Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > ACO Regulated Series

Old 2 Mar 2008, 22:13 (Ref:2142721)   #76
TRuss
Veteran

TRuss should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTRuss should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think they just want the cars to have styling cues based on the road cars. Kind of how Audi has done with the R8 and R10. More so the R8. Especially the original version, which came about in the time that I think the ACO is trying to recreate. The Porsche 911 GT1s, the Mercedes CLK-GTR and CLR. Cars like that. At least that's how I originally interpreted it. I'd like to see cars like that. I don't see the need to mandate coupes though, no matter how much I'm partial to them.
Old 2 Mar 2008, 22:21 (Ref:2142734)   #77
canam
Veteran

canam should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcanam should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by KA
At least the second one is a real car and could be out on the track today
Old 2 Mar 2008, 22:45 (Ref:2142751)   #78
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed-King
Umm, yeah ,but take a look at todays LMS test day results and Audi being 3 seconds faster than Peugeot last year on a relatively short, though fast track. What will this mean at Le Mans? While I don't think that the 3.20 barrier will fall, the Audis and Peugeots might come very close in qualifying...
For the first time in almost 10 years we have an arms race between two big factories, it's only natural that these factories will push the envelope quite a bit.

And the evolution of the petrol cars -while being admittedly slower - doesn't stand still either. I wouldn't be surprised if the Aston-Lola or Oreca went below 3.30.
The Pescarolo ran a 3.28 at the test day last year, but during the race they were 5 seconds slower, the diesels ran sub 3.30 during qualifying and the race.

The quickest petrol car should be around 3.26/7 in qualifying, which is acceptable to the ACO, just like the diesels last year.

For '09 I'd expect all P1's to recieve smaller wings/splitters, a slight restrictor cut for the petrol cars, a bigger one for the diesels.

This won't neccessarily slow them down, but peg them at current pace in the face of the arm's race in P1.
Old 2 Mar 2008, 22:50 (Ref:2142755)   #79
SebringMG
Veteran

United Kingdom
SebringMG should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hmmm hope that the Dome makes it out testing soon
Old 3 Mar 2008, 16:05 (Ref:2143352)   #80
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRuss
I think they just want the cars to have styling cues based on the road cars. Kind of how Audi has done with the R8 and R10. More so the R8. Especially the original version, which came about in the time that I think the ACO is trying to recreate. The Porsche 911 GT1s, the Mercedes CLK-GTR and CLR. Cars like that. At least that's how I originally interpreted it. I'd like to see cars like that. I don't see the need to mandate coupes though, no matter how much I'm partial to them.
I think this is what ACO wants
Old 3 Mar 2008, 19:13 (Ref:2143521)   #81
minimangler
Veteran

Wales
Leftfield, somewhere.
minimangler should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE
I think this is what ACO wants
Agreed. Will they get it? They should mandate some kind of production base, if that's what they want. I'd like to see LM stay as a prototype race, see stuff actually developed for the road there, but well ahead of its time.
Old 3 Mar 2008, 19:28 (Ref:2143530)   #82
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
ACO will do what big manufacturers (like Audi, Peugeot & Acura) want.
Old 3 Mar 2008, 20:49 (Ref:2143578)   #83
wapomumalo
Rookie

Spain
Galiza
wapomumalo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed-King
Umm, yeah ,but take a look at todays LMS test day results and Audi being 3 seconds faster than Peugeot last year on a relatively short, though fast track. What will this mean at Le Mans? While I don't think that the 3.20 barrier will fall, the Audis and Peugeots might come very close in qualifying...
For the first time in almost 10 years we have an arms race between two big factories, it's only natural that these factories will push the envelope quite a bit.

And the evolution of the petrol cars -while being admittedly slower - doesn't stand still either. I wouldn't be surprised if the Aston-Lola or Oreca went below 3.30.
The main reason because ALL cars and not only AUDI are running 3-4 seconds faster than last year is...

THE TIRES!!!

Michelin and Dunlop had been working hard to provide their teams with the highest performance tires never seen on endurance...specially Michelin...The Pug´s are about 1-2 seconds faster than any AUDI on Quali Trim at any of the LMES-ALMS track...race is different issue anyway.

I´m glad to see some teams making huge improvements like Creation wonderful looking blue cars or Courage-Orecas both on top of the Petrol Alliance Fighting Club.

Great fight xpected for LMS...on Eurosport finally.
Old 5 Mar 2008, 01:41 (Ref:2144611)   #84
minimangler
Veteran

Wales
Leftfield, somewhere.
minimangler should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This is so besides the point, but what a screen name! welcome to ten-tenths!
Old 5 Mar 2008, 01:54 (Ref:2144618)   #85
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by minimangler
Agreed. Will they get it? They should mandate some kind of production base, if that's what they want. I'd like to see LM stay as a prototype race, see stuff actually developed for the road there, but well ahead of its time.
The ACO, long term, want protoypes with looks closer to a '99 era Mercedes CLR, even Group C1 cars, i.e no single seater nose etc, not road cars.

Road car based racers appear to be an ever lower priority for the ACO, IMO, partly due to the fact the ACO can point to Le Mans prototypes as R&D platforms for 'green' road cars, rather than simply racing current tech road cars for the fun of it.
Old 10 Mar 2008, 06:22 (Ref:2148013)   #86
templer
Racer

templer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtempler should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Have a look at www.dome.co.jp/news/news/dt_83-html.
The car is ready and it looks stunning. Ultra-low sidepodes with an interesting detailed diffusor exit and a nice cockpit shape.

