Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Clubmans Rallycross Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Other Motorsports > Rallying & Rallycross

Old 30 Jul 2003, 11:46 (Ref:675182)   #1
SJ Spode
Veteran

SJ Spode should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Rally stars face GB driving ban

Some of the world's top rally drivers - including Richard Burns, Colin McRae and Carlos Sainz - are facing being banned from driving on roads in the UK after being caught speeding.

They were all caught by speed cameras on 30mph road sections between stages at last year's Rally GB, and some face disqualification.

Solicitors are arguing that the drivers not be disqualified " on the grounds that they would suffer exceptional hardship."

The case has been adjourned to November 10, when many of those accused will be in the country for the 2003 event.

So suggestions please about how the organisers can deal with this, given that some drivers could be stopped and arrested on this year's road sections if the bans are upheld.
Old 30 Jul 2003, 13:30 (Ref:675308)   #2
spearce
Racer

spearce should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
....... they could always let the co-drivers do the road sections, and put their feet up for a while.
Old 30 Jul 2003, 15:32 (Ref:675403)   #3
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
It's compulsory cars must be driven under their own power between stages?

If so that rules out trailers, so spearce's suggestion sounds good!

I don't see why they can be disqualified for speeding afterall a Rally car is registered and roadworthy etc..

Last edited by touringlegend; 30 Jul 2003 at 15:33.
Old 30 Jul 2003, 15:57 (Ref:675429)   #4
SJ Spode
Veteran

SJ Spode should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by touringlegend
I don't see why they can be disqualified for speeding afterall a Rally car is registered and roadworthy etc..
The reason is that the cars are supposed to observe all the rules of the road on the road sections including speed. That's why Tommi M was stopped by the Police in 1999 when he had only three wheels on his Mitsubishi, and why the cars pay toll charges on some of the motorway sections in European events.

Having been to Rally Catalunya and driven out from Lloret to the stages with some of the rally cars (not works cars I hasten to add)in the traffic, there wasn't much observation of rules going on then....
Old 30 Jul 2003, 16:11 (Ref:675441)   #5
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
By how much were aforementioned drivers speeding by last year?

Rally cars surely only have to follow the same rules as normal road cars? As me or you would get a fine for doing say 40 in a 30 zone and not disqualified I don't see any reason why they should be any different ??
Old 30 Jul 2003, 17:09 (Ref:675491)   #6
cos
Veteran

England
cos should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Armin Schwarz was reportedly caught 7 times in one day. Those penalty points can tot up, don't forget!
Old 30 Jul 2003, 20:31 (Ref:675691)   #7
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I heard this on the radio this morning - what a joke.

I can remember a few years ago, mid 80's, a Lada works driver on the RAC getting pulled for speeding and it being on the local news as he was driving a Lada faster then the speed limit.
Old 30 Jul 2003, 20:44 (Ref:675708)   #8
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
I've read article's in papers now and I now see why they may be disqualified - especially Richard Burns being caught 5 times!
Old 31 Jul 2003, 01:55 (Ref:675905)   #9
avsfan733
Veteran

avsfan733 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I know in most US rallies, that a speeding ticket is an automaic disqualification from that rally. And that a while ago some European driver ran from the cops at a rally up in michigan and it lead to the local sheriff stopping the rally with the threat of a shotgun
Old 31 Jul 2003, 02:46 (Ref:675914)   #10
DAVID PATERSON
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
DAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
All very bad publicity for the sport. The naysayers will be going off at this.
Old 2 Aug 2003, 12:06 (Ref:677805)   #11
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!
"

Quote:
Originally posted by rdjones
I heard this on the radio this morning - what a joke.
erm, why is it a joke?!!
Old 4 Aug 2003, 14:25 (Ref:679655)   #12
garcon
Weasel Wrangler
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I haven't been to rallies abroad, but I know the SIDC (Impreza Drivers Club) tends to go en masse to Catalunya. Spain being a country that isn't choked by cottonwool wielding nannies, there's great fun to be had mixing it with the competitors going from Lloret up to the hills.

Also, being a tarmac rally the stages are public roads, which remain open until an hour or so before the stage - so most fun is to be had giving it a blast up the stage before it's closed.

And this is where the difference is most obvious - in Spain I've heard the police are often to be found on blind crests waving you on to say the road is clear and cheering as you blast by... in Wales, a blind crest is most likely to be followed by plod hiding in a bush with a speed gun.

Look, I know we're talking about public roads and there's safety to consider, but isn't all this a bit pathetic? Can't the police concentrate on trying to relieve the gridlock that hits Wales every year, rather than collecting speed tax and trying to be the one that can say "I nicked Richard Burns" ??
Old 4 Aug 2003, 14:40 (Ref:679669)   #13
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
If I got nicked I'd think it'd be pathetic - but why should Richard Burns get away with speeding when others don't ??
Old 4 Aug 2003, 15:00 (Ref:679684)   #14
garcon
Weasel Wrangler
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame

I've been to the Network Q in Wales often enough to know that the Taff Police have turned taking the **** into an art form.

