Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Clubmans Rallycross Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Other Motorsports > Rallying & Rallycross

Old 14 Jun 2010, 23:25 (Ref:2712289)   #76
Thundersports
Veteran

Balearic Islands
On the dark side of the moon
Thundersports should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Simon Hill is a top bloke and a great commentator.
Old 15 Jun 2010, 06:32 (Ref:2712383)   #77
Mad Mark Watson
Racer

England
barnard castle
Mad Mark Watson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
TO all involved we had a really good event from our side and from organisation too ! Enjoyd being back at Blyton as i like the event. There was a good crowd that was genuinely interested in rallycross and they enjoyed being able and having time to look around pits. I enjoyed the night part too very well put together.
I cant comment on TV as hotel isnt allowed sky at a reasonable rate but I know Simon and usually is a good commentator and does his research another voice who we fnd good is David Addison I think we need a regular commentator who gets continuity.
I do think the presenter should wander around pits more and chat to drivers to fill in ask whats going on rather than feature just race winner as usually there has been more going on behind the winner.
Any way 10 out of 10 from our team you will see me at Mashmechelen!!!

Mad
Old 15 Jun 2010, 07:54 (Ref:2712418)   #78
AndyS
Veteran

England
N Yorks
AndyS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Walker 36 View Post
Anybody watched the ERC coverage from Hungary on Motors yet? Ive watched it and was impressed with the new commentator, didn't catch his name but he's very good with names, history and JOKER LAP! Wayhay!
Agreed, much improved. Mark Cole is a decent commentator, but rallycross is not his thing. Unable to get to Blyton at the weekend due to a touch of the deli belly, haven't watched the coverage yet, sounds like Mr Lee's been at it again!

I've given up on trying to get to any events this year, between the birth of my daughter, illness, work and family commitments and no events in the North it ain't panning out for me. Was eying Mallory in September but it looks like I'll be on my hols. TV is becoming a bit of a vital link for me and as a result I'm starting to realise the importance of getting the presentation and commentary right. Big strides are being made, but this is one area in which it is falling short at the moment. Still room for improvement.
Old 15 Jun 2010, 09:26 (Ref:2712464)   #79
chasing cars
Racer

chasing cars should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just to clarify, Simon Hill did the commentry for the ERC Hungary rnd & was excellent did'nt catch the full name of the main guy who did Blyton (Richardson?)& i didnt think he was to bad (particually as he had to put up with Barry Lee next to him). David Addison did the open from Nutts & yes he is very good as well, & in fairness to Martin Haven i thought he was ok when he did Lydden last August, he went downhill when joined by BL.

So the main issue is the co commentator & so called expert. There must be an ex rallycross driver or one currently without a budget who could do a much better job of it. Any suggestions?
Old 15 Jun 2010, 12:08 (Ref:2712530)   #80
AndyS
Veteran

England
N Yorks
Will Gollop is the obvious one. They've got to be confortable behind the mic as well, someone like Mad Mark would be excellent but he's a bit busy racing! David Addison and Simon Hill seem to have done the best job so far. Rightly or wrongly I get the feeling Rallycross is a bit of an after thought at Motors TV. They just seem to put whoever is available in rather than having a dedicated team like they do for endurance racing for example. I know rallycross is not as high profile but it would help. Ten out of ten for the increased coverage, just need to sort out the actual broadcasts now. Hopefully LHMC/BRC will have some imput and can crack the whip.
Old 15 Jun 2010, 12:23 (Ref:2712535)   #81
schanche
Veteran

England
5OUTH E4ST
schanche should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If A.D not avalible then I would suggest GM! contraversial but could build bridges Proven knowledge and top commentator just look at my video post's on my channel!!!!!
If it makes the whole spectacle better for the TV coverage then easy decision really !
Old 15 Jun 2010, 16:02 (Ref:2712641)   #82
AndyS
Veteran

England
N Yorks
Excellent suggestion, hadn't thought of that.
Old 15 Jun 2010, 17:06 (Ref:2712673)   #83
schanche
Veteran

England
5OUTH E4ST
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyS View Post
Excellent suggestion, hadn't thought of that.
Yep I know Obvious choice really!
First occured to me at Lydden when I heard that Arthur wasn't well,I new Bill was going on the Monday and thought maybe he might get asked but Chris didnt do too bad a job really. But for good coverage on TV either Arthur Track side and Bill on the Live on TV with Links back to Arthur during the Heats as fill ins in the Gaps, they would bounce of each other Im sure and keep us all Interested and make it more watchable for TV Land..