Regards

Markus
Old 10 Mar 2008, 06:23 (Ref:2148015)   #87
templer
Racer

templer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtempler should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Have a look at www.dome.co.jp/news/news/dt_83.html.
The car is ready and it looks stunning. Ultra-low sidepodes with an interesting detailed diffusor exit and a nice cockpit shape.

Regards

Markus

Sorry the link was wrong
Old 10 Mar 2008, 07:48 (Ref:2148057)   #88
gwyllion
Veteran

Belgium
gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!
The car will have very small head lights. I love the rear mirrors... wait I love the whole car
Old 10 Mar 2008, 08:14 (Ref:2148075)   #89
Mal
Veteran

England
London
Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!
Thats the best looking coupe so far
Old 10 Mar 2008, 08:20 (Ref:2148077)   #90
Dani Filth
Race Official
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest
Dani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I'm In Love

from this angle . it has a very GroupC look imho
http://www.dome.co.jp/news/news/upimg/S102_02.jpg

Last edited by Dani Filth; 10 Mar 2008 at 08:22.

Ciao Marco
Old 10 Mar 2008, 08:21 (Ref:2148080)   #91
gucom
Racer

gucom should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mal
Thats the best looking coupe so far
true, easily the best looking it reminds me of the CLR from some angles by the way... this looks so much better than the Pug, EE or Lola... I really hope it'll prove to be fast as well...
Old 10 Mar 2008, 08:27 (Ref:2148086)   #92
nobster
Veteran

Netherlands
Eindhoven, de gekste!!!!
nobster has a real shot at the podium!nobster has a real shot at the podium!nobster has a real shot at the podium!nobster has a real shot at the podium!
Too bad we won't have Racing for Holland this year showing this car.
They deserved to be involved more in this project after putting Dome (back)on the map with their titles in sportscar racing.
Still think this car lookes very nice indeed.
Old 10 Mar 2008, 09:06 (Ref:2148104)   #93
gwyllion
Veteran

Belgium
gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!
These pictures should really silence everybody complaining about Dome getting a Le Mans entry without LMS participation
Old 10 Mar 2008, 09:13 (Ref:2148108)   #94
canam
Veteran

canam should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcanam should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I almost hate to say it but... the more I see of these coupes, the less I like the look of them. The cockpit section looks like a barnacle attached to the a 'proper' car. From the front, none of them look right. The profile is the best aspect of these cars. This Dome looks even more like a DP than the others. It seems to have a short/squashed wheelbase.

Looking at the photos, the Dome has more work to be done (no lights, no restrictors (as far as I can see). Lights look quite low in the car and are small. Will that be enough for any night racing?

When will it be shaken down?
Old 10 Mar 2008, 09:44 (Ref:2148135)   #95
gwyllion
Veteran

Belgium
According to http://translate.google.com/translat...ews/dt_83.html there is some delay in the delivery of the Xtrac gearbox. If this arrives, the car will be assembled further. So expect a shakedown on a Japenese track at the end of this month.
Old 10 Mar 2008, 09:49 (Ref:2148139)   #96
templer
Racer

I don't think the new coupes look bad. They all look much much better than the open cars and are real followers of the legendary group c with a more advanced look. The Dome doesn't look like a DP. The cockpit shape is much smaller and the whole bodywork is significantly lower than on a DP.
THe Dome had a very long wheelbase from 2900 mm and is in the region from Porsche and Epsilon.
The small openings at the front are brake intakes and no headlights.
Old 10 Mar 2008, 10:22 (Ref:2148176)   #97
canam
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by templer
I don't think the new coupes look bad. They all look much much better than the open cars and are real followers of the legendary group c with a more advanced look. The Dome doesn't look like a DP. The cockpit shape is much smaller and the whole bodywork is significantly lower than on a DP.
THe Dome had a very long wheelbase from 2900 mm and is in the region from Porsche and Epsilon.
The small openings at the front are brake intakes and no headlights.
I thought as much but with no headlights on the car at all, it could be confusing. I must say, the car looks quite truncated.

Are these real photos? as they still look a bit like a photo-shopped version of some kind of CAD file with shadows added.
Old 10 Mar 2008, 12:18 (Ref:2148239)   #98
gucom
Racer

gucom should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by canam
Are these real photos? as they still look a bit like a photo-shopped version of some kind of CAD file with shadows added.
I'm pretty sure the pics are real... in the profile picture, look at the distortion of the right front wheelarch/fender in the windscreen, that doesn't look photoshopped to me...

As for the restrictors, if you have a laptop, look at the screen from above (so it's lighter) then you'll see the restrictors in the roof air scoop.
Old 10 Mar 2008, 12:39 (Ref:2148255)   #99
Alex Hodgkinson
Veteran

England
Derby
Alex Hodgkinson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Interesting, the centre section reminds me of the Nissan P35/NP35. Now all we need is the rules to push for a prettier looking rear end and removal of the F1-esque nosecones... and it'll be looking like something from the good old days
Old 10 Mar 2008, 13:41 (Ref:2148322)   #100
canam
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by gucom
I'm pretty sure the pics are real... in the profile picture, look at the distortion of the right front wheelarch/fender in the windscreen, that doesn't look photoshopped to me...

As for the restrictors, if you have a laptop, look at the screen from above (so it's lighter) then you'll see the restrictors in the roof air scoop.
Have a look at www.bunkspeed.com (hopefully I won't get a red card with the mods on this link) for an idea on how current over-the-counter software can be applied to CAD files etc both in a static sense and in a dynamic sense. The renditions do not appear to be photos to me.

On the other hand, I have absolutely no doubt that the Dome will emerge, but with most of the other Protos out and running (with the exception of the Tokai University car), they probably are under a bit of pressure to show something...and rightly so.