Where a few mph over the limit might be dangerous (ie through the villages or at junctions full of speccies and competitors who don't know where they're going) you can guarantee that a) it's gridlocked so there ain't nobody speeding, and b) there won't be any sign of any police trying to clear up the mess. Where the road's a bit more open and the traffic gets to flow a bit more, you quickly find out where they all are - hidden behind bushes with cameras...

OK, when I've been caught speeding in the past I've bent over and taken it like a man - the limit's the limit, whether or not I think it's fair. But this just smacks of the typical British attitude when it comes to staging big events - everything's too much trouble, and we're gonna be as anal as we can in applying the law, and we'll do whatever we can to stop people enjoying themselves...

[/rant]

Last edited by garcon; 4 Aug 2003 at 15:03.
Old 6 Aug 2003, 12:36 (Ref:681210)   #15
275 GTB-4
Veteran

Australia
South of Sydney NSW, Australie
275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
NSW's Finest

Quote:
Originally posted by garcon
But this just smacks of the typical British attitude when it comes to staging big events - everything's too much trouble, and we're gonna be as anal as we can in applying the law, and we'll do whatever we can to stop people enjoying themselves...[/rant]
It ain't just the Brit Cops, I recall being highly embarrased at first then just plain angry that several high profile drivers were booked in NSW, AUSTRALIA (and only in NSW) during the final stages of the LONDON to SYDNEY Marathon!!!
Old 6 Aug 2003, 21:20 (Ref:681606)   #16
Lee Janotta
Veteran

Lee Janotta should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ah... Mandatory penalties and incompetent authorities... The beauty of the neo-liberal nanny state. Anti-fun's quite a good way to describe it, unfortunately.
Old 6 Aug 2003, 21:35 (Ref:681619)   #17
Alpina
Veteran

Alpina should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
tut tut Lee. Getting political! Shame on you!
Old 8 Aug 2003, 03:18 (Ref:682500)   #18
Lee Janotta
Veteran

Lee Janotta should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well, in the end, everything's political.

Mexican authorities line up to catch runners in the Baja 500 and 1000 every year as well. Of course, they do worse to American college students in Tijuana on a nightly basis.
Old 9 Aug 2003, 22:38 (Ref:683899)   #19
Alpina
Veteran

As for the penalties all I can say is that the drivers know the rules and the penalties. I blame the organisers for putting them in the position in the first place.
Old 12 Aug 2003, 04:16 (Ref:685799)   #20
avsfan733
Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by garcon
But this just smacks of the typical British attitude when it comes to staging big events - everything's too much trouble, and we're gonna be as anal as we can in applying the law, and we'll do whatever we can to stop people enjoying themselves...
its not just the brittish!

I can't find the article right now, but there were issues with one of the top US rallies this year also. Supposedly the permits went from 2 grand to 12 grand, there were a limited number of "press passes" available, and he spectators had to stand in very small areas with absolutely no definition. Rangers would hand out seemingly random tickets to people who stepped over an imaginary line....also on some of the stages on the first runs through them, the spectators where placed in front of the snow banks

It gets worse:
several photographers with so called "unlimited access passes" which were what the press passes supposedly where, where ticketed for standing in unauthorized places. Not to mention them finding gates on access roads locked, which also happened to the rally ambulance

There were also several competitors ticketed for 'urinating in a national forest'
Old 12 Aug 2003, 07:20 (Ref:685828)   #21
Stevespurr
Veteran

Stevespurr should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Why should rally stars get away with breaking the speed limit when it is one of the rules of the rally to obey the countrys laws.

If i got caught speeding 5 times over a weekend no one would bother about me.

Alex Fergeson got away with speeding by saying he needed the toilet maybe they should try this route.
Old 12 Aug 2003, 09:12 (Ref:685935)   #22
Alpina
Veteran

Well if you are going to get fined for urinating in a national forest no wonder he was speeding. Do you get the "chair" if you get caught doing a sh.. I mean poo?
Old 13 Aug 2003, 00:02 (Ref:686756)   #23
avsfan733
Veteran

well the author posed the question as to whether or not bears needed a permit to do so

on a civil note though, I think that the rally drivers should hold themselves to the same speed limit as everyone else, if nothing else, just out of respect for the fans who have to do the same when they stand out in the rain to cheer these guys on
Old 14 Aug 2003, 00:12 (Ref:687718)   #24
Heebeegeetee
Veteran

Heebeegeetee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I thought you had to be prosecuted within 6 months, or served with an intention to prosecute, or something like that?
Old 14 Aug 2003, 18:04 (Ref:688388)   #25
garcon
Weasel Wrangler
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
I think you have to be served with a NIP (Notice of Intended Prosecution) and possibly the summons itself within a certain time - after that, if a court appearance is required/requested, it's up to the local court system.

Last edited by SJ Spode; 15 Aug 2003 at 08:01.