Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Clubmans Rallycross Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Other Motorsports > Rallying & Rallycross

Old 18 Aug 2003, 16:58 (Ref:691417)   #1
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Bruns Returns to Subaru

It has been confirmed today that Richard Bruns will return to Subaru next year. IMO I think this is a very good move and never quite understood why he left anyway......
Old 18 Aug 2003, 17:04 (Ref:691423)   #2
Stuart Hill
Veteran

England
Stuart Hill should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridStuart Hill should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
2001 FIA World Rally Champion Richard Burns, who gained his title driving an Impreza WRC, has today signed a two-year contract that will see him return to Subaru from the start of next season. Burns currently leads this year's Drivers' Championship by five points, with five events still remaining.

His long-standing co-driver Robert Reid, who was paired with Burns in their Championship winning year, will also join the Brit back at Subaru.

Burns and Reid started their works driving careers with Subaru in 1993, when Burns became the youngest winner of the British Championship. They stayed with the team for the 1994 and 1995 seasons, competing on selected rounds of the WRC and coming second in the Asia Pacific Championship. The pair left to drive for Mitsubishi between 1996 and 1998, but returned to Subaru in 1999 for three hugely successful years, during which time Burns collected eight of his ten WRC victories, and the 2001 FIA Drivers' title.

"Subaru is the team I've had the most success with," said Burns. "And I'm really looking forward to being part of it again. For the time being though I'm putting thoughts of next year to the back of my mind. My focus is the current season, there's still a long way to go, and I'll continue to push 100 per cent for the 2003 title."

The news follows the announcement earlier today that 39-year-old Tommi Makinen will retire from World Championship rallying at the end of the season, having spent the past two years with the 555 Subaru World Rally Team.

Burns and Reid will replace Makinen and his co-driver Kaj Lindstrom, and will compete alongside Petter Solberg and Philip Mills, runners up in last year's Drivers' Championship. Viewed by many as one of the most significant transfer deals of the season, the combination of 32-year-old Burns and 28-year-old Solberg gives Subaru an extraordinary mixture of talent and experience, and re-ignites the association they had in 2001.

David Lapworth, team principal of the 555 Subaru World Rally team, commented: "I'm very excited about having Richard back on board at Subaru. He's enjoyed a great deal of success, not to mention the 2001 World Title with us, and with four seasons with the Impreza under his belt, he's sure to adapt quickly to the latest car. Richard and Petter are two of the most exciting drivers out there, and with both of them driving for Subaru I believe our line-up for 2004 is second to none."

Masaru Katsurada, president of Subaru Tecnica International, added: "I've no experience of working with Richard myself, but we were all very proud of his achievement when he won the Championship with Subaru in 2001 and I'm very happy to welcome him back to the team. Together with the latest Impreza WRC, we're expecting some good performances from him next year."
Old 18 Aug 2003, 19:48 (Ref:691579)   #3
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Will they be getting a world champion back?

He fitted in well with this team - a good move.
Old 18 Aug 2003, 21:40 (Ref:691681)   #4
krt917
Veteran

krt917 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridkrt917 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Definitely a good move. Only now he has to deal with Petter (gulps...)!
Old 19 Aug 2003, 07:44 (Ref:691916)   #5
Dani Filth
Race Official
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest
Dani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
should we see a few DNF from his Peugeot now?????????????

Ciao Marco
Old 19 Aug 2003, 07:44 (Ref:691917)   #6
garcon
Weasel Wrangler
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Excellent move!! My favourite driver rejoins my favourite team!
I is very happy!!

Will he rejoin as Champion?? Who knows? Who cares?! As for dealing with Petter, they've been having a little 'friendly rivalry' of late, which is a good thing!

Last edited by garcon; 19 Aug 2003 at 07:47.
Old 19 Aug 2003, 09:28 (Ref:691999)   #7
SJ Spode
Veteran

SJ Spode should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It will be interesting if Burns does become Champion as Subaru will see it as taking back the No.1 plate they feel Peugeot stole at the end of 2000.

But as Dani says will Peugeot allow Richard to win the title if Marcus is still in contention?, and also as Burns has reportedly driven the new 307 WRC, was that any part of his decision. Somehow I don't see Petter as having much to worry about.

On a related note I wonder if PSA will pass either Carlos or Colin over to Peugeot now?
Old 19 Aug 2003, 10:02 (Ref:692026)   #8
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Good..he's back in a big car so there's no excuses now for our Richard!!

