Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 17 Apr 2001, 16:50 (Ref:81611)   #51
Raoul Duke
Veteran

Raoul Duke should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Top 3 of 2001

TGF(yes I hate him, but he is a good river)
Ralf
Montoya

As for the all time greats. I really can't say because I haven' been following f1 long enough.
Old 17 Apr 2001, 16:51 (Ref:81612)   #52
angst
Veteran

angst should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Faster, welcome to the forum. Francisco Landi? Interesting. How much do you know about him, because I've not been able to find much info at all? I know he didn't make a great impact in F1, but then he never had brilliant cars at his disposal, or that much of a run.
Old 17 Apr 2001, 17:20 (Ref:81624)   #53
Faster
Racer

Faster should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Angst,

Landi was a mechanic and started his racing career in 1934, at the II GP Cidade do Rio de Janeiro, at Gavea Circuit. He was leading (his first race ever!) before his car broke down. Scored his first win a year later, at the Chapadao circuit in Campinas (Brazil, of course). Developed his driving skills during the II World War by winning sucessive races in the brand new Interlagos and in the Gavea circuit.
After the war, won again in Rio in 1947 beating Luigi Villoresi and Achille Varzi. Villoresi was so impressed that invited him to race in Europe that year. Landi's first race abroad was at the Bari GP, but once again had problems with his machine while he was third, eight laps to go.
In 1948, won the Bari GP with a rented Ferrari (not sure, but maybe this was the first victory ever from a Ferrari car in a Grand Prix, even before Ferrari was officially founded!). In this race, he defeated "only" his good buddy Juan Manuel Fangio, despite Villoresi, Bonetto, Taruffi and some other italian drivers.
Was hired by Enzo Ferrai in 1949, but had never the samer equipment as the italian drivers, and have quitted the team in 1953. At that time, il Commendatore rewarded him with a brand new Ferrari, what pretty much shocked the Maranello workers, as Enzo was not known for his benevolence. Landi had good fights with Fangio in south american races, dividing with the argentinian most of the victories.
Was the mais inspiration of a generation of brazilian drivers that includes the Fittipaldi brothers and Jose Carlos Pace. When Pace first landed at Ferrari at the beggining of the 70's, Enzo's first question was "How is Landi? He was a hell of a racing driver!"
He drove until 1973 (with 66 years old!), scoring a third place at the traditional 24 hs of Interlagos. Died in 1989.

If you want additional information, just ask me!
(sorry about my english mistakes)
Old 17 Apr 2001, 17:50 (Ref:81641)   #54
Speed
Veteran

Panama
Panama, Rep. of Panama
Speed should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Faster
3-there's no #3 for lack of quality...
Welcome aboard Faster, but, let me tell you something, I think Ralf's Girl didn't like this comment at all... (LOL)

Ohhh, there's something else...
Quote:
3-Francisco Landi (best brazilian racing driver ever!...
What about Senna ???
Old 17 Apr 2001, 18:02 (Ref:81646)   #55
R
Veteran

R should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That's a little bit funny, because I used to think all Brazilians thought Senna was the best driver ever. Not so...

A little bit refreshing really, though he's top of my list together with Jim Clark.
Old 17 Apr 2001, 18:08 (Ref:81650)   #56
Faster
Racer

Faster should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Speed,

It's just my opinion. There would be no Senna if there were no Piquet - no Piquet if there were no Emerson - no Emerson if there were no Landi!

It was Landi the one who prooved that a poor and savage south american country, with an absolutely ridiculous car industry, could produce amazing racing drivers. Therefore I take him as the best...

And, believe me, there are some brazilians that wouldn't rate Senna as one of the all time top ten drivers - myself included... I just agree with Mansell's opinion. ("Senna doesn't respect the ethics of racing" - told in 1988 to the brazilian journalist Nice Ribero).

But opinions are just opinions, they never are the naked truth.
Old 17 Apr 2001, 19:03 (Ref:81671)   #57
Speed
Veteran

Panama
Panama, Rep. of Panama
Speed should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
no Landi if there were no Henry Ford, no Henry Ford if there were no Hennry's mom...... (just kidding).

Ok, F, don't get me wrong, I know it's your opinion and I respect that; was merely curiosity.