Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 28 Sep 2018, 10:44 (Ref:3853105)   #1
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Russian Grand Prix 2018: Grand Prix Weekend Thread

The globalisation of Formula 1 that has been in process since the 1990s has been mostly concentrated in Asia - the far East in the beginning and latterly in the Middle East, but with Grand Prix racing returning to Mexico, arriving in Azerbaijan and also hitting Russia, it is now branching out.

Truth be told, Sochi was the first Formula 1 race in Russia, but not the first Grand Prix. That was held in 1913 in St. Petersberg and was won by Russian driver Georgy Suvorin in a Benz. It was held the next year, but was never reinstated after World War 1.

There were plans for a race in Moscow in the early 80s; the race was even included on a provisional calendar for 1983 as Grand Prix of the Soviet Union.

In 2010, the Sochi race was announced. All too often, Olympic facilities are not exploited to their maximum after the fortnight’s festival of sport has vanished. In constructing the circuit around the Olympic park, the organisers have at least created a sporting connection with the area.

Winding its way around the facilities, Sochi is not exactly a street track in the traditional sense, much more akin to Valencia in feel than Singapore. It’s almost a kilometre longer than the latter country’s Marina Bay circuit, but the Sochi Autodrom throws up a quicker lap time.

At the end of the start-finish straight, drivers go into the gentle right-hand kink of Turn 1 before reaching between 320 and 330kph before Turn 2, at which point they go 90 right, before the track almost immediately arcs left through the very long Turn 3. They spend around six seconds in this corner, at about 280kph before quickly switching right through the 90 degree Turn 4.

A short straight follows which is punctuated by another 90 right at 5, before a gentle kink at Turn 6. They exit the next right-hander at around 160kph before then going through the double corner of 8 and 9. After another right-hander, they enter Sector 2 and a long straight, Turn 11 being the slight right-hand bend (DRS Activation Zone 2 is here) before braking at around 330kph while taking a tiny left-hand kink at Turn 12, which switches right and approaches the slower Sector 3.

A left-hand curve at Turn 14 is followed by a slow left-hander at 15 and three slow right-handers at 16, 17 and 18, which brings the drivers into DRS Activation Zone 1 and the start-finish straight.

The Grand Prix has shifted from the autumn to the spring and now back again to the autumn.

Constructors’ championship standings: https://www.formula1.com/en/results.html/2018/team.html

Drivers' championship standings: https://www.formula1.com/en/results....8/drivers.html

Russian Grand Prix tyre selections: https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/13...sia-tyre-picks

Circuit length: 5.848km
Number of laps: 53
Race distance: 309.745km
Dry weather tyre compounds: Hypersoft, Ultrasoft and Soft
DRS Detection Zone 1: before Turn 1
DRS Activation Zone 1: between Turns 1 and 2
DRS Detection Zone 2: between Turns 9 and 10
DRS Activation Zone 2: between Turns 10 and 13
Speed trap: on start-finish straight

Race Lap Record: 1:36.844 (2017 – Kimi Räikkönen - Ferrari)
First Russian Grand Prix: 1913
First World Championship Grand Prix: 2014
Old 28 Sep 2018, 12:29 (Ref:3853119)   #2
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Well done. Although this thread appears to have garnered about as much interest as the race is likely to provide.
Old 28 Sep 2018, 13:22 (Ref:3853126)   #3
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Vettel fastest in P1, but can he sustain the pace in Qualifying?
Old 28 Sep 2018, 14:53 (Ref:3853140)   #4
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
Well done. Although this thread appears to have garnered about as much interest as the race is likely to provide.
Thanks Peter, you're helping me to make up my mind. Due to the TV timings on Channel 4 I'm going to have to record qualifying and the race to watch the following morning. Watching qualifying on Sunday will be doable because I'm not at work, but to watch the race on Monday would entail getting up at 4:30 so I could watch before leaving for work. I think I'll be getting up at my normal time and learning about the race on here instead on Monday!
Old 29 Sep 2018, 00:13 (Ref:3853191)   #5
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
If you watch this race you are an idiot.
Old 29 Sep 2018, 00:24 (Ref:3853192)   #6
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
Thanks for the intro BR - you really do a great job of that for all GPs.

My only option for any of the races now is delayed highlights and for sure some races even produce ordinary highlights as not much in the way of high points occurred. Let's hope for something better than ordinary this weekend.
Old 29 Sep 2018, 04:54 (Ref:3853213)   #7
jimclark
Veteran

United States
Champion Porsche/Audi territory
jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post
'Guess there's gonna be a few idiots around the world, huh?

I always thought I was one.

Now, on your word, I can be sure. Thanks for the affirmation.

jimclark
Old 29 Sep 2018, 06:39 (Ref:3853217)   #8
sizzle
Veteran

Australia
Darwin
sizzle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsizzle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post
With 2 Red Bulls at the back there might be some action
Old 29 Sep 2018, 08:03 (Ref:3853221)   #9
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Oh no, engine?

