Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 24 Jul 2012, 01:46 (Ref:3110600)   #1
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Mid-Ohio Sports Car Challenge

Round 6 of the ALMS 2012 season is less than 2 weeks away, and we get to see the debut of the Vipers!! The entry should be a bit larger compared to Mosport, but most of the additions will likely be in the challenge classes. This is a double header weekend with Indycar, so the track should be packed with fans.

Schedule

Entry List

Timing & Scoring

ESPN3 Video

ALMS Video

Track Map

Spotters Guide

Weather

World Times

Last edited by joeb; 26 Jul 2012 at 00:46. Reason: inserted link
Old 24 Jul 2012, 03:05 (Ref:3110611)   #2
Mac K
Rookie

Canada
Ontario,Canada
Mac K should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I though Indycar was skipping Mid Ohio this year? Excited to see the Viper debut in ALMS once again. Maybe not this year, but next year for sure the Viper vs Corvette battle will be fantastic. Looking forward to the race Mid Ohio is a fantastic track.
Old 24 Jul 2012, 08:09 (Ref:3110671)   #3
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
Which layout do they use? The full course, correct?

Last edited by TF110; 24 Jul 2012 at 08:14.
Old 24 Jul 2012, 09:12 (Ref:3110698)   #4
Deleted
Veteran

Deleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Sure. Mid-Ohio is my least favourite track of the season actually, though it's obviously much better for sportscars than it is for IndyCar. There's just something about it that doesn't thrill me... but oh well, I'm sure it'll be a fun weekend rain or shine and obviously the Vipers bring extra extra excitment.

US viewers particularly, please remember that the race will be not broadcasted live on ESPN3, only on ABC (and even that cuts off the first hour)
Old 24 Jul 2012, 09:19 (Ref:3110702)   #5
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
Thats stupid no live broadcast online. Well, at least I'll get to see the Vipers on the big screen!
Old 24 Jul 2012, 09:27 (Ref:3110706)   #6
Deleted
Veteran

Deleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I think it's still broadcasted online @ Europe though
http://tentenths.com/forum/showpost....postcount=2669

ESPN/ABC have really messed up the live TV broadcasting stuff this year, it's sad when you realize that a 90min highlight package of a 6 hour race is more comprehensive than a live broadcast of a 2h45min race that cuts off the first hour for no apparent reason.

ESPN America is also doing one-hour highlight reels for the series, and as funny as it sounds I actually found them to be more informative than the ESPN2/ABC ones. You know, they actually show some coverage of qualifying and stuff. Plus you get Richard Nichols's voiceover, of whom I hadn't heard commentanting since 2009 FIA GT at Zolder.

Of course, it's always recommended to see the Hindy/Shaw version before watching any of these
Old 24 Jul 2012, 12:00 (Ref:3110770)   #7
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiana View Post
Sure. Mid-Ohio is my least favourite track of the season actually, though it's obviously much better for sportscars than it is for IndyCar.
Mid-Ohio is actually a pretty good track to see the cars at, but I agree not very thrilling on TV.
Old 24 Jul 2012, 15:30 (Ref:3110849)   #8
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
TF110, the ALMS uses the same layout they've always used. All the professional series, as far as I can tell, have used the 2.259-mile configuration ever since they added that link road back around 1990 to bypass the first portion of "the Keyhole".

(With the full "Keyhole", the lap is 2.400 miles around.)
Old 24 Jul 2012, 17:38 (Ref:3110895)   #9
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
Hope the Lizards get thier win back here !!!
Old 24 Jul 2012, 19:48 (Ref:3110935)   #10
FstrthnU
Veteran

United States
FstrthnU should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFstrthnU should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFstrthnU should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Does anybody have any idea what happened to Performance Tech Motorsports and NGT Motorsport? Both of them have been missing from the races for quite some time now. Heck, Performance Tech was listed on Mosport's entry list but they never showed up for the actual race!
Old 24 Jul 2012, 21:03 (Ref:3110959)   #11
FordCosworthPanoz
Veteran

Bermuda
Flatts Village
FordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Will be there, sadly my camera will not. May be my last ALMS race in a while as I'm saving up a trip for the Belgian Grand Prix next year.

Mid Ohio isn't the most exciting track, but it is one hell of a deal. $110 for three days of Indycar, American Le Mans, SCCA WC and a "road to indy" race all with paddock access.
Old 24 Jul 2012, 21:12 (Ref:3110969)   #12
Articus
Veteran

Articus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridArticus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridArticus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
I think it's still broadcasted online @ Europe though
http://tentenths.com/forum/showpost....postcount=2669
Well in that case.....I will "be in Europe " next weekend.
Old 24 Jul 2012, 21:31 (Ref:3110983)   #13
Deleted
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Articus View Post
Well in that case.....I will "be in Europe " next weekend.
The proxy trick of awesomeness, eh?

Gotta agree with FCP, that's some really good value for money, though as a package Long Beach is better (IndyLights & Celebrity Pro/Am are more interesting than the other spec single seater supports)
Old 24 Jul 2012, 22:30 (Ref:3111006)   #14
Jonerz
Veteran

United States
Youston
Jonerz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJonerz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I've always liked Mid-O from the standpoint that it is fun to drive. There aren't many passing zones, but that isn't an issue with multi-class sports car racing where the pasting is built in.