Someone has also brought up in the Touring Car forum whether Burns departure might lead to Peugeot returning to the BTCC, as Pug claimed Burns as one of the reasons why they withdrew...
Old 19 Aug 2003, 10:20 (Ref:692034)   #9
perminder
Racer

United Kingdom
in my house
perminder should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by garcon
Excellent move!! My favourite driver rejoins my favourite team!
I is very happy!!

'friendly rivalry'

Lets hope it doesnt Turn into a F1 Jenson - Jaques fight type rivalry.......
Old 19 Aug 2003, 11:10 (Ref:692066)   #10
SJ Spode
Veteran

SJ Spode should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by touringlegend
Someone has also brought up in the Touring Car forum whether Burns departure might lead to Peugeot returning to the BTCC, as Pug claimed Burns as one of the reasons why they withdrew...
Suppose it depends on who they replace him with and how much that costs.....

I'm skeptical as Peugeot are getting good coverage motorsport-wise from the WRC and their UK rallying activities already, but as a Touring Car fan too the more works teams competing the better.
Old 19 Aug 2003, 12:46 (Ref:692165)   #11
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Did he leave or was he sacked?
Old 19 Aug 2003, 14:09 (Ref:692240)   #12
garcon
Weasel Wrangler
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
He left. His contract was coming to an end at the end of this season, he negotiated and signed a deal with Subaru. All his (and Subaru's) initiative. Simple.

He's leading the WRC by five points - why the would Peugeot sack him?!
Old 19 Aug 2003, 17:51 (Ref:692440)   #13
429CJ
Veteran

Finland
Otaku World
429CJ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm afraid Burns finds even harder to win with the Subaru than ever with Peugeot.

-Jamie Hyneman
Old 19 Aug 2003, 20:36 (Ref:692573)   #14
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Peugeot have said now that they were the ones to dump Burns, and told him in advance so he had time to make arrangements for next year!
Old 19 Aug 2003, 21:12 (Ref:692608)   #15
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
To be honest I am not really that suprised to see him leave. I think he has made the right move.
Old 20 Aug 2003, 12:59 (Ref:693194)   #16
DavidStHubbins
Veteran

United Kingdom
DavidStHubbins should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
He has been a failure at Peugeot. Only reliability and a stupid points system have seen him lead the championship this year. No excuses at Subaru! I reckon he will be better though next year.
Old 20 Aug 2003, 19:15 (Ref:693624)   #17
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally posted by Dani Filth
should we see a few DNF from his Peugeot now?????????????
I don't beleive this will be the situation at all.

I also don't think that Burns has been a 'failure' at Peugeot, but it'll be good to see him back in a Subaru.
Old 20 Aug 2003, 20:48 (Ref:693705)   #18
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I hardly call leading the championship with only a few rounds to go a failure. I think the word wheel bearing springs to mind.
I think Peugeot were a little naive in thinking they could accomodate Marcus and Richard in the same team, they are both what I would call number one drivers and Provera was never gonna let Burns run the show. And quite rightly as Gronholm has won the rallies and titles.
I do feel a bit for Burns thouhg as it seems he was always gonna struggle in a team where the car is built around one man.
Old 21 Aug 2003, 02:49 (Ref:693922)   #19
DavidStHubbins
Veteran

United Kingdom
DavidStHubbins should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
He still hasn't won a rally in almost two years!
Old 21 Aug 2003, 12:22 (Ref:694323)   #20
Chick
Rookie

Chick should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I had hoped that Mr McRae would return to Subaru! Good luck Burnsie though, I think this could be good for Burns career. He has never managed to shine at Peugeot partly because he didn't suit the car (or vice versa)and partly becuase he was playing second fiddle to Gronholm.
Old 21 Aug 2003, 13:07 (Ref:694390)   #21
garcon
Weasel Wrangler
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
Quote:
Originally posted by DavidStHubbins
He still hasn't won a rally in almost two years!
And that makes him a failure does it? So are 80% of the drivers out there failures too?
Old 21 Aug 2003, 14:05 (Ref:694446)   #22
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
I still don't get all this big deal over Burns not winning.

As the old saying goes, "to finish first, first you have to finish"
Old 22 Aug 2003, 13:37 (Ref:695622)   #23
krt917
Veteran

krt917 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridkrt917 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Yes, but Burnsie does a lot of finishing, just not first!!
Old 22 Aug 2003, 14:04 (Ref:695643)   #24
garcon
Weasel Wrangler
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
I reckon he would have done if he'd needed to...
Old 22 Aug 2003, 19:36 (Ref:695929)   #25
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
Aha, but he will be first at the end of the year, you see..