Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

View Poll Results: What score do you give the race?
10 14 22.22%
9 26 41.27%
8 13 20.63%
7 8 12.70%
6 0 0%
5 0 0%
4 0 0%
3 2 3.17%
2 0 0%
1 0 0%
Voters: 63. You may not vote on this poll

Old 28 Jul 2014, 09:42 (Ref:3439228)   #26
numbersix
Pie On 'ere
Veteran

England
Smaug. Desolation of.
numbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I gave it an eight when perhaps it deserved a nine.

I am having difficulty with the artificiality of it all. Yes, it was exciting (which is probably the point) but it seemed to be down to tyre choices. Ricciardo (whom I admire and applaud) basically roared ahead on good tyres. Much the same for Rosberg. I'm not at all sure if that's what F1 should be about.
Old 28 Jul 2014, 11:49 (Ref:3439273)   #27
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
10 from me. Hamilton from the back, great drives from Ricciardo, Bottas and Alonso (and others). Dicing, no one car particularly dominant, rain, reliability, position changes...

Yeah, that was a good one.
Old 28 Jul 2014, 13:02 (Ref:3439301)   #28
stripedcat
Veteran

stripedcat should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridstripedcat should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Smith View Post
I'm going to give it a 7, a lot of the time the race was under safety car or double waved yellows, there wasn't much racing until the final 20 or so laps. The entertainment factor what with all the cars spinning and hitting eachother (thankfully no one walked away with serious injuries) was quite interesting. Riccardo had a solid drive aswell, that's why I'm rating the race a 7.
Yeah - I'm sort of in agreement with you on that. There's no doubting that the wet track played a part in this chaotic race. It was interesting to see a fightback drive from Hamilton to the front - even if he has the best car to do it - Hungary isn't a place known for passing - even with Bernie's Magical DRS. There was some solid entertainment at the front of the field (Alonso, Riccardio, Hamilton, Rosberg, Button(if only he had chosen the right tyres!).

A bit of a lottery - but still an interesting race for F1. Not the highpoint of the season for me(that's still Bahrain) - but a very strong 7.
Old 28 Jul 2014, 15:35 (Ref:3439348)   #29
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!
Gave it a 9 - might have been even better if we'd been able to watch all the battles going on simultaneously It could be argued to be artificial because of tyre choices, but as an object lesson in the ability of different drivers to deal with varying conditions, it was unparalleled.
Old 28 Jul 2014, 15:50 (Ref:3439355)   #30
Kempi
Veteran

Germany
Düsseldorf, Germany
Kempi should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKempi should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by numbersix View Post

I am having difficulty with the artificiality of it all. Yes, it was exciting (which is probably the point) but it seemed to be down to tyre choices. Ricciardo (whom I admire and applaud) basically roared ahead on good tyres. Much the same for Rosberg. I'm not at all sure if that's what F1 should be about.
If you came to the conclusion that it was not, what would it be about?

Seriously, tyre management is part of racing and has always been in F1 as well. Yes, we could debate whether the mandatory use of two different compounds should be part but making the most of your tyres and using your advantage out of it has almost always made for good racing. One example could be Nige vs. Ayrton in Monaco 92. There are plenty of older ones as well.
Old 28 Jul 2014, 16:00 (Ref:3439362)   #31
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by numbersix View Post

not good tires but tires in better condition and that comes down to strategy.

as we have seen with LH and NR a few times this season when they both find themselves on different compounds at the end of the race they are very close during the final laps and there is not much between them.

actually think the balance in compounds this year has been about as perfect as you can get it.

considering all the grief we have given Pirelli over the past few years i thinks its about time we started applauding them in equal measure for what they have created for this year.
Old 28 Jul 2014, 20:08 (Ref:3439435)   #32
numbersix
Pie On 'ere
Veteran

England
Smaug. Desolation of.
numbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kempi View Post
If you came to the conclusion that it was not, what would it be about?
Racing?

I take your point about tyre management but there's a tipping point between, once the race starts - it's a race, and once the race starts - it's a project management exercise. I think the balance is far the wrong way.

But the racing was good and exciting, so I've just shot my premise up it's own orifice.
Old 28 Jul 2014, 20:30 (Ref:3439441)   #33
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Nicely put......
Old 28 Jul 2014, 21:11 (Ref:3439455)   #34
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
7, not bad at all.
Old 31 Jul 2014, 16:00 (Ref:3440456)   #35
Mekola
Veteran

Kiribati
Atlantis
Mekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Drama. Good action. 7.
Old 2 Aug 2014, 21:41 (Ref:3441075)   #36
TrapezeArtist
Veteran

United Kingdom
England
TrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid

Minus 1 because much of the excitement was generated by the "safety" car.
Minus 1 because the BBC highlights were confusing, though not as bad as sometimes.
Old 10 Aug 2014, 12:34 (Ref:3443015)   #37
codename_47
Veteran

United Kingdom
Coventry/Birmingham
codename_47 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcodename_47 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ridiculous posts in this thread.

Feels like a few stubborn children are served a delicious meal by their parents at the dinner table and they're turning their nose up at it due to their own preconceptions.

F1 should and always will be about racing, and at the moment, for its many off track faults, you cannot fault the on track product at the moment, not one bit.
Or would people prefer the era of ten years ago where the aero dependance meant the cars couldn't follow each other closely and refuelling meant they were racing on completely different parts of the track and the only passing was during pit stops?

As to the awful comments about the safety car and artificiality?
Well, the safety car came out, not NASCAR style for a bit of paper on track, but for two huge crashes that needed a hell of a lot of cleaning up
Or would people prefer the heroic marshals to further risk their lives by having to clean up a wrecked car on the start finish straight under waved yellows like the nadir of Hockenheim?
The SC is about safety, anything it does to the show is merely a side effect, get over it.

9/10 race for me, we're being treated this season to fabulous on track entertainment and that, more than anything else, is what F1 is all about.