And unite Rallycross of course aswell Seeemples
Old 15 Jun 2010, 17:28 (Ref:2712685)   #84
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Apparently if you only bat for one side you can;t win!! Apparently!! lol
Old 15 Jun 2010, 18:03 (Ref:2712700)   #85
acer
Rookie

acer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Who are GM and Bill?
Old 15 Jun 2010, 18:14 (Ref:2712711)   #86
GM!
Rookie

United Kingdom
Yorkshire
GM! should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by schanche View Post
If A.D not avalible then I would suggest GM! contraversial but could build bridges Proven knowledge and top commentator just look at my video post's on my channel!!!!!
If it makes the whole spectacle better for the TV coverage then easy decision really !
I'm blushing now!

Rallycross needs a united front - that's one way to start. I prefer to think positive rather than negative.

And speaking of negative (do you like the link!) I was going through some old ones recently and thought it might be a good idea to scan the pics and put them on line so people can browse them and get nostalgic. There's loads, so it would take a while. For now though, here's two that are sort of topical to this thread. The first should be familiar and was taken at Mallory Park in 1979 when things weren't going too well with the Opel. Sorry the quality is poor, but did better with the second one taken with Mick Collard at Brands during the British Rallycross GP in Dec 1983. Feel free to print and paste on a dartboard - whooops, naughty, smack hands!

Old 15 Jun 2010, 21:37 (Ref:2712847)   #87
Mad Mark Watson
Racer

England
barnard castle
Mad Mark Watson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
[QUOTE=AndyS;2712530]Will Gollop is the obvious one. They've got to be confortable behind the mic as well, someone like Mad Mark would be excellent but he's a bit busy racing! QUOTE]

i started commentating thats how i got into racing i would love to do it again if i wasnt racing but i do think they want a roving mic in pits to interview drivers teams mechanics etc to fill in alittle
Old 15 Jun 2010, 22:20 (Ref:2712871)   #88
schanche
Veteran

England
5OUTH E4ST
Quote:
Originally Posted by acer View Post
Who are GM and Bill?

Bill was extensively involved in the sport during the late 70’s and throughout the 1980’s covering both British and European events. He became the regular Rallycross correspondent to Motoring News (as GM) and Autosport magazine before progressing to Rallycross commentator for Screensport. He is probably best remembered for his book ‘Drive it! – The Complete Book of Rallycross’, which many fans of Rallycross still refer to even today!

“Despite being absent for some time I’ve never really lost touch with Rallycross.” comments Bill. “Time and work has kept me away for too long from what I think is the most exciting form of motorsport for drivers and spectators alike.

Just to clarify Im not a stalker lol!
Just want this new lease of life rallycross is currently experiancing to continue and not die a death again
Old 16 Jun 2010, 12:01 (Ref:2713123)   #89
AndyS
Veteran

England
N Yorks
Watched the coverage last night, looked a great meeting. Whenever I've been to Blyton before the grids have always been a bit thin, I think doing the night thing there was a great way of lifting the event. Good to see that they are trying to do things with the events outside Lydden.

As to Mad Mark's suggestion of a roving reporter, excellent idea. I've always thought Suzi Perry did an excellent job of this with the Superbikes. She was good in front of the camera, easy on the eye and knew what she was talking about. I'm not into bikes but it made me tune in! Obviously she's not going to be doing Rallycross, but somebody along those lines would do the trick. I'm sure a few of you will have some suggestions!
Old 23 Jun 2010, 17:48 (Ref:2716974)   #90
BOY BLUNDER
Veteran

England
margate
BOY BLUNDER should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I understand that there is some pictures of the night race now on www.rallyxpics.com,im now going to belgium toooo :-)

BB....
Old 23 Jun 2010, 21:28 (Ref:2717095)   #91
dcdesign
Racer

Belgium
Oostmalle, Antwerp
dcdesign should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Certainly do that...

On saturday we have our regional drivers racing, it is normally good for 75-90 drivers, divided over 3 classes... they don't use the jokerlap, so you actually can compare racing with jokerlap to racing without...

And on sunday, we have the british and the belgium nationals, and you could already see at lydden that this give fantastic racing

So see you at the duivelsberg
Old 26 Jun 2010, 16:21 (Ref:2718259)   #92
BOY BLUNDER
Veteran

England
margate
BOY BLUNDER should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I shall be there sometime the saturday i think and i cant wait.

BB....