Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

View Poll Results: What score out of ten do you give this year's German Grand Prix from Hockenheim?
10 0 0%
9 11 19.30%
8 27 47.37%
7 13 22.81%
6 2 3.51%
5 3 5.26%
4 0 0%
3 0 0%
2 1 1.75%
1 0 0%
Voters: 57. You may not vote on this poll

Old 20 Jul 2014, 13:48 (Ref:3435849)   #1
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Rate the race: German Grand Prix 2014

What score out of ten do you give this year's German Grand Prix from Hockenheim?
Old 20 Jul 2014, 13:54 (Ref:3435854)   #2
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Hugely entertaining, 9/10.
Old 20 Jul 2014, 13:55 (Ref:3435856)   #3
TheNo1F1Fan
Veteran

Denmark
TheNo1F1Fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTheNo1F1Fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I was about to rate the race lower due to Magnussen and Massa's Turn 1 crash, but Magnussen's recovery and a points finish, various battles Ricciardo made and Bottas' third podium made me rate the race higher than that.
Old 20 Jul 2014, 14:28 (Ref:3435870)   #4
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!
A solid 8.

Was a 6-7 for me for some time, as the race completely died mid-way through. All came alive when Alonso/Ricciardo had that awesome 4 lap battle.

Selby
Old 20 Jul 2014, 15:15 (Ref:3435890)   #5
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
That was a good race, with a fair bit of incident, Lewis's drive from 20th to 3rd and some good battles, particularly Alonso and Ricciardo, which lasted several laps. Just when you thought Ricciardo had got it done, Alonso came back. It dis die off a bit in the middle.

Old 20 Jul 2014, 16:10 (Ref:3435909)   #6
F1Pete
Veteran

Canada
Sudbury, Ontario, Canada
F1Pete should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridF1Pete should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It was okay. Lots of empty seats.
Old 20 Jul 2014, 16:19 (Ref:3435913)   #7
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
7, good race.
Old 20 Jul 2014, 19:01 (Ref:3435935)   #8
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
8.... I enjoyed this race, some nice clean racing..
Old 20 Jul 2014, 19:15 (Ref:3435941)   #9
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I enjoyed it but the fuel saving has got to go.
Old 20 Jul 2014, 19:34 (Ref:3435944)   #10
stripedcat
Veteran

stripedcat should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridstripedcat should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Actually a very good race. 8/10 from me. I'd put it as the third best race of the season so far(after Bahrain and Silverstone). Lewis' drive from 20th was exciting - especially the three abreast tussle with Kimi and Danny Boy. Vettel and Alonso was great to watch as well. As was Alonso and Danny Boy. Some really good battles down the field. I suppose the tight layout of the circuit helped - even if it is a bit soulless compared to its predecessor.
Old 20 Jul 2014, 19:40 (Ref:3435945)   #11
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I only saw the highlights, but I enjoyed it quite a lot. Lots of good battling and not just push-button overtakes. 8.
Old 20 Jul 2014, 20:11 (Ref:3435962)   #12
alan1302
Racer

England
Doncaster, UK
alan1302 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by F1Pete View Post
Do the number of empty seats affect how good or bad a race is?
Old 20 Jul 2014, 20:26 (Ref:3435968)   #13
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
Enjoyed the race especially the good battles further down so gave it a 9
Old 20 Jul 2014, 20:28 (Ref:3435969)   #14
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by F1Pete View Post
I noticed the empty seats.
Old 20 Jul 2014, 20:42 (Ref:3435975)   #15
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHamilton View Post
I agree its just ridiculous..
Old 20 Jul 2014, 22:25 (Ref:3436005)   #16
TrapezeArtist
Veteran

United Kingdom
England
TrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid

Another highly entertaining race, just slightly spoilt by having to watch it on the BBC highlights programme. I'm not down-grading the score because of the BBC; it's just that I don't know if it deserved a higher score.
Old 20 Jul 2014, 23:15 (Ref:3436020)   #17
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Sooner the better, this should be sprint racing.

The tyres were also a pain, stop after stop after stop.

Gave it a 5, there was some good action, but I found the race strangely uninvolving, the DRS passes really bugged me here; first time; with cars like Lewis; who I gave DOTR; simply blowing past other cars, good effort by Bottas to keep the Mercedes behind him!
Alonso and the two RBRs were good though!
Rosberg, saw once at the start and then on the podium, job done!

In the end it was somehow just unsatisfying and disappointing!

Last edited by wnut; 20 Jul 2014 at 23:22.
Old 21 Jul 2014, 02:01 (Ref:3436066)   #18
Teretonga
Veteran

Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremySmith View Post
I agree its just ridiculous..
But is it ridiculous?
In endurance racing fuel consumption is a part of regular competition.
With refuelling allowed, consumption was still important in F1 because it was still something that enabled you to get an advantage over your opposition.

In Indy racing in the US, now or in the CART era, it was still a skill that many successful racers had perfected.
In the mid 1980's the FIA reduced the fuel to be used at the time they reduced the amount of boost allowed so its not 'new' to F1.
And the mid 80's was a time of intense engine manufacturer competition.

So I don't buy the argument that they fuel limitation is harming competition.
It may reduce the competition in a purists view of what the WDC is about, but it is not detracting from the championship battle. It is just another aspect of power unit management.

That may not be to a purist view of competition, but it is still a skill drivers need to master. Managing your fuel has always been that way, in all forms of motor racing competition.
Old 21 Jul 2014, 02:14 (Ref:3436068)   #19
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teretonga View Post

So I don't buy the argument that they fuel limitation is harming competition.
Fuel usage dictated by competition and usage mandated by series organizers are two different things.

It has always been the goal of engine builders to produce the most amount of power with the least amount of fuel. Let the racing push innovation.
Old 21 Jul 2014, 02:21 (Ref:3436073)   #20
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Fuel usage dictated by competition and usage mandated by series organizers are two different things.

It has always been the goal of engine builders to produce the most amount of power with the least amount of fuel. Let the racing push innovation.
Old 21 Jul 2014, 03:31 (Ref:3436091)   #21
Neil22
Veteran

United States
Nor Cal
Neil22 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
7 for me. Shame about the crowd, prices brings them in or keeps them out.
Old 21 Jul 2014, 04:58 (Ref:3436100)   #22
JacobP
Racer

JacobP should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I gave 8 out of 10. The overtaking at that hairpin involving tire rubbing and bumping was a good show.
Old 21 Jul 2014, 08:40 (Ref:3436158)   #23
steve_r
Veteran

Lord Howe Island
European Capital of Culture 2008
steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!
8. Great race. Lots of wheel-to-wheel action. As always, having a couple of cars out of position, generally results in a more interesting race. These compact tracks (Hockenhaim and Austria) both produced exciting races this season.
Old 21 Jul 2014, 12:59 (Ref:3436234)   #24
IceMan_PJN
Racer

United States
Ohio
IceMan_PJN has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!

Pretty good action. Up front was pretty uninspired, but some of the battles farther back were nice, and of course Lewis and Daniel working through the field from back to near the front.
Old 21 Jul 2014, 14:00 (Ref:3436251)   #25
Grandpa_Rob
Racer

Australia
Oz
Grandpa_Rob should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That's a 9, was sitting on the edge of my chair for quite a bit of that action packed race great driving and ballsy passes .