end up discussing and arguing about what is right and what is wrong.
If this didn't happen, this board wouldn't be half as busy...

Re: the Fisichella incident. Surely he lined up on the wrong side of the grid, but then at the last moment tried to pull across to the right. He stopped in the middle of the grid at an angle approaching 90 degrees.
Old 1 Oct 2002, 10:03 (Ref:392893)   #24
Red
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest, Romania
Red should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well, there's no problem really. Actually they try to reduce the fragmentation of the race by awarding unnecessary penalties. For example, another stupid rule is that if you cut a chicane, (highly illegal) but you make sure you do not gain time and position that's excusable. Not quite logical, but I understand and fully agree. There's no need, no harm is really done..