Chris
Old 25 Jul 2012, 20:10 (Ref:3111391)   #15
Deleted
Veteran

Entry list is out
http://www.imsaracing.net/2012/event...try%20List.pdf

03x P1
04x P2
08x PC
13x GT
04x GTC

The Vipers are there to brighten up the day as expected, plus Dempsey is back in P2. Oddly enough GTC stays at four with only the teams from Mosport returning

Obviously P2 drops to 3 when Tucker eventually parks the #95
Old 25 Jul 2012, 20:15 (Ref:3111392)   #16
Accident
Veteran

Accident should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAccident should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAccident should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Looks like I'll just skip it live and watch it when it goes up for replay on their site. Had to do that for all the races this year after Sebring, so it won't be anything new to me...

I really hate this ****ing media package.
Old 25 Jul 2012, 21:02 (Ref:3111404)   #17
seanyb505
Veteran

United States
Simpsonville, SC
seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!
Hopefully tucker will try to use numbers to keep conquest at bay no that he's been beaten. It won't be pretty, but there will be more vehicles on track. Great to see - i mean know cause I can't actually watch - the vipers back.
Old 25 Jul 2012, 22:10 (Ref:3111419)   #18
Jonerz
Veteran

United States
Youston
Jonerz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJonerz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lebanza View Post
Looks like I'll just skip it live and watch it when it goes up for replay on their site. Had to do that for all the races this year after Sebring, so it won't be anything new to me...

I really hate this ****ing media package.
You don't get ABC?

Chris
Old 26 Jul 2012, 02:03 (Ref:3111472)   #19
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I've always enjoyed watching events at Mid Ohio. Sure it's not the greatest track in the world, but there's a high speed corner, a decent straight, at least two good passing zones, good elevation changes, a "carousel" and a great technical section with the beginning corner called "madness". I've always liked turn 11, and the run that follows through Thunder Vally into the carousel, as well. Too me, there is no "bad" part of the circuit, but nothing really stands my hair on end either. I really enjoyed it when the SCCA run offs were there, but those need to come home to Road ATL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FordCosworthPanoz View Post
Mid Ohio isn't the most exciting track, but it is one hell of a deal. $110 for three days of Indycar, American Le Mans, SCCA WC and a "road to indy" race all with paddock access.
That's a steal! Enjoy.
Old 26 Jul 2012, 10:28 (Ref:3111570)   #20
Accident
Veteran

Accident should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAccident should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAccident should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonerz View Post
You don't get ABC?

Chris
I do, but I don't want to watch a shortened version of the race. Just a bit frustrated as I'm excited to see the Vipers run, and I won't be able to follow things with live timing as I watch the streaming and instead will have to wait for it to be uploaded to the site and avoid this site and several others until then to not spoil the race.

To be fair though, the ALMS guys had the Mosport race up quickly, so hopefully we won't have to wait nearly a week for the Mid-Ohio race like we did for the Lime Rock race to be uploaded.

I still enjoy the hell out of the races when I can watch them, but it isn't nearly as fun as being able to truly follow the race with live timing, watch people's reactions here and on other forums as things happen, watch for clarifications and updates via the ALMS and team's twitter accounts, and all the stuff that goes with watching it live.

Maybe I'll warm up to it between now and then and watch the ABC broadcast, then re-watch the race when they post it to the site.
Old 26 Jul 2012, 18:56 (Ref:3111765)   #21
Deleted
Veteran

Interestingly, Leitzinger is back in #52, despite some earlier tweets gearing towards Franchitti getting seat time for a little bit longer. Marino's quali showing at Mosport probably didn't help...
Old 26 Jul 2012, 19:12 (Ref:3111772)   #22
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Interestingly, Leitzinger is back in #52, despite some earlier tweets gearing towards Franchitti getting seat time for a little bit longer. Marino's quali showing at Mosport probably didn't help...
Perhaps we could see Marino back if/when PR1 gets their 2nd car running.

I was looking at the entry list and noticed one of the sponsors for the Core #06 car is "Venezuela". The whole country?

I wonder if we will see the GTC class rise above 4 entries the rest of the season? Petit would have to be attractive to a lot of teams, and perhaps Road America since it is a 4hour race.
Old 26 Jul 2012, 19:36 (Ref:3111783)   #23
Deleted
Veteran

Marino could also be back with DW @ Petit if they somehow manage to get that thing off from collecting dust in some old Nissan-badged warehouse

It will be tight for LMPC teams to get extra entries for Petit, as they already have ~8 full season cars in the category and the class limit is 10 cars IIRC... plus of course with ELMS coming there's a slight possibility of oversubscribed field which would mean pre-qualifying eliminations again...

For GTC teams, I think both RA AND Baltimore are all possible venues for extra entries - 2nd Green Hornet coming back etc. Virginia is less glamorous so probably not there, though it's a good dress rehearsal for PLM
Old 26 Jul 2012, 19:43 (Ref:3111786)   #24
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
VIR is also 4 hours, so it may also be more attractive than the typical sprint round. In addition, some teams may see Virginia as especially appealing since nobody has a great deal of prior data on the place going into the event.
Old 26 Jul 2012, 19:48 (Ref:3111789)   #25
Deleted
Veteran

Agreed, and I also LOVE the track and surroundings (despite the configuration they're running). It's just that racing at Road America, as well as in the city streets in front of IndyCar crowd is probably a little bit more appealing for sponsors