Edit. Checked, it’s not just them!
https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/13...gine-penalties
Old 29 Sep 2018, 08:46 (Ref:3853223)   #10
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I can't think of a word apt enough to describe this.
Old 29 Sep 2018, 09:00 (Ref:3853226)   #11
jimclark
Veteran

United States
jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
I can't think of a word apt enough to describe this.
I don't believe you.

Anywho, I'm ready for FP3 myself....

jimclark
Old 29 Sep 2018, 09:07 (Ref:3853228)   #12
EffectiveSprinkles
Veteran

EffectiveSprinkles User had had their licence endorsedEffectiveSprinkles User had had their licence endorsed
I'm skipping this one myself, Verstappen starting at the back could be fun but watching another Mercedes walkover doesn't interest me. The championship is over anyway.
Old 29 Sep 2018, 09:42 (Ref:3853235)   #13
jimclark
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by EffectiveSprinkles View Post
The championship is over anyway.
Which one?

Oh ye of little appreciation. Never give up (hope) if it's what drives you. '28% of the season still to go...

jimclark
Old 29 Sep 2018, 10:19 (Ref:3853238)   #14
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimclark View Post
Which one?

Oh ye of little appreciation. Never give up (hope) if it's what drives you. '28% of the season still to go...
2018, 19 and 20, live in hope someone else will win a race or two!
Old 29 Sep 2018, 12:24 (Ref:3853245)   #15
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Going into this race, Hamilton has a 40 point lead over Vettel and there are 6 races to go, including this one, with a maximum of 150 points. I think the Russian GP will be make or break for Vettel.
Old 29 Sep 2018, 13:04 (Ref:3853258)   #16
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
That was quite exciting. Mercedes 1 -2 with Bottas on pole and Vettel and Räikkönen 4th.
Old 29 Sep 2018, 20:35 (Ref:3853333)   #17
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
The excitement tomorrow will be the red bull cars coming through the field like a dose of epson salts. Should be good
Old 29 Sep 2018, 21:15 (Ref:3853338)   #18
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
That was quite exciting. Mercedes 1 -2 with Bottas on pole and Vettel and Räikkönen 4th.
Exciting?
Old 29 Sep 2018, 22:40 (Ref:3853350)   #19
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
The excitement of a Q1 where some drivers only objective was to qualify within 107%, and a non existent Q2 with more drivers spectating than driving?

As Alonso rightly pointed out, by far the best event of the day was the F2 support race, as he said:
Quote:
"For us it's OK, this is what we're used to and we follow whatever," said Alonso when asked about the qualifying spectacle. ''For the fans, it's maybe a problem.''

"It's more asking the fans what they think to have a nonsense Q1 and a not very important Q2.

"At least I think they enjoyed the F2 race.''

"It's definitely the most fun part of the day for the spectator."
Old 29 Sep 2018, 23:43 (Ref:3853355)   #20
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Exciting?
In my rush to get out the door, I forgot to add

Kimi, was nearly 2nd.

It's gotta be better than the race,

Last edited by bjohnsonsmith; 29 Sep 2018 at 23:49.
Old 29 Sep 2018, 23:43 (Ref:3853356)   #21
jimclark
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Exciting?
Absolutely!

10 different constructors/teams, different engines/drive-trains, 20 great drivers (well, 19 and Stroll...I've given up hope...) only 4 secs. apart on a 3.6 mile circuit? I'm always amazed and "excited".

'Glass half emptyor half full ???

No need to answer; 'rhetorical question. 'T'is a shame.

edit: 'Goosebumps already...only about 11 hours 'til race time!!!

jimclark
Old 30 Sep 2018, 00:05 (Ref:3853364)   #22
karting
Racer

karting should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I’m gonna call it now. Bottas was on Pole so Hamilton can get the row down to T1 and then just waltz away
Old 30 Sep 2018, 02:35 (Ref:3853388)   #23
jimclark
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by karting View Post
I’m gonna call it now. Bottas was on Pole so Hamilton can get the row down to T1 and then just waltz away
Beddy-bye time for rising in the a.m. but have this nagging feeling that SV might have something tomorrow. We shall see, shan't we?

jimclark
Old 30 Sep 2018, 04:18 (Ref:3853402)   #24
mstets
Racer

mstets should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimclark View Post
'Guess there's gonna be a few idiots around the world, huh?

I always thought I was one.

Now, on your word, I can be sure. Thanks for the affirmation.

"Always thought I was someone, turned out I was wrong". (Jayhawks, 1995)
Old 30 Sep 2018, 07:17 (Ref:3853414)   #25
jimclark
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstets View Post
"Always thought I was someone, turned out I was wrong". (Jayhawks, 1995)
Having what to do with the Russian GP?

Worry not tho'...you're someone...we all are.

5 hours and counting.

jimclark